AuthorContent
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2007
11:18 AM

Post #4036066

Hey everyone! wish i could report that my abscense here was justified by some dives but not the case...working around here trying to catch up with all the yard work that has been postponed due to my injuries...almost caught up so the water will be in the plans over the next week or so...Shari wanted me to start the next uw garden thread...not sure why...most of these uw threads get crashed in no time but that's ok...

Puffer fish...bone crushing strength in them jaws!!!

Thumbnail by caribblue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2007
11:29 AM

Post #4036092

wow..the background is pretty cool.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2007
11:29 AM

Post #4036094

Beautiful photo John. Love all of those colors that you've captured. His eyes are huge! What is the red that I can see on the right side of the photo? Looks like underwater flower bouquet.

Thanks for starting up number 6. I really do enjoy these threads and get excited when I see new posts made to them, hoping there will be eye candy to look at.

Janet
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2007
3:54 PM

Post #4036851

:)
Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #4037020

Its hard to start my day now, without a trip to the UW world, Thanks so much!
Cath
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #4038006

Okay! Pufferfish it is! I love the composition of your pic John, so many cool corals! And a great shot of his face! Here is a Bluespotted Pufferfish - this guy is about 2 1/2 to 3 ft. long...they get really big!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #4038170

Looks like a watercolor painting...where the colors grade into each other.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2007
10:51 PM

Post #4038269

His coloring is beautiful Shari. I don't think I'd want to meet him face to face though. Those teeth look very wicked!

Janet

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2007
11:40 PM

Post #4038415

Hi everyone ...I normally only peek but I had to pop in (while thread is short) and say ...I just could not resist that first picture...just perfect ...and what a little character!

I also wanted to say that I hope your world is getting back to the way you like it and that your injuries heal up pronto...(((hug )))
chrissy :)
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #4038427

Oh John, that picture is fabulous! The colors are so vibrant! Wow! Very Nice!

Shari, your's is very nice too! Love this thread!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #4038733

John, your first pic reminds me of a painting.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #4038736

Beautiful corals John!
Shari - three feet! The small ones we have here un-nerve me because they come right up in your face and stare you down, wouldn't like to think what a three footer might do!
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #4038928

John that is an amazing shot! Thank you for letting us see it.
Shari, I had no idea that they could get that big. I have actuall seen teeny ones in the wal-mart fish department here. Cannot fathom how anything that small could get that big.

Crushing teeth you say?? I guess I had better rethink getting the cute little pufferfish as a buddy to share quarters with the goldfish then...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #4039357

Well, the cute ones in the wal-mart may be fresh water, and I have no idea of their size. Yeah, you don't want to mess too closely with these guys - those jaws are strong and the teeth are sharp. Here is a white spot...a little smaller than the Blue - you can see another small fish down on the left for size comparison:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2007
3:53 AM

Post #4039383

WOW that's a great shot! Sure wouldn't want to mess with it!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
3:59 AM

Post #4039395

Yeah, I always laugh when people talk about "cute little pufferfish"...They can be cute - but when you know the touchy personality behind it, you don't quite mush up so much.
Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2007
4:33 AM

Post #4039468

Great photo Shari, looks like he's glowing...I had no idea that they were that mean! They look so cute. Make sure I don't try and pet one next time I am down under...
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 2, 2007
4:59 AM

Post #4039513

Ooooh, love that blue! Oh, and the fish is great, too! lol
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
10:05 AM

Post #4039689

We have a dive site on the West side called "Killer Puffer" a few years ago, someone decided to fool with a puffer to try to get him to swell up...well, the fish was not in the mood and now the diver is missing his poking finger!! they all decided to name the site after it bit his finger clean off!

j
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
10:06 AM

Post #4039690

This is a burrfish, smaller than a puffer but inhabit the same areas ...

j

Thumbnail by caribblue

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 2, 2007
12:41 PM

Post #4039981

Hi, everyone. I haven't been around that much these days. I have been cramming all weekend for my real estate sales associate license. I am currently busy studying 12 hours/day because my test is tomorrow afternoon. Still, old habits die hard so here I am, stealing time from my studies to sah Hi.

At the end of the previous thread, you mentionned that it didn't matter that they are absolutely horrid and nowhere near as nice as yours. I'll take Braveheartsmom's suggestion and blame the disposable underwater camera. I have proved my skills on land. The camera takes it all away underwater. Thanks Braveheartsmom! So here is a picture of a parrotfish I photographed at Trunk Bay, on St.John, USVI.

As my pakistani friend would say: Please, not to laugh!
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 2, 2007
1:02 PM

Post #4040037

Slop bucket alert here. You have been warned. Here is a picture of another parrotfish at DePalm Island, Aruba. Along with him were hundreds of brown surgeonfish. There were so many fish on that reef, you litterally had to shoo the fish away to see the water.

The place was also infested with fire coral and wouldn't you know it, I managed to brush against one, causing a very painful burn. Luckily, the tour staff had some kind of cream on hand. They applied it to my left forearm, I waited 5 minutes and ran back to the water. Important lesson learned here: fire coral does not forgive. They are not alone: quite a few marine invertebrates have stinging cells that go off at the slightest touch.

I remember being horrified a few years ago when a lifeguard on Holland America's private island in the Bahamas (Half Moon Cay) demonstrated how to remove a species of jellyfish they have there without getting stung. You were supposed to throw it away in garbage cans they had all along the water's edge. I saw them in the water and gave them a wide berth. No picking up jellyfish for this polar bear! There was enough water for all of us. I had gotten stung on the right shoulder by a baby portuguese man of war in Martinique the year before. The eskimos say: bitten by a snake, one fears a garden hose in the grass.

Be good, all. I don't want to hear any snickering. I told you my pictures weren't calendar material.
Sylvain.

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #4040074

thanks for sharing them Sylvain...those post parrotfish are commonly known as stoplight parrotfish because of the vertical dots in their tail section, resembling a stop light...

j
Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #4040386

John,
I just have to ask...why is it called a burrfish? Sounds like something from Canada...
Great shots, all, keep them coming!
Cheers
C
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2007
2:35 PM

Post #4040395

Poor little burrfish...looks like he's been hit all over by an ugly stick.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #4040430

Oh Wow Sylvain, Your parrotfish is beautiful. The colors are amazing!

John, I keep waiting for your little burrfish to smile. What a cutie pie!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 2, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #4040764

Burrfish are spiney puffers. When threatened, the fish swallows water and puffs up like a balloon. In the process, the spines become erect. The fish is saying: eat me if you wish but it's going to be a painful morsel. With the spines sticking out, it ressembles a burr.

Someone was talking about puffers at Wal-Mart before. Yes, Wal-Mart has puffers but they won't live long in an aquarium because they are brackish water fish, inhabiting regions in the wild where fresh water mixes with saltwater, such as the mouths of rivers. Unless you own an established brackish water aquarium, leave them alone. The problem with Wal-Mart's fish is they keep them in freshwater only. Soon, the fish deteriorate and die. WM should be keel-hauled twice and beaten with a 2X4 for that. Don't get me started on mistreated aquarium fish.

Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2007
4:02 PM

Post #4040779

Or anything WM...bad news. Practice my own useless boycott.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 2, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #4040815

I wouldn't say that, LouC. WM offers generic prescriptions for $4 a pop when the same prescription may be purchased everywhere else for many times that price. They are putting all other pharmacies to shame.

There is an old pharmacy joke where a man runs into a pharmacy with a prescription for his very sick wife. The pharmacist fills the script and demands $200. The man is broke so he pulls a gun. With his other hand, he pulls $5 from his pocket and puts it on the counter before running away with the medication. The pharmacist declares: $3 profit is better than nothing, I guess.

That $4 program is helping a lot of sick people save big bucks and take their medication on a regular basis instead of thinking them when they can afford them.

Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #4040827

Well, I can see your point. However, in my community the independents, CVS and Walgreens are matching prices.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 2, 2007
5:21 PM

Post #4040980

Costco has started something similar for those without prescription plans.

Sylvain, I enjoyed your pictures - nothing to be ashamed about!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 2, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #4041568

Kaperc, you are too kind. Thank you. I log less than 10 hours snorkelling every year, accumulated as I go on excursions in ports of call when we go on cruises. Nevertheless, a rainy day on a snorkeling excursion is worth at least 5 days at the office.

I'll scrounge around for more pictures.

Sylvain.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
11:10 PM

Post #4042246

Sylvain, I think your pictures are easily as good as the ones I post. Occasionally I get a really good one, but none of us can match John's artistic masterpieces, so I don't even try. I just share what I have, and hope people enjoy them. Which is what you shoud do - your parrotfish are great!

John, I just adore that burrfish! He's so homely he's adorable! Now, where do the boxfish fit into this "expanding" scenario.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
11:25 PM

Post #4042274

find them under "Odd shaped swimmers" like trunkfish...all of them...not known for their blazing speed across open ocean, but markings and shapes that make them beautiful in their own right...

an old image...shot on film years ago...could not fit the entire fish in the framer...sorry...

spotted trunkfish...

Thumbnail by caribblue

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #4042305

John, have you seen that they have started the photo contest? I can hardly wait to see your entries!!!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #4042323

no, haven't seen that...dont venture from this thread...

here is a pufferfish that doesn't fit the stereotype of the rest...A sharpnosed pufferfish...swims around in small areas and tries to blend in when approached...sort of sticks out though...needs to take lessons from the frogfish and seahorse i think...

j

Thumbnail by caribblue

tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2007
12:24 AM

Post #4042535

Not to worry, I would never bother to get any fishies that I actually wanted to stay alive at wally world. If you purchase a something thinking to "rescue it" that just serves as incentive for the seller to keep doing what they are doing. They made the profit and do not care about anything else.

Wow, puffers sure have an attitude! I guess the fingerless one finally learned a hard lesson. One that is good to remember when dealing with any creature of a different species.

I love your pics Sylvain, the second one brings to mind a las vegas star wearing their sparklies and the backup dancers behind them. Thank you for sharing with us!
Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2007
12:24 AM

Post #4042536

Wow, just incredible!
These pufferfish are great! I thought there was only one type...see what you learn on a gardening website!

I was checking out an old thread of your group, and saw a spectacular shot of the singrays at singray city, the best I have ever seen. You really do very nice work John!
jimmyk79
Allentown, PA

October 3, 2007
12:33 AM

Post #4042578

Nice Photo's john
Where did you shoot the small puffer fish? What is it's normal size? I can't recall seeing one like this.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2007

Post #4042688

Thanks for the praise kids! The stingrays are plentiful here and if you get out early, you can normally manage a keeper shot or 4...the sharpnose was taken right down the street from where we live, on a night dive, as usual, about 3 inches long, can usually find numerous ones to pose...glad to see so many new friends joining us here now...feel free to tell all your friends,,,this thread is world wide and we can all find a friend to pick us up at any airport in the world...well, almost...trying to decide on shots to enter for the contest...i have a shot sheet already worked up...just need to get in the water and git er dun!

j
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #4043028

That would be wonderful. Have already voted on the site that I don't do photos but I sure do buy calendars...try as I may I can't explain to my friends my fascination with DG and the underwater forum...maybe that would help them see for themselves. Just in case Shari hasn't given you the forum j, you can find it under Dave's Garden. It's getting steamed up for print before Christmas so it can be sold for gifts. That would be just great!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2007
3:31 AM

Post #4043201

Good job, Christi - dork that I am, I forgot to tell him! D'oh!!! They are closing the entries on November 1st I think, so be sure and get your's in John! Your little sharpnose is so cute! Looks like he's sitting on an octopus! Here's a black spotted puffer - also a little guy...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2007
1:25 PM

Post #4044031

Dave has posted a notice on the home page now about the calendar.

Are all of these smaller puffers just as dangerous as the big guys?
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 3, 2007
4:04 PM

Post #4044539

Can't get over the eyes on those fish. This from the kid that was called "Eddie Cantor" in school. Younger readers - never mind.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #4044860

OK, I'm not so young, but I didn't know who Eddie Cantor was so I googled him. I've seen him in movies but didn't know his name.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #4045210

How I love ya, How I love ya, my dear old momma...I want the world to see...how much you mean to me...wowowowow..How I love ya...

Early, early, early days of tv...transferred from follies and broadway...first talkie movies...now I'M NOT THAT OLD, either. On Ed Sullivan sometimes and the Ethel Merman Show I think.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #4045795

Christi - ♫There's No business, like SHOW business♫ . So many people don't know Ethel Merman these days, but few could belt it out like she did! Ahh yes, Eddie Cantor...I remember him best from those cartoons that did the charicatures of all the stars,,,I think they were on the Bugs Bunny show...I loved them! Always tried to race my dad with id -ing the different folks. And here we are OT again! ha Ha Ha !

The little puffers naturally can't do as much damage as the big guys, but for the most part they have a similar personality "Don't call me CUTE - I HATE that!"

I found this one after looking at Sylvain's parrotfish - I wanted to post it because the one on the far right shows exactly why they are called parrotfish - doesn't that head look exactly like a parrot?

Thumbnail by Islandshari

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #4045920

eat coral...poop sand...eat coral...poop sand...you folks that believe that the pristene white sand that you walk hand in hand in came from another source...sorry...parrot fish, among others, spend their lives providing that gorgeous white sand on the beaches in the Caribbean and other parts of the world...on dives they remind me of the airplanes used to fight fires with...cruising along the top of the reef and opening the bay doors to extinguish that backscatter free image ready to post on Daves...that's what all the little dots in certain images are...grains of sand(poop) that strobe light reflects off of...reflecting back to the film plane...not sure where i'm going with this so i'll cork it...just a little info on the feeding habits of parrotfish...they have beaks like that to tear chunks of coral off and eat...don't wake a sleeping parrotfish...if you do, the first they do is dart off along the bottom of the reef and smash into the first thing in the way, their front teeth get broken and then they cant tear off food, hence, curtains for them within 2 weeks...gotta go...sorry for the rambling...just so much to say about these fish...more later if anyone cares...

j
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #4045984

Fascinating info! I didn't know about the broken teeth! But sure do agree with you about the "specks"...we were out snorkeling a week or so ago , and they were out in force! It was actually funny - and its so hard to laugh with gear in your mouth! At times it looked like they were letting the curtain down on a bad stage act!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #4045988

No problem John...very interesting! Always fun to know how something has come about into existance!

This message was edited Oct 3, 2007 5:27 PM
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 3, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #4046059

John, I love bits of info like that. OW, poor teeth. Yes, Shari, the very front looks like a parrot - I checked! :-)
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #4046301

Great stuff as always! So the beautiful white sands they talk about on all of the expensive resort commercials are really the result of fish poop?? TOOO Funny.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4046348

Tis a shame ours doesn't. Then when people would say, "Oh, s*#t", it would have a totally different meaning!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #4046405

LOL! Indeed!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #4046442

Of COURSE WE CARE. (sorry, only way I know to emphasize) This is better than any college class or lecture in the world. Since this started I personally have learned something new everyday and that is important to a happy life, in my opinion. We are now waiting for the next page on the diet of a Parrot Fish. Knock,knock,knock. Class, attention now. Mr. John is going to help us learn in his inimitable way.

Mr. John...we are ready...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #4046490

Okay, we are sitting quietly now...sorry for talking during study hall. Uh, excuse me Mr. F - could we have some more please????
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #4046511

I'm getting sleepy and that is not allowed in class.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #4046522

...More research please...(anybody seen the commercial?) Oops, I was always bad about talking in class! Shhhhh...sorry...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #4046591

LOL..yes..I've seen it...
okay..I'm quiet now...LAUGH! ssshhhh

Okay back to DGTV underwatergardens and ill tempered, but cute snapping puffer fish.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #4046639

shshshsh Randy, we're waiting for John...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2007
2:20 AM

Post #4046651

He's been working very hard this week and the hand is still not 100%...maybe he has signed off. I'm about to myself...goodnight, Mrs. Calabash
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #4046666

Does the 10 min rule apply to this class...see y'all later...when Teach comes back!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #4046795

what commercial?? I hate it when you talk about things of which I know nothing! I don't get commercials!!! Okay, I'm pouting now...no teacher, and the rest of the class is leaving me out! :-(
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #4046839

Shari, there's a commercial here, I think it's Juicy Juice...the advertizing company needs to present the product to the panel for an evaluation...so this company rep hands over the bottle. In another room are kids, and one child holds out their glass and says, "More research, please!"

The kids were the testers...and it passed!

Randy I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, telling you to hush! I sorry! Please forgive me! We love you too!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2007
3:01 AM

Post #4046856

Oh...got it. I was paraphrasing Oliver Twist, and you guys bring up commercials!
"Ya jest ain't got no cultcha"! Ha Ha Somebody pull down the shades, I think LouC is out for the count.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
3:19 AM

Post #4046903

LOL...I'm sorry but I was standing in the corner...! I refused the dunce hat though,..
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
3:28 AM

Post #4046931

Randy, Oh, poor baby, no dunce hat for you sweetie! You can talk any time you want!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #4046940

Okay Jeanne - 100 times on the blackboard "I will not tease my fellow students" I think I'm not going to use my "I refuse to have a battle of wits with unarmed opponents" line...I'll save that for some other time. Randy, you can come out of time out now, I think this class is dismissed until our professor comes back. (Maybe he's diving!!!)
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
3:58 AM

Post #4046985

Yes Mam, (hand up, begging to ask a question...) But I don't have a blackboard!

I promise not to tease Randy. I promise not to tease Randy.

Can I stop now? Randy, I'm sorry. I'll be good.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2007
11:12 AM

Post #4047352

LOL!! I go to bed and you all have too much fun.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #4047958

Hi.

Here's a picture of my friend Denis at DePalm Island, Aruba. Notice how he holds his hands hidden because the little sargeant-majors somehow found him very palatable. They don't bite, it's more like a gentle peck but he hated the idea. This comes from a kid that was raised on a farm and pushed 1500-pound bulls around when he needed them to be somewhere else. He's so funny. They didn't peck me but they found my mask very interesting. I had to push them out of the way. I don't know about you but sargeant-majors are like the dandelion of the sea to me. They're everywhere!

Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2007
3:09 PM

Post #4047962

And here's one of a stingray at Stingray City in the Cayman Islands.

Sylvain.

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
3:35 PM

Post #4048051

Great pictures! Thanks!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2007
4:57 PM

Post #4048382

Thanks for sharing Sylvain, however, Sargeant Majors do bite. True story. I was enjoying a cool beverage with some friends and there was a man snorkeling by himself. This area is frequented by hundreds of cruise ship passengers as it is relatively shallow and lots of reef fish, including the majors...many people take fish food with them to keep the fish close...

Not sure if you know what skin tags are, little fleshy bits that grow on skin...well, this guy's back had many of these skin tags, closely resembling the fish food. The sargeant majors bit everyone of them off this poor man. he was screaming and fighting to escape. We jumped in to assist as it started to become a rescue situation. We took him to hospital for treatment and he healed up. Needless to say, his snorkeling adventure was over for a long time...i am not an advocate of feeding fish, they seem to find food without our assistance just fine...these little fish are so used to being fed that they will attack anything that resembles their food, more like pirhannas than cute little striped fish...

just my opinion, but i know of one person that agrees with me...not sure if the skin tags ever grew back...nor if the guy ever got back in the water again...

john
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #4048406

That would be terrifying! Good to see you John! You always have such interesting stories. Love to hear of your experiences and see your pictures! Really brightens my day! Hope you are doing OK!
Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2007
5:16 PM

Post #4048463

John,
Your story reminds me of singray city. Went snorkling there with a tour group, and they of course want you to feed the rays, hold the squid etc. I am with you, it just does not seem very natural and only encourages un natural behavior. I am probably programmed this way because of our bears in Canada...

Anyways, needless to say, I was the only one without food, so one of the rays decides that a mark on my leg looked like something it might want to nibble, so attached itself to me, bit startling as I was not watching or expecting it.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2007
5:20 PM

Post #4048481

We are going to the Gulf last week of October. I never go any deeper than 6 inches. Last two times we have been there the stingray and jellies have been everywhere. I wear my Crocs and look down a lot.
Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2007
5:48 PM

Post #4048556

Sounds like a good plan, wearing crocs, in the Gulf of Mexico. I see lots of jellies in the harbour, but no rays around MS anyways. The only thing I do here, "in" the water is sail, our water is pretty shallow as we are surrounded by the barrier islands.
Have seen some gators in the harbour, which is always good fun!

The other thing to do is dive around the drilling rigs, am told the hammer head sharks are plentiful. Still want to come to Texas and dive in the "gardens".
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #4048726

We stay on Mustang Island which is a barrier island. First time we went was right after Rita and things were just a mess.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #4049991

Hi gang! Thanks for posting those pics Sylvain! We have about 6 varieties of Sergeants out here, and wouldn't ya know it, I can't find a pic. They can be pretty aggresive when you are invading their territory out here as well - but I haven't heard of anyone getting a massive attack like the one John described. That would certainly discourage me, I'm sure! I think I have posted this one before, but since we were talking about odd shaped fish above, I thought I'd show this one...a Unicornfish. There are several types, but this is one of the ones that really earns his name!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #4050114

That is a great shot! Very interesting! ☺☺

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 5, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #4050165

Carriblue, the sargent major attack you describe had nothing to do with what happened to Denis. He pointed to one of the fishies while I was taking a few pictures of him surrounded by this cloud of fish. One of them nibbled a bit, nothing more. No skin punctured, just a bad surprise and a bruised ego. Back on the ship, we laughed our heads off. Your story is very interesting, though. Who knew sargeant-majors bit? Come to think of it, anything with a mouth CAN bite.

I'll try to locate other pictures. Thank Him above fro Photoshop. Man, I enjoy this thread!

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #4050230

Don't we all?

Louc
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #4064612

We can't be letting this thread drop off now. John, Shari, Sylvain????? Where are you guys??? I've missed seeing this thread pop up on my favorites. John, you been diving lately???

This is my contribution to the underwater gardens. Someone to look over the beautiful plants and animals. Connie and I created this mermaid for our own Cath (Gardnerkett). To read more about how she was created and see more photos of her, you can follow this link. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/778304/

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 9, 2007
10:43 PM

Post #4066151

Janet the mermaid is fantastic! Cath you are so lucky to get her!!! Color me green!
I don't want this odyssey to end either, but John doesn't seem to want to post much, and I don't feel qualified to keep it going by myself. Sylvain, maybe you can add some more pics? So anyway, here is a beautiful soft coral that JB saw just a couple of days ago...I really like these.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #4066282

Thank you Shari. We are very proud of her.

Your soft coral is beautiful. Is that the same kind of coral that is used to make jewelry with?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #4066315

Thanks for the coral, Shari. And Janet, the mermaid is beautiful. You and your sister are so talented and to be that close to each other is a double blessing. We won't let this thread die...just won't!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #4066500

Janet, I absolutely LOVE your work!!! The mermaid is awesome!!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #4066552

Me too, and I get to see Janets presence everyday!
thanks again...love my lizard

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2007
12:34 AM

Post #4066559

I have to keep telling myself that I have no place for one of her peices otherwise I would have a bunch of them. lol.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #4066566

I'm getting jealous. However, I promised her a yellow ice plant and still have not produced.
You don't want to know why. I still remember.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 10, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #4066578

Here is a picture of a school of unidentified fish in Aruba.

Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 10, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #4066583

And, scraping the bottom of the barrel, here are a couple blue surgeons, also in Aruba.

Sylvain.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #4066704

Connie and I both appreciate your kind words about our mermaid. We were both very pleased with the way she turned out. We took her to the Treasure House today to show her off. All of the ladies there just loved her. They love seeing our work. They always ask us if we used anything that came from there. One time, the head lady even said, "Tell us you did, even if you didn't." It makes them happy. :-)

Randy said ...
Quoting:Me too, and I get to see Janets presence everyday!
thanks again...love my lizard

Randy ... as much as I'd like to, I cannot take credit for that topiary lizard. It was CONNIE that made your beautiful lizard. I said something last night in your TOUR thread and posted a photo to remind you who was who. Here is the photo ... again... HAHAHAHA

Would you like us to send you some hens and chicks to plant in it??? Both of us have more than enough to share some.

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #4066726

Christy, I had forgotten all about the yellow ice plant. My memory ain't what it used to be. It might be better to wait until spring to send it anyway. It'll be time to "put my plants away" before I know it. I'd hate to take a chance on losing it before I really get to enjoy it. I've had my pink ice plant for several years now. It goes crazy around here. I can't even remember where I got it originally. I sure have enjoyed it though. Those little flowers really make me smile when it's blooming. And I love the softness of the leaves.

Sylvain, your fish are very pretty. The water is so clear in Aruba. I would love to be able to dive. I can't stand to have water in my ears though, so I doubt I will ever get the opportunity to first hand see the beauty you all do. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us.

Pepper, our sculptures don't take up much real estate. :-)

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #4066735

That's right...so sorry...
I remember after the 100th time I just started using Jonnie in hopes that merging the names would make it better...
Connie - Lizard
Who made the cute wasp trap then?

I heard Aruba was great for underwater adventures..nice pics.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #4066756

Connie made that one also. She's quite clever. Usually it's been me that does most of the beading on our sculptures. Connie does most of the cutting and ALL of the torching. I think your wasp trap was one of the first ones that were made. I was very impressed with her beading ability. Now, we can share that part of our creations. :-)
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
1:32 AM

Post #4066779

You both are wonderfuly charming!
My friends have been asking when your next visit might be!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
1:36 AM

Post #4066807

Thank you Randy. We haven't talked lately about another trip to H. I'm going to be going to the Renassaince Festival at the end of this month. It's rare for me to plan anything too far ahead of time. I'll ask Connie if she'd like to make the trip. I'd like to come see you and Brian. He's such a character.

I've been trying my best to curb my impulse shopping lately. Going there would be a HUGE temptation for me. Surely I could be good. Surely!!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2007
1:44 AM

Post #4066842

LOL. I know they don't take much space but I have to figure out where they could shine. And I have to watch out for sneaky squirrels who move stuff they don't like. lol. I will find a place one day, hopefully soon!!! lol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #4066917

LOL, I know what you mean about impulse shopping...that's why I just stay in my garden...

I believe we're planning on going to the Renn fair too in a couple of weeks! I wanted to go this weekend, as I think the theme is Fantasy. Talk about impulse shopping...
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
2:51 AM

Post #4067082

Yeah, but my tight-wad, er closed fisted, er, frugal hubby is going also for the first time. I think it's halloween weekend that we'll be there. I've been twice. Once many years ago when my youngest was a baby. And another time as a chaperon for (8) 12 year olds for school. I wanna go just for ME!!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
2:58 AM

Post #4067103

LOL, you mean your wallet will be padlocked?
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2007
3:06 AM

Post #4067134

Planning a trip to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman for next year, My wife and I are advanced scuba divers & been from Figi to BVI with over 100 dives logged but always avoided the Caymans because of the crowds. Have to try it next time on the less crowded out islands... (w/o Stingray City). Nice pics, thanks for sharing them. :-)
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
3:54 AM

Post #4067255

Hi WaterCan2! Welcome aboard!

Sylvain - what's this "scraping the bottom" comment!? Not! You post away dear, I've never been to Aruba, and enjoy seeing your pics!

JB took this one for me...another group of featherstars...I just can't get enough of these:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
4:18 AM

Post #4067295

HI Watercan. Welcome to the Tropics! :-)

Shari, it looks like it was painted on the tips with glow in the dark paint. I've got to tell you though that the dark ones remind me of my ostrich feather duster! HAHAHAHA

Randy, HIS wallet remains padlocked ALWAYS. I've already warned him about the cost of just eating there. He asked me if we could bring some sandwiches. AAAArrrghhhh... The food is part of the experience. Can't wait to get my grubby paws on one of those waybigo turkey legs! Honestly, as much as I enjoy the crafts, etc. that are there, it's the atmosphere that I enjoy so much. I'm an avid reader and have read many books from that time period, so appreciate the efforts that go into the costumes and into the place itself. I'll have my camera with me. :-)

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
5:06 AM

Post #4067344

Wonderful Janet! When you get back you can post a new thread! I've never been, so would love to see the pictures! Have a great trip!

Jeanne
Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
4:11 PM

Post #4068433

Shari and Sylvain,
Thanks for keeping us going, great pics. Those featherstars are great.

Watercan2,
Do you have some UW shots that you could share?

Janet,
So glad you shared the mermaid with this group, I was hoping you would.
Please take some pics at the Ren Fest would love to see what its all about. Love the pic of you and sis!

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
4:15 PM

Post #4068442

Thank you Cath. I guess you can see where the inspiration for your mermaid's natural curly hair came from now. :-)

I'll be sure to take plenty of photos. The last time I went, I didn't have a decent camera. Only a video camera. That was fine, but a nice digital would have been much better. I don't think digital cameras had even been made at that time.

Janet
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #4068938

Unfortunately not, I did write a review (an unfavorable one), of a dive resort a few years back which won a prize which included a Sealife Sportdiver Camera. But when I see those guys getting off the boat with so much equipt. and so much delicate handling it reminds me of when I got into Astronomy and the tons of stuff I now have collecting dust. So I try not to get carried away again. I told my wife to drop a telescope counterweight on my toes if I did! I'll watch from the sidelines on this one...
I do appreciate the pictures though, I know how much effort it takes, they have a National Geographic course now geared toward buoyancy control for photography!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #4068950

Water, don't know if you noticed. I bumped the other five threads up to the top today. Have been looking at the photos again myself. Just wanted to be sure that those who have just found the under water gardens didn't miss them. Incredible.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 10, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #4069008

Scraping the bottom of the barrel implies it's just about it for me just about it as far as underwater pictures are concerned. I don't have that many of them that are interesting. I have searched my cruise photo albums (all 15 of them) and I have managed to find 5 or 6 more that are "sharable" or "postable". Here is a good one of me floating on my back at Trunk Bay, St.Johns, USVI. It's not an underwater shot but you can tell I'm about to point and shoot at unsespecting marine life forms.

I'll endeavour to post a picture every day.

Sylvain.

Edited because I don't seem to be able to construct a proper sentence or spell today, darn!

This message was edited Oct 10, 2007 3:57 PM

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
7:57 PM

Post #4069022

What big feet you have, said Miss Red Riding Hood...

Great picture. Wish I were there right now.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
8:04 PM

Post #4069050

Christi - I sure noticed! I couldn't believe all those old threads were getting looked at again, and then I saw bump, bump, bump. Thank you dear! You are so sweet to want to share our pics with all the new folks!.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!!!! ♫♫♫♫♫♫

Thumbnail by Islandshari

WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #4069093

You're 'bottom of the barrel' would be the 'cream of the crop' for me in UW, here's Belize with the Sportdiver.

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
8:40 PM

Post #4069144

Maybe that's where he's been, celebrating his birthday...should we ask how many candles?
Happy Birthday John!

WC, Its wonderful! Thanks for contributing! I am with you, as a diver, I remain in awe of the photographers that dive and handle all that gear. And yes, one more hobby to spend a lot of money on.

Sylvain, very fetching AW photo.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #4069196

I get "Belize", but what do you mean "with the Sportdiver"? Beautiful photo!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #4069217

I didn't know it was John's birthday. Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you,
Happy BIRTHDAY, Dear John, Happy Birthday to you...
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
9:14 PM

Post #4069233

Thanks for the Birthday wishes, just another day in Paradise...fixin to leave work just a fuzz early...we celebrated all weekend as we had friends in from up North...Got a mess of plates for my b-day...fellow collector came down and brought some '58's for me...for those that dont know, i collect license plates and am doing a 1958 birthyear run...i'll let y'all do the math on how many candles are stuck in the rum cake...

"Unfortunately not, I did write a review (an unfavorable one), of a dive resort a few years back which won a prize which included a Sealife Sportdiver Camera."

Shari, the Sportdiver is a camera w/ built in flash I think...

Let the mayhem begin!!

j
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
9:25 PM

Post #4069282

Aha! Thanks for the info! Suprised you can think that much...oh yes, you are leaving work, of course you can still think...in a couple of hours you won't be able to think at all! Rum cake...yummmmm!
We are starting over on getting your Marshallese lp...told ya about the cop...but someday!
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #4069307

Correct carriblue, and it takes film, that's ASA 3200. - considered an antique by today's digital standards...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #4069330

Oh gosh! I know in my head that it was done, but I just can't imagine film under water...one of those things that blows my synapses .
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #4069359

It's easy! ... it's just reloading underwater that gets a little sticky. :-)
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #4069366

Ha! ☺
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #4069437

My film and processing for the year was over 6,000 US...I am so glad I went digital...the learning curve was tough for me but at least I didn't waste a lot of dosh on film...hated waiting for the images anyhow...now I can't seem to get in the water...soon...need to get some shots off the shot list for the contest...only have a few weeks to get it done...maybe this weekend...

Thumbnail by caribblue

WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #4069504

That's about 1/7th what I spent on my darkroom. Got so "into it" I became a photo consultant for professional labs in Fort Lauderdale, (that's when everything was film and windows 95' had just come out.) it used to take 3hrs to scan a negative to a color print and the machine was 3'x4' and about 250lbs, Photoshop was new and used to crash most computers at the time. - I retired the darkroom, its all in boxes now, everything is digital and the companies are phasing out film. Konica no longer makes the 3200.

Nice yellow/ blue mix, you gotta win a prize, - you've got the best of the Caribbean at your doorstep!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #4069544

Water, have you checked the photos on the threads I bumped today. Lots of carriblue there.
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2007
11:19 PM

Post #4069618

Yes! they're great! .. I'm still trying to figure out how she gets the fish to smile!! :-))
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
11:34 PM

Post #4069660

John's Katie is a wonder at that...I think she sings to em or something!

John, I love that shot! Hmmmm, sponge and a gorgonian fan coral??? Beautiful! You MUST make time to get your shots in the contest...winners no doubt!!!

And there goes cheerleader Christi again! WaterCan - Christi is everyone's favorite U/W fan! Don't know what we'd do without her!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4069689

Watercan, we still have our Beseler enlarger here...did some black and white underwater...kind of fun, time consuming but Katie and I had some fun doing it...don't have the time nor space for another dark room...too bad to! zeiss lenses and such...but, nowadays, anyone with a digital camera and enough bracketing can get some quality images for posting and printing...glad i went digital...still have all the film bodies,,,glad all my film glass fits the digital...

john
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #4069701

He doesn't know I live in the heart of Texas and am a wanna be islander.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
11:47 PM

Post #4069711

Christie, with all the junk we have filled your head with, you already are an islander...

Yes mon, Big up Christie, yuh no awha gwon gal, up ta deh time bwai!

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #4069727

hahahaha Love it, love it.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #4069739

if you start replying in patwa, i will worry...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #4069745

be cawful...mon...be vewy cawful...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #4070187

Yep...she's a parrothead! Wish you could all be here for the Swashbuckler's Ball...we would have such a great time!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 11, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #4070252

John, that's a beaut! What a nice gift for us on your birthday. :-)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #4070253

Me, too. We would show everyone just what good time is...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #4070273

Boy - would we!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #4070367

Happy birthday, John and many more!

Sylvain.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
5:45 AM

Post #4070925

Great shot, John, and a Belated Happy Birthday, and many more!

Jeanne
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #4072783

Hi everyone! Wanted to show this cool fish. The picture is kinda blurry, cuz he was moving very fast, but he is so unusual that I thought you might enjoy it anyway. A juvenile Midnight Snapper:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #4072863

That is unusual! Cool!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #4072971

How truly unusual: freaky! I had never heard of a midnight snapper. That usually means they haven't made their way in the aquarium trade. Good for them!

Here is a picture of a school of blue damsels that swam by me at Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas in 2001.

Sylvain.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #4072986

That is cool..did you take that Shari? makes me want to go diving
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #4073073

Acually no, lourspolaire, they have them all the time in the pet shop here. They go for around $39, about 3" long.
Found out it costs the same to go diving in Singapore for a week (with airfare) as it does to go diving in Cayman Brac for a week from NY. Now, where did I put those chopsticks from last nights dinner! - Actually that's how I ended up in Figi one time... I was originally heading to Turneffe and then I found out...

My better half doing her safety stop.

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #4073106

Beautiful picture Sylvain! No Randy, my hubby takes the pics. I can no longer dive - ear issues - so I snorkel above them. I get to see a lot just snorkeling, but my heart is much deeper...ahhh well.

WaterCan (I just cannot get myself to call you WC!) I'm suprised they have them in the pet shop! It is hard to find the juveniles out here, and they are a bit bigger than 3". Are these salt water Midnights that you have seen? That hurts my heart. They surely won't live long, even with that price tag!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
11:07 PM

Post #4073132

ooh..well the bright side is snorkeling is still fun!
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #4073136

I know Islandshari, I used to be a villain years ago and had an 85gallon saltwater tank but in BVI I gazed into a foot of water under the pier of the resort I was staying at and decided I could never duplicate even the simplest of salt water conditions... there are just too many factors! I've been keeping fresh water fish only since then and intend to keep it that way. The fish services in the big cities from here to California remove the dead fish once a week and replace them with new ones so that the offices always have nice tanks, the intent is not to raise them but to show them. I have'nt seen anything you cant get here in the city except for whales and such... I've seen octopus, sharks, Batfish, even live, endangered coral & live sand from your "neck of the woods". - Yep it's the same fish alright... sorry!
" when it comes to money nothing is safe"
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #4073142

cool fish JB, thanks for posting it shari...

wc2, yeah cayman is expensive, but it's close and the price drops a bunch if you stay with someone you know that lives there...whatever

Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #4073328

WC,
Dive the Caymans, it is wonderful and worth every penny!
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #4073356

:-), Well the good thing is that if I cross the International Dateline I'll be able to post my pics a day ahead of everyone else!! lol!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2007

Post #4073526

Ha ha...well Chrissy and I are on the other side...and all it does is cause a time warp...we sleep while you all are posting and vice versa!

If I can ever get family obligations out of the way for more than a six month period, I certainly intend to get to the Caymans! I'm gonna get a big squeezy Caribblue hug and a tour of the waters from John and Katie - and if there is an LP convention anywhere else while I am there, I will hijack all the planes so John can't leave! Ohhhh I can be brutal if needed, tee hee.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #4073695

Shari you know the pool is always open for you and JB...my friends tom and laurie caught a lunchtime flight out of nc and spent a long weekend...a great birthday...

watercan, you enjoy yourself ing Figi when you get there!! as you stated, Figi can be done cheaper than Cayman but it does take a little longer to get there...have fun...cant wait to see the pics you post from there!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #4073887

Hold on, Hold on. Me first. Already have an invitation. Maybe we could all go at the same time. Poor, poor Katie.
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2007
2:36 AM

Post #4073943

Thanks Cariebblue but been there, done that. I'm heading farther this time. It is a shame that the Carribean is so expensive but then again that's a lesson in exploitation. Very few hard working Americans can even go to St. John's which is an American Territory. I've been very lucky and I know it, I don't take it for granted. The bright side is it will be also a cultural experience as well.

Islandshari, I'll be on JAL going the opposite way... just look for the silly guy waving the camera in the jet that just passed. Take care...

" honey!... where are those chopsticks??...

:-))
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2007
4:02 AM

Post #4074345

Well, I have no desire to go in that direction. Other than Bali, that part of the world just doesn't interest me. Are you guys talking about Fiji? I couldn't figure that one out ...don't know a Figi, so all I could think was you must mean Fiji! I will wave back!

Christi - we'll all meet up there and rent a hut! I think they will be able to handle us, if dear Katie can handle John, I think she can probably chaka with the whole batch of us.☺

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2007
11:48 AM

Post #4074793

Capital idea: fly to the Cayman Islands. We are always hearing about these ridiculous low prices when Spirit comes up with a seat sale. I might swing by the Caymans one of these days.

As for visiting the USVI, I've been to St.Thomas 4 or 5 times when the cruise stopped there. Every time, save one, I headed directly to St.John and Trunk Bay. That was my first caribbean beach. Being from Canada, I thought I had seen beaches in Canada: sand, weeds and freezing water. Well, that's when I learned that a sandy shoreline does not a beach make. Trunk Bay has been listed on National Geographic's list of the 10 most beautiful beaches.

Here's a fish that took a liking to me one day, I don't remember where. Mary had a little lamb... I had a mid-sized blue fish that day.

Be good, all.
Sylvain.

jimmyk79
Allentown, PA

October 12, 2007
1:04 PM

Post #4074990

Right now is a really reasonable time to book the caymans. I just booked on expedia for the first week of November and the price was a ridiculous $265 per person on delta. Last year the price was $200 more than that. Can't get to Fiji for that price. I've already been to Truk Lagoon and Palau...Price was about $1800 for air fare alone.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #4075020

Come on down Sheilas!! The water's fine and we have room, inside, in the hammocks, futons,,,if you come, we will make room...I'm in the doghouse again so there is even more room!!

wateringcans..good luck finding your chopstix, careful you don't poke your snapshot shooting eye out!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2007
4:06 PM

Post #4075510

My dad would always say...".We have plenty of room, will hang you on a nail or make a Methodist pallet". Being a Baptist, never did find out what a M pallet was. Beautiful day.
Pure yellow butterflies are everywhere.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2007
9:50 PM

Post #4076382

Most of the times, visiting family members from Québec city swung by Montréal and camped at our house. It seems there was always someone sleeping over. Ours was not a quiet house. My mom and dad were part of large families. My grandmother would always say: as long as there's a few sheets of newspaper in the house, we can make someone a bed by the fireplace. She was just kidding. We never had anyone sleeping on newspaper. There was a seemingly inexhaustible supply of cots and rollaways in the attic. Comfort food and warm blankets were never in short supply, either. Now, as for methodist pallets, I wouldn't know. I'm from a catholic family. Although we have forked big bucks for a great mattress set, I still sleep better in a chair on directly on the floor.

Sylvain.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #4076985

All this talk about bunking out on cots, floors, newpapers (!), etc, makes me want to have a sleepover! Bunch of girl talk all night long, painting toenails, braiding hair... - guys, you can even join in if you want to! Could be fun!!

What you in the doghouse for this time John???

Okay Star Wars Fans - glance at this Montipora quickly, then look away. Tell me what you see...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #4077018

HO HO HO HO>...HA HA HA HA...Jaba de hut
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #4077056

yep.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #4077166

Bingo!!!! Saw that and just had to have my own Jaba! Pretty cool, huh?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #4077175

Sure is ...
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
9:19 PM

Post #4079443

Cool shot, so many times formations underwater take on other identities like you have shown here...thanks for sharing...

"Smile so we can see you!"
j

Thumbnail by caribblue

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2007
10:01 PM

Post #4079516

Awesome John! That sure does look like a pair of lips.

Pretty fish Sylvain. Love that yellow stripe.

Shari, your Jada looks like he belongs in a whole 'nother dimension.

Good to see these underwater shots. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Janet
Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #4079542

John, now that would make a cool halloween mask!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
10:39 PM

Post #4079589

Janet, that IS a pair of lips...look above them and you can see his eyes too... a scorpionfish is a master of camoflauge, blends right in his surroundings...you can get so close to them, they don't move...poisonous fish too...you dont want to be pickin this beauty up...

j
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #4079592

Here is another scorpionfish, different angle...

Thumbnail by caribblue

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2007
10:47 PM

Post #4079607

Man o Man. Not gonna catch me trying to take this guys picture. John, you are one brave mon.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
10:57 PM

Post #4079627

Nah, these guys are harmless unless you fool with 'em...or step on them!!! sometimes it's wise to look where you put your feet, even in shallow water...things that look like rocks can sting!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2007
11:08 PM

Post #4079662

Tired tonight. Crew cut down the second tree in two weeks. Fruitless mulberrys we planted as a switch 41 years ago...supposed to live 20 years...we showed "them". They are not completely dead...not completely alive. Have been planting other trees the last few years to take up the slack and needed to get them gone so the others could take over.
Like loosing an old, dependable friend. Now they do the cutting and top cleaning...I do the detail work...too picky. Fifteenth of November is average first frost...maybe yes, maybe no. If you're not prepared with the tropicals...it will come on the first. Goin back out to finish the last little bit...company comin tomorrow to watch Cowboys with Mike...my girlfriend and I could care less so we will be outside. Mike is cookin right now...pork butt for pulled pork with sour slaw. Wish ya'll could be here to join us.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #4079680

Now that one must be a frogfish! Whew, those guys are UGly! But an amazing shot that's for sure! Here is a Hawaiian Bristletooth juvenile...they are usually more orange and purple...but this one is pretty washed out...sorry.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #4079751

Shari, does it change color as it gets older? For example, the Rock Beauty starts off all yellow . As it grows, a black patch appears and the fish ends up all black with a yellow head and yellow tail...Angelfish are the coolest!!!

Thumbnail by caribblue

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #4079758

Shari, those previous fish I posted are Scorpionfish...just as ugly as a longlure frogfish.here is a red variety...

Thumbnail by caribblue

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
11:40 PM

Post #4079776

I remember you id'd that other one as a scorpionfish, but I was sure that the lip closeup was a frogfish, or maybe a stonefish. Wow! Guess I need to go back to the books! The Bristletooths are very strange, one of the species that change completely from juvenile to adult. The juveniles are purple and orange with the funny diagonal looking stripes of purple on the orange body. The adults turn dark olive brown with pale greenish horizontal pinstripes. Completely different!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #4079863

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Think about how the mother fish feels. Sorry..so silly.
Thank you very much for the underwater beauty.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4080023

Wow!! That red one is bright. lol. I had to blink and look again.

Cool pics everyone!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2007
3:56 AM

Post #4080475

Great pics!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2007
5:07 AM

Post #4080610

Great pic (especially the first one) of the scorpion fish ! Never have seen one in red, I can't imagine what it hides in to be camoflaged with that beautiful color - red corals?

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2007
12:49 PM

Post #4081089

It sits there, looking like its surroundings (red coral) because it waits for its prey to come within an inch of its "nose" so it can suck it in whole and eat it. Actually, it will eat anything that will fit in its cavernous mouth. It happens in a fraction of a fragment of an instant. The observer, the prey is there and it's gone. To the fish, it's gulp, delicious... next! The only part of the fish that moves is its mouth. Many fish who feed this way use this same mechanism with great success.

Here's another parrotfish by the snorkeling trail marker at Trunk Bay (St.Johns, USVI). I never noticed until right now but everywhere I went, I saw parrotfish: epiphany for me, this morning.

Be good, everyone.
Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #4081800

I know this has nothing to do with underwater gardens, so I will declare myself severly off-topic. However, for a bit of a laugh, follow this link to my web page and learn something from the Canadian Wildlife Service about wood spiders:

[HYPERLINK@home.comcast.net]

Sylvain.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

October 15, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4086918

nuff said,

adios
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #4087270

Whadayamean "nuff said"?

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #4087344

Was it something I said?

Sylvain.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 16, 2007
4:29 AM

Post #4088050

Huh?
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2007
4:37 AM

Post #4088066

I don't understand what's going on...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2007
4:54 AM

Post #4088092

I don't think any of us do! Oooohhhhhhh Joooooohhhhhnnnnn!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 22, 2007
4:51 PM

Post #4110730

This thread came to a screeching halt It was also getting rather long in the tooth. Let's start another one and see if we can revive some interest. I'll see you all on the other side of the reef. Follow me to:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/782950/

Sylvain.
Edited twice because, for some reason, I can't spell worth beans this morning.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2007 12:52 PM

This message was edited Oct 22, 2007 1:03 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America