Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Article: In Such A Pickle! Pickle History and How to Make Pickles: OK, I'm hungry now!

Communities > Forums > Article: In Such A Pickle! Pickle History and How to Make Pickles
bookmark
Forum: Article: In Such A Pickle! Pickle History and How to Make PicklesReplies: 9, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2007
4:51 AM

Post #4000546

Ooooh, that sounds so wonderful. Would you believe I have never tasted homemade pickles? I feel deprived...gotta find someone who makes them now. Thanks for the interesting history, too--I'll bet not many folks know that!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2007
9:54 AM

Post #4000741

Lovely article Mel, great information and wonderful photos. I've always loved that TJ quote :)
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #4000955

Thanks Mel!
We've always loved pickle concoctions around here!

:-S

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 21, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #4001075

We make pickles all the time. Never have figured out the hot water bath for pickles. We always use the dark vinegar, so maybe that;'s the difference. Never heard of anyone dieing from a pickle!
Bread & Butter, Dill, Watermelon, & Beet pickles are my favorite, in that order.
Bernie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2007
2:19 PM

Post #4001454

Gosh, I used to make pickles, not to eat next year but to eat right away. They were yummy, too. I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday but didn't have time to cook what I bought... hmmmmm. Maybe...

xxx, Carrie
Arias
Richmond, VA

September 21, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #4002587

Thanks Mel, it gave me a good feeling looking at the pictures.. Just thinking about the pickles my grandma used to make. Hot summer days, long ago.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

September 21, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #4002740

Now I can hardly wait for DD's cucumbers to ripen! Thanks for a great article Mel!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2007
8:38 PM

Post #4002752

Thanks ya'll! It was fun to write, and fun to research. I've been known to make pickles from just about any fresh produce...whatever's handy, I just throw in the brine...they all come out good.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2007
5:53 AM

Post #4004324

Great article Melody!!

I also like to can pickles, beets other veggies. Do you have a favortie dill pickle recipe you can share?

Dan
ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6960503

Great article, thank you! I have not yet tried the hot water bath either, hubby and I just started a few weeks ago with simple refrigerator pickle recipes. So many inexpensive cucumbers at the Farmer's Market this time of year!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: In Such A Pickle! Pickle History and How to Make Pickles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Pickles GardeningGramma 0 Sep 25, 2007 3:34 PM
This just popped up in FunRandom Article Bookerc1 1 Aug 8, 2009 1:04 PM
Is there a way to make pickles w/o salt? bolino 6 Aug 18, 2009 8:22 PM
Fascinating history of pickles pajaritomt 10 Aug 24, 2009 1:22 AM
pickles in a barrel? DiggerDee 2 Aug 18, 2009 10:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America