Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: What plants are good to grow indoors during winter?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlintTownG
Flint, MI

September 24, 2007
11:55 AM

Post #4010998

I was wanting to know of some good plants to grow inside. I started growing some spanish green peppers but from what im reading it sounds like they will get to bushy for indoors.I also just started a couple lavender plants. I currently have a 150 watt hps and a 4 foot shop light with 2 40 watt cool white bulbs. So if anyone has any good ideas I would appreciate it.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2007
8:17 PM

Post #4020101

Didn't want you to feel like your post went into the void, FlintTownG, but unfortunately I can't give you any help, really. I know lots of people who start seeds inside, about 6-8 weeks before the last frost, so they're big enough to transplant once air & soil temps are warm enough outside, but I don't know of any veggies that people do completely inside in the winter.

Maybe salad greens might be worth a try, though. I see catalog adverts for little in-house greens planters. Mixed varieties. Also maybe some of the cool-season herbs like parsley and cilantro?

Wish I could be of more help--good luck!
cselzler
Coweta, OK
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2007
6:50 PM

Post #4140110

I grow a whole veggie garden inside in winter. I do have a sun room but I use grow lights on the things that require more light. I have a journal entry which lists all the veggies I have growing now, if you want to get an idea. Try swiss chard, lettuce, rocket, turnips, beets, any salad veggie, really. I grow onions from sets and all kinds of herbs. Tomatoes peppers, eggplant are just blooming. Jalapeno has several small peppers on it.
I will pick and eat from my indoor garden tonight. Green beans, a salad with rocket, chard, lettuce parsley, malabar spinach, New Zealand spinach, green onion, and probably some oriental greens, possibly a jalapeno pepper. Purslane and sorrel aren't quite big enough yet to pick. I plant mesclun several times over the winter and use the CCA (cut and come again)method. If you use good potting mix you can plant closer together than you would think. You can get a salad several times a week depending on what you grow and how much of it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America