Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cooking: Need way to sneak in some vegies

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 18, Views: 148
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
oldklingon
Olney Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #3987120

Long story no punch line. Start with 1 widowed dad, 1 14 year old son who sees little use in vegies, 1 large can of beef ravioli in meat sauce. Goal some kind of make it quick casserole that gets ravioli and some kind of vegies (frozen is better) and ravioli inside of dad and son. Also open to other "lets make it quick I'm tired from work while at least pretending its nutritious" ideas. One pot only to wash, prefered.

Am laughing after reading this, but still could use some advice.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3987157

chop up some zucchini and cook it in with your ravioli and sauce ;)
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2007
3:14 PM

Post #3989011

Frozen corn is usually a more than acceptable addition to the mix. Frozen peas work the same way. Also, I've often added cabbage and carrots to braised meats as they cook; the cabbage pretty much disappears into the gravy and diced carrots are too tiny to be worth fishing out.

I make a lot of salsa pork as my DH likes it: 1 big jar of salsa, one 3-lb pork butt/shoulder. Braise it together with 3/4 of the jar size of water and add veggies to cook with it. Or, I defrost frozen chopped spinach in the microwave and add it into the gravy after I de-fat it. They REALLY can't pick that veggie out and leave it behind, LOL!

My DH takes lunch to work to save money. When I make a sandwich, I use the Sarah Lee whole wheat bread - it's higher in fiber than white (2g per slice) yet has that spongy softness like Wonder Bread, that he grew up with and prefers. Then instead of lettuce and butter, I use Best Foods/Hellmans low-fat mayonnaise and fresh spinach leaves. Much more fiber than lettuce and again, it disappears with the sandwich bread so you hardly even notice. Tomatoes are too juicy so I pack them separately along with the pickles; DH adds them when he's ready to eat lunch and then brings the little Tupperware container back home.

Just don't make a big fuss about it, and try to keep the junk food snacks and sodas out of the house. Nagging never works and gets people's backs up. My husband doesn't eat a lot of fresh fruit, for instance, but if I make a fruit salad and serve it as dessert, or as an addition to the weekend breakfast, he'll eat it all.

It's really more important to be watching the sodium and saturated fat or transfat contents. Interestingly enough, it takes a very long time to get off the high salt/high sugar cravings. I don't believe in making people go cold turkey, just want them to be more conscious of their food choices. It's really hard, though, if you don't have time to cook from scratch. Prepared foods tend to be extremely high in sodium/sugar/fat. Good luck!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

September 21, 2007
1:04 PM

Post #4001158

Get a crockpot. The recipe book has some great ideas, and better yet - start it when you get up, and it's ready when you two get home. The smells alone when walking in the door will cause the veggies to disappear. Stews, roasts, etc. - all good.

There are some good threads here and in Recipes for such cooking.
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #4004005

Hi, newbie here. I just made a zuchinni pie that everyone thought was apple. I guess the sugar cancels out the veggies?
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #4004602

When I am trying to sneak in veggies (normally fresh ones), I saute them then puree them and add them to the sauce or meatloaf or stuffing. I've also finely grated raw veggies into recipes and that works too. I've notice that it's the big chunks of veggies that get pulled out but that's hard to do if you cannot see them:lol:
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

September 24, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #4013409

I used to grate squash into my chili or meat loaf. Carrots too. anything to get them into my kids.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #4030816

Jerry Seinfeld's wife came out with her own book on the very premise of mixing healthy food purees into meals, check this amazon link, the first 2 books on the list seem to fit your needs.

http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-1115217-9150449?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=seinfeld
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #4044474

Good idea on the puree thing. I've never done that, but I'm gonna start!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2007
8:50 PM

Post #4045456

It does work and adds moisture and flavor without the bits and pieces for picky eaters. I make a pasta salad that calls for minced sweet onion and one of my coworkers requested it without onions. I asked if it was an allergy and she said she just didn't like biting into cooked or raw onion. I used a fine grater and ended up with pulp and juice and she never noticed it was in there.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #4048411

that's what I need to do for my DiL, she just can't take onion in any form. She's tried, I'll give her an "A" for trying!
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

October 11, 2007
8:01 AM

Post #4071044

Oh man I love onions..but I know that when I was a kid I didn't like them.. that puree thing sounds good.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2007
12:19 PM

Post #4071273

The other day on Oprah, Jessica Seinfeld was on there talking about ways she hides veggies in foods that really taste good. She has a cookbook out called Deceptively Delicious and she tried out the following on a whole classroom: brownies, pizza, tacos, all kinds of things and puts broccoli, spinach, squash, peas, cauliflower and more in many things. Here's the link to Oprah's page on Jessica:

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200710/tows_past_20071008.jhtml?promocode=HP31
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #4076443

lol misty, thats what I said to!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #4076999

Yes, I noticed after I sent it...sorry...not stepping on toes ...oops.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #4077972

No problem! You gave a different link. Just amazing how far reaching her booktour is---everyone's hearing about it though I'd never heard of her before!

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2007
7:41 PM

Post #4089980

Super-Simple Beef Stew

12 ounces red potatoes, quartered
1 cup frozen chopped onions
1 pound beef stew meat
10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup(or celery)
1 cup beef broth
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram or thyme, crushed
9 ounces frozen cut carrots, thawed
9 ounce package frozen cut green beans, thawed

In 3 1/2 to 4 quart crock-pot place potatoes, onions, meat, soup, broth and marjoram/thyme. Stir to combine.

Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours. If using low-heat, turn to high-heat setting last 1/2 hour of cooking. Stir in thawed carrots and green beans. Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes more. Serves four.

2 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup frozen chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/4 cup tomato catsup
1 cup frozen chopped green sweet pepper
2 stalks celer, chopped
1/2 cup water 3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons prepared mustard
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder

In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.

In 3 1/2 or 4 quart crock-pot combine catsup, sweet pepper, celery, water, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, Worchestershire sauce, and chili powder. Stir in meat mixture.

Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Spoon into toasted hamburg buns.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2007 2:51 PM

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2007
8:27 PM

Post #4090084

Sloppy Joes

2 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup frozen chopped onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/4 cup tomato catsup
1 cup frozen chopped green sweet pepper
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons prepared mustard
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
16 hamburger buns, split and toasted

In large skillet cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onions are tender. Drain off fat.

In a 3 1/2 to 4 quart crock-pot combine catsup, sweet pepper, celery, water, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and chili powder. Stir in meat mixture.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Spoon into toasted buns.

Servings: 8 to16(depends on 1 or 2 buns each)

Chicken Cacciatore

1 cup sliced celery
1 cup frozen sliced carrots
1 1/2 cups frozen chopped onions
1 cup frozen sweet green peppers
1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
12 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
14 1/2 ounces canned diced tomatoes
1/3 cup tomato paste
hot cooked pasta or rice

In 5 to 6 quart crock-pot combine celery, onions, sweet pepper, and garlic. Cover vegetables with chicken. Add broth, wine corn starch, bay leaves, oregano, sugar, salt and black pepper.

Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

Remove chicken and keep warm. Remove bay leaves and discard. If using low setting, turn to high. Stir in carrots, tomatoes and tomato paste. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer on high; add chicken back to sauce and rewarm 5 minutes. Serve over pasta or rice.

Servings: 6

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #4090190

Cool oldklingon-----your thread has a lot of views so must be a tough subject to master! You'll have to update us on an recipes that were a hit!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America