Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Winter Sowing: stores selling seeds?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 21, Views: 279
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
iclavdivs
Landenberg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2007
12:32 PM

Post #3969927

Anybody seen any stores selling seeds right now? walmart? home depot?

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2007
1:16 PM

Post #3970054

Check out online sources, too... People have said good things about http://www.valueseeds.com/ (might be last year's seeds, but viability should be good for most things... sweet peas or onions might be iffy, stuff like that).

Unless you come across places that are still clearing out seeds from this spring, most stores here won't have seeds now.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2007
1:31 PM

Post #3970107

My gardening friend shared with me that the dollar stores were selling their seeds at clearance prices. So.. ..I checked it out and found many fall vegetable seeds at the Dollar General. The good part, only 12 cents a pack! Seed selections probably vary from store to store.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2007 8:32 AM
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #4038960

I think the only seeds I've seen at the WM I work for is cool season veggies.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #4062652

This site is a wholesaler of seeds - so you will get way too many, but you could buy some and then share the extras or use them for seed swaps.

I find they have sooo many varieties to choose from

http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=Hazwho
birdsnblooms

(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #4246702

Crosman's is GREAT for pricing and "staple" items.
http://crosmanseed.com/

Last year here in NH the stores started getting racks end of January- which was about 2 weeks earlier than they did in 2006. I hit them up early, and got the best selection of WM and Burpee's. I think HD got theirs about the same time.

TGN's Pumpkin Nook has Ferry Morse always at 50% off.
http://www.goestores.com/catalog.aspx?Merchant=PremierStarCompany&DeptID=29148

Swallowtail Gardens is another good source.
http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/

This message was edited Nov 30, 2007 11:16 AM
girlgroupgirl

November 30, 2007
7:09 PM

Post #4247221

At work we sell seeds. It is really hard to be able to stock seed all year, and this time of year for winter sowing. We did make our order early as most of our seed customers winter sow (I teach it at work), and had to explain to the seed company we use why we want the seeds so early - as soon as they can be shipped.
I've also mentioned this to a few other seed houses who have said that as the movement grows, they will try to have seed ready earlier but it is hard for them to have the seed ready and shipped for packaging too early in the season...

GGG
birdsnblooms

(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #4247234

GGG- Don't know what the rules are for "self promotion" but would love to know where you work, and if you have mail order available if someone would like to buy from you that isn't local. D-mail me if we can't shamelessly plug ;)
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2007
7:27 PM

Post #4247294

Boy, Hazzards really has a huge variety and nice prices. If I had a hundred friends to share a pack with, I would definitely buy from them! Fun to look at all of their offerings.

Gee, birdsnblooms, I shamelessly plug a good thing that I think other DGers should know about all the time! Girlgroupgirl, Do tell!

Also, Park's Seeds is having their clearance--many seeds for 99 cents--

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=gatepage&gate=1DollarSeed

I went out to buy birdseed at the feed store last week and they were selling seed packets for 35 cents each and they said it wasn't a sale but they had in fact raised their price from 25 cent last month. The seed packets were from 'Bentley' seeds--I don't know if the company is any good, but, I guess we'll see. I mostly bought herb seeds--caraway, coriander, fennel, parsleys, oregano, sage, dill, summer savory, sweet marjoram--which of course I had already ordered from Park's sale a few weeks ago and forgot about!

I've said it before, but I'll say again that I like Renee's Seeds and I have a thing about Specialty Perennials/Hardy Plants seeds--I love all of their variety and dull homey website.

I've already received T & M, Park's, Pinewood, and a few other seed catalogs. I think they are coming out earlier than last year...

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2007
8:27 PM

Post #4247528

Click on "acceptable use policy" at the bottom of the page, and you'll see that self promotion is pretty strictly against the rules. GGG really can't discuss particulars or answer business questions on a forum thread, but she can answer via Dmail. You're not supposed to send *unsolicited* Dmail to somebody about your business, but if they ask a question or say something like, "hey, I know you sell rare cacti so be sure to let me know if you ever have any twirly thorned whatchamajiggers available," then you can Dmail information to them. At least, that's my understanding of how I've seen that rule applied.

At times I think it's a silly rule because I'd love to know more about what my buddies are doing, and I know I miss some opportunities because they're not allowed to mention stuff... but without that rule I have no doubt the forums would be overrun with commercial posts.

Well, that was probably a way longer response than anybody was expecting! LOL, I just don't want to see a good thread pulled (and other threads have been).

Seed catalogs have started arriving here also... I agree, they're earlier this year -- but I think that's a good thing! (unless they sell out before I order. then I shall be all grrrrrr.)

:-)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #4247557

3 catalogs yesterday, way too early for me. If I put them away until after the holidays I will forget where, not to mention not having the space, so into the recycle bin they went. It's like putting up a Christmas tree after the 4th of July. Seed catalogs are supposed to come in January. period.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2007
9:16 PM

Post #4247704

Disagree! I'm poring over anything I can get my hands on right now. Now is when I do planning for next season.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #4247776

Oh, sure. I understand 'Acceptable Use'. I don't like to be accosted on forums by people selling things, either, but I am happy when people share info about their business that is helpful. Someone can certainly tell where they work or make a link, if they want to, I would think. And I always give a plug for others' businesses if I think they are good and worthy. But definitely, discretion counts for a lot...

Three more catalogs came in the mail today, too. One was White Flower Farms full of Christmas Amaryllis at very high prices. Another selling greenhouses. Now THAT I would be interested in!

larlienda
Strasburg, VA
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #4248157

i love the catalogs...i bought a container to hold them together or at least that is the hope :-)

i have a container (old child's suitcase) for seeds, but it appears after a year i should look to use my old steamer trunk ;-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2007
11:21 PM

Post #4248233

Yeah, I don't think I've ever bought any amayrllis from WFF... but they do have really luscious photos in those catalogs!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2007
1:16 PM

Post #4249777

WAAAAAAAA! Where are my seed catalogues?????? I LOVE pouring over them - and cutting them up! I find the seeds I have received in trades or purchased and cut out the descriptions and paste them in a book by flower colour and size, so all the blue flowering plants under 12 inches are together etc.

Gee, I hope the postie brings me some seed catalogues today!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #4251552

Seandor, when you get your scrap book put together, don't forget to publish it!

It sounds like it has some very valuable information organized in a very valuable fashion!

No catalogs today. But did go to another feed 'n seed store (looking for bird suet) and found seed packets for 29 cents a pack. (I paid 35 cents for them at another feed store). So I was bummed.

momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #4253693

I was able to get some 2008 seeds at my local nursery. I got Columbine Black Currant Ice, Anemone Rose Beauty, Sunflower Peach Passion, Larkspur Sydney Blue Picotee, Phlox Ethnie Light Blue, and Lupine Sunrise. These are all new to me, and I am so anxious to start them!!

Usually this time of year, I have been able to pick up last season's seeds for .10 to 0.25 a pack, they didn't have any old seeds just the new ones, but these are all new varieties for me. The columbines and Anemones I think I'll winter sow, I haven't had a lot of luck starting seeds with Columbines, but this one looks so pretty, I had to give it a try!!

Deb
larlienda
Strasburg, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2007
6:58 PM

Post #4253945

seandor...that is a great idea!
i had thought about cutting out pictures of things i had bought, however your idea helps with planning for future :-)
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #4254575

Still no seed catalogues - and I just ordered $27 worth of seeds on sale at Parks. sigh . . . like I need more seeds. lol

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2007
10:22 PM

Post #4254726

I've had great luck wintersowing columbines!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #4257921

Yes, I got wonderful wintersown columbines last year too and ordered more seeds this year. I guess I could have collected the seeds, but I didn't think of it at the time...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America