Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder: I thought I was the only one!

Communities > Forums > Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder
bookmark
Forum: Article: Confessions of a Compulsive WeederReplies: 6, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2007
7:29 AM

Post #4004403

Loved this. I use weeding for anger management. As we have just moved into a new home, my introduction to gardening was from weeding, AND I LOVED IT. Plenty of ivy, weeds and monkey grass, not to mention shrubs, needed to be removed. After I started that, then I wanted to plant. Weeding was the start of it all. I get a certain satisfaction out of finding a difficult, long rooted piece of crabgrass and following it a good 5 feet. When I am really frustrated, out comes the maddox or hatchet (I no longer have bradford pears :~D).

I have tried to explain this to people. It is not a gentle, benign art, it is true agression at its best and it is wonderful.

Thank goodness our yard is so overgrown that I have a lifetime of getting rid of ivy. If I ran out, I would probably plant more, just to start all over again.
Astramorgaine
Columbus, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2007
5:51 PM

Post #4012241

I definitely get funny looks when I confess my love for pulling weeds! I can relate to a lot of things the author has mentioned! I mentally rip feelings and thoughts out of my life as I pull the unwanted plant from the ground. A weed is after all just a plant that one hasn't found a use for. A rosebush could be considered a weed to someone who doesn't want it growing in their garden, right? Kudos to the author, I enjoyed reading your confession immensely. As I pull the sorrel and pokeweed from the ground, I shall remember your dwarf analogy :)
Noturf
Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French)

August 31, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #7007753

Weeds are consequence of empty spaces, lots of sun. I do not have that problem,
thanks perhaps of the situation of my garden beds among cement. More info and pictures: http://endemismotrasnochado.blogspot.com/

On the other hand, the horticulture I practice/plan is one with mostly pleasure activities: propagating and collecting. I do not know anyjuan mentally healthy
that finds weeding fun at all.. In my book is a waste of energy, something wrong
in the process. Even if you have energy, stamina and a body in good shape.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #7007916

You brightened up my day, so enjoyed your article..had me laughing and also wanting to sign up in your 'weed pulling' group...what therapy it is...
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #7008981

Noturf: That's nice, I guess, if you have cement inbetween your gardens, as concrete is harder for weeds to grow in than soil, but I like empty spaces with Dirt, maybe some mulch over it, even if it does get weeds sometimes. And Weeding does not mean you are mentally unbalanced; don't you see? Some people enjoy weeding because they can take out their frustrations as they yank-out that big weed! To some, they can weed as they are thinking about a problem, as weeding takes no toll on your brain-power! It isn't a waste of energy, because it makes the area look better if it is weed-free. Also, it is good exercise, just like other gardening activities are. If you get no weeds in your garden area, that's great for you; you have more time to propagate and collect, and do all the things you enjoy. But to some gardeners, weeding is another Enjoyable gardening activity! =)
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #7009019

Lori, loved your article, as many other readers did also! It was fun and enjoyable to read; I should do #3, but always forget my gloves, hence the green stain under my fingernails much of the time! =)
J2222
Southern California, CA

September 7, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #7037240

I loved this article, too. I am like this, too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Weeds-be- gone! CountryGardens 39 Sep 1, 2009 2:21 AM
Weeds-be-gone wolfwolf 0 Sep 10, 2007 4:46 PM
Very Humorous! NEILMUIR1 31 Sep 4, 2009 2:31 PM
Yes arejay59 0 Aug 30, 2009 11:24 AM
Should have posted a warning... the1pony 0 Aug 31, 2009 1:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America