Aloha from Oz....tropical dreaming! ...ep 3

Sydney, Australia

For all who love and dream of the tropics!....come with us!

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Where dreams are not only by the full moon, but the moon flowers.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Sydney, Australia

Ok so I don't live in the tropics.....so I do what a lot of Tropical Dreamers do.......plant things that look Tropical..... even though we know we are pushing the envelope......so to speak....
and so for me it is palms and boges....those of us who don't have the right conditions must choose palms that will look lush and tropical and yet survive .....Winters in less than friendly conditions.......or like some of our famous adventurers ....baby the tropicals inside over the colder months.
Come into our thread here.... and lets talk about how we manage to be tropical under less than friendly weather conditions......... if you want to know a bit of some things already covered .....please read part 1 and 2......but for now just a little glimpse of today ...in my back garden....this is where I dream of the tropics.....please excuse
this big rambling ....(in the midst of fixing a couple years of neglect)
garden of mine.....apart from bird donations I have grown everything here ....most from cuttings and seeds.....and plants that have been thrown into a bin at a Nursery where my daughter in law works. Starting with Dawn this morning....it is deceptive calm ...beautiful .....mists rising from the dams .....but the reality is temps will rise to just over 100 and the scalding winds will come in to batter and burn things ....we have already ...many bushfires burning and it is still early Spring here....but for now....dawn in my backyard

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

The quiet time before the day erupts! (hi Rj...love moonflowers too!)

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Already in the 80's here by 9am ....the sun bazes down already.....most Texans relate to this ....I know!
However the wind is not here yet! so it is pleasant and there is no humiditity.....which is great for us but not the plants!....does not help when you are on water restrictions......oh well let's see.....
now look here a S't John's Cross Spider on my cactus....ooops shhh don't tell anyone about the cactus!

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

And this cactus is enjoying this dry heat in fact he is getting a bit tall to hide

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

My Boges are starting to light up....I love them!

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Love different colours and I mix the boges up so they are all clashing and rioting

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

They fill the gap in time while you wait for the 4 'clocks....gingers ...lillies and Frangipanis to arrive!(it has just reached 100 and it is 10.30 in the morning...

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

You should smell the air the citrus blossoms are very fragrant!
here is manderine blossom

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

I grow my citrus amongst the flowers and palms....I think they are beautiful...lush fragrant blossoms ...and the pretty fruit....well you get to eat it!......it hides behind more boges

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

I had to go out earlier so here is a peek at a couple of typical homes in this area.....a farming area.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

here...

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

The local golf course....ooops next ...this is a home around the corner

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

I can hear LouC saying "it looks just like Texas" ha ha ha.
gulf course

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Ok back home....

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

So if I make it to Sydney this march do I get to come and tour the fantastical garden?

Sydney, Australia

The wind has arrived *gritting of teeth*...it is very strong and very hot
not really a tropical ideal but we can dream can't we .....have a wonderful day/evening everyone!.....you should hear the She Oaks ....screaming their heads off.....I like it.... but guests say they are frightened ......they sound like screaming madmen/women.
(that large leafless tree in the background is a Jacaranda and wil be covered in deep purple shortly.... :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

All my daves garden friends are welcome....just not all at once :)

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey Chrissy100; Your photo's look like they were taken in Los Angeles.You can't go 3 blocks in L.A. without seeing Eucalyptus,Palm trees,Bouganvillas,Birds of paradise,Protea's,Banana's,and anything exotic with a pretty flower.We even have large flocks of wild/feral parrot's and Conure's.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL,
well it's not looking so good anymore..the 2 weeks I wanted to come were last week of FEB and first week of MAR and those 2 weeks were blocked for recurrent training here at work. I should be so lucky with the lottery! suppose to meet up with a friend from MEL, we even rented an apartment....arrrrggh.

Sydney, Australia

Yes I am beginning to get the feeling we are pretty much the same....guess I need to go out and shoot more natives plants....do you have streets lined with bottle brush trees?....wattles everywhere?...I know you have gums.....some folk have said we are like Texas....and Florida is our QLD (Tropical).....isn't it funny ..we are all losing our traits.......but isn't it wonderful that we can have plants from all over the World in our own gardens....there are many purists here who say "you should only grow natives".....I don't know how others feel.... but my response to them is that if we all felt that way we would be eating yams and wattle seeds instead of the wonderful variety of things we have....I feel the same about our plants.....a lot of our native plants just explode in the heat and I would be vey nervous to only have natives in my garden ....so give me a good mix of both .....and lush takes longer to burn.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

In my neighborhood there are bottle brush everywhere...
and the new Toll Way was landscaped with Eucylyptus I won't even try to correct that spelling!
There are still tons of different things though.

Sydney, Australia

So what would be some Texas "natives"
postcard of gum blossoms

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Do you have a Jacaranda festival ?.....whole steets are just purple....(even though it is not a native ) it is "adopted" and there are celebrations everywhere

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

No, I think Jacarandas are just catching on here. I planted some this year.

www.nativesoftexas.com
has a good list of natives.

Sydney, Australia

That's interesting I found something that is an Australian thing... even though the tree itself is not.....they must have been around so long here .....most folk think they are native......Sydney Harbour turns purple in Nov and people all cruise around looking at the huge purple trees.....people from everywhere go to the Grafton Jacaranda festival. Our wind is most severe at the moment....I took a shot....and the she oaks and other things are bent right over ....while the Norfolk Island Pine (comes from a windblown Island) just stands there....it is amazing

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

My lovely boge out the front just dances in it without flinching......see you later:)

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Lovely pictures! My hat is off to anyone who pushes the tropical envelope!

Sydney, Australia

Ha ha ha... boy do I push....100 degrees and awful wind ...no moisture in the air at all ....you watch things shrivel in front of your eyes.In Australia it is about no moisture in the hot dry wind...it gets humid in Jan....but until then it is chokingly dry.Good things come from all rotten things.....no more worry about aphids....they will be burn't off......but hold on .....snake and fire warning....oh well here we go.... Summer in Australia....Spring was nice for 2 mins.

Sydney, Australia

But before we leave Spring...I borrowed some little pictures of our cooler climate Spring garden displays.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Tulip time

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Of course I could grow them if I leave them in the fridge for a few weeks but I would rather grow something tropical...they are pretty though

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

I guess this is a common scene in America

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

And most ozzys dream of cooler gardens

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

We are a funny lot :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Still I suppose if something is beautiful it is beautiful