Moving Back to the Farm

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

1st time posting on this forum. We have decided to move from Calgary to a farm, which has been in my family since 1911. I have owned it for over 10 years & now I think my family is ready for the move. I'm very excited to have the space to garden. My kid has a very interesting list of the animals she would like. Hope to move all my plants in the spring. I couldn't resist & planted my 1st tree the 1st weekend of September. The buildings are very decrepid & there is a ton of work to be done, but it is very beautiful & quiet. We plan to build a new home within a couple of years....in the interm we are camping out in the old farm house.

Can't Wait. Bye Bye City Life !!!

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

We will all expect many updates and lots of pictures of your progress..

Can't help but ask, What kind of tree did you decide to plant ?

Putting down roots sounds like a good thing to me.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I planted a Crimson Frost Birch. Very cool deep burgandy small leaf with the white paper bark.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

What a beautiful piece of land! Do you have to worry about the river overflowing? Your kid is going to enjoy growing up on a farm. I did!

We bought 10 acres a couple of years ago for our retirement home. This is where I'm supposed to be getting a greenhouse and a solarium/greenhouse attached to the house.

Keep us posted with more pictures!

:) Donna

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Donna,

The river is actually a slough (quite large @ that). There's a little story about it in the DG's Canadian Forum under (Fall Garden- today in Calgary) with more pictures.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2007 8:59 PM

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Congratulations on a wonderful decision. Farm life is like nothing else on earth. So many positive learning experiences.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Welcome to the farm forum, Joanne. What a beautiful spot. We will be looking for updates and pictures for sure.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

How exciting for you! Your place is BEAUTIFUL and the setting reminds me a lot of "Green Gables" - very "storybook" like!!! Yes, you have your work cut out for you (we just finished restoring our 120+ year old barn and know how much work it takes) but you will find that it is a labor or love, and will enjoy every second. Make sure you get yourself a digital camera so that you can document each improvement. You'll be thankful you did. ...I'm making a photo/history book of our barn's renovation and will make sure that it always stays with the farm house & barn, regardless of who owns our place in the future. .....Don't forget about us here at DG!!! We're going to want pictures of every change, discovery, etc.!! :)

~~ Glenda

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I need to choose one of the building to add a greenhouse to. Our growing season is quite short. Last spring I converted my kid's swing set into a greenhouse for all the seeds that I had started. It worked well & she had the swing back mid-May. I used landscape ties to hold the plastic down & propane tent heater. Spent a whopping $50 on supplies.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

here's another pic

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Great idea! If you're that innovative, Joanne, I have no doubt but what you'll have the old farm whipped into shape in no time. Congratulations on the upcoming move and change. How exciting!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Joanne,
I took the liberty of linking your thread you mentioned above.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/773403/

Have fun on your new farm!
Now I will go check out the other thread.
Bernie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

A swing set green house. What a novel but wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing with us.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is one of the unveiling. I fit a lot of plants in there.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We worked up the original veggie garden. Oh My....I need to come up with a plan. I think it's bigger than a city block.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

another. this will be sooooo different from trying to cram everything into a very itty bitty area in a city yard.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Wow! The only person I know who has a garden on that scale, is Bernie (Country Gardens) who sells his produce at farmers markets. Is your plan to grow for markets? Nice tractor you have there!

It's a beautiful place with lots of potential for a great lifestyle. I wish you the best and hope to see a lot of pictures. You said you were "camping out" in the old house. How about some details? Are you staying there for the winter?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We spent the past weekend ripping out old rugs...have a few more rooms to go. Throughout the winter we are going to redo the flooring with laminate or hardwood & paint. We need to replace the furnace (blower motor is hooped & no parts available) before the end of the month. The only heat we have is an odd ball wood burning stove, which throws a lot of heat.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's the wood stove

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Ooooooooh, yeah, I'd say out with the wood stove and treat yourself to a furnace quick!

The kitchen cabinetry is gorgeous, Joanne. Can one have too much wood? No!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My dad built the cupboards about 35 years ago. They would do well with some restaining, but held up really well. The house has been vacant for a few years.

The John Deere: My cousin completely re-did this tractor. Looks like brand new. A little hobby of his.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2007 8:15 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a different angle of the cabinets

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I miss my wood stove - we put a wood furnace in the basement, more even heat, but there's nothing like cuddling up to a wood stove on a cold morning. The house looks like it won't take much to turn it into what you really want. We had to rip out walls and strip down to the studs in some of the rooms here. The addition of insulation has been a wonderful thing. We redid the first floor completely and washed and painted all the rooms upstairs between November 18 and January 16. That was 14 years ago this fall - I was sooooo much younger then!

Tell your cousin good job. We have a JD 1938 unstyled A that Stan has rebuilt. The engine still needs a good overhaul, but it looks great. They used to build tractors with a certain grace that's definitely lacking in the new ones.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

It looks like you are camping out quite comfortably. I had something much more primative in mind. You even have a real working kitchen, well, I'm assuming you have running water, maybe even heated water? The wood stove definitely looks like one of a kind, but at this point function outweighs beauty. I like the restored tractor, and I bet your cousin was more than happy to be using his big toy out there in your big garden.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We have barely a skiff of snow in Calgary. The last few days we spent @ the farm with more clean-up and took advantage of the snow to burn a lot of junk. Winter has set in @ the farm. We were unable to drive into the yard, so we hiked in.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's another pic of all the snow (about 2 feet deep)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

You are blessed to have so many outbuildings. It affords you more opportunities.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It would be better if most of the builds weren't so decrepit. The farm has been very neglected for about 50 years. There are a number of buildings that we will need to take down...just not worth saving & very dangerous, currently. There are some that are solid log built & we will put a tin roof on them, but many are already half down or on their way. I think we will burn this one on the spot it sits.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Save every board you can salvage. Barn lumber that old is valuable and good for smaller projects like bookshelves, picture frames, ect.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

joannabanana, your oddball wood stove looks to me like one of the "home grown" thermal mass or rocket stoves. I've seen them with both vertical and horizontal barrel positioning. The barrel construction was less expensive than the traditional masonry heaters (kachelofens). If your barrel is a thermal mass stove, you have a very efficient wood stove that won't take a lot of fuel to heat the room.

Take a look at the photos and descriptions of the stoves at these links:

http://www.endtimesreport.com/thermal_mass_wood.html

http://bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/apro/Heat/Heating%20Stoves%20LO-RES.pdf

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The wood stove is "home grown". It heats the entire main level of the house. A bit of an eye sore, but it is fun to light a fire & enjoy it.

Mid-Michigan, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow. My first time on this forum. I'm a farmgirl wannabe. Very cool , joannabanana! (I have a Hannahbanana, by the way, lol).

Michelle in Michigan

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Joanna
hoooray for you on getting back to your rooots. :)
what a great idea on the swing set.
what great pics too. very pretty where you are.
I betcha already planning your garden ?
will we see you in the canning forums ? now that you have all that area and big garden ? :)
Hmmm that wood stove is a bit ghastly looking but very historic indeed. Have you looked into a more modern wood burinign stove ? i have seen them and they are very pleasing to look at .
take care an i enjoyed all your pics
sue

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That stove is plain ugly. We haven't moved yet & probably won't for at least a year or so. Our new plan is to do some major clean-up, a little renovation to the farm house and treat it as a great get-away from the city. We will have to move into the old house while a new one is built, but that won't be until we are ready to quit our jobs & move to the farm full time. We have ripped all the rugs out & our next step is to replace the dark panelling with gyprock & fresh paint. We are watching for laminate or hardwood sales. The stove will need to go into another building. It was originally a wood burning fireplace, which should be fairly easy to get back to that state.....certainly would look a lot better.

We are about a 5 hour drive from the farm. There is a lot of fencing that will need to be done next spring, since the cows had escaped into the yard. I haven't planted anything other than a Crimson Birch tree. Thought I would plant some small Larch trees this spring. Since we are so far away, most garden planting will have to wait until we are there to take care of it. Can't wait to have a real greenhouse, with no size restriction.

You certainly have alot of work to do. :)
The kin folk said "Joanne move away from their " :) swimming pools ,movie stars. lol :)
Hardwood is nice .
Chestnuts are good trees to plant and easy too. Then you get yummy nuts in the fall
best
catch ya later
sue

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Not sure if Chestnuts will grow there. It's in Zone 2....yes will get to -40 or colder in the winter

ahhhhh yes , lol i forgot about that . wow -40 , we think 20 is cold here in Ohio.
sue

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, what a blessing!!! This will so exciting to watch. And yes, salvage all that you can of those outbuildings - reuse the wood, tin, whatever you can.

I look forward to seeing your updates, and a belated welcome to the forum Joanna. I just got back on recently.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the input of the fallen building & keeping the wood. We will try to salvage most of it. Perhaps DH will build a gazebo or something. Our next trip in Mid February. We will be doing a little painting & start on hardwood flooring. In the spring will will change out the 2 exterior doors. Since we are not planning to live full time in that house for more than a few years (5 max), thought would spray paint the exterior of the house. It has the base for stucco & looks awful.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Since there was so much snow we decided to burn the barn that had fallen. There a number of other old building that we will try to save or recycle the wood. Got a bit of painting done inside the house. When it becomes warmer, we will replace the exterior doors.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images