Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Orchids: How Long Does Bloom Last?

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 11, Views: 143
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JenJenna
Menomonie, WI

September 19, 2007
4:46 PM

Post #3993333

Questions don't get any more newb than these, lol. They weren't easily found using the search button so, I'm just going to ask.

So I finally got my orchid to bloom. One of the blooms has been open for about 3 weeks now and is still going strong so now I'm curious as to how much longer it's gonna last. So, how long do Phalaenopsis (I think that's what I have anyway) last?

Also, after the bloom goes bye-bye, what do I do then? Cut the stem (would that be "spike"?) off? Would I do this at the very bottom?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thumbnail by JenJenna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 20, 2007
4:16 AM

Post #3995867

Jenna, I'm sure one of the experts will pop in with answers to your questions, but I just wanted to say what a gorgeous color that Phal is!! Wow!

Joanne (also a newb. LOL).
JenJenna
Menomonie, WI

September 20, 2007
10:31 PM

Post #3998750

Thank you, Grow Jo!

Well, it's still alive today. I've never had any flower last this long and I love it!
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 20, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #3998854

I know what you mean, that's what I love about orchids too. The blooms last for weeks and weeks. (On the ones I have, anyway.)

Joanne
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

September 22, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #4005776

Phal flowers last a LONG TIME.Many weeks in a cool room. After blooming you can either cut the stem down to the base or back to the first flower node on the spike and it may make ANOTHER spike from there.
JenJenna
Menomonie, WI

September 22, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #4006057

Tommy, thank you, thank you, thank you for that information! I will shoot for another spike!

And since I already have a newb thread started, I just noticed some silly looking things on one of my other orchids. Is.. is this what I think it is... a spike? See it and do you see the other little one? If this isn't a spike, break it to me softly, lol.

Also, if that is a spike, is it going to get thicker/stronger? I don't see this thing growing too much more before falling over.

Also, what on earth kind of orchid would you guess this to be?

Thumbnail by JenJenna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

September 23, 2007
10:51 AM

Post #4007459

I think they are both spikes. I believe that orchid is a Dendrobium. Google "Dendrobium care".

Tom
boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #4011828

I think that guy growing up high with the roots is a keiki (baby plant) that you can take off, plant, and give to a friend. Lots of dendrobium produce them. If you don't want to grow new ones, I heard cut back on watering. Anyone a den. expert out there?
JenJenna
Menomonie, WI

September 24, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #4012782

Really, boojum? Way cool! I'll have to search the website and see if there's any trick to cutting that bit off. THANK YOU!
boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2007
11:57 PM

Post #4013464

I just gently wiggle them off.
Marianinark
Compton, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #4063111

My phal blooms last at least 4 months !

Wow! I wish my Dendrobium would do that! It is getting ready to open it's first bloom for this season. ( It would have had 2 bloom stalks, but a katydid ate one off! I had it out on the deck.)
JenJenna
Menomonie, WI

October 9, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #4063475

Blooms still going strong! I had NO idea they'd last this long and could last months longer. I'm impressed! And I want more orchids now, lol.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America