Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

2 lb. Coffee Can

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Does anyone have ideas on a craft using large coffee cans?
Thanks

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I have some drop lights (vintage) made from coffee cans that have glass tears and stuff applied to the outside. The creator/artist used those light kits from places like Pier 1 that you might use in a paper globe to light them. They are darling but then I like Funque!

Natural Bridge, VA

Using an acetelyn torch, you can burn out all kinds of patterns on the "wall". Then insert a candle or bulb and it will cast all kinds of patterns around.
toni

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I've seen luminaria tin-punched from coffee cans. You fill them with water, freeze, and then you can punch without the can bending. Put some sand in, add a candle and light. If you are careful, you can add a strip of colorful fabric around the top edge to make a bow. Very country. Add a piece of wire for a handle and you can hang them in the garden for lighting.

Ewing, NE

Daisy I sure would like to see a pic of your lights please. Thank you Linda

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Santa boots. Make boot out red felt, trim with white fur and lace up front with shoestring. Insert coffee can, fill with candy, etc.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank all of you. So creative. If you have crafts, please post them. About the cans, We get so many, I thought someone would have been smart enough to recycle them. I was right, Thanks to all.
Faye

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

All of the coffee around here comes in those plastic tubs now, coffee cans are hard to come by. Lucky You!

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

You can make a tin man birdfeeder or tin man wind chime.

Lavina

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I found this at a thrift store this summer. It has a lid and a fabric liner and holds packs of tea. It is cut too and could be used as a Chinese lantern.

Susan

Thumbnail by Raggedyann
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a birdhouse idea I saw. Since the can is metal I would hang it out of sunlight to avoid overheating and would drill small holes in the sides for ventilation. The "face" was formed of wood with a scroll saw and then stapled to the plastic lid the center of which had been cut out. The house can be opened at end of season for cleaning. The crafter who made this said it was occupied this past season.

Thumbnail by Yuska
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

cathy4
You have to buy a store brand to get real coffee cans .
Folgers Is what hubby wants and I have soooooo many of the plastic ones .. But I have started useing them for scrap glass storage.
Cheryl

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Walmart sells a brand called Master Chef. It's $3.82 for the 2 pound can, (blue tin can) instead of at least $6.99 for Folgers, etc. I like the coffee well enough to have given up on ol' what's his name. (It'll come to me as soon as I hit send.) I hate shopping at Walmart, so when I need coffee, I'll give my kid $25 to go get me some. She comes home with a half a dozen cans of coffee. That lasts me for quite a while. She gets to keep the change for gas money. It's a good deal for us all. :-)

Janet

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Wow! I'm impressed with all the projects! Will be making a few myself. Thanks for sharing the photos! Robin

Janet,
I buy both .. if I can get away with it };> I buy the cans ...
today at wally it was $5.5 at Krogers it was $3. something ..
yeppers you guessed it .
Cheryl

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Awesome ideas. Thank you all, now i have somethin g else to do. coffee Can something or nother. Love all the possibilities.

Faye

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

You can also used them to steam pudding.

This lady that I went to church with when I was younger, baked her famous 'Pumpkin Bread' in the cans too. I thought it was weird but it came out in a can shape instead of a loaf...

Susan

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

My gram and mother used to do it that way, some kind of apple pudding, and then sliced it with string. Yummo with home-made lemon sauce... drooling puddles. off topic, sorry!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Not really....the question WAS what can you do with coffee cans. :) And now I'm hungry...really hungry!

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Yup, I could go for some of that and a cup of coffee myself!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Did y'all save me any of the Pumpkin Bread? Good Golly that sounds good. My Mom's neighbor used to make a pumpkin roll with a cream cheese filling that was to die for. I've always wanted to try and duplicate it.

Mmmmmm I can taste that pumpkin now!

Janet

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

This time of year I have seen some adorable cans spray painted orange and the "cut out" face painted in black for jack o lanterns. Also saw a Frankenstein made of a can. Painted the face/can purple, black hair etc and added a metal wire for a pail.

You could paint them, use a bottle opener/can opener to punch a few holes along the bottom and plant in them outside. My SIL uses them to organize 'stuff" in. Cleaning supplies, clothes pins, if it will fit in a coffee can, she uses it!

I LOVE the cat bird house! I want a dozen of those!!!
Pat

dahtzu,
the best thing you could use them for right now is to hold all your smashed up BLUE glass bottles .... ;-)
Cheryl

Janet, a lady at my church makes those pumpkin rolls with the cream cheese filling. She brought one Sun. to our coffee hour and I resisted because I am on a diet! LOL I can get the recipe for you :) I have tasted hers and it is awesome. Sunday we are having a craft/bake sale and it's one of her top sellers .

Susan

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much for the offer Susan. I'd love that recipe. It's been many years since I tasted Juanita's Pumpkin Roll. She moved away 10-12 years ago. But I can still, to this day, recall how wonderful it was. I would love to add it to my Thanksgiving menu so my family would remember something of mine like that. :-)

I've not had a decent oven for 2 years. Can you imagine what it's been like to create a spread for your family's celebration with little appliances? This year, I've got the "grandaddy" of ovens to create my meal with, so I'm looking forward to baking up a storm.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

take 2 large coffee cans cut bottom off one and put it on top of the other duck tape it in the middle.
get material big enough to put around the 2 cans to cover up the tin.
We used old towels.
Take the plastic top and put on ,material and cut out a circle to cover top of plastic
Can put bows on side of this , flowers etc.

Hold 3 to 4 rolls of toilet paper, thus its hidden in something pretty any where you want to store it.

Lavina

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Cool idea, LavinaMae!

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I love making pumpkin rolls.. in fact getting ready to make some in the coming weeks. for the last 4-5 yrs we have gone by this recipe and the compliments that we have received is unbelievable. I love this site on getting many of my recipes.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Granny-Kats-Pumpkin-Roll/Detail.aspx

Char

Thanks for the recipe link .. Hubby loves Pumpkin rolls When he was still working a Man at his office use to bring them in for everyone. His wife made them .
Cheryl

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Great link Char. Thank you so much. I love the way you can enter how many servings you want and it re-calculates all of the ingredients for you. I've bookmarked that recipe and hope to make it for the holidays.

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

You guys are so very welcome...I thought it was a well known site and everyone had it...sorry.
Yeah i like the way it calculates everything for you to.

Char

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Major droolage going on here....

I tried to post a picture from Oriental trader of a scarecrow head using a coffee can... it is cute!!
http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=catalogProducts.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=15&sku=48/3227&prodCatId=377654&mode=Browsing&sp=true&Ntk=all&mr=PP_Fall_Crafts&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&N=377654&in_merch=1

I'm hoping the link works...

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

OMGarsh that is scarecrow is to cute.....I keep forgetting to tell my mom to keep those cans...and soon they wont be made outta can anymore, just those plastic jugs type things.....(smacks heads...remember remember remember)

Char

I love that scarecrow too and the crow that they show at the bottom of the page. Some of the teachers at my son's school order from Oriental trader so much that parents get a discount too.
Do you know how many cans I have thrown away? When baby formula came in a big can....kicking myself! LOL
Somewhere I saw a can painted lavendar with a handle used as an Easter basket....

Susan

The cutest painted can I ever saw was in a craft homemade gift shop couple of years back. They painted the can purple and made it into Frankenstein! It was soooooo cute!

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello all and thank you for all the great ideas. I'm going to save the coffee cans and as soon as I finish with the broken glass projects I'm doing, Just might tackle the cans.

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

I really wish i had a picture to show, I think the best crafty thing i ever made was , Santa candy tins out of coffee cans . With torn strips of white fabric glued around the top for his hair, and the same for his beard, with cute whimsical eyes and face.
Everyone just made a fuss over how cute they thought they were. I was so proud!
They really can hold quite a bit of homemade goodies in them too!

Crash, that's cute! I did something very like that to help a teacher. She was using little plastic cups but the idea was the same. She filled them with candy and gave them to the kids for gifts. YOURS was on a much bigger scale!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.