Photo by Melody

Handyman: Frozen drive cable on Troybilt tiller.... HELP!

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 2, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #3995128

I have a small Troybuilt tiller. The drive cable is frozen ~ probably humidity. Should have kept it lubed but didn't.

I have been dosing it with Kroil penetrating oil on both ends of the cable. No change yet.

Does anyone have any experience with breaking one of these free? Do I just replace it? Am I in the wrong forum?

TIA ~ pod
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

September 21, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #4001229

It would probably be quicker to replace the cable. Just remember to lube it and cover the tiller to prevent the rain from washing all oil or graphite out and rusting it tight again.

I have removed and soaked such cables in WD40 for a few days. After the soaking treatment - some rags and a pair of pliers will allow you to get it working (or break it). It usually works, but the amount of rust that is released shows how much damage has been done to the metal. A couple broke soon after re-installing. Now, I tend to replace first - and store such tools in the garage. Humidity can still rust them, but not nearly so much damage.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #4003579

Thanks much for the response. I had about decided that was the way out. I can then take the old cable and if I loosen it, I will have a backup. Appreciate you... pod

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America