Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Needle Arts: Lopi Dog Sweater (knitted in the round)

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 34, Views: 240
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2007
11:19 PM

Post #4031677

Here's a photo of the Lopi "Voff" dog sweater that I knitted for my mom's senior chihauhau.
This sweater is knit in the traditional Icelandic style. A tube is knit for the body, two smaller tubes are knit for the sleeves, then they are joined together and the yoke is knit in the round. The decreases are incorporated into the yoke pattern. This little project is a good way to learn the traditional technique before committing to a larger project.

Thumbnail by garden_mermaid
Click the image for an enlarged view.

garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #4031679

Here's a view of the back side.

garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #4031681

Side view.

garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2007
11:29 PM

Post #4031701

and finally, here is the photo from the pattern book.

The original sweater was designed for a black and tan chihauhau. My mom's dog is a gray long haired chihauhau named Violet, so I changed the colour scheme to suit.

Violet is a rescue from a humane society crack down on a puppy mill operation. The poor thing had hardly any fur and only four teeth when my mom got her. She had been badly undernourished. The folks who had her complained that she kept reabsorbing her babies and didn't produce and saleable "product". Fortunately taht mill is out of business and Violet is now a pampered pooch who receives a very good diet. Her fur started fluffing out a few months after joining our family. Now she will be warm and fashionably dressed for her winter walks as well.

zameluzza
Alfred, ON
(Zone 4b)

October 1, 2007
4:44 PM

Post #4037010

Oh MY I love the sweater :) you did an amazing job,
I have to find a pattern to to knit sweaters for my 2 chihuahuas,
I just got another one last Monday.
I did knit a sweater for my toy poodle, now I have to knit for my 2 chihuahuas my 2 girls are 7 months and almost 8 weeks old,
Since Monday finnaly the 2 chi play together and my old poodle does not get bugged to much :)

garden-mermaid can I borrow your pattern please ;)
Carmen

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2007
6:29 PM

Post #4037356

The sweater is beautiful and a very lucky dog to have a good family to live with now.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2007
8:14 PM

Post #4037731

Carmen, you have D-Mail. :)
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2007
8:17 PM

Post #4037747

I LOVE the sweater and am so glad this little girl had a "happy ending" to her sad start in life.
zameluzza
Alfred, ON
(Zone 4b)

October 3, 2007
2:58 AM

Post #4043109

thanks garden-mermaid :)
do you have a picture of your moms chi? I would love to see Violet.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2007
6:29 AM

Post #4043488

all the current photos I have of her are fuzzy. Hopefully my mom will take a photo of her modeling her new sweater when it arrives!
zameluzza
Alfred, ON
(Zone 4b)

October 3, 2007
1:20 PM

Post #4044006

thanks, that would be great.
I have tried to take pictures of Samba the little puppy, but she never holds still ;)
I will try again to make pictures of all of them and post them in the pets forum.

Carmen
Trish
Jacksonville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #4046097

Tooooooo cute!!!! Both the dog and the sweater!

Great job!
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #4046205

Thanks! :)
Ladyborg
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2007
6:05 PM

Post #4111014

That is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!! I got into knitting last winter because I had shaved my Shih Tzus too closely and they were shivering :o].

Thumbnail by Ladyborg

REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2007
7:21 PM

Post #4122848

Ahhh so cute sweater and I did bought my little one sweater and a coat that is XXS and still little to big for her so hard to find XXXS she weight 3 lbs Chihuahua > she is 11 months old already so, I wish to learn like you made this so cute so, I am going to try sew some to make fit right for her. Thank for sharing with us pictue of it.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6345237

absolutely perfect pattern and color choice for that chi.

wonderful. :0)
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6345902

Very nicely done! Maybe I could make those for young lambs or goats born early in the season.
jmp24
Medford, NJ

May 5, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6507057

Oh my gosh, how sweet! I love the icelandic pattern! I have a chi as well, who came from a shelter in philadelphia, abandoned by his family because he was "mean" and "nasty" and not housebroken. Considering his very underweight status, I assume their way of training him was to not feed him. Glad to say he is plump and sweet and except for the occasional surprise he leaves for me on the kitchen floor when I go out, housebroken too. The family who dumped him had young kids, and that is the possible reason why he seemed nasty to them, chi's need more quiet envirnonments, loud noisy active homes can make them nervous, bring out their bad qualities - but most breeders don't care if the homes they sell to are appropriate for the breed - you got the money, you get the dog. Sad, because so many of them wind up in shelters or worse.

Sweaters are a necessity for the little dogs, and what you made is way nicer than what I see in the stores. Too many of them don't cover the dog's back to the tail, or they are too long in the belly area to be practical for males (eh hem they cover the dogs little wee wee)

You should make a dozen and find a doggy boutique to sell them for you! I'd buy one. Right now Oobi is wearing a cute chi size orange parka (complete with fur trimmed hood) that my aunt bought him, and it is cute, but not as cute as your sweater! Besides, I like to change his wardrobe around a little, and he has lighter sweaters and tshirts for when it is not too cold...like this time of year, he wears his gray "Bad to the Bone" muscle tee.

Also, not sure if you did this or not, but I like to walk Oobi with a harness collar, chi's necks are delicate and a regular leash/collar pulls on it too much, so to walk with a harness, sweaters need a little hole in the back, about 2 inches down from the neck.

PS - Ladyborg, yours is great too! Love the design on the back!
zameluzza
Alfred, ON
(Zone 4b)

June 8, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6658950

I so forgot to post pictures, here are 2 links
but one of the sweathers is to small now *LOL*
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL467/2930891/20555253/346567840.jpg

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL467/2930891/20555253/346567847.jpg
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6659232

So cute zameluzza! Your two pups seem to really enjoy their sweaters.

My mom managed to get a blurry photo of Violet wearing her sweater when it first arrived, but that may be the end of it. Vi hates her sweater. :(

My mom likes it, but we've concluded that Vi doesn't because she can detect the scent of my cats on the sweater. Vi doens't like my cats. They are bigger than she is for one, and she was very jealous of them when she came to visit. Vi is used to being the only lap animal in the room and is not willing to share that priviledge. LOL!

Mom washed the sweater with her shampoo and rinse to see if it would be more acceptable. Vi consents to having the sweater in her crate to nap on, but no way is she going to wear it.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6659651

Those pictures are soooo adorable! I love both of them! Our greyhound would love a sweater like that, but of course I don't know how to knit that well yet.
zameluzza
Alfred, ON
(Zone 4b)

June 8, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6660707

thanks :) these pups are 2 years old *LOL* well Chacha was 2 in March and Samba (the black one) will be 2 in August.

the first sweather I made I used just plain yarn acrilic and that thing turned out so stiff *LOL* I put it on Samba ans she just fell on to her side, she could not move in there *LOL* with the Lopi yarn they turned out real smooth :)

CMoxon, I can't knit to well either, just follow the pattern, it took me forever to finish these and they do have small mistakes in them.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6660780

CMoxon, these little dog sweaters are a great way to learn how to knit patterned yokes and sweaters knit in the round. The only difference in technique between the human and dog version of the sweater is the placement of the sleeves and the shorted front (or lengthened back, depending on how you want to look at it).

A chihauhau sized sweater can be finished quickly. It is easy to redo parts if you need to frog a few rows.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6661675

Maybe you will inspire me. This is the handspun yarn that I just made on my spinning wheel. It would make a nice sweater...I think. I can spin, I just don't know how to knit very well.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz

zameluzza
Alfred, ON
(Zone 4b)

June 9, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6661732

CMoxon,
OMG you spinn to :)
what wheel do you have? I have a Lendrum and an old canadian production wheel, I love my Lendrum, but have not had time lately to spin.
love the color of your yarn :)
I usualy don't knit much, my wrists don't agree with me :( but I try to anyways :)
but I make the occational socks or hats for my dd.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6661801

Thanks Zameluzza! I do spin and I have a small flock of sheep. Right now I am waiting for roving from the processor. I want to start doing my own natural dying with plants from my garden.

I have a Louet S15 wheel. Nothing too fancy but very functional! I would love a Lendrum or a Schacht. I love spinning and wish I had more time for it. This weekend about 15 miles from where I live is the Iowa Sheep and Wool festival. I'm really excited to attend - there will be spinning and weaving workshops as well as sheep flock management classes.

By the way, I see you are in Ontario. I lived in Guelph for 6 years before moving to Iowa. I'm originally from Halifax, NS.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz

zameluzza
Alfred, ON
(Zone 4b)

June 9, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6662989

Cmoxon :)
thanks for the picture :)
ahhh I have a flock to, what breed do you have? OMG sorry for all the questions *LOL*
my ram is a babydoll and the ewes are ??? one is Pollwarth 2 are Pollwarth/Babydoll crosses and the others are all ???
my ram is a mean bugger, he is OK from outside the pen, but don't ever go in there OMG he is dangerous, I got him from my friend she has a little boy and he is just to dangerous for someone with little kids.(adults to but we know better *LOL*)
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6663213

Zameluzza - I have 4 Icelandic ewes and 1 Icelandic ram, 1 Suffolk-Dorset Rambouillet cross ewe, and 2 sheep that I got from the Animal Rescue League (local shelter) that are unknown breed, but very large and white. Our shearer said possibly some Montedale, Cotswold, mixed with something else.

The ram is a feisty one and is quite aggressive with me, but not so aggressive with Kelly - maybe he respects men more? LOL?! We would like to get a different ram with a better attitude.

This year we had 8 Icelandic lambs (5 rams, 3 ewes, lost one ewe) and 1 lamb from the S-D-R cross which makes it a Suffolk-Dorset-Rambouillet-Icelandic cross! What a mouthful! I called her Cream Puff. You can see her on my blog, here:
http://chooksiniowa.blogspot.com/2009/06/kitkat-poppy-and-their-lambs.html

The Icelandic lambs are doing well and we will pick which ones we will keep/sell later this summer. We have 5 llamas and a couple of angora goats also (for fiber) plus a bunch of pygmy goats, some Nubians, 3 mini donkeys, chickens, ducks and geese, 5 angora rabbits, and a partridge in a pear tree. Well, not really on the partridge.

I would so love to have some babydoll sheep - they are sooooo cute!!! You should post pics of your flock in a thread on the Poultry & Livestock forum!
jmp24
Medford, NJ

June 10, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6668255

CMoxon, I bet your yarn is gorgeous. We have a local knitting store that sells all that hand spun yarn, and OMG do I just love going in there and looking at all the wonderful colors.

Garden Mermaid, so happy to hear that your mom took in a puppy mill dog. In spite of what many think, they make great pets most of the time, and even if they don't, they still deserve a loving home where they can live out their lives in a better way. I have two chi's, Oobi who came from a shelter, and Pep, who was just one of those dogs who bounced from owner to owner. I just got him a few weeks ago, I'll be owner number 4 and the last owner too. He is very underweight and needs some dental work and to be neutered, but he's a sweet little guy, not a mean or cranky bone in his little body, unlike alot of chi's. Tiny too, under 4lbs. I am hoping to get him up to between 5 and 6 lbs. When fall comes, going to need some sweaters...I'd love to get matching one's for "my boys".
What would you charge??

Here is Little Pepino, modestly modeling his brand new Phillies scarf...

Thumbnail by jmp24

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6668424

Oh my goodness, little Pepino looks like he needs some loving - I'm so glad he has found a forever home with you JMP! Precious little guy - he will look wonderful in a sweater! I have never had a little dog but they are so cute - they kind of remind me of our newborn lambs and goat kids.
jmp24
Medford, NJ

June 10, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6668764

yeah, he is the sweetest little peanut. When you talk to him his teeny tail just starts thumping away, but when you raise your hand to him to pet him or pick him up, he reflexively ducks, gets very timid. I don't think he was ever abused or hit, I just think it's the Teeny Tiny Little Doggie Complex. The big world is so overwhelming to them.

Don't worry about Little Pep, he will get lots and lots of lovin'!!

We have a farm near us that has lots of goats, and OMG the babies in the spring are just to die for! I could spend all day watching them!

I can't post Pep's pic without including Oobi, he's my number one! He came from the pound, his former owners gave him up because he was "nasty" and not housetrained, bites etc. He was also very underweight, and so sad and depressed for the first few weeks, that I got depressed too. But he is not mean, not nasty, he doesn't bite unless you do something to him that you shouldn't and even then, it is really just a snap warning. He wasn't really housetrained, but all that took was a little committed extra time on my part, and we are A-OK now. He's a bit bigger than Pep, and a great little guy!

Thumbnail by jmp24

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6669090

Oooohhhh he's so cute too! Oobi, that is such a cute name! I can't wait to see them in sweaters! They will be a handsome pair. I hope they get along well together.
jmp24
Medford, NJ

June 10, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6669756

He came with the name. I am assuming it is after that show on the kids network that consists of hand puppets...meaning REALLY just hands, with eyes and other details painted or stuck on them to make them into characters. The show is called "Oobi" and he is the main puppet. The whole think is kind a creepy to me, but I am sure the toddler set would disagree! I will say it does have a catchy little banjo theme song, titled "Oobi" of course.

Poor Pep's original name was - get this - "Little John Gotti" Now I don't want to speak ill of the dead, because that is what his first owner is, but that has got to go down in history as the dumbest name ever for a chihuahua. She must have been one of those weird mafia obsessed types, which we have more than a few of here in the northeast. They all take The Sopranos a wee bit too seriously. (only in America are crooks and murderers so completely idolized)

Anyway, the guy who took Pep after his first owner died changed his name to "Pepino" which I think he THOUGHT meant "pepper" in Spanish. He was wrong, I checked with someone I know who speaks Spanish, and it actually translates as "Cucumber" or "pickle". I thought about changing it, but he knows his name, and it is kinda cute, so Pep it will stay.

They do get along well. Very well. There was a little "who's the boss" stuff in the beginning, but dogs will be dogs and I let them work it out and they both seem happy, so what more can you ask for? The cat even loves them both. The parrot however is another story, but he hates everyone.
Ladyborg
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6733258

I love your dogs! God bless you for rescuing and adopting! I have an adopted Peanut myself, he was my first foster dog.
flowers_delight
Leicester, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #7004616

Hi Ladies, am getting ready to take a knitting class at the local community college and am excited to actually be able to make something besides a scarf. I know questions will pop up that I need experienced advice so nice to know others like knitting too. Maybe I too will be able to post a cute sweater or such in a few months. "Happy Knitting Yall"

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America