Part 4...HOW TO - Make faux sea glass

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Carrying on from our last thread, page three:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/774511/

Lala_Jane said:

Quoting:
I need more control over the shape of my glass pieces. I know this is about as Glasswork 101 as it gets, but what's the scoop with the nippers I see you all refer to? How much control will it give me and how thick (or thin) of a piece will it cut? And I'm guessing I'd go to a craft store to purchase one?
Thanks oh mighty tumbling mentors!

This message was edited Sep 30, 2007 4:45 PM

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I am also in a quandry about what to use to get more uniform pieces. I've been looking online and have found a couple of bottle cutters (bottles are what I have most of at this point). Karen, you have mentioned a type of glass cutter...a roller or something. What exactly is this and where can I find one? Does this score the glass and then it needs to be snapped off?

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Celia,

In the picture below you will see various tools.
From the left, we have:
Wheeled tile cutters
Tile nippers / Tile nips
Running pliers (have rubber tips - for stained glass use only)
Breaker / Grozier Pliers (for stained glass use only)
Pistol grip oil cutter (stained glass)

While my wheeled tile cutters are just fine and cut well, if you want
the cream of the crop, go for Leponitt brand. Or, if you are a common Joe
such as myself, the local hobby shops have them. Again, watch for discounts
and coupons to save money.

For a better picture and description, here is a great site:

http://www.mosaicartsupply.com/cuttingmosaictile.htm

Careful. You could end up spending money hanging around us. ;-)

KM

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Olympia, WA

Just bought a glass cutter - but it doesn't look like yours .......did I get the wrong thing???

Thumbnail by wannadanc
Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Wanna,

What you bought is a standard stick type. Don't get me
wrong, they will work, I just prefer the pistol grip. Did you
intend to try this on the bottles? I can't say it won't work,
but it's not really the correct tool for what we are doing.

Please don't take this as raining on your parade, but
it would be my opinion that you need tile nippers or wheeled
cutters for this type of work. Unless, of course, you are cutting
flat sheets of glass.

:-( KM

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanx Karen. I will start looking for these tools.

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

ok Im really bummed now the extra belt I bought and had to put on this morning also broke this afternoon .. Im out of belts and ready to run over the tumbler ....
Cheryl

Olympia, WA

Wuvie - the cutter is a 6 wheel cutter - but it surely looks different from what you show. Hmmmmm

Mayfield, KY(Zone 7b)

Still lurking and tumbling here. I ordered two double barrel tumblers from HF a week or so ago. I got my glass smashed and ready to go when I plugged one of the tumblers in, it didn't work. It only hummed so I have to ship it back. But I have been tumbling a few things for 18 hours and checked the progress and was very pleased. I just don't know what in the heck I am going to do with this glass when it is done. Does anyone want to share some finished projects? That would be great.

Also I found these tumblers to be so quiet. I bought a "kids" version of one at Hobby Lobby and it was so loud compared to this one. I will take a picture of what I am tumbling when I am done in a few days.

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Cheryl,
Maybe you could try to repair the belts with super glue? I was talking to my father about the belt issue a week or so ago and he said he had some material that he made o-rings or gaskets from and he'd just cut it and glue it with super glue. He was going to make me extra belts but I haven't taken one over to show him the size, etc.
Worth a shot in a pinch, as they are broken now so what harm could it do and if it works then will keep you tumbling until a replacement arrives. How full do you have your barrel? Wondering if that makes a difference in the belt performance.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Wanna, huh? Six wheels? Whatcha lookin' at? LOL

Janet, the one from HobLob, was it gray or silver, kind of roundish,
like a spaceship? My sister in law bought that style, she dislikes it much.

Hmm. The belts. Seems these have been sitting around in the warehouse
a bit too long. I would hold HF to them, though they will likely pass it off as
user abuse. Truth be told, the rubber is the problem, not the user.

:-)

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

DH says that some of the belts for tumblers are just o-rings. If you have a good hardware store, you might be able to replace them that way.

Olympia, WA

Wuvie - the Fletcher glass cutter sez "6 wheel Glass Cutter" - which is why I bought it instead of the regular kind ...... you might need to enlarge the photo to see what I am talking about......

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Imapigeon is correct, the belts for the tumblers are just rubber O rings. Take the broken one to a hardware store and one of the people working there should be able to find the right size for you.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello all been reading all your posts and am excited, nervous and think I'm going to go broke buying tools. Wuvie, you are so good. thank you for taking the time to help us by answering all questions. Thank you too for postina a pic. of the tools. Hope none of this thread gets erased, I'm gonna need all of it. LOL
Faye

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow Janet, 18 hours!? I definitely need to find a different abrasive as I can hardly see any difference after a couple of days. Can I ask what you're using? I've just been using sand from the beach at my parents pond and it's obviously much too fine.

Mayfield, KY(Zone 7b)

Yes. That sounds like the one I bought from Hobby Lobby. I don't like mine either. WAY too loud.
I am just using regular sand right now.I got a bag from Lowes that is used for plant cover or something like that. I forgot exactly what the bag says but I bought it beside all the potting soil.

Brender, imapigeon & tetleytuna,
The belts I have are Sq cut (flat on all sides).. not like an O-ring or would that still be an o-ring?
and with 2 breaking in less then 24 hours Im Calling HF .. I may try the super glue to see If I can keep the tumbler going ...But my tumbler started out like janet930
Just hummed because the little fan couldn't spin it was to close to the side .. Thought I fixed that but it was still hitting and rubbed off the ends of the fan a bit had to move it a little more .. Guess I should have sent it back the first day ..
I did plug it in before filling tubs and it came on thought it was good to go ..I was wrong .. Waiting for West coast time so I can call HF .. we will see what they say ..
Thanks for the super glue Idea ..
Cheryl

Bender reread your post about super glue & O-Rings .. The is no stress on O-rings or gaskets
They just kind of lay there. So im thinking its not going to work ...

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Cheryl,
How frustrating! I haven't had the belt issue so I don't know how they work or where they go exactly. Just thought it must drive the motor somehow so if the barrel was too full it might be putting stress on the motor/belt mechanism. I hope the super glue works just to get you by until a replacement is found. Sounds like the tumbler needs to go back though. What a pain in the youknowwhatsit. Sorry you are having so much grief from it because I know how excited you were to get going with it :-( . The only problem I have had is that the barrel kind of works its way to the end of the frame and scrapes when it is tumbling but I shimmed it with a paint stirring stick and solved that problem. Hope you get going with it soon.

Brender
I only filled the barrels 1/2 way like they said ...
Doesn't your have the little white stops on both ends to keep the barrels from rubbing?

Well Just talked to They are going exchange the tumbler & send another belt but its going to be a couple+ of weeks so im back to waiting :-(
maybe I can find some blue glass by then ...:-)
Cheryl

This message was edited Oct 1, 2007 8:10 AM

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Don't feel bad, I had gotten two of the small HF tumblers while they were on sale and each time they only worked for a few days before the belt broke. Within a few weeks I had gone through all four belts. I did get some new ones from the HF store and these were square looking instead of round and have had no further problems.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Sounds like the square ones are "special"....bummer!!

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Cheryl, the only stop thing I have is a tab thing like on the back of picture frames but it eventually moves so the barrel is rubbing again. I am glad they are replacing your tumbler but wish you didn't have to wait. More time for glass hunting though!

Stopped at an "estate sale" this weekend. There was some really cool stuff there but all if it was filthy, I mean FILTHY! Plenty of colored glass to smash but there were no prices on most of the stuff. They did have a price on a set of 4 melmac dessert size bowls that has been used A LOT and they wanted $10. I guess they thought by calling the yard sale an "estate sale" they could ask $10 for melmac and $20 for a set of white pyrex casserole dishes with food baked on for $20 so didn't even ask about the pretty stuff! I can't even begin to describe the scene..
Went by a cottage on the island and all windows had at least one OLD blue bottle in them, which of course I wouldn't be able to smash. But I've been by there at least 1000 times and never noticed that until now that I am obssessed.... or maybe the sun was hitting it just right... yah, that's it...

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Ooh, and on the note of dirty dishes, that is the good thing
about smashing and tumbling. We have a vast supply of wine
and beer bottles for my whims, often sitting in the rain, gathering
cobwebs, etc.

For the kiln, I have to make certain they are spic and span clean,
but the glass facing a smash, not to worry.

:-) KM

Bender , yeppers thoses are the stops Im talking about .. Guess thats the only thing that worked on mine ....lol they did get a flat spot on them tho ... I might need a picture of your paint stick trick :-)

Karen, Talking about your kiln!!!!! Have you slumped any bottles yet? I just did a kiln full of crown bottles.
Opps better move to the other post ....Ill post new pics this afternoon...
Cheryl

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Well I've got a load in the tumbler now, a couple of Estee Lauder bottles- one cobalt blue, one kind of pink and a couple of Revlon and a Mary K. Wasn't quite a full load so I added some scrap art glass. I also went to the powerlines (where there is a lot of sand) to get some coarser sand and had to walk on a creepy trail from behind our house about a half mile through the woods by myself. I don't like going there because I always feel like I am being watched..anyway, my desire for the sand overrode my desire for personal safety! I had my trowel as a weapon and made it back okay, didn't even have to leave a trail of bread crumbs.

Cheryl, I have the tumbler on a cement floor and I just lifted one end of it and stuck a paint stick under it. I don't think the frame is level so that is why it goes to that one end. This keeps it back just enough so it doesn't scrape.

Bender ..I got a 40 LB bag of corse sand from Lowes for a couple of $$ much safer :-)
But ill walk in the woods any time .. I have 7 aussies to go with me

Thumbnail by denimangle
Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, my gawd, would you look at all those sweeties!

Cheryl, you've been holding out on us.

What fun you must have with them!

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Cheryl,
Those Aussies look like so much fun! They'd have fun racing on the trails. We have a Maine Coon cat but he is like the lion on the Wizard of Oz. I'm going for the bag of sand from Lowe's if this batch isn't quite right. I only got a sandwich ziploc full anway because it was accessible today and I didn't want to got to Lowe's and wrestle the bag - o - sand. Really, I'm probably quite safe on the trail.... just been watching too many shows on court tv....... Guess the cat gets it from me!
Took my lasagna pan tumblage to stained glass class tonight...oohs and ahs abounded.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, Brender, you must have stirred up a crop of gawkers for sure!

Today I found four large pink Tiara glass mugs in the shed. Guess
what will happen to them tomorrow? LOL

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm lets see... Hammer time!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Actually, I'm using the wheeled nippers on them. They are
long cups, like parfait cups, so I figured I could get some long
strips out of them, then use the nippers to cut them into cube shapes
before tumbling.

:-) KM

Yes they are fun .. I also have 4 - 8 week old pups left out of 8 ... 4 went to new homes last Sat ...

This message was edited Oct 1, 2007 8:01 PM

Olympia, WA

Wuvie - you asked me :Wanna, huh? Six wheels? Whatcha lookin' at? LOL

I responded: Wuvie - the Fletcher glass cutter sez "6 wheel Glass Cutter" - which is why I bought it instead of the regular kind ...... you might need to enlarge the photo to see what I am talking about......

I spent a lot of time at Home Depot today looking (without success) for something like what you showed. In fact, their cutters were not even wheeled.

Would like to know what to buy - or what is wrong w/ what I have - if you have time to answer.

Thanks

Vicki

Vicki,
You won't find the cutter Karen uses at Lowes or HD .. maybe Hobby Lobby .. but for sure at a stained glass shop ..
I use the Fletcher stright cutter . But have never seen a 6 wheel cutter . Where did you get it so I can just take a look next time im in Town
Cheryl

Olympia, WA

Hi Cheryl -

I got it at Ace Hardware ..........

It looks so much like a regular straight cutter ..... but it has a little wheel on there. I am totally coming from a knowledge base of "zero" - so I appreciate your answering the question. We don't have Hobby Lobby here - would Michael's or Joann's be apt to carry something like that??

Thanks again

Vicki

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

I have a 6-wheel cutter. You just rotate the head when one of the wheels gets dull. I usually use a Fletcher (one head) like Cheryl, that's my preferred. They don't have them at Lowe's or HD. Do you have a mom&pop type hardware store nearby? That's where I get mine or at the stained glass store - about$4.50 That would be your best bet to find a one-head cutter. The pistol grip one like Wuvie has is a stained glass store item, like Cheryl said, and is more $$. The Fletcher (single head) I have has a thumb rest and a ball on the end of the handle to tap the glass after you score to aid in the snapping/breaking of the score. I don't see why you can't use the one you have. Do you have a stained glass shop nearby? They should be more than happy to show you how to cut but here are a couple of links that might help you with steps to cutting glass. You can google on images and videos and find something that might help, too.

http://www.warner-criv.com/techtips/cutting.aspx

http://art-of-stained-glass.com/1howtocutglass1.html

Olympia, WA

Thanks for all the great help!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel better now and empowered with a better sense of this obsession!!!!!!!!

When they speak of storing cutter in a jar w/ lubricant - have you any particular suggestion for the specific lubricant???

grins

Vicki

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

You're welcome. I am naughty and don't store my cutter in lubricant :-/ thinking maybe I should though. What I use to cut is 3-in-1 oil and that would also be good to store the cutter. The 3-in-1 is about $2 a bottle at any hardware store. It is a white and red plastic "can" (used to be metal). Might find it in the hardware section of the grocery store. I have gotten some there recently. They do have it at Lowe's or HD. Cheryl and Wuvie, what do you use?

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello all,

Vicki, I hope I didn't confuse you. I was worried that you might
be trying to use a straight stained glass cutter on bottles. Is that
what you are after, is something to cut the bottles with?

KM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images