Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Moonflowers not opening

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 13, Views: 244
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CrustyOleFool
Knifley, KY

September 24, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #4009905

Planted Moonflowers from seed in May here in South Central Ky. Finally started getting blooms this week (Sept 23rd) but the first four appeared just about ready to open and then withered within an hour or two. Finally had one open this evening but missed it's debut. Why are the others shriveling before they open?
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #4009915

Are they geting lots of water? Paul
CrustyOleFool
Knifley, KY

September 24, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #4011496

We have had drought conditions during the summer but watered throughly each week. Leaves are large, healthy looking and a deep green. Not showing any signs of water deprivation. Will start watering lightly on a daily basis and see if that helps.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #4011750

are they white ?
CrustyOleFool
Knifley, KY

September 24, 2007
6:04 PM

Post #4012298

Yes. Just before they shrivel, they are large white spherical bulbous buds with green ribs spiraling from the stem to the tip of the bulb. Just before they shrivel, they appear as if they will burst open at any moment. Also have numerous tiny black ants but made the assumption that like peonies, they were necessary for this plant. The one that opened yesterday was a very large (almost hibiscus size) and also had the tiny black ants on the inside. Thanks for your help.
jellylady
Holden, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #4012997

i also grew moon flowers this year. they did not do too well at first and some of the blooms did like yours. when they got older they are doing wonderful. they are full of blooms every night. i do not have ants on mine. i also water them every day because they are in containers. mabey yours need to be older, but i think you need to get rid of the ants.
CrustyOleFool
Knifley, KY

October 20, 2007
12:32 PM

Post #4103720

To phicks and jellylady:
Thanks again for your help but especially urging patience! For the last several weeks we have had one or two flowers open beautifully. This morning we awoke to a gorgeous display of eight wonderful flowers greeting us as we stepped out on the veranda to enjoy the morning. We have never been able to see them as they open. We continually check every evening and catch them in various stages and sit for what seems like hours. I remember years ago my first experience with this awesome plant was walking by a fence row and being startled as they literally "popped" as they unwound. I'm wondering if there are different varieties.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #4127110

i tthink there's only one.
With practice you get better at timing the bloom, and it helps to have ight to watch for in one night. I had a few shrivel too, but many opened OK. Love them
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2007
1:43 PM

Post #4128499

yes there are 2 diff white ones ones called Alba the other am not sure about except one has brown seeds one has black theres also a lavender one to that i grow it opens very early eveings and stays open till around nine or ten am paul

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2007
4:37 PM

Post #4129046

Never heard of the lavender!! Good scent too?
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #4130508

None

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2007
3:45 AM

Post #4130989

boo. I'll stick with white and scent.
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2007
2:05 AM

Post #4169619

Don't forget to cut off most of the dead flowers so they don't go to seed, as this gives the plants more energy to keep producing flower buds. Be sure to allow 1 or 2 seed pods to develop so you can collect the seeds for next year. I just had to cut my moonflowers down as our growing season is now done (booboo lip sticking out) but I hope you enjoy yours. Today it was only in the 40's. I had to break out the winter coat yesterday. BOO!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #4172597

My moonflowers got hit by the light frost last night. They must be one of the more sensitive things I have.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America