Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Part 3...HOW TO - Make faux sea glass

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Coming from a long thread on Part 2, which was here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/771071/

For more archival information, Part 1 was fun, too!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/761052/

:-) I'm so excited to see so many giving this a try, and
enjoying it, too!

Thumbnail is of a huge pile of glass I acquired after fishing
in a recycling bin for a while.

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Olympia, WA

To answer the question in the prior thread about how to tell when glass color is real or painted on - just look into the neck of the bottle or vase - if the bottom is clear, instead of red or blue, it is painted. It IS harder to tell w/ things like plates which will be completely painted - so the scratch test would be the way to go.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Whoops, my apologies, Wannadanc. :-)

Olympia, WA

Wuvie - what is the apology for??? It was definitely time for a new thread. Love it, BTW

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

The thought of adding the last post to this new thread crossed
my mind, but I was sidetracked by frogs. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"sidetracked by frogs"

At the risk of taking this new thread O/T so soon, I want to know about the frogs!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wuvie, I hope you were wearing heavy gloves while fishing around that bin for those pieces of glass!

I have a question about doing rocks in the tumblers... Do I need to buy the $10 assortment of special abrasives, or can I use alternative things for the different size grades of particles -- maybe coarse sand followed by play sand followed by, oh I don't know, baking soda?

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Critter,

Oh, I'm having a grand time on the frogs right now. We have a large
man made box-shaped pond FILLED with frogs who decided they
wanted to live with us. So I tossed a great heap of water lettuce into
the box, the rain filled it with several inches of water, and the U-Hauls
began to arrive.

Here is a thread where we are having froggie fun:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/774177/

As for the gloves, most definitely. I sat in the recycling bin for a long
time picking, picking, picking. It was such fun. The entire pile of it was
poured on a piece of carpet in the garage, then I sat on the ground picking
one piece at a time, organizing it piece by piece according to color
grouping.

With regard to the rocks, I haven't spent a lot of time doing those, but
if they were just common rocks out of the driveway, simple sand will
do a lot. If you are tumbling semi-precious gems and other nice stones,
I would definitely follow the directions and use the grits as advised.

Many rocks in our area are high in sand content, so they tumble pretty easy.
For the fun of it, sticks - literally sticks, broken branches were put into the
tumbler for a week. The result? Very round-ended smooth beautiful pieces
of wood perfect for a terrarium or lizard / frog tank.

I'll tumble anything once. Twice if it turns out well. LOL.

Thumbnail is of the meat trays used to separate the glass.

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

We have a family of frogs that moved into our little dump find pond... The Cleavers... Ward, June, Wally, and The Beaver. Not sure what they are going to do when the winter comes, as there is not enough mud in the bottom to winter in. Thinking of capturing them and taking them to a bigger pond but sure will miss them next year... we'll probably get Eddie Haskell moving in!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Wuvie! That sound like $10 I probably don't need to spend right now, then. :-)

Brender, your frogs sound like fun, too! LOL at "the Cleavers" and "Eddie Haskell!"

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

My TWO tumblers came today, the double 3 pound ones. I haven't the foggiest idea of what I want to tumble... most of my "finds" are still in storage.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Darius, did you get those double ones on sale? I can only find the sale price on the single tumblers.

Sitting and watching things tumble sounds like a perfect activity during your recuperation! ;-)

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay, just looking for some opinions. DH brought some of this material home from work. Does it sound okay to use in the tumbler for glass?

Starblast™ is a high-efficiency, low-dusting, low-free-silica blasting abrasive. It is a naturally occurring mineral sand mined in Florida. Starblast™ excels at removing mill scale and rust from new steel and is highly effective in removing paints and coatings from most surfaces.

Any thoughts on if it may damage the roller? Hmmmmm.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Celia, does the roller come into contact with anything on the inside of the tumbler? If not, there is no reason the starblast should damage it. On my first batch I used some white silica sand and it did OK, but seemed too fine to really give me the frosted look I wanted. I am using plain old builders sand from Home Depot on this batch to see if I like it better. I would say to use it and see what you think. After all that is part of the fun of this new (at least to me) hobby! Let us know how it goes.

Olympia, WA

Do we have any collective advice or wisdom about using a diamond drill bit to make holes in some of this great stuff??? I am thinking "earrings" or "pendant" - depending upon the generalized outcome of efforts. I have a little Dremel - which I have NEVER used for ANYTHING. I think it is time!!!!!!!!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I think I remember seeing something somewhere about putting glass objects in a small amount of water to keep them from breaking while being drilled. Somehow I would be afraid to try that --- the old electricity and water do not mix thing. An idea that might be worth trying is to put a peice of the grey duct tape over it and drill through that. You can use duct tape of almost anything you know........

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, it's started! I broke up a blue bottle. I found myself unsure about the sizes and shapes. I'll check it tomorrow night to see how they're doing. If not much happening, I'll get some coarser sand.

Crit, mine were on sale for $29.95 each. The SKU is 90979.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Darius, dear. I'm sorry to tell you, that having two tumblers is
not allowed. Box one up immediately and send it my way.
Heh heh. Just kidding. Lucky you!

Celia, that sounds fantastic! I would definitely give it a try, you
may be very impressed after just a day. If you try, please post
your results. We may put your hubby in business! Have fun with
your bottle!

Wannadance, definitely fun to drill holes in. The drawback is
deciding when to drill. If you drill before tumbling, the glass may
wear down during the process, bringing the hole close to the edge.
Generally not a problem, though, if you allow for tumbling decrease
when you place the hole. If you drill afterwards, just take your time and
go slow, or you could break the piece you spent days tumbling. :-)
Diamond bits indeed.

We have a nifty table top drill (another Harbor Freight goodie) which I
use for drilling everything. A deep dish, such as a meat tray, with a block
of wood to bring the piece up to the bit yet still keep the glass underwater
is the method I prefer. The piece must be in water to keep it cool. Go
very slowly and don't force the drill, let the drill do the work and whistle
while you wait.

:-)

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

So you CAN use water! Thank you for the info Wuvie.

Olympia, WA

Oh Darius - the price NOW is

ITEM 90979-2VGA

$39.99

Drats!!!!!!!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Wait, wait, don't anyone buy one at that price!

Trust me, they go on sale every few months. If I have
to wait for one, you do, too! LOL

Those of us who were not able to take advantage of the sale
and coupon, we'll just wait. Then, when it goes back on, I
promise to Dmail everyone about it.

:-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmm, it never came up at that price for me last week... same SKU. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see what's up. The single barrel tumbler (the 3 lb. one) is still on sale at $19.99. But for half again as much, I'd rather have two barrels!

And if I miss it, I'm fine with waiting a bit on this project... I figured they had sales pretty regularly. I signed up for their email notification. :-)

Olympia, WA

I am laughing at myself - as I already have TWO single ones - but somehow a double one or two seems a good idea!!!! OK - so no purchases of double barreled ones until we get a sale price once again.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

so what you're trying to tell me is that this tumbling thing is addictive....

LOL, I could use another harmless addiction to go with my plant obsessions!

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

wannadanc
I use a Dremel with a diamond drill bit (you can get a box of 20 I think it is for around $8.00 at where else HF).
I have a small tub with water & thick chunk of Styrofoam keep water over the glass . Every now and then pick up the drill so water can get into the hole.
Don't push let the drill do the work .. Yes its slow going :-)
Cheryl

critterologist,
I ordered my double for $29.00 But the paper said the sale ended 9-24-07
Must have been a lot ordered as im still waiting for mine.

darius,
how long did it take for you to get yours ?
did it come US mail or UPS ?
Cheryl

Olympia, WA

Denimangle - thanks for the helpful info........I can tell that I am going to get intimate w/ the boys at HF once again.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, deni! I tried to find that price on the website (before 9-24) but couldn't... I should've called!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK! What is HF????

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Harbor Freight... there was a link on the previous thread...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46376

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Gita,

Glad you joined the thread.

Guess what? There is a Harbor Freight Tools in
both north and south Baltimore. :-)

N BALTIMORE,MD 8884 WALTHAM WOODS RD 410-663-6186
S.BALTIMORE, MD 6320 RITCHIE HWY, STE 3 410-609-1264

Cheryl, mine came UPS and took nearly 2 weeks from ordering.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

WUVIE,

I wouldn't say I am 'joining" this thread, but I have been following it all along. I "lurk" on a lot of Threads. I am forever fascinated about all that people do here. SO much talent! Especially YOU, Bettypauze, Lizrainy, etc. Just amazing!

I am no "toadstool" in the craft area myself, just don't have the time and commitment to assume yet another craft project. I only have about 99 unfinished ones all throughout the house. Mostly small crafts, but I could do anything if I set my heart to it--almost.......as long as it does not involve major tools and mechanical equipment........:o)

I love the "sea glass". I am fascinated, that's why I wanted to know what HF was.

Thanks for the locations info. here. The Waltham Woods one is only about 15 min. from my house. I will check it out. I think it may be in the shopping center there....

Keep posting all those beautiful pictures!

Thanks, Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, Gita, how neat! Not only do we get to meet you, but
with compliments and beautiful blooms to boot!
You're too sweet!

I'm so glad you joined the thread. It seems many of us have the
same issues, there are so many things to do in life, so many things
to try, yet so little time.

Am I mistaken, or are those the largest Hibiscus syriacus blooms
I've ever seen? Wow. Rose of Sharon are my favorites, can't have enough!

Hope you will come back and join us again and again.

:-) Karen Marie

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Just checked the results after 1 day. The pieces are very smooth. They're a pretty cobalt blue. I rinsed them and added more Starblast. I'll wait until Saturday to check again. Now to think of what to do with it!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Celia,

That is fantastic! This stuff you are using, does it disintegrate eventually,
or does it seem to remain? Sounds neat!

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

WUVIE - After I rinsed, there was still the sand-like substance. It wasn't thick or goopy though. It was easy to rinse. Let me know if you would like me to send you some to try.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Wuvie,

I have NO idea what a Hibiscus cyriacus is. Not familiar with botanical names on anything. This one is a Kopper King H.

In my picture, I am standing behind the blooms (second ones--i cut the plant back) of my Kopper King Hibiscus. This plant totally surprised me by growing to 6' tall. When all the first wave of blooms were done, i cut the tops back. It re-grew and bloomed a second time.
The bummer is--not a ONE seed pod! None! Must be a hybrid.

Of course, this has NOTHING to do with faux sea Glass....so i will not go any further..

By the way, I drove by the Waltham Woods HF store and popped in to pick up a brochure. It is filled with mostly tools and such.

Gita

By the way, I drove by the Waltham Woods HF store and popped in to pick up a brochure. It is filled with mostly tools and such.

Gita
Oh Yes Gita Thats Whu we love the Place :-)
Cheryl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.