Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Stunning Historical Iris: Historical Iris

Communities > Forums > Article: Stunning Historical Iris
bookmark
Forum: Article: Stunning Historical IrisReplies: 11, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roseberries
Atlanta, GA

September 12, 2007
2:53 PM

Post #3966443

Can someone tell me which of the old iris are fragrant? My best memory of the iris in my mother's garden was the heavy, wonderful fragrances, and I would like to plant some of those in my Georgia garden. I particularly like blues, lavenders, purples, pinks, and whites. I like solids rather than bicolors. My garden is very, very small, so
I think medium heights would be best for me. However, I would gladly give space to a
very fragrant tall iris!
HisWifeTiff
Centralia, MO

May 28, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #5015349

Thought I'd bump up this topic as I'm interested in fragrant iris as well ... any thoughts?
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #5015402

Head over to the Iris forum - they have tons of ideas and some of them might even share - it is almost the time to split Iris!
HisWifeTiff
Centralia, MO

May 28, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #5016806

I'd love to but I'm not a paid subscriber, I have to watch my pennies as we are on a fixed income and gas prices are really affecting us as I drive 60 miles round trip to work daily :(
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #5019778

I hear you there - I will try to get them to come over here.

Mitch
taj12
Parkersburg, WV

May 29, 2008
12:53 PM

Post #5019861

Hello His wife. I am not an Iris expert but I have an older type called Pallida(check spelling) they are blue and when blooming smell like grape nehi pop.

Understand completely on the gas prices and fixed income.

Hope this helps. taj12
mrsj
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #5019903

check out the growers websites - in their descriptions you will read the characteristics, etc. this is one:

http://www.schreinersgardens.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SIGO&Category_Code=FRAG
Scorpioangel
Gold Hill, OR
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5020167

Also ... you can google for fragrant Iris
http://www.google.com/search?q=fragrant Iris&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLD

http://www.walking-p-bar.com/shopsite/Fragrant-Iris.html is also a great site to look at

DebiV
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

May 29, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5020286

ya know, I've been reminded recently that there are several irises with strong perfumes that some folks don't much like. It's musky. I asked why folks don't care for it, and was told it smells a bit too much like the cat's box. LOL But they are right - that's a bit like it smells, I'd never thought of it that way and now can't smell it but think they're right.

the dark purples/black purples, a lot of them have that grape koolaid smell. I've seen so many irises lately, I can't think which others have pleasant fragrance!
pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5020340

I think that just about all of the old irises are fragrant. I visited Schreiners the other day where they have a bed dedicated to historic irises. I sniffed every single one of them and they were all fragrant. Purples are always a good bet in my opinion. If you take a stroll through an old neigborhood during bloom season you are bound to see some old irises. The next step is to sniff them and if they pass your criteria the next step is to ingratiate yourself to the homeowners.
HisWifeTiff
Centralia, MO

May 29, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5020593

great advice and links, thank you!
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5021659

I agree with pardalinum's advice. A lot of the older, historic irises are very fragrant and a lot of the time you see them growing in large clumps in people's yards. I just know they probably would not mind sharing with you, if you ask. With the size of some of the clumps I've been seeing blooming this spring in my local travels, they would never miss taking a rhizome or two and giving them to you. This year has been just an outstanding year for spring blooming plants of all kinds in our area. We've been very lucky. Alcazar is a historic, two tone purple that is very fragrant, and I see it growing everywhere.

I have two rebloomers, that you might consider for fragrance - Immortality and Clarence are not only beautiful plants, but they are both extremely fragrant. They are also reliable rebloomers for me in my zone.I wouldn't consider them that expensive either.

Laurie sells a lot of really nice irises. Her site is The Irises At Shadowood. I think her prices are very reasonable and the shipping cost is low as well.

I hope this info is of help to you.

Linda

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Stunning Historical Iris Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Just Beautiful!! Islandshari 17 Aug 4, 2013 9:36 PM
Iris pgilady 2 Aug 4, 2010 9:14 AM
My historicals inanda 1 Aug 28, 2007 9:40 PM
Help identify iris faitani 2 Aug 3, 2010 11:31 AM
Louisiana Yellow Flag Iris won't bloom TXjennywren 1 Aug 9, 2010 6:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America