Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

It's beginning to look like the tropics(6)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Alata Ruby Glow Passiflora

A must for the collectors,and for those who want to inhale one of the sweetest fragrances of a flower!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Sydney, Australia

Yah much clapping and applause!!!!!
We love our passys and yours are are so beautiful!
will it have time to give you fruit?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Chrissy.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Don, found a GH on the internet today. Actually a link from a thread , that looks pretty good.

I only need something for about 3 months to protect the tropicals in pots that have grown too big for the house. Will have to find the link so you may advise if you think it will be sufficient or if I am just letting them pick my pocket.

Kwajalein, Marshall Islands(Zone 11)

Don.....standing ovations!!! Bravo! Bravo! Great job!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanky Thanky,
Had to go out and bring my coconut palms inside,they are saying it might drop below 50*
tonite.
These were huge flowers,about 6 inches in diameter,even after putting them to float in some water the oil left the fragrance on the skin of my palm,and could smell it for such the longest time tonite,even the parrots could smell it on me,they didn't want to get on my fingers!!!
Sorry Chrissy there's not enough time for the fruit to ripe if even gets any at all.it takes a certain passiflora to pollinate the ruby glow to come to fruit,at the moment can't thing just which flower it is,but if I recall it has to be one in the same family.

Sydney, Australia

No I did not mean for me ...for you ..... then I forgot that you don't eat them....not that they are brilliant but ok (to eat I mean)......the flower is so lovely we don't care right? when yours are gone I will post mine for you...the leaves are the biggest I have ever seen this year! so I expect the Summer flowers to be almost as good as your beauties.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Please do post pics of your flowers,hope they are huge like mine!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Sydney, Australia

I will ....lovely hibiscus....everything always seems more precious when you know it will leave soon....I hope you get an "Indian Summer to prolong your beauties.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks
Me too!
57* ,so didn't get as cold as predicted lastnite,but it feels cold,north wind has a chill to it.
Here in a couple weeks we turn back the clock,so it will be dark when I leave for work,and when I come home from work,I really hate that,you feel there is no day at all!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Don, this is the years that it is extended to the end of Oct. instead of the first.

Sydney, Australia

We turn forward this weekend and it will go for an extra month....don't know how that will go......my hubby squeezes enough hours in the day as it is ...that just means a looooonger day at work or here ...almost 90 cars to pull bits off until dark!.....he imports new and used US parts to Oz so even that means telephone chat at 2/3 in the morning.
I am looking forward to seeing some fall flicks from the tropic dreamers!....sorry the cold winds are there TM I think they do a lot of damage.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I forgot about that,thanks for reminding me!!!
Cold winds didn't last long,got to 81* today!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Love the passies and hibiscus! Good Job!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,I can't take all the credit,because I received,it from Clare in Californy ,as a rooted cutting a couple years back,and it's been a winner for me!!!

Sydney, Australia

Funny isn't it your fall temp the same as our spring temp today....and I hate the wind ...be it hot or cold....the only kind of wind I like is a cool breeze springing up at the end of a hot day....we are very lucky in that regard as we get a "southery breeze most arvo's around 5 ish and you can sit on the back verandah and enjoy cooling down.
Hi 77 how are you? feeling good?
Happy gardening everyone :)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

4:45 am,and 60*,beautiful morning!!!
No wind,no humidity as of yet ,feels wonderful outside!
No mosquitoes the last few days as well!
The look and smell of fall is in the air,garden has come alive,and just about taken over the sidewalk.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Sydney, Australia

Beautiful TM ....you asked about our bikini record at Bondi?
I am not posting this in my thread so here you are.....how would you like to be stranded on a tropical beach with this mob of sheilas...

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

there you are

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Have a lovely day/night TM .....;)

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Gee you get up a little earlier than me...I am up at 5......daylight saving starts this weekend.....so the body clock will be screaming "but hey it is only 4 am!!!".....takes a bit of getting used to. I do think it is the best part of the day....and you get to see the sun come up...:)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I just hate the time change. Seems as though a 30 minute split difference and just leave it alone would work fine. Why don't we just start a world-wide petition? Really didn't know it went anywhere other than the states. The business of saving energy is a joke. Whooops....getting all pxssy early in the morning. Sorry.

Sydney, Australia

LouC.........That is a great idea!
You don't like early mornings?......or does it take a cup of strong coffee to get you going?.Regarding the time change.. is it crazy like us 3 different times in the one country?....a bit of a drama when you have customers all over the place....3 hour differences....between states. They are looking into bringing us all into the one time next year....that will be interesting....how does one fix three hour differences. Smile LouC we could be living in Russia....or Germany ...one of my friends tells me it is very bad there at the moment. Have a lovely day in the garden everyone....:)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, mayam. Southern drawl for yes mam.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Sweet little Sheila you'll know her when you meet her,her name drives me insane!!!!

Over a thousand Sheila's!!!!!!!!

Wow,what a day for a day dream.I'm just a day dreaming boy,lost in a day dream,dreaming about my Sheila's for sure!!!!

Life just doesn't get any better than that!!!!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Does Mrs. Don know about you.........

Men! Can't live with em....can't plant em!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yeah!!!
She just rolls her eyes!!!!

She was a hair dresser for 31 yrs,let her retire 14 yrs ago,because she got carpule tunnel,had the surgery in both wrist,but has no strength in her hands,her beauty shop is now her quilting room,she has one of those 12 ft quilting tables and machines,but it has so much crap on the table,she just keeps buying material,and has no place to put it,had a 12ft shed built out back,now it's full to the roof!!!!
I have my own hobby lobby in my back yard!!!!

Guess it's okay....must admit I like a little of the pectoral eye candy myself once in a while...a beautiful form is a joy for all, whether animal, vegetable or mineral.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I'll drink to that!!!!!LOL

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Mrs Don sounds like my kind of gal! Quilting fabric is VERY addictive! How very lucky she is to have her on space to spread out.....

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yep,Its a battle for space around here!!!
And she's winning!!!!LOL

Sydney, Australia

I think you are doing ok TM.....my hubby takes up of the place too only he likes cars instead of tropical plants....:)

Sydney, Australia

G'day TM and everyone....just taking a quick coffee break twixt cooking for the mob this holiday weekend!
I wanted you to see the sky at 5 am on a Sat morn 29th ......

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

and my happy colours 3 hours later :).....note paddock over the fence :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Well back to the potato salads and dips! :) but I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to see so many folks dropping in on the tropical forum ....a big warm welcome one and all!!!!!!
Have a lovely weekend ......:)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Chrissy, see you have a solar clothes dryer. lol That has become a sort of joke here. Until recent years I didn't know to use any other kind. Now they are pushing, pushing them.
When I wanted one, had to have MFIL build it because they had gone out of style. Finally took it down last year. The pollution is too bad. We live only 1/2 mile from an interstate and even though I have lots of trees and other vegetation didn't want to take the chance.

Wish I could be a fly on the wall at your party.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

The sunlight was just perfect the colors came out very nice in the flowers.

Is salsa,and chips,refried beans,bid there,like here in Usa?

Like Barbecue,,Chinese food,Mexican food!
Fast food restaurants are on every corner in America.

Sydney, Australia

BBQ....salads....nibbles(chips and crackers ...dips/corn chips)
my family don't do fast food much... too many good cooks....if you could be here... money could not buy the experience of everyone bringing their "famous dishes" ...having so many Nationalities it is like a big cultural feast....the best of everything! Heavy on the Italian ..Do we have take away every where ...yes a lot! we have Pizza Parlour and pizza joints....hamburger joints...and the golden M's....Kentucky fried of course.....Red Rooster...fish and chip shops ...Charcoal Chicken etc.
Lebanese/ Chinese/ Thai /Indian.....well just about any that you can think of......with the younger people every one eats out ...a bit of a shame in my opinion ....but I am showing my age when I say that.
Wish you could all be here with us......I will try to pop back later :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.