Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Crepe Murder Mystery: your murdered crepe myrtle

Communities > Forums > Article: Crepe Murder Mystery
bookmark
Forum: Article: Crepe Murder MysteryReplies: 17, Views: 236
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sunbug1
Todd, NC

October 2, 2007
1:02 PM

Post #4040038

Thoroughly enjoyed your story! It was fun to read, and informative. My dear mother used to love crepe myrtles, and had several in our yard as I grew up...whites and pinks. She tended to them like they were a flock of favorite animals, so I can identify with your story. It wanted to live so badly, but no one would let it even get out of the ground! You saved its' life, and now it is paying you back with its' beauty. You should be proud. Incidentally, you live in a beautiful home as well as having a beautiful lawn. Keep up the good work. Sunbug1

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #4040387

I'm always admiring the pictures of other people's crepe Myrtles, and yours are no exception. Beautiful. Up here, I'm afraid it would be too easy to actually murder one, besides which, I seem to have used up the space in the yard. Next lifetime, I'm gonna get one, though. Nice article! But, what happened to the free birch?
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
3:13 PM

Post #4040578

Thanks Sunbug1! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I have come to love and appreciate my Crepe and it is growing well now despite its sad history.

Carrie- Thanks! Sorry to say the free Birch was deceased when I pulled it up. It never did take root :-( I hope you get some Crepe for your yard and if nothing else you can always just keep a little shrub sized one. They come in such glorious colors now that I am thinking of adding another to my limited space.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2007
6:30 PM

Post #4041236

But think of the consolation prize!

We really don't have space... at the moment. If the dreams about backyard second patios and garden rooms ever become true, maybe I'll add one then. We have some space that's just generalized LAWN, where it's really too shady for grass and too sunny for shade - we pruned a gigantic monster in the yard into a shape that shade plants do actually grow under and now the sunny space beyond it is more accessible. So I'm not ruling out the possibility altogether!
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
7:36 PM

Post #4041501

Sounds like a plan! Good Luck.
broncbuster
Waxahachie, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #4041535

Great article! Just in time as I just dug up 2 'Dynamite' crepes from my Nana's house (she passed away 3 weeks ago) and am planting them at my house.
I want to see the old Holly!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 2, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #4041755

Joyce, you sure have a talent for a story! I don't know anything about crepe myrtle, but I read your story completely entralled, and then I read again because there were parts I could put to use with my own trees. Thanks once again for an informative and entertaining start to my day!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #4041930

What a fun read and so happy your Crepe Myrtle is doing well - it's beautiful!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #4042380

I love the way it was written! And I'm happy that the first wife's tree was resurrected by your loving hand.

CRice
Scotch Plains, NJ

October 8, 2007
11:15 AM

Post #4060238

Your article comes at a good time; I just planted 6 crape myrtles this year and would love them all to grow into graceful trees. So it is great to learn how to prune them, especially since they are new, I want to get them started out right. I am also trying to make something out of a neglected yard, I like stories like this!
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

October 8, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #4060751

Thanks CRice. They are so beautiful , you will love them. They are everywhere here in this area and nothing is more gorgeous than driving down a street lined with them. Your six should make an impressive stand in your yard. Just wait till spring to prune them and by summer you'll be greatly rewarded. Good luck on your "neglected" yard. I'm sure you will turn it into a beautiful garden. I have been working on mine for four years and am still discovering new plants and where they grow best in my yard. Its so much fun I practically live outdoors, who woulda thunk it? Me, from The Bronx? I even have an apple tree! Ha.
grammyof5
Chapel Hill, NC

October 8, 2007
2:53 PM

Post #4060891

What an intriguing headline and an even more inspirational story!

It illustrates the power of Nature's life force: even though it was buried and mowed for so many years, with attention and care it was able to spring forth and fulfill its mission in nature.
achaea
Campobello Island
Canada

October 9, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #4066206

A great story; informative and entertaining. I grew up in NC where crepe myrtles grow quite well, we had 2 in our yard and the semicircular drive at my school was lined with them. I hated to see them bloom! To me it meant the end of summer and the start of another school year. Now this memory viewed through layers of many years is still vivid.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #4066280

I wish someone would have taken a picture of when a Crepe Myrtle tried to murder me! When I was a kid growing up in New Orleans, our street was lined with them. For some reason, I got the urge to poke my head between two crossed branches, and couldn't get it out. I screamed and cried, and my mother, aunt, and grandmother looked out the window and just cracked up! Then they sent Grampa out to pull the branches apart and set me free. The things we do as kids, huh? LOL
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

October 11, 2007
12:59 PM

Post #4071375

I fell in love with crape myrtles when we were living in Charlotte, NC. I also learned the term "crape murder" while we were there and would smile and shake my head every time I saw one treated that way. You'd think that with the circulation of that memorable description there would be fewer "victims", but hat-racked and murdered crapes were an all-too-common sight in early spring. I have a pair of watermelon pink flowering crape myrtles flanking my front door here in Connecticut. Even though they are supposed to be hardy enough for my zone 6 garden they will spend the winter in my garage since they are in containers. Thanks for the heartwarming story and the pruning tips. I will keep the pictures for reference!
One final thought: do you know anything about the origin of the "crape" vs. "crepe" spelling?
wandygirl
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #4071567

Wendy,
Glad you enjoyed the article! I had the same question about crepe vs crape. Its called Crepe because the flowers have crinkly petals that resemble the material or paper called Crepe "(which according to Webster is a "light crinkled fabric woven of any of various fibers"). Crape would be a misspelling whose origins I cannot trace but "crepe paper" seems to make more sense than "crape paper" (as one authority amusingly explained :-).
Joyce
broncbuster
Waxahachie, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2007
2:23 PM

Post #4071627

I guess there are no pics of the old Holly?
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
3:26 PM

Post #4071797

sorry Bronc I dont have a pic but will take one for you. I dont hink I can put pics here but will dmail it to you
Joyce

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Crepe Murder Mystery Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My 'dead' crepe myrtle scottsmom 1 Oct 8, 2007 2:03 PM
Starting an Ireal Garden. boswell 3 Oct 8, 2007 11:19 PM
Thanks pupilpropogtr 2 Oct 8, 2007 9:51 PM
Mother's Day Crepe Myrtle Vipslady 0 Oct 9, 2007 4:41 AM
transplanting a crepe myrtle tubbyjoe 1 Jul 25, 2008 12:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America