Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Daffodils: Daffodils

Communities > Forums > Article: Daffodils
bookmark
Forum: Article: DaffodilsReplies: 3, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Annepaola
Manahawkin, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2007
2:48 PM

Post #4011527

I agree, everyone should plant daffs! Last Christmas we had Early Sensation in full bloom after a rather mild start to the winter, and we had some blooming well into May - a good 4 plus months. We are in NJ - zone 7, 5 miles from the ocean.

How much shade will daffodils tolerate and still bloom?
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 24, 2007
4:02 PM

Post #4011797

The critical thing seems to be winter sun. They do very well under a deciduous orchard. Here they are planted under pecan trees. What does happen in a shadier location is that the foliage takes a very long time to ripen in the summer. It is really a struggle to keep people off who want to mow away the foliage, "because it looks bad".

So I think it is important to plant a companion series that will hide the foliage while it ripens. Here we had daylilies. Someone in the bulb forum suggested lilies. I think camassias followed by daylilies & tiger lilies would be great. That would take you into late summer.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2007
10:51 PM

Post #4045883

I'd add to the advice from gloria:

Planted under deciduous trees, Narcissus will live, grow, and bloom for a long time. As shade increases, blooms will be reduced or maybe not at all.

At such time, dig the bulbs up and move them to a sunnier place. There really isn't a wrong answer for the light requirement under deciduous canopy, since the daffodils usually start well before trees leaf out.

I grew up on the 3.5 acre property of an antebellum home in KY. There were lines of daffodils on the grounds which probably traced the outlines of some long ago garden design, though I didn't appreciate that then. As I grew in gardening and horticulture and had places to grow my own bulbs, my mother gifted me several large clumps of these oldtimers that had plenty of foliage every year (under the uncompromising canopy of common hackberries) but had ceased blooming long ago.

I divided these clumps of bulbs; each bulb was pretty small compared the monster King Alfred trumpet-style daffodils I was used to handling. I ended up with about 25 separate planting areas with 10 or so bulbs per wide hole.

The following year, every clump had some blooms. Now (15 or so years hence) every clump blooms prolifically. Oh, and these are planted to the northeast side of a mature tree line (hackberry, walnut, hickory), where they are well-shaded after the trees leaf out and I don't bother to mow until June or later.

gloria:

Mighty fine looking Camassia there; wish I could grow some like that.

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 3, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4046038

VV: I thought you did grow those Camassia. The daffodils here are planted in a pecan orchard and that seems to give them plenty of sun exposure to bloom. The only trouble they have is the city mowing them away periodically. Then there are no flowers for a couple of years.
Good to hear from you.

gloria

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Daffodils Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article, Thank You! heathrjoy 21 Sep 21, 2007 1:21 AM
Thanks redunicorn 0 Sep 24, 2007 4:56 PM
starting our flower garden. ryleflower 1 Sep 27, 2007 4:02 PM
I had to pull my daffodils. lena9221 3 Sep 7, 2010 4:54 PM
Mrs. Lee's Daffodil Garden mariettatxgrowr 3 Jan 27, 2010 10:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America