what to do?

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

ok the past month we have lost 2 calves(we think to coyotes) when we find them dead they are either got magets on them or they are bones ,so we arent sure what is going on,we know there is coyotes around here and as dry as it has been we think their food source is running out and that might be why they are going for the calves but then we heard yesterday that there is 2 black panthers in morganton which is about 45 minutes away so now we are thinking it could be black panthers,has anyone else ever had to deal with something like this and if so what did you do to get rid of them,we have heard through the grape vine that they have put the coyotes here to get the deer population down,well i thought that is what the hunting was for lol we are putting up 3 strains of wire around the fence,hoping that will keep them out, my husband has bought a thing that sounds like hurt animals to call them in to kill them but no luck i would love to hear what you all have done to get this resolved plmk and thxs for your help thxs

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Hmmm, my first line of defense is a livestock guardian dog. I work with Anatolian Shepherd Rescue and we do at times get experienced livestock guardians in the rescue. www.nasrn.com

Hope you get your problems resolved.

Lana

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

Without a trained dog to stand watch if it were me personally I would want to try to herd my cattle into a closer area at night to take away the temptation if at all possible. I am assuming this is happening at night .......

Then I would try to bait the predator in and sit out with a rifle to pick it or them off. I think coyotes travel in pairs a lot of the time, atleast here they seem to. Hope it's not a panther, but I guess anything is possible.

Here are a couple links that might help. Any of the neighbors having issues ??

If you contact the DNR sometimes they will come out and assess then they will trap an animal for you so they can re-locate it.

Were the kills close together area wise... I have no clue how many acres your cattle are spread across. You could maybe get one or two of those trail "night" cams that the hunters use to stake out their blinds/feed piles with . Atleast you would have a chance of seeing what was actually doing the damage if you can't sit out there personally. Give you an idea of what you are dealing with maybe.

If you don't hunt you might have a friend or a family member that would be thrilled to sit out on stake out and take care of it for you.

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/about39188-0-asc-0.html ** WARNING ** PICS ON THIS LINK !!

http://www.extension.org/pages/Coyote_Damage_Assessment

http://www.nationaltrappers.com/coyote.html

A lot of folks go with the Shoot, Shovel and Shut up philosophy just to be on the safe side of things......

Good luck, hope you find out what is killing the calves !!!

Julie

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

yes the neighbirs are loosing their goats
DNR i dont think they wil come out and catch it because someone let them loose to keep the deer population down
yes the kills where like 50 feet from each other and yes we think this is happening at night but not sure on that either
he has 52 acers but i think only like 45 or so is in pasture
thxs for the links will check them out

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Moretz... Happy belated Birthday!!!
Hope you get your problem solved with the calves....NC is my home, and many years ago we had issues with the cougars attacking the livestock during particularly dry summers in Sampson and Duplin counties...

Dusty

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

thxs well we really dont know what is doing this but a neighbor has caught a coyote on his camera,i told hubby to buy a camera and set it up where this has been happening so we might be able to figure it out thxs again

Waddy, KY

Usually around here coyotes attack only the newborn calves. Usually before the cow has a chance to get up or get turned around from dropping the calf. They're just sitting by waiting and momma isn't fast enough to stomp him in the ground. Once they're up and moving around and the cow has recovered from birth the cows pretty much band together in the field and run anything that's remotely strange out of the field.

If you're checking your calves twice a day and doing a head count you should come across any dead calves quick enough to get an idea of what's doing them in. Good Luck

Janet

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Consider getting a Jackass and keep it with your cattle. They work great on coyotes. It could also handle the panther.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

that is what alot of people are telling me will have to tell fil and see what he thinks thxs

Upper Marlboro, MD(Zone 7a)

This photo has been circulating a while on the internet. You can find more info if you Google "mule attacks cat". I'd agree that a mule, burro, or donkey is your best bet.

Thumbnail by AnnaB264
hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

oh how cool thxs

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Here in Texas, you see most cattle ranches have donkeys in the pastures with their cows. They tend to keep the coyotes and cats out.
We have a small ranch 54 acres with just 15 cows and so far no problems with coyotes even though you can hear them howl at night and it sounds like they are near.
Good luck!
Charlene

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Our rescue has a couple of livestock guard dogs needing homes out west. I think they're in Seattle but our rescue will try to work up a transport up to 1000 miles. Just go to our website and contact one of the western rescue coordinators www.nasrn.com

Lana

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I posted a thread here in farm life about an experienced livestock guard dog available thru my rescue.

Lana

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Animals killed by the big cats (cougar, mountain lion, etc. can usually be identified because the kill will be covered by grass, leaves, small brush. Coyotes usually do not cover kills, and seldom return to a kill for a second feed.
Have found many deer killed by cats, but have not lost a calf that I know of. Coyotes love kid goats, and will kill several in a single night if they have the opportunity. Coyotes can be called with predator calls, especially just at dusk, and at daybreak.
Robert

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Coyotes in my area will return to a kill. A lamb or calf killed one night will be finished off the next night. If we are lucky we can shoot the coyote as it comes back to the carcas. A fresh kill will have wounds in the lower side of the throat. Coyotes open the abdomen and eat the liver and heart before eating the hind quarters. If a female is teaching her pups to hunt, there isn't much left the next morning, depending on the size of the prey. I haven't seen multiple kills, but when one carcas is consumed they kill another animal. Dogs will kill for sport and will kill several animals before they tire of it. Usually they just leave the dead animal and go after another one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images