Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Strawbale Gardening: Round 2 :)

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2007
3:54 PM

Post #4023422

Just wanted to let y'all know that my green beans and tomatoes (some of them) are beginning to produce again! Hope that this will give me more of the tasty tomatoes I had for a while, I miss them so...
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

September 29, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #4029254

One of these days I'm going to have a greenhouse with tomatoes year round!

Kent
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2007
4:48 AM

Post #4029622

Russ, this spring I tried hydroponic tomatoes and they were next best to picking from my garden. For the wrong time of year they had a wonderful flavor.

Jeanette
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #4029959

Kent wrote; "One of these days I'm going to have a greenhouse with tomatoes year round!"

Ya know, I've been considering that, and (I think) I've decided that I'd miss the anticipation of the preparation, worry and wait for the first "real" tomato. I think I'll let Mother Nature have Her way, and hope She'll let me stretch the season a bit, both ways *G*.
Besides, if I had to tend to things outside in the winter how would I ever have time to wallow in all the catalogs...:)

Margo
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #4030646

Kent, I meant that last comment about hydroponics for you. LOL

Margo!! Boy do you have a point there. Those catalogs are what get me thru the long boring winter.

Jeanette
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

September 30, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #4032018

Jeanette: that's the first I've heard (or at least remember) about you and hydroponics!

Kent
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 30, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #4032322

I remember when I attempted to extend the season by taking tomato plants (cuttings? - I can't remember) into my high school classroom for the fall/winter. Do you know what the 7 year locust or cicada cycle is like - in terms of numbers of "hatchlings"??? Well, welcome to the white fly infestation of biblical proportions!!!!!!! Needless to say - no wintering over of tomatoes.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2007
5:09 AM

Post #4032630

Kent,
In one of the posts I said that we wanted bacon and tomato sandwiches so bad before the season and the produce manager in one of the groceries told us that they had hydroponically grown tomatoes that were the next best thing to picking your own.

So, we tried them, even at $3 per pound. They were delicious. Great flavor. If it weren't for the money involved, I would try those instead of hot house tomatoes. And, I have to admit, that I have never checked into the cost of hydroponics.

Wanna, that is too bad about the White Fly Infestation. Why don't you try pole beans. They grow fast and grow everywhere. The kids would love them.

Jeanette

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2007
1:34 PM

Post #4033084

Not sure how cold it gets in Wake Forest, NC but my DH made this little contraption as a 'camper shell' that we would carry along on camping trips and assemble when it looked like rain was coming in. It was way too much trouble for that idea but I'm a'thinkin' it will make a nice little greenhouse this winter. Last winter we had three mornings in a row at 26 degrees here in Phoenix.

It's small, easily portable and can also be used as a shade structure. In addition to all that good stuff, it's cheap to make and we could have another one or two. Much easier to manage than one large one.

Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 30, 2007
3:19 PM

Post #4033411

Thanks, Jnette! Actually - I turned in my red pencils and grade book 8 years ago after 3 decades of teaching biology to hormonally challenged teenagers. What fun that was!!!!! Now - though - there is a lot MORE fun to be had and I am working just as diligently on that.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

October 1, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4035138

MaryMcP: good idea with the pipes to make a frame for a greenhouse. It can get into the single digits during the winter.

Kent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #4035599

Ouch - single digits. Much as I dislike our triple digits in summer, single digits are gnarly. Good luck with it. I planted my 4 bales today!! Peppers and tomatos.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2007
5:23 AM

Post #4035866

Mary, sounds like your growing weather finally kicked in. Lucky you. It will be 8 months before we are where you are now. Have fun!

Jeanette
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2007
12:16 PM

Post #4057093

It's been unseasonably warm here, for October, but, miserable as _I_ am, I'm NOT complaining. It seems to be perfect for my tomatoes :). We had this very odd thing happen Thursday, there was water falling from the sky. At least I think that's what was happening, but I don't remember seeing it happen before. The garden loved it, and the tomatoes are busy growing larger, and I need to pick pole beans again :).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America