How do I get rid of a skunk?

Wauneta, NE

We think we might have a skunk under our house. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get him out from under there? I am starting to think that I will try just about anything. Would really appreciate your help. Thanks

Mena, AR(Zone 7a)

We had one under the freezer in the garage. We called the animal control people. This is the best thing to do. The next best thing to do is start hunting it and try to trap it yourself if you live in the country . And the very best thing is shoot it (bad word I know but). Well, we lived in the city for when the animal controll people trapped it. We learned how to use a trap. We are now in the country and did trap one once. Then the last time came into play and we had to really do some hunting but I won't go into that. The way the animal controll people got it out from under the freezer was to take a hose and squirt it in the hiney and keep squirting it there so it can't raise its tail and squirt you with their scent. The guy made a tunnel to the trap with some logs and be sure to keep squirting it with the hose. My husband was helping with the squirting. The skunk came out and ran down the tunnel/path and into the trap. Then the skunk did get a little squirt out himself. Oh man my first time with up close skunk smell. But one of these methods might work.Good luck
Marion

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Smoke bombs! Light a few a throw them under the house, when it comes out, seal up the house.

If you trap it, use dead crickets or beetles for the bait. They love insects.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Or do like my neighbor did this morning. One cornered him in his garage. He took the lowly 2 x 4 to him. Skunk is dead, neighbor didn't smell good!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

melissach ~ I feel for you. We are awakened by that "wonderful" aroma every once in a while. Can't get the windows closed fast enough! And then....the aroma has permeated the house. No fun. Hope you fine a solution soon!

CountryGardens ~ Sure glad I wasn't drinking my morning Diet Coke when I read your reply!!! Laughed so hard!!!

Judy

Wauneta, NE

I think we might of caught it. Still trying to decide for sure if it was the one that was under the house or not though.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

End of story?

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

When DH pastored a small country church, we lived in the little parsonage next to the church. It was an old house that was fixed up nicely , but had old wood floors under the capret.

A couple times a skunk got under the house during the night and had a run-in with a cat. The fumes came up thru those old floors and filled our whole house....... at 2:00 am ! Whew ! It happened about 3 times before we could get that skunk out.

It's a funny memory now, but it wasn't so funny at the time. But our son who was 5th grade then, said someone told him on the school bus he smelled like a skunk. I guess his clothes had absorbed the odor. Poor kid.

A couple days went by, we got the house aired out and life went on.

I woke up at 2:00 am to the very faint whif of skunk, I quickly jumped up and grabbed DS's clothes for the next morning and stuffed them into a trash bag and put them into the refridgerator (before the house filled up with the smell) ! ! ! Bless his heart, I couldn't bear the thought of him going to school smelling like a skunk again.

Being a young pastor's wife, I consulted some of the men of the church as to what to do about the situation. They told me to throw some moth-balls under the house, it will drive the skunk away.

So I got on my knees at the opening to the crawlspace and threw 2 boxes full in every direction beneath the house.

When I went back in, the mothballs smell nearly asphixiated me !

I then called a handyman from town and paid him to go under there and collect all the moth balls so we could go inside again. Ugh !
(Didn't have the heart to tell people at church tho)

We ended up baiting the skunk with canned cat food and DH shot him. ...........finally.

We kept sealing up the crawlspace, but he would dig under. It was the only way.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Boy that's a rude awakening at 2am! Too funny about the mothballs! Although at the time I'm sure you didn't think so! I tried putting some out one time around the foundation to try and keep out ants-don't particularly like the smell of them myself!-didn't work with the ants either.

We had a family of skunks that would 'visit' our barn everyday. they would dig a hole under the sill and we'd fill it back in-this kept up for a while until we just couldn't stand the whiffy smell of skunk anymore! We set out Hava-hart traps with catfood. We would carefully load up the trap and relocate them on an abandoned property a mile a way. Don't know how we did it but we never got sprayed!
Sue :-)

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

That's why we didn't even consider trapping. Couldn't figure out how you could get close to the trap to deal with him, once he was in it. A little too risky.......... we'd had enough skunk smell already, couldn't take a chance on an 'up close and personal shot of it'. Glad that is over.

Waddy, KY

I think the key is to put a blanket or something over the cage so he can't see you and get upset. My father accidently caught one when he was trying to catch raccoons in his barn and he covered the trap and opened the door so the skunk could get out. He did it very carefully and was not sprayed.

Our Australian shepherd was stupid enough Friday night to take on a skunk while the kids were feeding the heifers. The girls thought the heifers had stirred Mr Phew up but all of a sudden they looked down and dear ole Sadie was foaming at the mouth, gagging, rolling on the ground and rubbing her face on the ground. It was BAD. I heard my adult daughter call her beloved pet names I wasn't sure she even knew the meaning of! Reckon she does as she was using them quite adequately. Anyway, the dog got a vinegar, baking soda and dishwashing liquid bath in the 300 gallon stock tank that night and has been banned from the house and truck for an indefinate period of time....

Janet

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Right there with ya, Janet! My yella lab got sprayed by a skunk on Monday and then Tuesday he got sprayed again, but this time he kept after that dang skunk and killed it! He, too, is banned from the house and truck.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

broncbuster, that's one determined dog you have there!!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

tomato juice for the dog....

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

ask it to leave......nicely? :o)

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

lol!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Don't shower and eat garlic raw and after a month you'll love your skunk!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images