Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Begonias: Harvesting begonia seeds

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 6, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
4:16 PM

Post #4033593

These are from my Lucerna begonia. They clung on forever and fell off a few days ago. Are these seed pods? If so what should I do with them now so that I can harvest the seeds??

Thumbnail by fancyflea
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #4034570

Yes, those are seed pods. They should've dried out on the plant so I'm not sure if they will be viable - they may be sterile. You can let them dry to a nice brown and see if the seeds will make it. The very few I have grown from harvested seed have always come from dry pods on the plant.

Check out these sites:

http://www.bradsbegoniaworld.com/seed.htm

http://swregion.tripod.com/program/growfromseed.htm

fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2007
11:52 PM

Post #4034907

Thanks hcmc. I would guess the plants need to be outside for the pod to develop. I'll just wait and see if these develop into good seeds.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2007
11:21 AM

Post #4036076

FancyFlea,

Here is a thread with some pictures of ripe (well, dried out) begonia pods and seed.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/693719/

fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2007
3:14 PM

Post #4036720

Boy the seeds are really tiny! Years ago I got some of the Begonian books at a church sale. They were from the 1950's and one of them had a packet of seeds in a tiny envelope tucked inside. For the life of me I can't find it but I know I did save it. I always had the intention of sowing them. Not even sure what kind they were or if they are good anymore. THe hunt will continue.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2007
5:26 PM

Post #4037127

If you are a member of the ABS you can buy seed of species from them at a modest price per packet. One of these days I would like to try my hand at it but for now I will be content with caring for all I've got.
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2007
10:11 PM

Post #4038126

I had been a member of the ABS about ten years ago and I quite enjoyed reading the Begonian. Too much moving around for the last ten years has kept me from ordering any mags. Just call me a Nomad(at least I am no mad). Next year I will be settling down for good and will order it again. I didn't realize you could buy seeds from them. A real plus. Thanks for the info.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America