Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: It's beginning to look like the tropics(6)

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 217, Views: 1,113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4017005

Alata Ruby Glow Passiflora

A must for the collectors,and for those who want to inhale one of the sweetest fragrances of a flower!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 25, 2007
11:59 PM

Post #4017073

Yah much clapping and applause!!!!!
We love our passys and yours are are so beautiful!
will it have time to give you fruit?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #4017091

Thanks, Chrissy.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2007
12:22 AM

Post #4017143

Gorgeous!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2007
12:34 AM

Post #4017190

Don, found a GH on the internet today. Actually a link from a thread , that looks pretty good.

I only need something for about 3 months to protect the tropicals in pots that have grown too big for the house. Will have to find the link so you may advise if you think it will be sufficient or if I am just letting them pick my pocket.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

September 26, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #4017573

Don...standing ovations!!! Bravo! Bravo! Great job!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #4017850

Thanky Thanky,
Had to go out and bring my coconut palms inside,they are saying it might drop below 50*
tonite.
These were huge flowers,about 6 inches in diameter,even after putting them to float in some water the oil left the fragrance on the skin of my palm,and could smell it for such the longest time tonite,even the parrots could smell it on me,they didn't want to get on my fingers!!!
Sorry Chrissy there's not enough time for the fruit to ripe if even gets any at all.it takes a certain passiflora to pollinate the ruby glow to come to fruit,at the moment can't thing just which flower it is,but if I recall it has to be one in the same family.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2007
5:20 AM

Post #4018057

No I did not mean for me ...for you ... then I forgot that you don't eat them...not that they are brilliant but ok (to eat I mean)...the flower is so lovely we don't care right? when yours are gone I will post mine for you...the leaves are the biggest I have ever seen this year! so I expect the Summer flowers to be almost as good as your beauties.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2007
10:01 AM

Post #4018285

Please do post pics of your flowers,hope they are huge like mine!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2007
10:05 AM

Post #4018288

I will ...lovely hibiscus...everything always seems more precious when you know it will leave soon...I hope you get an "Indian Summer to prolong your beauties.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2007
10:21 AM

Post #4018303

Thanks
Me too!
57* ,so didn't get as cold as predicted lastnite,but it feels cold,north wind has a chill to it.
Here in a couple weeks we turn back the clock,so it will be dark when I leave for work,and when I come home from work,I really hate that,you feel there is no day at all!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2007
1:14 PM

Post #4018687

Don, this is the years that it is extended to the end of Oct. instead of the first.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2007
8:00 PM

Post #4020048

We turn forward this weekend and it will go for an extra month...don't know how that will go...my hubby squeezes enough hours in the day as it is ...that just means a looooonger day at work or here ...almost 90 cars to pull bits off until dark!...he imports new and used US parts to Oz so even that means telephone chat at 2/3 in the morning.
I am looking forward to seeing some fall flicks from the tropic dreamers!...sorry the cold winds are there TM I think they do a lot of damage.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #4021588

I forgot about that,thanks for reminding me!!!
Cold winds didn't last long,got to 81* today!!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #4021632

Love the passies and hibiscus! Good Job!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #4021808

Thanks,I can't take all the credit,because I received,it from Clare in Californy ,as a rooted cutting a couple years back,and it's been a winner for me!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2007
7:43 AM

Post #4022113

Funny isn't it your fall temp the same as our spring temp today...and I hate the wind ...be it hot or cold...the only kind of wind I like is a cool breeze springing up at the end of a hot day...we are very lucky in that regard as we get a "southery breeze most arvo's around 5 ish and you can sit on the back verandah and enjoy cooling down.
Hi 77 how are you? feeling good?
Happy gardening everyone :)
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2007
9:54 AM

Post #4022188

4:45 am,and 60*,beautiful morning!!!
No wind,no humidity as of yet ,feels wonderful outside!
No mosquitoes the last few days as well!
The look and smell of fall is in the air,garden has come alive,and just about taken over the sidewalk.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2007
12:48 PM

Post #4022616

Beautiful TM ...you asked about our bikini record at Bondi?
I am not posting this in my thread so here you are...how would you like to be stranded on a tropical beach with this mob of sheilas...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2007
12:51 PM

Post #4022630

there you are

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2007
12:53 PM

Post #4022639

Have a lovely day/night TM ...;)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2007
12:58 PM

Post #4022662

Gee you get up a little earlier than me...I am up at 5...daylight saving starts this weekend...so the body clock will be screaming "but hey it is only 4 am!!!"...takes a bit of getting used to. I do think it is the best part of the day...and you get to see the sun come up...:)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2007
2:45 PM

Post #4023131

I just hate the time change. Seems as though a 30 minute split difference and just leave it alone would work fine. Why don't we just start a world-wide petition? Really didn't know it went anywhere other than the states. The business of saving energy is a joke. Whooops...getting all pxssy early in the morning. Sorry.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2007
7:35 PM

Post #4024125

LouC...That is a great idea!
You don't like early mornings?...or does it take a cup of strong coffee to get you going?.Regarding the time change.. is it crazy like us 3 different times in the one country?...a bit of a drama when you have customers all over the place...3 hour differences...between states. They are looking into bringing us all into the one time next year...that will be interesting...how does one fix three hour differences. Smile LouC we could be living in Russia...or Germany ...one of my friends tells me it is very bad there at the moment. Have a lovely day in the garden everyone...:)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4025414

Yes, mayam. Southern drawl for yes mam.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #4025511

Sweet little Sheila you'll know her when you meet her,her name drives me insane!!!!

Over a thousand Sheila's!!!!!!!!

Wow,what a day for a day dream.I'm just a day dreaming boy,lost in a day dream,dreaming about my Sheila's for sure!!!!

Life just doesn't get any better than that!!!!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #4025520

Does Mrs. Don know about you...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

September 28, 2007
3:00 AM

Post #4025594

Men! Can't live with em...can't plant em!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2007
3:31 AM

Post #4025704

Yeah!!!
She just rolls her eyes!!!!

She was a hair dresser for 31 yrs,let her retire 14 yrs ago,because she got carpule tunnel,had the surgery in both wrist,but has no strength in her hands,her beauty shop is now her quilting room,she has one of those 12 ft quilting tables and machines,but it has so much crap on the table,she just keeps buying material,and has no place to put it,had a 12ft shed built out back,now it's full to the roof!!!!
I have my own hobby lobby in my back yard!!!!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

September 28, 2007
3:52 AM

Post #4025750

Guess it's okay...must admit I like a little of the pectoral eye candy myself once in a while...a beautiful form is a joy for all, whether animal, vegetable or mineral.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2007
3:56 AM

Post #4025759

I'll drink to that!!!!!LOL
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2007
4:22 AM

Post #4025800

Mrs Don sounds like my kind of gal! Quilting fabric is VERY addictive! How very lucky she is to have her on space to spread out...
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2007
4:50 AM

Post #4025852

Yep,Its a battle for space around here!!!
And she's winning!!!!LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #4026351

I think you are doing ok TM...my hubby takes up of the place too only he likes cars instead of tropical plants...:)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2007
10:12 PM

Post #4028344

G'day TM and everyone...just taking a quick coffee break twixt cooking for the mob this holiday weekend!
I wanted you to see the sky at 5 am on a Sat morn 29th ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #4028368

and my happy colours 3 hours later :)...note paddock over the fence :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2007
10:21 PM

Post #4028378

Well back to the potato salads and dips! :) but I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to see so many folks dropping in on the tropical forum ...a big warm welcome one and all!!!!!!
Have a lovely weekend ...:)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #4028493

Chrissy, see you have a solar clothes dryer. lol That has become a sort of joke here. Until recent years I didn't know to use any other kind. Now they are pushing, pushing them.
When I wanted one, had to have MFIL build it because they had gone out of style. Finally took it down last year. The pollution is too bad. We live only 1/2 mile from an interstate and even though I have lots of trees and other vegetation didn't want to take the chance.

Wish I could be a fly on the wall at your party.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #4029331

The sunlight was just perfect the colors came out very nice in the flowers.

Is salsa,and chips,refried beans,bid there,like here in Usa?

Like Barbecue,,Chinese food,Mexican food!
Fast food restaurants are on every corner in America.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 29, 2007
3:44 AM

Post #4029479

BBQ...salads...nibbles(chips and crackers ...dips/corn chips)
my family don't do fast food much... too many good cooks...if you could be here... money could not buy the experience of everyone bringing their "famous dishes" ...having so many Nationalities it is like a big cultural feast...the best of everything! Heavy on the Italian ..Do we have take away every where ...yes a lot! we have Pizza Parlour and pizza joints...hamburger joints...and the golden M's...Kentucky fried of course...Red Rooster...fish and chip shops ...Charcoal Chicken etc.
Lebanese/ Chinese/ Thai /Indian...well just about any that you can think of...with the younger people every one eats out ...a bit of a shame in my opinion ...but I am showing my age when I say that.
Wish you could all be here with us...I will try to pop back later :)
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2007
3:59 AM

Post #4029524

We wish we could be there too! All the talk of food you are making me hungry...gotta go grab a snack!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2007
4:55 AM

Post #4029628

Yep me too,stomachs a growling!!!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2007
11:03 AM

Post #4029875

Mines not since I am currently sitting here enjoying breakfast. lol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

September 29, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #4031398

Funny story you just reminded me of Chrissy. When we were in Jeddah (Saudi Arabia), there was a KFC right around the corner from an AL Baik Chicken. Al Baik served a spit-roasted chicken half, some fries, and a side of hummus for the equivalent of about $2. The chicken was some of the best I have ever had in my life. The funny part was that the KFC was always empty and the Al Baik was always full, with a line wrapping past the KFC! Not just Arabs in that line either...lots of westerners! We know good food when we taste it! Occasionally an Arab would be seen getting out of the Al Baik line and going into the KFC, but not the Westerners!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #4038449

Whatsup Tropicman? About got all those pretties in the GH?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2007
11:59 PM

Post #4038473

In Arabia there may be Halal reasons ...over here some of the franchises have gone Halal to cater for those who require it as part of their faith...even Maccas has a Halal in the heavily ethnic suburbs.
Well I was away for a bit ...and as usual the dynamics of the threads has ebbed and flowed in all different directions ...really interesting.
So I am just hopping in to say G'day...hope everyone is happy and your gardens giving you joy!
Despite evil burning winds ...our morning is beautiful here...still for a change...and although there has been a fair bit of damage...everything is hanging in there!
My waterfall of colour is starting up... have a look at this... (and how lucky are we?)...to the strains of...

Oh... think twice... it's just another day for you and me in paradise...oh think twice...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 2, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #4038505

Ha ha ha there you go 77 ...sorry I was bumping up the thread by commenting on Shari's comment...yes I think TM must be exhausted...now stand back and block your ears everyone...

COOOOOOO EEEEEEEE!

TM...how are you going mate?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2007
2:59 AM

Post #4039201

Nice picture Chrissy,,,
Doing fine,Got about half the plants inside now,photos to come soon.meanwhile my swamp lilly is throw 3 and 4 bud.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 2, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #4039256

Beautiful...I love them...as well as the beautiful flowers the lovely long tropical looking leaves make statement all of their own...now for some lovely ozzy blooms...from my family day a bunch of sweet blossoms calling out to you all

Hello from Downunder!!!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 2, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #4039299

A trio of young nieces who will grow in to beautiful young women one day...amidst many of the gathering rellys.

Well I am glad you are ok TM... and you have been working very hard ...as you battle the cold we are battling the very hot dry (bushfire type) winds...much damage...my poor angels ...many just torn off ...the larger leaves just ripped away...some still clinging to the stalks...they will age to a warm salmon pink over the next couple of days...the loss is a bit sad but the good news is that they are early this year!

there must be an angel...playing with my heart ...yehhh! la la la la

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #4039453

Aren't they just the sweetest little darlings you ever saw?????

Yes they grow up so fast these days!!!

Chrissy is that a white or a soft yellow brug?

Here's mine today.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2007
4:59 AM

Post #4039514

Sorry Chrissy that you had so much damage. TM pretty brug!

Does anyone know how long it takes a brug to bloom from seed? I have a baby that is about 3" tall. If it makes it into a mature plant...about how long are we looking at? Thanks!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 2, 2007
6:15 AM

Post #4039597

TM a double wow...we have limited colours here so I am going to try and breed some...the one in my picture starts out white and turns peachy salmon.

77 I don't know how long seedlings take ...only cuttings (always in the first season for me.) I am interested in how long they take too :)
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2007
7:25 AM

Post #4039633

I don't think anyone can give you a direct answer Texasgal - some take a couple of years to make the Y and to bloom. Others are much quicker, especially if they are from cuttings taken above the Y (the ones I sent are from above the Y), so hopefully they should bloom for you quickly.

Seeds have their own timetable although I have had seeds grow and bloom in eight months, but we have constantly warm weather here with only about a ten degree difference in temperature year round, so I cannot take any kudos for that!

Once you see the Y on your seedling and you notice that the top leaves start to get uneven where they join the stem, you will soon get buds!

I think most people who are in less favorable weather usually get their first flowers in the second year of growth, especially if the have to bring them in from the cold for the winter.

Don't forget to feed them well, they are hogs, but hold off fertilizing if you are going to have to bring them inside for a dormant period during the cold weather.

Aloha,

Jenny
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2007
9:51 AM

Post #4039677

Thanks,mine is white and turns to peachy salmon as well.
After all the years I've grown these,only once did I get seeds,only to have the pod break off before it was even ripe,but has anyone hand pollinated one and been successful?Other than the pros?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2007
2:07 PM

Post #4040290

Thanks for the bloom information. I have four started from seed this year. They are about 3-4 feet now. Three of them have branched. Is that what you call a Y? Of course will have to bring them inside in about 4-5 weeks...that is, if the weather is normal.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 2, 2007
7:14 PM

Post #4041413

Tm there is a great thread in classic threads... that takes you through hand pollination with Angels step by step...it is what inspired me to have a go myself...all you need is a camel's hair artist's paintbrush.
In the past I have given "mother nature" a helping hand with my trusty paintbrush...you know slow melons and pumpkins etc and if it works with them ...it makes sense that it can work for many things right?...are you going to try too?...I can hardly wait!
Have a wonderful day/night everyone...or as we say down under "have a good one!" :)
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2007
3:43 AM

Post #4043229

I'll see if I can get to the zoo before it gets too cold!!!
Is that camel hair from the head or tail of the camel??
Is that a one hump or two hump camel?
Last but most important,if they bite,is it gonna hurt?????

Sure I'm gonna try,been doing passies a few times and have been lucky time or twoo!

Although it would be easier to pull a couple feathers out of spike,when he's a sleep!!!LOL
I think they'll be just as soft as camel hairs!!!LOL
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2007
3:47 AM

Post #4043239

LOL!!! I can just see you sneaking up on that camel!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2007
3:50 AM

Post #4043246

I think Spike might prefer you went to the zoo!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2007

Post #4043250

I've ridden a camel, and I made sure I got a muzzeled one! Yes! they hurt!!!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2007
3:58 AM

Post #4043265

Well that settles it!!!
Patti's going with me and she can go get the hairs,after all she was a beautician for 31 years,before she retired,and she knows how to work the scissors better than I do!!!LOL
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #4043303

You might better warn her, and get her OK ahead of time; Treat her real sweet, or the next time she gives you a haircut you might be sorry!!!!

OTOH, be the man, and do it yourself, haha! Protect the little lady!!!!!

Altho, I'd say, after putting up with you all of these years, I'd bet she's pretty smart, wise, decisive...knows you pretty well! With all of her crafts, I bet she'd even knows that they carry them at Hobby Lobby or Michaels!!!!!!

Trying to put that sweet little thing in the line of a big ole camel's fury...you should be ashamed of yourself TM, and go buy that little lady a dozen roses and say you're sorry!

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #4043334

LOL!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2007
4:44 AM

Post #4043362

LOL!!!!
Are you kidding,she's a lot stronger than me!!!!!LOL
She fears nothing!!!!

On second thought I'll just steal one of her brushes,she's a great painter,she has the eye and hand coordination to boot!
Beside I paid for lessons for 2 years,but I didn't think she even needed them!!!!

She even did a bunch of those Japanese balls with the thread decorations,theres a fancy name for it,but at the moment I can't remember it!!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2007
5:22 AM

Post #4043418

Yeah, well those brushes are expensive...so if she is still using them, and she finds out one is missing...you had better look out!

My Momma painted also, and if I had taken one of her camel hair brushes, I can only imagine what would have happened!

Yep, Trouble in paradise!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2007
5:26 AM

Post #4043422

You touch those brushes and she finds out, you are dead meat!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2007
5:31 AM

Post #4043427

Yep, worse than carrying pork over the Pali mountain (Oahu)!

Evil spirits will get you! (whoooooooooo) Especially in October...they are going to be out and about here real soon...just days away!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2007
5:33 AM

Post #4043430

You guys crack me up!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2007
5:40 AM

Post #4043437

Ooooh, TM better be good, he'd better not fret, Patti's in town! She knows when you are sleeping...she knows when you're awake...You'd better look out for goodness sake...Patti's looking around! LOL
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2007
5:56 AM

Post #4043461

No Patti, it's not yellow ocher, it's pollen!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 3, 2007
6:08 AM

Post #4043475

You cheeky thing you had me going for a minute (thinking what no camel hair brushes in America?)...of course anything that will hold the pollen and transfer it where it needs to go will do...with the pumpkins I just break off the male flower and shove it into the female flower...it does the same thing...just not as elegantly...now let's see what you do with that one folks!

Let me tell you bout the birds and the bees... and the flowers and the trees...
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2007
10:03 AM

Post #4043590

And the moon up above and a thang called love!!!!

Well I won't take a used brush,she'll know if ones missing,I'll just borrow a new one!!!
She hasn't painted in some time,and probably doesn't even remember how many she even has!!!!

And if I do get caught,I'll swear up and down that she gave me one,and doesn't remember
giving it too me!!!LOL
And if I stick to my story long enough,without grinning,she'll believe me!!!!LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 3, 2007
9:57 PM

Post #4045687

Hey there TM and everyone look what dave has given us!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/776878/
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2007
4:14 AM

Post #4047026

Wowzer!!!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
3:17 AM

Post #4050472

TM, Don't work too hard on that GH...take care of yourself and be sweet to that little lady of yours. Hi Patti! Make sure he leaves enough time to do all of those "honey do's for you"!!!!! LOL
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2007
10:02 AM

Post #4050836

I'm working on getting the rest of the plants out of the ground,taking Monday and Tuesday
off next week.
I have two more huge banana trees starting to flower,I'll have to plant in 55gallon drums.
90* the last couple days doesn't feel too much like fall here,few trees are starting to color up a little,might be due to no rain,rather than cool weather!!!
Send me some of your rain,ground has huge cracks here!!!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #4051785

I wish I could send you some rain! It's 60% chance for tomorrow, and we have an excursion planned. I hope it either rains in the morning or late evening!

You need to do your rain dance again!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 5, 2007
10:15 PM

Post #4052657

May I blow our 100 + plus winds your way...we have our first fires already so it does not bode well for Summer.
Don't forget to show us some of the colour when the trees change...I love Autumn.
You take care now ...try not to overdo things...
Sorry I would like to send some rain but it is dry as dust here too
we also have the big cracks in the ground. I can hardly believe the dryness considering the floods in June...but hot dry winds quickly desiccate everything

77 you have a great time with your excursion
Have a good one ...everyone :)
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2007
11:10 PM

Post #4052800

90* In October,is unheard of here,south wind is blowing 25 to 35 mph,dryer than a popcorn fart here.
Chrissy,I think the leaves are falling off,due to lack of moisture,don't think they'll be much color this fall.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4052890

Don, we are supposedly setting record temps here this weekend. Our leaves are just turning yellow and falling off...so dry. Don't think we will have much in the way of color either.
Got most of my plants ready to bring in. Still just a few to do...what a job!!
As Chrissy said...don't overdo it!! Easier said than done, huh?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 6, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #4052959

Awe gee sorry guys ...do you mind if I have a little colour here?
Just colour my world...colour my world...colour my world...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 6, 2007
1:26 PM

Post #4054225

Hey TM have you been over to the passionfruit forum to show off your lovely flowers...I haven't seen any like yours yet...go on... go post those lovely things!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #4054584

Hi Marcy,yes very dry here,I remember on the average you guys get a lot of rain this time of the year,like the southeast of the us,very dry as well,not the norm at all!!!!Global Warming?

Hi Chrissy,yes I know I haven/t had the time to go show off some passies yet,hopefully I will get some more pics today.

We had some strong winds yesterday my redbud tree took a hard hit,pictures to follow,soon as I can get dressed and get out there with the ole camera.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2007
3:53 AM

Post #4056678

In the pic of the tree branch,see the long white strip,thats where the limb is missing.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2007
3:55 AM

Post #4056681

Here's the broken limb

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2007
4:23 AM

Post #4056730

TM, Oh, how sad! That is terrible! Boy you sure did have some winds! It's a wonder that you didn't have more damage than just that! Wow!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2007
5:03 AM

Post #4056809

Yep and the sad thing about it no rain with those winds!!!!
Weather man says it will tomorrow,and a inch or so!!!!
Keeping my fingers crossed.I'm trying to get everything dug up out of the ground and repotted,taking Mon. and Tues. off trying to finish up,
Took all day just to dig 4 bananas up and potted and in the new greenhouse,they way so much,it took everything out of me.
Rest up tonite and get going again in the morning,if it doesn't rain!!!

Chrissy a little fall color for you.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2007
5:07 AM

Post #4056818

Have you ever tried leaving one in the ground? They do weigh a ton. Ours are getting so full as you walk in the back gate you have to push leaves out of the way to get by. I told DS today...one of those is probably going to get moved!

Good luck with your moving adventure. I don't envy you at all. Sure glad we don't have to do all of that here. That would sure put an end to my tropical garden!

You are so dedicated. I hope you have continued health to be able to do that at long as your heart desires!

Jeanne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 7, 2007
1:27 PM

Post #4057242

Yes look after yourself...so sorry to hear of the damage ...I hope it is kinder days to come...does your garden suddenly feel empty when it is all gone?...how does it feel to look at all that "empty space" or do you have cold tolerant stuff to fill in some gaps...I know I sound ignorant ...that is because when it comes to a "real Winter" I haven't got a clue...thanks for the coloured foliage:)
Do you get to rest up a little when you are done?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 7, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #4058354

Don, what is that in the autumn color picture? It is so pretty! I know I should recognize it but I don't. Having problems with my posts...several from yesterday disappeared...I am not ignoring anyone, just struggling with pooter gremlins!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2007
10:00 PM

Post #4058533

See the menehuni's are after you! LOL
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 7, 2007
10:10 PM

Post #4058567

But why??? What did I do???
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #4058589

I don;t know, but you better find out quick from Jenny what it takes to make them happy!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #4058716

Yep starting to look a little bare in places,lots of gopher holes where plants once were!!!

Had a little gal that was from Cambodia come by to get my give aways,filled her car,then she came back later with a van filled it too!!!LOL
She has a 12x 16 greenhouse,but the heater went out last winter during the night and lost
everything I gave her last year,so time to start all over again.
She's going to make me her favorite sticky rice,to eat for giving her everything,last time she brought me a 10 course meal,of all kinds of things,never seen or ate before !!!
She bought a old farm house east of town and 13 acres,said she was going to all of it in rice,this I got to see!!!I bet she can too!LOL

Oh the fall color is cut leaf sumac!

Rest are you kidding,I have to start taking care of the plants,now,mother nature has been doing it since spring!!!LOL

Getting closer to being done,about a 1/3 left to do!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #4058774

LOL!! She's gonna plant everything in rice??? In Ks???? How is she gonna flood the fields? This should be interesting!!
I have most all my plants ready to bring in...all cleaned up and repotted, etc...and now they are picking beans. Major dust everywhere!!!! Guess I will have to rinse everything off again tomorrow!

Edited to say...well you do have that river right there though..(for flooding) lol!

This message was edited Oct 7, 2007 7:21 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #4059236

I thought that was a sumac but wasn't sure. Ours up around here are turning too. Not gonna be much color this year due to drought. Alot of leaves have already dropped and more are dropping everyday. A sad sight.

New and updated pic of Curly. This is his favorite hiding spot. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 8, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #4059422

Can't hardly see him, but looks like he's getting big!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2007
3:28 AM

Post #4059805

pepper...I guess that is your kitty kat??? LOL...looks like kitty paws! Isn't it cute the way THEY think they are hidden?? Great picture!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #4059949

LOL!! Thats exactly what I said,and she informed me there are 2 kinds of growing rice one is the flooded field method the other is just in the ground like wheat! Which is also a white rice.

Same here Pepper,leaves yellowing then dropping!!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2007
5:41 AM

Post #4060039

So nice of you to share your extras TM, although I can't think for the life of me what she is going to do with all that rice! Must be special rice or something, seems like a lot of work for something you can buy at the store for next to nothing!
My bet is that as soon as you get all your plants indoors and squared away you will be getting all the catalogs out and start dreaming about next year...!
Welcome Marcy, have been off for a couple of days so I may be late in telling you how happy we are to have you join us!
Cute kitty, pep! He thinks he is well and truely hidden!
Ah Jeanne! Menehuni are without doubt causing havoc with Shari's 'puter! For those who don't know menehuni are little Hawaiian elves that work at night..somewhat mischievious, I believe.
Warmest Aloha to all...
Jenny
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2007
11:13 AM

Post #4060235

LOL. Yeah, that's his favorite hiding and sleeping spot.

Ok, full shot of Curly.

Thumbnail by pepper23

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 8, 2007
12:15 PM

Post #4060323

Perhaps your friend means the wild rice... you know that expensive thing that although called a rice ...is really a seed?.Be interesting to follow that adventure...did you know Australia sells rice to Japan?...ours peaks at their off time and they pay a premium for it fresh...man it's a funny world... That sumac is it what we call rhus?...it is a tree that colours beautifully if it is...but here it gives some people terrible reactions...both on the skin and
breathing ...is that the same?

Cute kitty cat! Pep ...obviously thriving:)

Poor Shari having the gremlins in the computer how frustrating!

I have noticed after typing out long answers they suddenly go poof and you grit your teeth and try not to *%#^* ha ha ha ...I guess I am still getting used to broadband...sometimes you can't access the net ...full stop... because there are too many folk on the bandwidth
so you have to try later...that is also frustrating :(...moving right along...hope everyone is enjoying their day /evening...
love seeing what everyone is up to...all around the world :)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2007
1:03 PM

Post #4060485

Shari just needs to get a bottle tree. Legend says they collect evil spirits at night and let them out in the day.

This is the wrong picture. Can't find a place to cancel this. Will try to get the bottle tree next.

Good morning,everyone.

LouC

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2007
1:05 PM

Post #4060492

try again.

Thumbnail by LouC

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 8, 2007

Post #4060571

G'day LouC how are you ? I am just about to go off to bed...really catch the thingy's in the bottle tree huh I haven't heard that one before...we catch fruit flies in ours (vegemite and honey in warm water)...been up to anything today?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2007
1:31 PM

Post #4060586

No, mam. Just as I am getting up you are going to bed. Just catch you and the other islands late evening. Regular Monday with lots of mundane housework to do...have a hard time staying inside but it is supposed to rain so I at least hit the middle. hahaha

Hope you are doing good.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 8, 2007
1:33 PM

Post #4060592

Well I am now...isn't it a shame with the times ...Gee I like your tree where does the legend come from?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #4060641

guess I need to do some extensive research because I really like them. All that I know is oral history. First told that it was called "poor man's stained glass"...makes sense because a century ago lots of things came in blue bottles. Only recently heard that the slaves started it and that it was a carry-over from Africa. One of my friends being sarcastic told me it is "white trash" yard art. Of course, now his wife wants one too. There are lots of websites offering them made from concrete rebar. The authentic came from a dead tree and the limbs were simply broken off. The limbs were already gone when we found this post so DH is using 3 inch screws and it is set in concrete.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #4060904

Good morning/evening everyone! Thanks, Braveheartsmom for the nice welcome! You are so lucky to live in Hawaii!! I would trade you in a minute!
I hope you all don't think I am butting in here, but I too, have a tropical garden in the summer. Tearing it down now...and bringing things inside. So it is very interesting to see what the real tropics are like! Of course, Don's place is about as tropical as we can get around here!!
Quite a few yrs ago, Don got me started in tropicals. (thanks again, Don!)
But his are amazing. Sorry to say, my garden doesn't look like his!! :))
Anyway...I love seeing what all you folks grow...and what your little piece of heaven looks like!
Pepper, your kitty is adorable!
I have a dark tiger kitty named Mandy.
Lou, I love your bottle tree, and the explanation for it also. I have always wanted to do one of those...just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe next year!
Don...sounds like you are going to be eating lots of rice!! LOL!!
Chrissy...it is so interesting to here about Austrailia, and what grows there.
Ok...seems I have gotten long winded here. I better get busy, since it is another nice day..up in the 90's here today...in October!!!! Strange weather!
Have a wonderful day/evening all!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #4061263

Marcy, this is a very long-winded bunch and we love it. Whenever you see OT...took me awhile to figure it out...means off-topic. If that were posted everytime the entire DG would be hard to read for all the OT's. hahaha

So glad to have you with us. If you are being mentored by Don, you are definitely not novice. In North Central Texas I have way too many tropicals...don't dig up...but lots in pots. This year they took off because of the rain and rain and rain we had. Don't where in the world I am going to put them...too big for the house and I don't have a GH.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2007
4:57 PM

Post #4061443

Hey Lou ! I can be very long winded too...lol!! As for my tropicals...I don't have a greenhouse either! I bring ALL my things inside the house. And no...I don't even have a big house!
We live in what is called a story and a half..old house...over 100yrs old.
The upstairs has just 3 large rooms...one window in each room. A lot of my big tropicals go up there for the winter. I don't try for flowers...just try to keep them alive till next spring! Then I have an unheated, enclosed front porch...and the same for a back porch. They both get lots of plants there too. Any others get scattered around the rest of the house! It seems like a greenhouse in the winter!!!
I am not a novice gardener...but still a novice TROPICAL gardener for sure! Thanks for the welcome!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 8, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #4062105

Wow Macy...that sounds amazing!...you and everyone who has to go to such lengths to keep your floral babies alive...I have visions of everyone living in all that greenery throughout Winter...your house sounds great.

I have homemade Windcatchers...made with little brown and blue bottles (old essential oil bottles very tiny things)...I love the idea of blue bottles...I had no idea about blue bottles having any kind of history...very interesting.

In the outback as specially in mining towns there are homes built out of bottles.I must see if I can find some pictures. Well here comes the sun...it's going to be a beautiful day!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 8, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #4062339

Hi all! Got my dreamcatcher moved into the pooter room, and now all seems to be going a little better. Actually, the island was having connectivity problems, but menehuni's sound so much more interesting don't they? We get our entertainments where we can. Chrissy - I'm with you about all the taking indoors! I just can't imagine trying to put all my myriad pots in my little living space...sure wouldn't work for me! But I so admire those of you who go through it just to grow tropicals. Did you see Jeremy's article on pineapples? Anyone else growing them? So easy!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 8, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #4062405

No I must have a look ...had visitors all day yesterday...no time ...hope everything goes well with the naughty thingy (computer)
I have been growing them from the tops for years for the grandkids...haven't done it for a while...beautiful day here whew!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 8, 2007
10:07 PM

Post #4062425

Enjoy your beautiful day! Plant a pineapple top!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #4063112

Already did! I have several that are about 2 years old, some one yr, and now some that are a few weeks! We even planted the top to the one we grew, ate, and started over again.

I don't see anything happening on the plant we cut the pineapple off of...but I will keep it! I love them!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #4063319

If the pineapples would grow here I would do one here just for fun. But I don't think they would.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:16 AM

Post #4063601

Hi Gang,not done yet,but getting closer,spent most of the day getting potted plants repotted,finally little rain early this morning,and didn't want to dig in the mud.
Here's a few pics of what I got done so far!
Sit back and enjoy the ride,and hang on!
BTW look at the duck,spike has carved out on his perch stand,cool huh!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:18 AM

Post #4063606

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:19 AM

Post #4063608

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:21 AM

Post #4063611

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #4063617

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:24 AM

Post #4063623

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #4063633

This ti plant is almost completely black,these were all taken in the sunroom.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #4063635

Love it, Don. So cozy. Saw the tv where you must have your coffee in the mornings. Need to start moving my plants indoors soon. Way too many for my small home. Kind of wish the nursery would dedicate a space in one of the greenhouses to rent for winter.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #4063644

Next set of pics,are from the new greenhouse just finished completing.
These are a few of my plumies,and the yellow is just now beginning to open,very very fragrant.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:31 AM

Post #4063651

Thanks Lou,don't know why somebody doesn't start a community greenhouse,like they do for putting in Gardens!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #4063659

Marcy,here's one of the cuttings you sent me,over 5 ft and wide now,colors are more vibrant
in the fall,just love it!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:35 AM

Post #4063666

Wish you all could smell the fragrance of this banana flower as it opens!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:37 AM

Post #4063673

Queen palm grew from 3ft to over 12 ft this summer,never a palm could grow that fast!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #4063679

Now some pics from the large greenhouse that I put the new roof on.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:40 AM

Post #4063686

other direction now

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #4063692

across the top of the pond,you can see a umbrella leaf and stem

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:46 AM

Post #4063704

New furnace,notice the root bound,bird of paradise,hopefully it will bloom like crazy this winter!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:48 AM

Post #4063714

Okay, now a couple from the greenhouse on the north side of the house.
Ficus Ben.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007

Post #4063720

Close up 6ft tall before starting to y!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007

Post #4063732

New furnace on the north greenhouse,russian quince is the plant to the right,that I will plant permanently in the spring,next to the hardy orange tree.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:54 AM

Post #4063737

Pretty hibiscus flowering

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
3:58 AM

Post #4063752

Notice the red pineapple ?
It's in a 6 inclay pot,does it need to be in a bigger pot to flower,and produce a fruit?
Second summer for this plant,altho it has doubled in size since I bought it,still looks small to me!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
4:02 AM

Post #4063772

Wow what a job! You are so dedicated to your tropicals! I'm sure glad that we don't have as cold of weather here! I only have to protect a small percentage of mine, thank goodness! Unbelievable! Bless your heart!

I would repot it and give it more room! I have mine in a 3 gal. I think...

This message was edited Oct 8, 2007 10:05 PM
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
4:14 AM

Post #4063814

Thanks TGal 77,

Iv'e been reading where scientist are coming to the conclusion the earth might have
slipped ,less the 1* on it's axises,and the southern states might be getting cooler temperatures in the future,snowing in Brownsville year or so back,was unheard of
in the past,and this was a good indication that this has might have happen and gone unknown for some time.
This is causing the gulf stream to cool down faster than it normally does,causing more rain and cooler temps along it's path,when it gets up by England and the United Kingdom.
Which is going to let hurricanes be stronger in the future,but so far I don't see anything like this happening to much,been a milder hurricane season so far than they predicted!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
4:36 AM

Post #4063860

Oooooh yes! We are so very thankful that it has been milder! However, I have one corner of my bedroom still packed with some items that I had dug out ready to go that one time, just in case, so they are still sitting there, and will until Nov. 30th!

Just before our evacuation for Rita I packed up my nine room dollhouse, and the poor little people are still living in the box (not out of boxes_! The grandchildren keep asking when are you going to unpack the dollhouse, and I just tell them "someday". Maybe around the first of December!

Speaking of Dec. It actually snowed here Christmas Eve a few years ago, killed about a third of my plants, it was very unexpected! Fortunately, Lowes has a one year guarantee on some of their plants, so little by little I took them back! I had saved the receipts! They refunded my money...no questions asked!

I was so thankfull!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
4:42 AM

Post #4063871

Heck I lose the receipt,before I get home!!!!LOL
Yep lowes good about refunding your money!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 9, 2007
8:26 AM

Post #4064042

Well I don't really know what to say TM all that beauty all so up close and personal...I would move my bed in there too if they were mine...well while I sit out the back on my verandah ...I will think of you inside your steamy greenhouse having your coffee...this one is for you until yours flowers ...my little bird sitting under it's big cousin (strelizia)...thanks so much for the lovely pics
indeed tropical dreaming!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
2:43 PM

Post #4064834

Sipping coffee,and enjoying your bird,yours blooms in the spring,and mine blooms in the winter,I guess because it wishes it was home somewhere ,it blooms looking for a ride out of here !!!LOL
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #4065247

Well Don...looks like you are coming along...getting it all inside! That hibiscus is amazing, isn't it? Mine is that big too...and I have taken ...I don't know how many cuttings from it. Just brought mine in...and it is full of buds...so I can't cut it back yet!! My peach one is full of buds too.
They are so prolific!
Dave just plopped everything in the kitchen and dining area last night. He had to work today...so hopefully he will be carrying things upstairs later on.
All your plants look wonderful..as usual!
I will have to take some pictures so you can see what a mess I am in right now...lol!!
Right now , I am off to do some more windows, so plants can go in place!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #4066932

Thanks,try not to rub the clear off those windows!!!LOL
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2007
2:22 AM

Post #4066974

Finally happened today,I was kissed on the lips by a worker of mother nature!!!

I had a diet pepsi on the table beside the greenhouse,while I was potting up plants,taking a swig every once in a while,well I took a sip,and felt something in my mouth moving,as I tried
to spit it out,wham!!!!My lip!!!!! It hanged on dear life and stung the crapp out of me!!!!!
Honey bee,must of been thinking there was sugar in the soft drink and when he found out it was sugar free,he was getting even with someone which happened to be me!!!!!

Hour later and 6 ice cubes the swelling went down,and the pain eased up.

Not much left in the rainforest but a half dozen bananas to dig up!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
4:02 AM

Post #4067274

Oh Don! You poor thing! But I gotta admit, its kinda funny...I'm not laughing at you...just at the situation. New story to tell the grands...never boring!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2007
4:49 AM

Post #4067325

I agree it was funny!!!
The bee was still alive ,but wasn't moving very fast,I put him on a paper towel,then took the wife to the Dentist,when we got back he was gone,don't know whether he flew away or the wind got to him!
You know my arthritis was hurting as much as it use to,most be something to those bee stings to ease the pain after all!!!!
May be a few more in my hip area,will help there too!!!! LOL
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007

Post #4067985

I can see it now...Don with a swarm of bees in his overalls...take a video, would ja'?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 10, 2007
1:39 PM

Post #4068019

Hope you are feeling better ...bee stings ...oooh bad.The bee dies afterwards...stinging something kills them...write this down ...don't leave soft drink cans unattended...we have had deaths from wasps stinging people in the tongue and in the throat...causing fatal swelling.
We don't want anything to happen to you :)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #4068389

Gosh Don, hope your lip is better today! Maybe it was that halloween witch disguised as a bee??????
Chrissy is right though! For some, bee stings can be very dangerous.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
4:03 PM

Post #4068411

Better come up with something else for the arthritis in your hip.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 11, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #4069808

Not the best cause we have had some bad winds ...but the perfume ...that's always wonderful...I hope you are feeling better today Tm...hi to everyone else

Thumbnail by chrissy100

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 11, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #4070226

Chrissy, that is beautiful!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 11, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #4070264

Hi k just popped in for a cuppa and someone is here ...I have been pulling tons of jasmine out this morning and gradually getting things into order ...I found at least 2 dozen mandy laxa babies so I am happy...they are so delicious in the Summer...a couple more bird nests spotted up in the Jacaranda tree and spotted hundreds of buds on the rangoon creeper happy Me...hope you are happy too :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 11, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #4070284

The lates new dweller in my Jacaranda tree (it holds a whole city of birds and vines)...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2007
3:43 AM

Post #4070718

Well the celebrex will have to better,or might have to find a queen bee!!!LOL

Oh Chrissy things are really starting to come alive with color there,very pretty.

Do you have those black and white crows there in Sidney??
BTW seems I saw a skippy run a race with some real race cars on a race track on the news,hope he's ok.Oh saw him get a little sideswiped!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 11, 2007
4:18 AM

Post #4070791

We have Magpies and Currawongs...and the Bathurst 500 always has problems with stray wildlife...I didn't see it...sorry to hear a roo got hurt...they are pretty tough but in the Droughts here they do become a hazzard on the roads... and there are often dead ones in hi speed places...you have to stop and make sure that there is no joey ( baby ) in the pouch...if so the wildlife folk come and get the babies and care for them.
I am glad you are nearing the end of your hard labours there ...my hubby takes celebrex too...did you know it is the highest selling medication in Australia?...luckily the Government subsidises it.
Hope you are feeling a lot better now.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2007
4:30 AM

Post #4070807

LOL,leg is numb as I sit here and type,they tried to stop the selling of celebrex here,for heart reasons,but decided to many old people needed a good pain reliever instead!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 11, 2007
4:44 AM

Post #4070836

Take it easy Tm...you need to pamper yourself a little now...give the body a rest...you sure have earned it!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2007
4:50 AM

Post #4070851

Working 10 days 6 days a week,will be no rest for a while,it's dark outside now when I get home to water,takes longer now that there is 3 greenhouses and a sunroom,plus the plants still outside!!!
3 days off come Thanksgiving,will sleep like Rip van winkle!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #4072711

Hope not! We would miss you!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 11, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #4072798

I second that!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #4072837

Third!!!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2007
10:57 PM

Post #4073107

#4 on your long list of fans.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
11:05 PM

Post #4073129

Okay ladies...I will not be posting around Thanksgiving, will be in Colorado with friends/family...SO...if Don disappears, someone will have to go look for an old tree that he may be parked under. You'll probably have to find a Leprauchan or two, and make some kind of a deal - I may be able to help with that...but we WILL get our Tropicman back!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2007
4:10 AM

Post #4074367

LOL Shari!!!
That reminds me of my favorite kid movie of all times,thats because I am one you know!!!

Darby O'Gill and the little people!!!

In fact It was Sean Connerey,that got me started in body building,when I saw him in a magazine he won MR Universe,1958.LOL!

Now all my drinks are shaken not stirred!!!LOL
Universe
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2007
4:13 AM

Post #4074369

Absolutely love Darby! An all time favorite! Enjoy those Bond drinks, but remember not to overdo!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2007
4:21 AM

Post #4074381

Okay now money penny!!!LOL
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #4077585

Thought I'd show you new blooms on this first ever blooms on this plumie,wonderful perfumey fragrance as well to go with beautiful flower.

It has a yellow eye,following with a white petal edged in pink!!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
4:27 AM

Post #4077589

Gorgeous Don...you are a lucky man! Plumies in Kansas, who woulda thunk it?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:28 AM

Post #4077592

Mrs Chambers,nice smelling brug.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:31 AM

Post #4077601

Thanks Shari,other than some of the ones I have given away,me I guess!!!LOL

This was tagged Mrs Chambers 1,also nice smelling.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:33 AM

Post #4077607

When will it be time to harvest the shampoo!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:36 AM

Post #4077616

Lots of fragrance in the greenhouse today!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 13, 2007
4:37 AM

Post #4077620

Beautiful! and the book says they are ready when they are red!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:39 AM

Post #4077622

Black velvet alocasia,has anyone grown this to any size worth mentioning??

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:46 AM

Post #4077634

Well I'm ready if there ready,right freddie!!!!!LOL
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:49 AM

Post #4077640

Nanney time,thats what I say to spike every nite when I share my banana with him before
bedtime!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:52 AM

Post #4077647

What you see first when you enter the west greenhouse,the lost world!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
4:52 AM

Post #4077648

I think that is what some people down and around the corner have, and they are huge! I had to take a double take the other day driving by.

Are you sure that you are not hiding any dinosours in there, TM?

Night Tropicman!

This message was edited Oct 12, 2007 10:57 PM
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:55 AM

Post #4077652

Nite Tgal

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 13, 2007
4:59 AM

Post #4077666

The sweat is dripping from the brow and I can hear the jungle animals ...all in your greenhouse fantastic!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
5:02 AM

Post #4077676

Let me you tell you I've seen big spiders in there that I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley!!!
And if your really quiet at nite,you can hear them spinning there web!!!!LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 13, 2007
5:11 AM

Post #4077688

That's alright they will eat the bugs

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
5:19 AM

Post #4077700

Albino in a black bamboo forest!!!!LOL

Bedtime,Nite

I don't like spiders and snakes and that aint what it takes to love me...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 13, 2007
5:22 AM

Post #4077705

Nite Tm Sweet Tropical dreams
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
5:30 PM

Post #4078862

Woke this morning feeling fine,there something special on my mind!!!
Beaches,ocean breezes,palms tree swaying in the wind,ain't that the good life,as frank sinatra would say!!!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #4079532

♫Bali Hai will call you, anytime, anywhere...♫ And lucky you, when she does, all you have to do is take Spike into the greenhouse and dream away! Beautiful job, Don...you deserve a vacation for all that work!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #4079608

Thank you!
And I will soon,just about done getting everything dug up,have a couple of more people wanting stuff and they need dug up too,one of the ladies does our parrots,cutting wings and nails,and today Spike got her finger,and the blood was a rushing,poor Nancy,this is the second time this year he has bite her,he does not like his nails and beak manicured!
When we got back home,I went to put him back in his cage and he hissed and snapped at me,letting me know of his disapproval of Nancy,but she is so good with him,don't know why he has to bite her,after these passed few years,of getting his prettiness taken care of!!!!
Well off to the showers,then to take Patti out for supper,before she starves to death!!!LOL
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2007
3:48 AM

Post #4080452

Hope you had a good time at dinner...we went out also to the Outback!

Poor Nancy! Poor Spike What a day! Hope tomorrow will be better!

Jeanne
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2007
3:18 PM

Post #4081485

Patti wanted Applebees,and it's always good in the neighborhood!!! LOL
I had the pick 3,and chose fiesta wraps,spicy shrimp and questilleas,and Patti had the shrimp spinach salad with French onion soup!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2007
4:56 PM

Post #4081771

mmmmm, yummy! We have a new one built near here but haven't been there yet! Sounds good! We'll have to try it sometime!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 14, 2007
8:29 PM

Post #4082409

At the moment all the sulphur crested cockies are all over the place enjoying the grass seeds in the paddocks...they get around like teen gags sometimes and rip pine railings etc...something to do with the beaks not getting overgrown...I guess the talens get shortenened in the wild with all the scratching and tearing...sometimes you walk under a gum and there will be inches of torn twigs and foliage...poor Spike I guess it dents his dignity...and poor Nancy ouch!...Do you give spike shell grit? and cuttle fish?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2007
1:36 AM

Post #4083522

Tgal you will like it!!!!

Chrissy yes and he won't touch it,now yummy the goffin cockatoo will.
Now sike eats a wood 2x4 about every other week!!!

Finally getting some rain,maybe 3 inches worth but strong winds with possible hail as well.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007

Post #4084019

I think we are supposed to get more rain also. We could actually use it, or I will have to water tomorrow!

I think we'll try Applebee's soon!

Night!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2007
9:59 AM

Post #4084353

Need to get my flashlight and go outside and see if any damage from lastnites storms,altho
all the banana leaves I 've cut and have laying around,it already looks like a hurricane has gone thru!!!LOL
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2007
1:39 PM

Post #4084763

Don, your storm moved to Texas. 1 1/2 inches since 10PM last night and still pouring down. Just minutes ago the wind switched from the south to the north and it was whipping around just like a tornado. Hope you don't have any damage.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 15, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #4085999

I hope you are all ok
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 15, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #4086253

I everyone! Hope the storm just brought cleansing rains and maybe whipped off a few bad leaves, dead headed for you, that sort of thing. We had some overnight showers, and today looks like a beauty, lots of chores to get done.

Happy day all!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #4086436

Hi, girls. Yes it was just a wonderful cleansing and feeding of the earth. The precurser to what is ahead...changing of the season. Still haven't gotten my tropicals inside but is supposed to be 82/62 the rest of the week...so guess there's no rush. Has been a nice day to rest. The weekends are always so busy I am worn to a frazzle by Monday.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #4087260

Me too! And this is JB's day off as well, so its one more day of chores and joint activities...so I won't be really "on-line" till tomorrow...you all have a wonderful evening, and I'll talk more on the flip side.

Yokwe,
S
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2007
2:45 AM

Post #4087754

Well.Lastnite as I was in the shower,Patti,said she heard a pop,or a crack,very loud.but in the dark raining,with a flashlight couldn't find a thing,thought maybe the wind blew a lid off a trash can and it hit something.
Well this morning,while Patti was eating breakfast and having coffee,I'm already at work 3 hours in the day,Patti said she heard it again,then Bam,a branch from the elm tree,on the north side of the house,next to the greenhouse,came crashing down into the bay window,right behind where she was sitting,scared the holy crap out of her!!!
Didn't break the window,but took out the screen,we were lucky!!!!
5 gallon bucket in the driveway was over half full of rainwater,don't know much officially we got but a lot!!!LOL
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 16, 2007
4:28 AM

Post #4088049

Ooooh, lucky she wasn't hurt, TM. We were at a nursery one day when a sycamore let loose of a huge limb - it was like an explosion going off but we were a safe distance away. I can only imagine how scared Patti was.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2007
4:37 AM

Post #4088067

Yep,she was pretty scared...,couple years back lightning hit the 60ft sycamore tree across the street,burned half of it,this was during the fall,and it leafed out in the spring,and then immediately died,strange !!!!
Anyway when it got struck,it sounded as a bomb had went off,ground shook,scared the heck out of me!!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2007
4:40 AM

Post #4088071

Oh my goodness, so glad Patti wasn't hurt, she must have been shaking afterwards.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2007
4:53 AM

Post #4088089

You be sure and tell Patti that we all feel for her! How very scary!! But her karma must be very good, in that it was so close, but she wasn't hurt...thank goodness for that!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2007
9:51 AM

Post #4088333

I will,and she's a pretty tough cookie!!!!
Heck,she puts up with me!!!LOL
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 16, 2007
2:34 PM

Post #4088976

Beautiful plants, Tropicman. And I'm glad you and your spouse and your house made it through the storm OK.

katievear
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2007
5:34 PM

Post #4089561

Bless her heart. That must have been quite a scare. Glad Patti wasn't hurt.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #4089609

Glad everyone is OK!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2007
3:11 AM

Post #4091617

Thanks everyone,the weather man said were going to have another round of severe weather tomorrow,winds and heavy rainfall!!!
This is usually early spring weather,not like fall at all!!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2007
3:16 AM

Post #4091628

Here as well! It has been so warm. Finally starting to cool off! Thank goodness!

Will keep you and Patti in our prayers!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2007
8:53 AM

Post #4092052

Shari and Jenny have both mentioned that the whales are weeks early. Texas has already declared 2007 one of the wettest 10 years and it is not over yet.

Things are different.

Pray He keeps you close.

LouC
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2007
9:46 AM

Post #4092089

I agree,things are different,here it is almost November,and the leaves,are still on the trees,and mostly haven't begun to change colors yet!

I'm so surprised this has gone this far,think it's time to move to Chapter 7,let's go!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America