Photo by Melody

Article: Preserving the Bounty, a Summary of Food Preservation (Part 2): Freezable foods

Communities > Forums > Article: Preserving the Bounty, a Summary of Food Preservation (Part 2)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Preserving the Bounty, a Summary of Food Preservation (Part 2)Replies: 3, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Chilko
Precipice Valley, BC
(Zone 2a)

September 14, 2007
8:05 PM

Post #3975508

Hi Paul

thanks for your articles--I've forwarded them to my niece, who is just starting to be interested in gardening and preserving.

Regarding yourr "foods that don't freeze well", I've had a different experience with rhubarb and sweet peppers. I've been freezing chopped rhubarb for a few decades in order to make rhubarb crumbles, matrimonial cakes and other delights during our long winters. I've never found that it goes mushy (I don't blanch first). And since we are many, many hours from the nearest source of fresh vegetables in the winter I've resorted to freezing peppers, as well. I simply slice them thickly, lay them on a sheet and quickly freeze them, then bag or box them. As with whole small tomatoes you wouldn't want to use them totally thawed in a salad but they are wonderful for stir fries, casseroles and the like.

Rosemary

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #3976066

Thanks for the info.

Paul
Prettylady1
Warrensburg, MO

December 7, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #4269614

I have to agree with Chilko. For many years I have been cutting up bell peppers and freezing them. Of course the only way to use them then is cooked in something. I also cut up and freeze rhubarb. Used while still frozen they make a wonderful pie. Add the rhubarb just before you put it into the oven. Bake as normal. I also grate and freeze zucchini for using in my bread later. Also freezing nuts keep them from going rancid longer. If you don't plan on freezing some thing for a very long time, old frosting containers are a perfect 2 cup measure. No they are not sealed. Just don't keep it so long as to pick up odd smells and tastes.
red7calico
Okmulgee, OK

October 11, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #8149805

I too cut up rhubarb into 1 to 1-1/2 inch chunks and freeze and then use later. Since it will be cooked either in a pie or a rhubarb sauce I have not noticed any difference between frozen and fresh. I do have a question on pears. We have an abundance of pears this year but I do not want to can them and have them mushy later. I can't stand mushy pears. Does anyone have a technique for pears where they are still crisp when you eat them later?:

Dee Ann
red7calico@aol.com

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Preserving the Bounty, a Summary of Food Preservation (Part 2) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice Article threegardeners 4 Oct 11, 2010 6:37 AM
yucca seeds gunca 1 Sep 3, 2007 10:12 AM
enjoying series sal522 1 Sep 4, 2007 6:33 PM
Thank You Fairleigh 0 Sep 5, 2007 5:02 PM
Keeping onions 1745 0 Sep 25, 2007 2:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America