Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Houseplants: how to start a new plant from clippings? :)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 4, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
indnangl
Antioch, IL

September 18, 2007
7:46 PM

Post #3990073

Can anyone tell me the proper way to start a plant from a couple clippings? A friend gave me a couple from her long plant (I don't know what it is, but it hangs.) Do I keep it in water and wait until it gets roots?
Thank you for any info.

Machikoneko

Machikoneko
Hometown, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #3990445

Most common vines root very well in water. I do it all the time; I even have some growing in only water.
If you could post a picture of the plant in question, it would be very helpful. You could get much more specific advise about your species.

Hope this helps.

Marsha.
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #3994835

Most of my house plants cutting is done in water, I am trying new things now I have some in stright perlit, and water 1 X aweek. I have some growing in a Terrarium some are African Violets leaves and baby grow fast in a Terrarium
Hope this helps a little and if you notice we are all from IL. I am real close to where you live
Kim

Machikoneko

Machikoneko
Hometown, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2007
9:00 AM

Post #3996141

All Illinois gardeners...enjoying our good weather now, but bracing for what we know is coming... *sigh* (Are your plants inside yet?)

Soon it'll be time to look at the pictures from gardeners in zones 9-10, and be jealous while we look out the window at two feet of snow.

But I still wouldn't trade the change of seasons for anything, no matter how much I gripe!

That's the good thing about indoor gardening- we can still get our hands dirty, even in January.

Marsha.
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2007
11:07 AM

Post #3996240

Marsha
that is so true I love to make cutting do some transplanting and stay in the house I do seasonal work so I am off in most winters unless I can get a inside job. well have to go to work now so have a great day
Kim

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America