Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Clerodendrums and Brazilian Cloaks

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 69, Views: 431
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #4033520

At last, one of the last types of Clerodendrums in my collection is blooming, only have Shooting start to coax now.

Alongside are also a first, Brazilian Cloaks- they really stay blooming for quite a while! I am liking them.

Clerodendrum sahelangii

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #4033524

It rained this morning so all my efforts at keeping them standing are foiled.. Here is a couple of them sort of merging bloom stalks.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
3:58 PM

Post #4033526

Rather tall these fellas are!

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #4033531

So tall the sky is the back drop !

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #4033536

How about the Brazilian cloaks...I thought for sure these would have a name with flame in it!

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
4:01 PM

Post #4033541

These too, are tall...everything is tall...tall tall tall!

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #4033552

and a few of them posing, not to be out done by the Tequilla Sunrise Hibiscus posing off to the right.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #4033581

The Minahasse is blooming, and the Molle and Nutans are beginning to show buds.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #4033582

another

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
4:15 PM

Post #4033585

I think this is some sort of solanum...solandrum...something like that.

It's interesting, It seems that a wide variety of vines have more blooms when growing in a pot...

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
4:16 PM

Post #4033594

And a Bromeliad, or rather 3rd generation of one I bought at work. At the end of the month, the building sells the lobby plants for 3 bucks...oh yes...bromeliads for 3 bucks...orchids...needless to say I bring something with wheels on it to that sale!

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 30, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #4033768

Hey rj!!!! I really like that Clerodendron and don't have it. Want to trade something???? I have lots of Cleros.

We call that Brazilian Red Cloak...and it is wonderful. The more direct sun it gets, the shorter it grows!!! It blooms all year round here and our clump is getting shadier and shadier and taller and taller...it has to be 15' tall now!!!!

Carol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #4034494

I saw some pictures of it in S. America, and it does get rather large with alot of blooms.
The get a good shot of sunshine there, even more now that the sun is shifting.

I do have a smaller sahelangii you can have. It's blooming right now too.

I don't have
Lolly Bush, Smooth Clerodendrum

Clerodendrum floribundum
Natal Glorybower

Clerodendrum glabrum
West Indian Privet

Clerodendrum Macrosiphon although it looks like a musical note to me.

Wild Jasmine
Clerodendrum inerme

Chinese Glory Bower
Clerodendrum chinense

I don't have Molle, but I tell ya the Clerodendrum calamitosum which I have looks similar for the flower.. The leaves are distinct for the Clerodendrum calamitosum though.

I pretty much have the rest of them.

How have you been? Haven't talked to ya in a while.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #4035134

OH, rj...I had no idea there were so many!!!! I need them all!!!! I don't have the minihasse either! Guess I don't have a lot of them...lol.

I have succeeded in propagating a 'Blue Hibiscus'...it actually isn't a hibiscus but a mallow but a lovely blue!!!

I have been off traveling...then I go to NZ on the 24th for 2.5 weeks...should be fun. It has been raining so hard and so long EVERYthing needs pruning, feeding and love!!!

Will get you a list of what I DO have...if you covet stuff let me know and I will start them for you. Do you grow gardenias?

Take care...

Carol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2007
3:25 AM

Post #4035666

Okay you two! I have my one tiny Clero Glorybower that seem to have reached some sort of impasse. It started out great guns, but now has slowed its growth to near nothing, and no blooms at all. What am I doing wrong...it is the one plant that I dearly wanted when I got here, had it mailed from Logees in CT! I love clero's and you two are making me eat my heart out! Help!

I also need your permission for something...please see the thread "Need your Okay".
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2007
7:36 AM

Post #4035950

New zealand will be fun!
I'm sure you have stuff I've coveted~!
I do grow gardenias..
Blue hibiscus sounds fun...I love those rose mallows...I have ornamental cotton
white hibiscus..and sure enough it produced cotton balls for the seeds..
Hey shari, the glory bower...and since half of them seem to sport that name, I'm assuming you have a sunset, panticulatum..with the red spikes on top? That one seems to like a bit less water than the rest of the clerodendrum family. If conditions aren't right, It will shut down, and shed it's leaves. Looking like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree ( one scraggly stick) it will start up again. Mine did that 3 times the first year...I really thought it died, but a small voice told me to leave it be...Try mixing some hibiscus fertilzer in the soil.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2007
4:55 PM

Post #4037045

Wonderful. I have two blooms on the gardenia this morning. Lots of work to pamper one here.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2007 5:15 PM
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #4037889

The one I have is supposed to be "Bleeding Heart", but I can't be sure, since it has never bloomed. I will do as you suggest.

Carol - you just got back! Wow, NZ! I really want to get there! Take lots of pics for sharing!

My Gardenia is bloomless, I'm pouting...:-(
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #4038382

Shari...dump coffee grounds/tea bags/picklejuice on your gardenias... They are really acid loving and really enjoy the garbage I give them!!!! My grandmother used to put garlic cloves in the soil!!! But the coffee trick works like a charm!

I recently read that they LIKE a drop in temps in order to set blooms...so don't protect it too much...or put it inside with your AC for a while in the winter to give it the dip it wants!!!

Yep..NZ is next...in a mad rush right now catching up from the mainland and getting ready to take off again!!!!

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #4038719

Carol! It's hard to pin you down - New Zealand next! I just wonder who you will meet at the airport and which fruit you will be eating this time! LOL!
Have a wonderful trip - can't wait to hear all about it!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #4039123

BHMom...the world is full of friends I haven't met yet!!! You can bet i will be eating lots of Kiwi in NZ...and tangerines, grapefruit fresh off the tree. I go each year to visit a wonderful 84 year old friend we met when we lived there (Tauranga) on the boat...and I tell you that keeping up with Anna is a chore!! We have such a blast from miles of walking on the beach to raiding the OpShops (Consignment Shops) which are fabulous there!!!

Will get pictures galore. We are going to the Rhododendron Festival in New Plymouth. Neither of us has been to NP so it should be fun!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #4039129

Carol, are you going on your boat?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #4039324

To quote Kermit - "Its not easy being Green"...I am soooo jealous! Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #4041754

As we used to say..."nothing goes to weather like a 747...". Sold the boat in 2000 when we got back... NZ is one of my favorite places in this world...and Anna is a terrific woman...writes and publishes poetry, is a mean Scrabble player, great cook and she is so keen and active, it is wonderful being around her. We drink tea with cloth 'serviettes', have sit down breakfasts (instead of on the run or at the computer), see great movies...it is a stimulating time in my life. Now, with my art workshop behind me...I am going to journal the trip with paintings included...

Alas...gotta stay present right now, tho...too much to do here!!!!

TTFN
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
9:44 PM

Post #4041960

Let us know before you leave so we don't worry this time...
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2007
5:54 AM

Post #4043460

Hope you share your journal with us...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #4045683

Indeed! I'm looking forward to seeing all these paintings in person!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #4046104

I took a bunch of photos today, but this is the only one I got to the web before I had to bolt out the door for work..
I don't know what the name of this ginger is..in fact I had moved it from this location, only not quite thorough enough!

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2007
1:05 AM

Post #4046319

Wow that beautiful Randy! It looks like Elizabeth - a hardy ginger lily. Very pretty! Is it fragrant?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #4046570

mmm...ya know...I didn't smell it...
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2007
2:07 AM

Post #4046585

Yes, Shari...it does look like Elizabeth!

Thanks guys...it is neat to feel so important!!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4046605

Hey, when Carol speaks, we all listen!
Thanks for the i.d.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #4046830

You got it, Randy! Mine are just guesses - when she confirms my guess I walk on air for days = ♫ I got it, I got it ...Carol said, I got it♫
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
3:17 AM

Post #4046897

How are you making little notes?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #4046930

Character map. Start menu; All programs; Accessories; System Tools; Character Map.
Mine has lots of fonts, and the various fonts have special characters. I found it cuz I was trying to find a way to make the "degree" sign in recipes I was putting in to my "keepers" folder. Got tired of typing out "degrees" every time. Once you pull it up, it should show on your start menu without having to go through all the other stuff. ☺
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
5:33 AM

Post #4047118

That is so neat, thank you, Mam! ☺
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2007
5:55 AM

Post #4047141

Don't you know yet that I am 1/2 the sound of light and the other half BX>>>>??? LOL... I only pretend I know what I am talking about...hahahaha fooled YOU!

You know...I have a deep confession to make. (everyone down on their knees...cassocks on, candles lit??).

In the beginning this forum drove me nuts at times: I live with my linear husband who tells me constantly "for Gods' Sake Woman, stay on subject and stop jumping around"...so I have been training myself to stay 'on subject'. This forum has wonderful threads that start out talking about 'eggs' and ends up (?) discussing the educational wherewithalls of elephants! And...I love it. I can tune in any station and find a wonderful conversation, usually having little to do with the subject but equally as entertaining and informative.

You all (WE ALL) ROCK.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:04 AM

Post #4047193

Right!?
All of my threads end up like this, because..this is what happens when people get together, topics naturally shift around. If there is something very important, I have all of the data only stuff in my journals which I can link to people...so it's all fun..

I'm about to start a new thread with pictures from this summer...I didn't post too many this year.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #4048072

That'll be great! You have such a great garden! A true PARADISE! Can't wait to see them!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
3:46 PM

Post #4048101

Here's a preview
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/776961/
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #4048249

Here is the next stage in the Clerodendrum sahelangii bloom...boy these names..I can NEVER remember how to spell.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #4048251

Pict 2

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #4048255

closer up

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:26 PM

Post #4048260

about mid range.

It'll be interesting to the them open

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:29 PM

Post #4048265

It's a bit bright to get close ups..I should have done that this morning.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:33 PM

Post #4048287

another..kind of close up

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
5:13 PM

Post #4048449

Lovely! Totally amazing! Six years did you say? Did you ever think 10-15 years ago that you would be so into plants, and have such a gorgeous garden????

I can only hope mine becomes a tenth as beautiful as yours! You are so artistic! Just know where to put those plants! Everything just looks picture-esque! Breathtaking!

How ever do you water all of those plants?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #4048568

Thanks..I switch stuff around like I'm moving furniture around in the house.

I did not think I would be so into plants, but if I look back I can see that I always was, it was just that I was in a period of youth trapped in apartments that really were never "home". Once that happend the rest fell in place. As a kid growing up in Liberia W. Africa - we lived in a place called Yekepa, Nimba county and out the back door, was our backyard and then...Jungle, hills,...
When we moved from there to the big city of Monrovia, I actually created my first garden when I was in 9th grade and made a pond from an old sink...when we went to the church camp property ..I caught fish out the fresh water lagoon, ony separate by a beach..then the ocean...fabulous!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #4050041

Carol, you haven't fooled anyone! We know you know! And as for confessions, I was so afraid at first that no one would join in cuz we didn't have enough variety of topics...haha, can you imagine? Our topics may not always be the ones that the thread title refers to, but we sure do cover the whole gambit! Always so interesting! And now with Rj here, posting these glorious pics of the cleros just to make me cry!!!! We are getting more and more folks with lots to add to our "they said it wouldn't last" forum. Thank you all!!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #4050088

Definately informative! A true support group! When I decided to do tropicals my Mom thought I was cra-zy! I would mention a particular plant, and she'd say, "It won't grow here!" I have a habit of trying things that are rather unconventional, outside the box, so to speak. Tropicals are the best thing I ever did! She even admits it now! So when I found this forum I was glad to share about all of the tropicals being grown in unconventional places...I certainly wasn't alone...OK...maybe still crazy...but not alone! LOL
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #4050291

That's for sure.. I mean..I try growing coconuts!
The workshop I attended on Tropicals at the Mercer Arboretum told us this area changed 3 zones in the last 20 years, and are growing things here never thought of 30 years ago.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #4050302

Can't remember the source...several years ago was told that the humidity in Dallas was near that of Houston...and we had been so arid...the reason? Home swimming pools. So much evaporation...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #4050311

Now that is some interesting data...
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #4050323

Randy, want to share any other info from the workshop! Now that would be interesting!

Another arboretum in Houston...where?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #4050450

It was out by Humble, and I heard another one opened up..but have to track that one down
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2007
5:38 AM

Post #4050697

Lou...that is AWESOME data!!!! If 'some' people don't believe that humans are changing the climate of the world...let them know that.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #4051400

I don't know how to track the report. I think it was in the Dallas Morning News.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
3:11 AM

Post #4117044

Here is the latest Clerodendrum in bloom.
Clerodendrum calamitosum

Also coming soon is Wallichii - one of my favorites...should be opening any day

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #4117050

The pollinators love it!
This is the evening shift starting, Sphyinx moth or hummingbird moth.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #4117053

this little guy moves fast!

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 24, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #4117054

Your clero's are so beautiful Randy! I keep hoping mine will grow from sheer jealousy at my admiration of others!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #4117056

So how many photos did it take to get these 3?

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #4117067

Thanks Shari,
I have to say they really seem to do well in this zone.
The Wallichii I planted in the ground and has grown rather large! I'll be posting it in the next couple of days. They probaby have the grandest blooms of them all.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 15, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #4194112

Rj You have such beautiful plants.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #4197263

thanks.

Here is the latest in Clerodendrum blooms. it was funny yesterday, everytime Chistine asked "what is that cool plant?" I kept on say..oh that's another clerodendrum, because everyone is soooo extremely different than the other which is what I found very interesting, and prompted me to begin the collection. I have quite a few now, and really like most of them.

This is the Wallichii- Nutams ..one of my favorites and in my opinion the more exotic looking ones. I planted this in the ground, and it's becoming covered in long bracts of delicate looking flowers.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #4197265

another picture, with the pond reflection in the back ground

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2007
12:13 AM

Post #4197582

One thing I forgot to ask..where did you get them?

Christi
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #4198092

I got alot of the rarer ones at zone9tropicals.com
and some from Toptropical.com..or is it topstropicals..

I am shipping Carol a sahelangii, the ones in front that were turning red, it looks like those are going to be seeds, I will save some for you. Not sure how they will do in Dallas as they seem to be more tropical, and don't do too well in pots.

the minnahasse that was by the garage...is notoriously difficult to produce by cuttings, although I am trying at the moment.

I have the ugandense already propgated in a pot..that one is the one with the two toned looking butterflies that the bumblebees loved...darn I wish I could have loaded that up in your car yesterday.

The Wallichii the one I just posted up there a bit, is also been difficult from cuttings, but I will keep trying on that..and since it's in the ground this year I'll e interested in seeing if it produces seeds, and if it does..I will save you some seeds. I will see if I can nick a wallichii for you from Wayne, I saw a few over there and I will be helping him put up a cold frame green house in a couple of weeks, for which he rewards me greatly with plants...so I'll keep you in mind.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4198109

Makes my heart race.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2007
4:58 AM

Post #4198702

Oh RJ you are so clever with all that propagating stuff, good going!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America