Asters for Texas

San Antonio, TX

Does anyone know a source for those wonderful Asters that seem to thrive in the Texas heat and bloom so beautifully every Fall?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Sandy they are called Purple Fall Aster or Aromatic Aster,
Symphyotrichum oblongifolium, are these the ones you are talking about?
They should have them in many nurseries.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76317
Josephine.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

There is this Carolina Aster, Aster carolinianus, at the Montg county ext office that is beautiful, it's huge!

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

fly, is it pink? can't tell from the pic. I am hoping to find a pink and plant in between my white for some pzazz.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

voss, it is pink with yellow centers....but it can get huge, it's also called a climbing aster.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

the Willow leaf Aster, Symphyotrchum praeltum, is pink and very pretty too
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/139160
Josephine.

San Antonio, TX

It's the purple ones/ drought and heat tolerant that I am looking for. Thank's so much, Josephine. However, the references to the white ones have given me an idea to combine the two. Does anyone have experience with Stokes Aster? They are said to be good by the catalogs, but that is often not applicable to South Texas.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks as though I need another flowerbed....

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wildseed Farms in Fredricksburg, TX sells seeds for a lavender-blue daisy that they call Tahoka Daisy / Prairie Aster, Machaeranthera tanacetifolia (Asteraceae). Sorry, I do not know how to do links to their site. Just enter www.wildseedfarm.com and go to the list of Individual Species of Wildflower Seeds.

Sheral

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I think I have prairie aster. It is an awsome plant. Purple is one of my favorite colors in a flower and it's so wonderful to see it in the yard when so many other things are done for the year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.