Photo by Melody

Beginner Houseplants: how to start a new plant from clippings? :)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 4, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
indnangl
Antioch, IL

September 18, 2007
7:46 PM

Post #3990073

Can anyone tell me the proper way to start a plant from a couple clippings? A friend gave me a couple from her long plant (I don't know what it is, but it hangs.) Do I keep it in water and wait until it gets roots?
Thank you for any info.

Machikoneko

Machikoneko
Hometown, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #3990445

Most common vines root very well in water. I do it all the time; I even have some growing in only water.
If you could post a picture of the plant in question, it would be very helpful. You could get much more specific advise about your species.

Hope this helps.

Marsha.
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #3994835

Most of my house plants cutting is done in water, I am trying new things now I have some in stright perlit, and water 1 X aweek. I have some growing in a Terrarium some are African Violets leaves and baby grow fast in a Terrarium
Hope this helps a little and if you notice we are all from IL. I am real close to where you live
Kim

Machikoneko

Machikoneko
Hometown, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2007
9:00 AM

Post #3996141

All Illinois gardeners...enjoying our good weather now, but bracing for what we know is coming... *sigh* (Are your plants inside yet?)

Soon it'll be time to look at the pictures from gardeners in zones 9-10, and be jealous while we look out the window at two feet of snow.

But I still wouldn't trade the change of seasons for anything, no matter how much I gripe!

That's the good thing about indoor gardening- we can still get our hands dirty, even in January.

Marsha.
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2007
11:07 AM

Post #3996240

Marsha
that is so true I love to make cutting do some transplanting and stay in the house I do seasonal work so I am off in most winters unless I can get a inside job. well have to go to work now so have a great day
Kim

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America