Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Maui from the sea.

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 48, Views: 291
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2007
4:44 PM

Post #4023563

Thought you might like to see Maui from the ocean. My girlfriend is captain of the boat and when there are not too many visitors we ride along for free!. As you can see the weather was stormy ( no, not a drop of rain at my house!)

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2007
4:45 PM

Post #4023566

Another...

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #4023572

Yet another

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2007
4:49 PM

Post #4023580

I know I am no photographer... This shows Clint Eastwoods home.

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #4023631

WOW!!! How very beautiful it is!! I would LOVE to live in an environment like that!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2007
9:14 PM

Post #4024472

Oh beautiful!!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #4025059

Wow!! Gorgeous!!! And I want Clint's house!! lol
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #4025096

Me too Pepper!!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #4025107

Absolutely Beautiful. I have never been to the Beautiful State of Hawaii but have had a couple of chances to go ... just can't imagine being on an airplane that long! So, alas I must enjoy the beauty from photo's!

Braveheartsmom: You say you are no photographer but you sure did a great job of these pictures! We are drooling here! Hope to see more!

Here's a view from the waterway of the area where I live. We take our boat out every so often just to ride and view the scenery. And we stop and get lunch and anchor here at Disappearing Island at Ponce De Leon Inlet. This island is underwater at high tide.

Thumbnail by plantladylin

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2007
10:12 PM

Post #4028341

Makes me want to be near the water. Thanks both of you for sharing.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2007
11:40 PM

Post #4028591

I'm hoping to see more of Maui and the Hawaiian Islands!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2007
3:34 AM

Post #4029442

Great pictures! Love them! The mountains and the beautiful waterfalls are some of my favorite memories of the islands...well, Oahu, anyway. Would love to see Maui and the others!!!! So gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

September 30, 2007
5:13 AM

Post #4032646

Jenny, these are wonderful photos! They may not be "professional" looking, but they certainly get your point across! I have never been to Maui, but your pictures certainly make me want to visit. I looks much smaller than the others, is it? Or is it a collection of smaller islands around one large one? You have a beautiful home...obviously why someone with Mr. Eastwoods resources chooses to live there!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

September 30, 2007
3:07 PM

Post #4033371

I would love to visit there...that water looks inviting too! I wish our island had some elevation...we are flat here but get relatively now tide change...i think that it is around 6 inches max...the highest point on the island is the landfill!!!

thanks for sharing the pictures from your "ride"

j
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2007
3:07 PM

Post #4033377

Good morning, j
Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #4033428

I so love the Hawaiian Islands, my son chose Maui to get married earlier this year and we also had the good fortune to have a business trip to the North Shore of Oahu a month later. I posted some glider and heli pics on the photo forum, if you are interested.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/774077/

I dove the Molikini crater (sorry if the spelling is not correct) with Mike Severns group of marine biologists and naturalists it was just fantastic. Saw so much more then I would have on a regular dive trip.

Your photos from the boat are wonderful, love the sky!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2007
4:50 PM

Post #4033677

Thank you all for your nice comments, my skills leave a lot to be desired (I blame the camera!) but it's not going to stop me, I always think a poor photo is better than none at all!

Cath, your photo link was great, thank you for adding it, it shows the island so well.

Maui is the second largest island in the chain with an area of 727 sq miles. We are the third largest in population after Oahu and the Big Island. The second photo is not another land mass but rather an old lava tube rather like Diamond Head on Oahu. Maui County which is known as Maui Nui is comprised of the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, Lana'i and Kaho'olawe. We were once one land mass. 200,00 years ago volcanic activity made us all islands.

Maui was formed by two volcanos which overlapped and formed an isthmus between them which is why we are known as the Valley Isle. We are also sometimes called the Rainbow Isle.
The volcano that sits behind our home is Hale'akala (the house of the sun). It is 10,000 feet above sea level and hasn't blown it's top for 200 years, and we hope it stays that way!

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
9:16 PM

Post #4034363

That is really interesting! Thanks for sharing the information with us! It is very informative and educational!

The brugs have been potted! Thanks again for them! It is sincerely appreciated!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

September 30, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #4034725

Jenny - thanks for all the info! I don't know about the others, but I am (naturally) fascinated by island geographic history. I didn't know much about Maui, and now I feel quite enlightened.

Cath - you are indeed lucky to have been diving with that group! What a treat!

John, if you get as close as Maui, you'd best be lettin me know!!!!

Mornin' Christi and 77**! Well, mornin for me = early evening for you! Hope everyone had a wonderful day!

We've got rain - may have to cancel our brunch plans :-(
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #4035113

As always, I am enthralled with any information on all the islands. Been landlocked and homebound my whole life...well, not exactly homebound...not ill or anything...just never made it very far. Now that I have all of these friends all over the place...think we just might have to lock up the place for about 6 months and make the rounds. Whooopss...my doggies...my fishies...oh...and my grandbaby.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #4035297

Maybe 6 months is too long...just spend a month with me, home for a month, then a month with Jenny and Carol, then home for a month, then a month with Chrissy...you get the idea. You find a house/dog/fish sitter, and store up a months worth of grandbabby kisses till you get back! Substitute cat for dog, and drop the fish and that is exactly what I do!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #4035355

Sounds like a plan. Now I just have to get about a dozen people on board...such as Jenny, Carol, Chrissy...hahahahah...pretty good fantasy. Always say...If your gonna dream...DREAM BIG!...

Since you figured out the plan...I know you are ok with it.

LouC

I have a number of friends over the years that fell into the roll of Ethel. I could always talk them into doing some of the craziest things...boy did we have a good time.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #4035378

Oh yeah, I'd say I'm okay with it! Like I told you already - I'm packing you into my suitcase and taking you along!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #4035387

It would take an awfully big suitcase..
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4035400

I seem to recall a Lucy/Ethel adventure with just this scenario...if it worked for them, why not us?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4035409

Something about a steamer trunk... They would definitely charge for over-weight.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #4035417

Well, I can fantasize can't I?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #4035550

I think I have hi-jacked again. so sorry.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #4035592

LOL. We both did...So sorry Jenny! Back to the beautiful island of Maui...more pics please???
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:41 AM

Post #4047066

Yes Jen, more pictures please? How's my coconut tree doing? Be sure and take good care of it for me! Give hugs to coco for me! :0)

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2007
11:20 AM

Post #4134715

Here is Maui as we arrived to Lahaina. It's another composite panoramic picture, involving 5 or 6 shots merged together. My merging techniques have improved since then but you can't improve on the islands.

The ship was late so we got to see the whole approach. That ship was a clunker but the islands we visited were splendiferous.

Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2007
1:59 PM

Post #4135179

So beautiful I can hardly believe it is real.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2007
4:15 PM

Post #4135657

Lovely pic, Polar Bear! Isn't the sea a beautiful color? If you go to the very right and see that little bump of land, I live just a short way from there. We often snorkle in that area. Thanks for posting a decent photo of the island!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2007
5:09 PM

Post #4135817

To think we stayed overnight in Maui. We saw sugar cane, the wonderful Iao Valley, sugar cane, went for my birthday's luau, returned to the ship, returned ashore for shopping and oggling the banyan the following day. On that 2nd day, I could have rented a car and driven over to see you. We missed Carol in Hilo, too. Bummer!

Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2007
3:02 PM

Post #4163669

Just as beautiful as a month ago. How close are you to the beach, Jenny? Looks as though no matter where one might be...they are close to the beach.

LouC
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #4163879

Aloha!

We are about a half a mile straight down the street to the beach, of course there are beaches all along Kihei and Wailea...but that is our closest one. Pretty much all the homes are within a mile or so of the coast in my area because the land behind us goes up to Mount Haleakala and that is not developed - yet!

Kihei is pretty much a visitor area, not the prettiest place, with a jumble of small shops and eateries, just what you would imagine a tourist trap to be like! But the beaches are gorgeous and there are enough of them so that even in tourist season they don't feel crowded, we are not talking Wikiki here!

I live in far south Kihei, just on the outskirts of Wailea which is a beatiful area with luxury homes, lovely hotels and golf courses. This is the area of the Maui Prince, the Grand Wailea and other luxury accomadations. Kihei has only condiminium rentals, no large hotels, so we get mostly families rather than large conventions.

As you can imagine land is gold here, and I am lucky enough to have 1/2 acre. Most of the homes now being built are so close to each other you could spit from your kitchen to the next one! When we first started coming to Maui you could go along the Pi'ilani highway and see the sea all the way along, now unfortunately you only get a glimps every now and then, so sad! There is a great resistance here to becoming another Oahu among the locals, with the big business and commercial centers, but I have no doubt it will happen.

We still have some lovely rural areas "up country". This is where I would prefer to live but Frank just loves the ocean, so we have a compromise and I have my little piece of land!

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #4163887

Would never have believed that Paradise has good and better places. hahaha
Can hardly wait.

Christi
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2007
4:10 PM

Post #4163931

I can't wait to show you some of the incredible beauty we have here, so much diversity from the starkness of the lava flows to the jungles of the "heavenly road to Hana", the blue of the ocean, the wonderful three island views from up country...and the whales! My personal favorite - I can sit on the beach and watch them all day long, I find them fasinating! We are planning a whale watch boat when you get here if thats okay with you, up close and personal!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #4163970

Anything is alright with me. I'm easy entertained. Especially when there is nature involved. That would an experience that few people in the world ever get. Talked to John. He is doing fine. Really busy. He says there is a contraption for snorkeling for people like me. Can't swim. You mentioned that you and Frank are snorklers (is that a word). We are going to the Texas coast the last of November. No comparison with the islands. I am content to wade on the edges of the water or sit on a stool and just breathe.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2007
4:34 PM

Post #4164014

There is a contraption which delivers air to you while snorkeling on the boats. However if you don't swim you wouldn't want to be involved with that, its usually very deep water. We are planing on taking you to Ulua beach which has a reef that comes right up to the shore line. There are fish at just knee deep water. How about we put you over a boogie board and you just put your face in (with a mask on for clarity), no snorkle, and you can stand up whenever you want! No swimming involved!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 6, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #4164468

Oh you guys are making me so jealous. I want to go back to the islands!!!

I hope you have wonderful weather and a grand time. It is not in my nature to wish otherwise, even when plagued with jealousy.

Take care.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #4164553

Sylvain, did you get my post about how you are the one that introduced me to Bradduh IZ. OMG. Immediately bought 3 cd and downloaded on iTunes. Jenny, can tell you I take him to the garden with me all the time. Such a soothing and delightful voice and the message is so good. Now you can't be jealous. You have been everywhere more than once. I have been to Oklahoma. hahahah Well, maybe a little further but not mutch. This will be a lifetime, life changing experience for me. Few people can equal this trip. I am so thankful.

Christi

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 6, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #4165090

Yes, Christi, you have told me about my introducing you to Bruddah Iz. I'm glad if I could share the the joy of Iz with friends.

I have bought a passiflora macrocarpa Saturday that I have got to get into the ground soon. I hope I'll be able to do that tomorrow morning. For once in my life, I bought a mature plant in a 7-gallon pot. The flowers are gorgeous and Oh so fragrant.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 7, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #4165585

Christi - you are going to fall in love with the islands, I just know it. Then you will move out to our wonderful Pacific, and I will be able to visit you whenever I go through Hawaii! How cool would that be!?!?!?

Sylvain - take care of that Passiflora!

Jenny - our dear lil Loooocy couldn't have a better island tour guide. I am sure you guys are all going to have so much fun!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #4165719

awww. Makes me feel so humble. Gonna cry again.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #4165747

You know, I just thought, we are leaving a lot of folks out in the dark, how very rude of me! Christi and Mike are coming to Maui in February for a visit, hence all the chat!
Aloha!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #4165781

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??? Right, I am shouting. Happy, happy, happy. And next Wednesday, Nov. 14, Mike and I are driving to Houston to meet Shari and JB. They will be on a layover for a few hours. Going to Randy's for brunch.

Can you believe what a blessed girl I am.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 7, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #4166225

...uh...now wait a minute...I think that I am the lucky one!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2007
3:57 AM

Post #4166400

LouC...how wonderful that you are going to the islands! I am so happy for you!! I hope you have a wonderful time, as I'm sure you will!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America