Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Touring Jungle Heights, Rj's tropical garden.

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 236, Views: 1,577
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:34 AM

Post #4047201

This summer was one of the busiest. The Garden has always been nick named "The Jungle" and it became officially known as Jungle Heights. This neighborhood is Historic Heights, so it just fell into place.

It was one of the rainiest summers on record here, in fact the weather could have had one fooled into thinking they were in Central America, not Houston. Despite the constant rain, Jungle Heights was the location of a Houston Area plant swap that attracted DG members from all over Texas. It was such a blast. So many people showed up, that the entire 10ths street block was nothing but DG member cars. We had a pot luck, then swapped plants, went on a tour of Zone9Tropicals.com (they're down the street) . Individual forrays were conducted during the afternoon and we all rendezvoued for a wine tasting. The bonus, it didn't rain that afternoon!

The morning usually starts with me staring out the french doors to view the garden.
This looks over the hot tub towards the pond and seating area.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:37 AM

Post #4047203

The deck is bordered by a rail, but rarely seen because of the plants! One stairway goes to the lower garden and pond, one goes to the back driveway and garage, and the 750 sq foot deck as entrances to the bedroom, and the living room. The deck really IS my living room.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:40 AM

Post #4047205

This is the garden headquarters. Seating area that currently hosts the orchids and bromeliads. The entier deck surface and decorations change with the seasons, because the sun exposure also changes. The statue is called a Tepannom, from Chiang Mai Thailand...

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:44 AM

Post #4047207

Pond area, where Bird of Paradise and Australian Fern tree both got very big. There are certain humourist in the household here that refer to them as La Fern and Shirley...

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:46 AM

Post #4047209

The little fern that could. This one double it size several times this summer.
Australian Fern Tree

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:47 AM

Post #4047211

From pond area towards the french doors of the living room.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:48 AM

Post #4047213

And back again. This is the view coming from the living room. The deck is built around the oak tree, and I'm enlarging the hole around the tree...again...4 the time.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:50 AM

Post #4047214

Close up of tree. The lizard was made by DG member that visited during the plant swap. Hi Janet! Unique Treasures, and she sure is!

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:52 AM

Post #4047217

The deck is made with a curve around the pond area. It flows very nicely from deck to garden.
Pond, with cladiums..one of several looks during the year.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:55 AM

Post #4047218

Believe it or not, this patch of jungle hosts the deck stairs into the lower garden. Tall shell gingers on the left. On the right a giant Clerodendrum Ugandense, with a Cross vine over head that I actually trained up into the tree by using a chain.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:57 AM

Post #4047220

Plants around the pond...

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:59 AM

Post #4047222

Powder Puffs, Plumbeas and Ti's oh my

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
7:59 AM

Post #4047223

Plumbea

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:01 AM

Post #4047225

Ti trees. There are a few that really do well by the pond.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:03 AM

Post #4047227

Pond area, even though my intent is to have low plants..just doesn't happen

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:03 AM

Post #4047228

Bee checking out the ginger

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:04 AM

Post #4047229

Every year I seem to focus on something different. Last year was Clerodendrums, this year it was striking leafy plants. Got this one at the Mercer Arboretum.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:06 AM

Post #4047230

The stone walkway I put in following the edge of the deck. Some Alocasias I picked up this year. along the walkway

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:08 AM

Post #4047232

More ears

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:09 AM

Post #4047234

Mickey

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:11 AM

Post #4047235

On the deck, daturas

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:12 AM

Post #4047236

The lamp post in the lower garden.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:14 AM

Post #4047238

Walkway by lamp post. This time of year, it is like the jungle swallowing you up.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:14 AM

Post #4047239

another walkway pict

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:16 AM

Post #4047240

Picture from the side entrance of the garage facing towards the east fence and pond area

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:27 AM

Post #4047241

This is along the private driveway to the garage. The driveway really is the plant nursery area

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:29 AM

Post #4047242

Green house...made with fiberglass and windows...it is lit up with colored lights at night.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:31 AM

Post #4047243

As long as I happen to have coconut ladders...

I put them up for vines...This is the west end of the deck hosting a Beaumontia Murtonni vine.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:32 AM

Post #4047244

Images in front of these cathedral bells, are also using a bamboo coconut ladder cut in half

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:35 AM

Post #4047246

The garden in front of the house features a small pond, but blended beneath the vine ladders so you really don't notice water there...That way I can incorporate the great texture of papayras..or how ever its spelled.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:35 AM

Post #4047247

Clerodendrum Bungei..

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:36 AM

Post #4047249

More front garden - Brazilian cloak

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:39 AM

Post #4047250

More clerodendrum...I've discovered thee is no such thing as a small clerodendrum.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
8:42 AM

Post #4047252

That's it...this is the east ladder, covered with potato vine and Hawaiin wood rose. Another wood rose vine is by the green house in the castor bean tree. I'm hoping for blooms!

Rj

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #4047985

I am absolutely amazed. With what have you amended the soil??? What do you feed?

Beautiful.

LouC
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #4048089

Hi LouC,
I use alfalfa pellets that have infused, fish emulsion, cotton seed extract, mollases, and seaweed. It's a lazy mans alfalfa tea..:)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #4048112

Is all of that in one pellet? Where do you get it? I'm so impressed.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
3:49 PM

Post #4048124

Yes ...it is..I about fell over when I found them, as I made the stinky tea...and there was all wrapped up in one...
houston fertilzer is where I got it...their web side is gardengeek.com
not sure if they list it on there or not since it comes in 40 lb bags
It's called "earth essentials"

This message was edited Oct 4, 2007 10:50 AM
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #4048137

Also..oak tree leaves...the garden is especially fond of them. I don't pick up the leaves until spring. The garden beds have that sweet mulchy smell.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:04 PM

Post #4048189

Oh Randy that is heavenly! A Garden of Eden! Just gorgeous!!! You have done a wonderful job!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:07 PM

Post #4048199

Yesterday I saw a squirrel who's behaviour made my eyebrows raise, and sent me careening out into the garden after him. This guy had willful intent on some vine destruction! Not just any vine mind you, it is Hawaiin wood rose vine I started from seeds I brought back from Kauai Botanical Research gardens. You could tell that the vine was irritating the heck out of him...and he grabed it and was yanking on it with all is squirrel might. Right now is peak wood vine activity as it is a winter bloomer, and while I may never see blooms from it, this is the most promise it's shown to date. Before I helped that little guy find out what he's going to be in the next life...I just put netting around the Castor been giant tree that hosts the wood rose. Matter of fact in this post http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4047240 you if you look to the top of the picture you can see the vine hanging down.

I know by nature squirrels dig things up, but it's just a usually unintended by product of storing winter food...but this...eeewww...anyone else witness this behavior?
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #4048217

I'ld be after him too! My Mom has daylilies under a Chinaberry Tree, and I had set seed pods on several last year! Some pesky little squirrel ate them...left the empty pods and my tags on the ground nearby! I was so mad!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:29 PM

Post #4048272

Thanks...now hopefully you'll take alot of eden back with you!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #4048278

I know...if I wasn't so worried about that particular vine...it actually was pretty dang funny watching him get all angry and just having a fit trying to pull the vine off the trunk
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
4:57 PM

Post #4048383

Yes! I can't wait for Sat. to get here! Oh I'm go-ing to the jun-gle...the beautiful, beautiful jun-gle (tune to the Huki Lau song)!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #4048405

This must be the Houston RU...
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
5:05 PM

Post #4048418

Noooooo, just going to visit Randy Sat. There's a RU over at Mercer Sat, but not going this time...maybe another time!

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #4048423

Sounds good...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #4049321

that has always been a dream ..to build an arboretum...In the mean time I hear there is a new one here in town I have to go check out.
Yes, Jeanne is going to help me thin out plants...winter is coming, and I have no more real estate left, although I am eyeing the front yard...
When you plant by seeds - there are all those extras...then there was the plant swap..and there was a big load of plants left.
Then there are the cuttings..
It's a growing labratory, and sometimes I don't think I'm that prepared for success!
And these clerodendrums...even the philippinum - grew over 6 feet..they are all space hogs ..
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #4049998

Very nice tour through your jungle, rj. Man, you sure can grow a lot of plants in Houston. A real inspiration for me to start my own when I get there. My brother, who lives in the area only grows what apprears to be crab grass in his yard. That will all change if I have my way. I'll start him with a plant or two and maybe a seed will be planted in his head. teehee
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #4050022

Glad to be all of the assistance that I can! We aim to please! Just consider our yard an extention of the Jungle Heights! LOL Mi casa es su casa...su flores es mi flores!!!!! Mi Amigo! I will be very glad to take care of any extras that need a home! Gracias Senor!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #4050099

My jaw fell with envy over your not so bit of Eden, RJ. If only I could have just a lil creative botanical wizardry skill of yours RJ..
You are amazing!

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
1:32 AM

Post #4050109

Let me know when you get in town!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
1:38 AM

Post #4050134

Thanks,
Nature was very cooperative this year...especially the rain, it was like the Central American rainy season!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #4050190

No kidding...I thought we owned lake front property...oh my mistake, that's the backyard! It finally did drain, dryup...but my goodness!
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4050275

My gosh!! your garden is heaven!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2007
11:05 AM

Post #4050918

Good morning! Having a cup of coffee and salivating over your garden again! Gosh!! Beautiful RJ.
Oh oh! DH just woke up, got to minimize this, he warned me not to have any ideas!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #4052630

RJ your garden takes my breath away! So lush and gorgeous! Now, I know a similar look can be achieved using containers...I've seen it...but I just don't seem to have the knack of combination. Your garden is my inspiration...heck i LIVE in the tropics! I SHOULD be able to do that! That pellet you talked about sounds perfect - but 40 lbs?! I wonder if they sell it in any smaller amounts for shipping purposes? I am going to check out gardengeek.com!

I had a running battle with the squirrels up in Colorado. One (or more, who knows) got so mad at me for putting capsasin in the bird feeder that he litterally chewed up one of my patio chairs! I was always finding things chewed or broken...they are smart and mean!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #4053128

Thanks Shari, at first I had to garden like that because the back had 2 more tree's shading the garden, and so I moved the containers around with the sun throughout the year..I had one tree removed, and Hurricane Rita had the other one (in my neighbors yard) removed. I felt bad for him because it was a 100 year old pecan tree, that his kids swung in growing up..It split in two, one half grazing the corner of his house, the other half landing right in between our houses (in my back driveway). Even though it landed on my car and took out the fence, it mostly missed the house. When we opened the blinds to the bedroom, the branches were litteraly resting on the windows!

.it's a bit crowded and that is why Jeanne is going to come over and lighten the load. My next lesson in the labratory garden is going to be landscaping. I did begin the transition this year, but the rain this summer sort of slowed that process down.

Re the pellets, I always have a bag of that around, I suppose I could put some in a freezer bag and mail it? it is good for the potted plants.

I have to go tidy up after work tonight...Jeanne will be there tomorrow to pick up plants...I told her to plan more trips..I'll probably be tossing plants in her trunk when she's not looking..LOL!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2007
5:08 AM

Post #4053733

No problem here...How much do those trailers rent for at Uhaul? Oh, I don't have a trailer hitch on the back of the car! Darn the luck! haha
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2007
11:36 AM

Post #4053971

Hmm U haul the..forget the trailers...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 6, 2007
2:45 PM

Post #4054430

Well Rj ...I was off to bed at midnight...until I stumbled across Jungle Heights!...your jungle is beautiful ...tropical ...romantic...just stunning!...you know when I look at yours I hear soft Island music...I love my Jungle ...however when I look at mine I hear Tarzan calling! and Elephants stampeding...not exactly what I planned... but I love it's wildness anyway...your jungle is a dream...how does it feel to live in a dream? congratulations!
you and Tm and a handful of other Tropical enthusiasts...super heroes the lot of you!

goodnight...at 12.45 am...Sunday morning...7th oct.

A special thanks for the tour of Jungle Heights! nice things to think about while falling to sleep...

In the jungle ...the mighty jungle... the lion sleeps tonight...weeee...aaaa whimmmma... way...
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 6, 2007
5:13 PM

Post #4054774

rj - your jungle is AMAZING - and I am suffering from 'jungle envy'. I really know what you mean about 'no such thing as a small _ "...you fill in the blanks. Heavy pruning going on here too!!!!! And chopping the bloomed gingers down to add more soil and fert...if not they become the plant that at Cleveland.

rj...you are gifted!!!

Carol
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2007
11:52 PM

Post #4055798

Carol, it is ever bit as AMAZING in person! Just breathtaking! So tranquil and relaxing! It is a wonderful garden! Randy is such a wonderful host, and so generous! The garden art is phenomenal! A wonful display of beauty both in plants and art! Totally Amazing!

Randy, DS and I had such a fine visit. It was fantastic! Thank you for everything! It was great! Thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon!! Thank you so much!!!!! Hope to see you again!

I hope your lovely plants like it in my yard as well as they do yours! LOL

Thank you!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 6, 2007
11:57 PM

Post #4055811

Oh you lucky thing 77...tell us all about it!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4056060

The pictures say it all! Gorgeous! Randy is just adorable. So friendly, has a wonderful since of humor, so kind and thoughtful. It was raining when we first got there, so we sat and visited. The rain lightened up and we were able to tour the garden. We went out on the deck and looked onto the pond. It is just so tranquil, just so peacefull. You forget that you are in the middle of Houston.

You are just in awe of the heights of the plants in the Heights! Unbelievable! Then we walked thru the garden and Randy explained to me what each one was. There is such a lovely rock path thru the garden (I want one). Everything is so lush. So healthy, green, tall! Truly amazing! We rounded out our tour. Randy had alot of plants ready to be adopted. So we loaded the car and bid farewell, and came home.

It was such a lovely afternoon! Randy is just a wonderful gardener and host. He is so generous and kind and thoughtful! Just a sweetheart! We really had a good time. He's a dear! He is so knowledgeable about each plant he has. I will forever be asking questions. He is so kind to share his wisdom and knowledge! Hopefully a friend forever!

Randy, hope you don't mind my bragging on you!

Jeanne
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 7, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #4056304

Randy ... your fan club is growing!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 7, 2007
2:45 AM

Post #4056476

How wonderful! 77 and good on you Rj!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 7, 2007
2:47 AM

Post #4056484

My goodness, such praise! RJ, are you blushing dear? Can't let DH read these last couple of posts, or he would never agree to go visit such an icon! Ha Ha! Bet Mike might have some problems in that area as well! Well, Mike and JB can commiserate together while Christi and I pommel Randy with all the questions we will have about how you grow such gorgeous plants! Should be interesting!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 7, 2007
2:51 AM

Post #4056504

I think it is wonderful to find these garden lovers who just love their gardens so much...what an absolute pleasure!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2007
11:48 PM

Post #4058855

RJ...what a beautiful tropical garden!!
You were talking about that squirrel, and it made me laugh and remember something one of our DG members said on the ORVG Coffeebreak thread. She recently acquired this parrot, and is just learning what all he can say. His name is Ozzie. I will copy and paste what she wrote the other day about him and a squirrel. So funny!!

"Got a good laugh out of ole Oz man first thing this morning...One of the squirrels got a peanut out of the dish, and brought it down the slope near the door to bury it...Oz saw him and started screaming **PUT THAT BACK!!*** Scared the bejimminies out of the poor squirrel and he hauled tail over the woodpile...Must have scared him real good, cause he hasn't been back yet..LOL "

I laughed myself silly! I could just see that bird scaring that squirrel!
He may have scared him away for good!

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #4059069

How funny! Now see RJ, all you need is a trained parrot to sit out there and guard the garden. Solves all of your problems with the squirrels! LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2007
1:07 AM

Post #4059187

LOL. That's funny about the squirrel.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2007
5:24 AM

Post #4060025

Super garden RJ! You and TM do more with your pieces of land than I do, and I live in the tropics!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #4060578

Been trying to access "gardengeek" all morning...lots of sites but none of them that sell anything. RJ is there a trick?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 8, 2007
9:55 PM

Post #4062368

Yeah...me too? I don't get it!
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #4062475

Just had to jump in here for a sec. I think you may be looking for yardgeek.com
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2007
10:57 PM

Post #4062618

aah..thanks guys...I am blushing.
I had jam packed garden chuming weekend. When Jeanne arrived Saturday, it poured for a little while, then we got to touring and plant chat. We had a great visit, and then wrangled some plants into the car. Alot of them were rather large..Jeanne is a sweety.
After she left, I re-arranged the west portion to maximize the changing sun exposure.
Sunday was burgers over at a friends house who has an internet plant business, and there was a small gathering of plant enthusiasts. It's fun going over to Waynes house because the back yard is where the green house and all the plants are at, so we all inspect everything and delight in the fall blooms of exotic plants.
Since I live down the street everyone wanted to come by and tour the garden, so I said give me 10 mins and ran home to tidy the squirrel dammage (loved the squirrel story) of nuts and leaves. We had a great time, it was fun watching them run around checking it all out. We're all alike when we see new gardens, we have to see every corner!
One of the gentlemen that I had met at Waynes previously has an astounding garden, and to boot he is an accomplished artist. We are going to be visiting his garden in a couple of weeks. I think we need a botanary term for hanging out in the garden..like gardenizing or something like that.. Anyway I think you guys will enjoy his web site as much as I do...!
http://mikenature.com/
Seems like alot of us here like the Jungle theme!
This weekend we are headed to another Jungle, Jerrys Jungle where he has a sale 3 times a year, and I obtain my rarer plants. All of us are meeting up there next weekend.
http://jerrysjungle.com/

Needless to say. I slept in today
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #4062621

ooh..sorry about the yardgeek.com
I do that repeatedly. I suppose my mind thinks it should be gardengeek
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #4063085

Yes, some of those plants were kind of big...yep they were! Boy was I surprised! But we managed! They all look pretty good. It didn't torture them too bad putting them in the car! Thanks Randy! I really do appreciated it!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
1:02 AM

Post #4063117

You bet...sadly...I look back in the garden and can't tell a difference!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #4063159

Yes, and as you said, about my yard,,,it is spacious...well I still have plenty of room left also! LOL
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
2:19 AM

Post #4063437

That's good, you can have a brug forrest. I'd like to clear out the brug nursery by spring..!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2007
2:35 AM

Post #4063486

Randy,

I really enjoyed the tour of your awesome jungle. Seeing it in person in the spring, and then again this summer, was even better. Good Lord it's grown so much, even since then!

Hubby walked in the room while I was looking at your tour and asked what the spidery plant in the front yard, by the clero's was. Looks like wispy papyrus tops. He was admiring them. He said your jungle was incredible. (truly high praise from him) I can't believe he was admiring those papyrus though because they've been trying to take over one corner of my yard close to my house for 2 years now. He's chopped and chopped and yet they still keep returning. He's dug them up and he always leaves just a bit. I think he secretly loves them and leaves that last bit just to torment me!

I need to set you straight on something though. It wasn't me that made the topiary lizard, but Connie (maidentheshade). She's the topiary queen around here.

Many folks around here think Connie and I are twins. We aren't.

Just for future reference:

Janet - the YOUNGER sister! Mwahahahahahaha

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 9, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #4063521

A bit green with envy ...but happy for you all a brug forrest that sets my heart to pounding...Pretty picture UT :)
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #4063647

Thanks Chrissy. I'd love to have some brugs blooming. I have 2 of them that are small. I doubt they'll bloom this year. But I can be thankful that my daturas are blooming. :-)

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
3:43 AM

Post #4063697

Yes I can't wait! I dearly love brugs! So RJ is a God-send. Literally answered prayer. I prayed. :"Lord, if you want me to have more flowers you'll just have to send them" and HE DID! I am so excited! And I have a mentors to help me take care of them. (Professor) R. J. Harrison, and his associates...YEAH! LOL

Being a beginner gardener this is like a touch of heaven on earth! Thank you Lord for using RJ, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 9, 2007
8:41 AM

Post #4064050

How lovely to hear you so excited 77 I am excited for you!
Rj sounds like a very generous guy...he gives great knowledge and real plants away too...no wonder the garden is so blessed :)
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
11:37 PM

Post #4066289

LOL,
You know that saying ...what goes around comes around, or pay it forward? it's certainly true.

Janet..did you need brugs? I have them anywere from a foot tall to 20 feet..take your pick.
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/3651/
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #4066312

The ones I have came from you. They just haven't become "monsters" like yours have. One is in the ground. The other in a pot. Both have "Y's". I'm still hopeful that they will bloom for me... some day. :-) Once these get going, maybe I'll try out another one.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #4066324

Hope everything isn't gone by Nov.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #4066334

LOL...ooh..ookay...just checking...feed them alot...this cooling weather is their favorite..
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #4066339

Just ask Jeanne..it won't be...there's lots..
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2007
11:48 PM

Post #4066347

Can't think of a thing I have that would be of the slightest interest...always willing to share the bounty. I'm way, way under your caliber.

LouC
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #4066734

HAHAHAHA Christy, Randy is in a class all by himself. His jungle is glorious! Every gardener's dream come true. I'd imagine being friends with Wayne from Zone 9 Tropicals has lots of advantages. :-)

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #4066759

Oh yes...and these guys too...did you check out their places?
This is the post number i.d. that the links are at.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4062618
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #4066788

Checked them both out. Great sites! Looks like they belong on a whole 'nother continent!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007

Post #4066812

Yes...Jerrys Jungle is having a sale in a couple of weeks..that's one of the sources of some of my plants.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #4069293

The whisper of things to come is in the air, silently the winds begin to lightly blow from the north, the sun sets early and the heavy humidity lightens. Potted plants no longer need watering everyday, and the bee's and squirrells have reached a frantic level of activity. I'm beginning to feel the same urgency as I feel the hourglass has tipped, that unsaid change of seasons that no calendar can measure. I look towards the greenhouse that has become summers storage of this and thats and begin to plot it's return to a habitable place for the orchids and other tender tropicals.

Even so, the presents of blooms unwrapped still greet me, and urge a moment of pause amongst the feelings of frantic perparedness to follow.

I am not sure the name of this canna, it appeared in my garden a couple of years ago from one of the trades. The closest I've been able to I.D. this is a Bananna Canna. They reach about 12 feet tall or so, and indeed have very like bananna leaves.

This is as close to the i.d. as I've gotten so far
Canna indica L.
'musafolia'
Hybrid
The Banana Leaf Canna

This message was edited Oct 10, 2007 5:21 PM

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #4069295

Gardenia scented Butterfly gingers...

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #4069299

Passion flower C

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #4069304

sahelangii

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #4069306

You're also a very poetic writer.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #4069310

Solanum and the sahelangii

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #4069317

The new addition from Jeanne
Majesty Palm...
after reading up on this palm, this is one of the few palms that like alot of water and are often found in boggy areas or along rivers with their roots seeking water

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #4069320

An artistic gardener, and the heart of a natural world admirer from a time gone by. You make me look at my own garden with new eyes. Thank you Randy.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #4069325

Spring and fall seem to be the time when height is added to the australian fern tree. Once again, the tree is gaining height. When april started in 2007, there was NO trunk on this tree.!!

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #4069340

Daturas and Brugs love this time of the year. The daturas greeted me in the early morning, The daturas I grew from seeds years ago, had "Datura Tree" marked on the packet, and some of the daturas tower over my head. This one is a smaller one set against the Dark alocasias and plumbeas

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:40 PM

Post #4069343

It's fun having two entrances to the garden from the house. This entrance is from the living room and full of potted plants. Durantas and plumerias greet me often with accompanying butterflys.
Duranta with aztec gold plumeria peaking through.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2007 5:06 PM

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #4069347

Towering over the westside of the deck is the coconut ladder from Thailand drapped with black eyed susan vine and..the Beaumontia Murtonni...will it bloom? The vine is 2 years old now and has over reached the top of the 40 foot ladder seeking refuge in the neighboring pear tree.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #4069349

The new orchid opened.. dainty flowers. This is the first time it bloomed since it's owner sent it to the Jungle for rehabilitation.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
9:48 PM

Post #4069361

This is a mystery tree given to me by a neighbor. Anyone have a guess.?

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
9:54 PM

Post #4069376

Boy, am I ever showing my ignorance. Because my shampoo ginger is less than 24 inches from my nose in the garden, I'm thinking that sure looks familiar. It does look exactly like it but I know full well that is way too simplistic. Sure that a ginger is way far back in your experience and that would be like id white milk.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
10:14 PM

Post #4069419

you mean the mystery tree?
Which one for shampoo ginger?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #4069487

Were you speaking of the plant in the foreground? Long, shiny leaves?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
10:49 PM

Post #4069508

yes...I've no idea what it is...neither did the person who gave it to me
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #4069552

That's the one that looks like my shampoo ginger. Sure there are lots of look alikes in the garden.

Do you have a shampoo/pinecone ginger?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #4069620

No, I sure don't...let me look that one up..
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
11:34 PM

Post #4069661

Here are some closer pictures...doesn't have the ginnger patter...waxy long leaves

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
11:36 PM

Post #4069674

another...anyone see a guava tree before?

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007

Post #4069676

Here is how tall those bannana leaf cannas get...the leaf on the far left IS a bannana leaf

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #4069680

couple of cross vine stragglers...it's always blooming a few now and then

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #4069683

Dualing lizards...a bit of a territorial dispute in progress

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #4069684

Duranta up close...
Natures purple at it's best!

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
11:40 PM

Post #4069687

Ornamental cotton. My next door neighbor gave me these seeds before she left, and indeed when this plant goes to seed, it is a nice puffy cotton ball. I'm told cotton is hibiscus family? who knew? Okra too!?

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4069690

morning glory tree

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4069692

These are great...miniature hibiscus- rose mallow.. about a foot high

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
11:47 PM

Post #4069714

Randy, was that a trick question? You knew what it was all along.

The lizrd looks as though it is loosing its head.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #4069913

No...Carol ruled out Guava tree...still don't know what it is.

Yes..the lizards head is in the other lizards mouth...they both were fine in the end minus a tail.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #4070082

I just compared it to my shampoo ginger and I don't think they are the same...but then, I have been known to be wrong, so it is definately possible.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #4070085

It is definately not a ginger...it is a tree or shrub of some sort...
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #4070100

Avacado maybe???
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #4070262

mabe..but the leaves are long and narrow
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #4070267

it looks alot like ylang ylang...
Opinions?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
1:37 AM

Post #4070290

Most YlangYlang I have seen have shorter, more rippled leaves...a bit thinner than yours too I think. But if it is...wowzers! Talk about perfume!!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007

Post #4070294

Yeah...we sort of ruled that out too...well..guess time will tell...it sure likes it's semi sunny corner it's in though
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #4070395

Randy, has Wayne seen it? Surely he knows what it is.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #4070445

Ironically, he gave it to me.. It arrived in one of his shipments unmarked..he has no idea.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2007
2:54 AM

Post #4070536

Have you posted the photo in the Plant ID forum? Those folks are incredible about knowing things. I can usually get an answer within a few minutes.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #4070593

no, not yet...I thought if none of us tropic wonder kids could figure it out...then I would do that next
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
4:10 AM

Post #4070773

Randy...maybe I can get a collection of leaves together of fruit trees...and send them to you for a match. Would that help? We have about 30 varieties...also some of the ornamental stuff too. Can you post a photo of THE leaf...both sides. Are the margins recurved?

Carol

Can you show a close up of the main trunk...anything outstanding about the bark?

This message was edited Oct 10, 2007 6:11 PM
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
8:30 PM

Post #4072656

Okay..I will get that together
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #4072727

Howdy RJ :0)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 11, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #4072793

Morning Rj ...that plant looks familiar but ...of course it will come to me when I am not thinking about it!
hi 77! and everyone
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #4072834

Good morning Chrissy! How's your day going?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #4072870

I keep going back to Christi's thought about the ginger...ya know, my shampoo ginger is over 12 ft. tall...and if I hadn't been re-rooting the off-shoots, it might very well look like a tree. Perhaps it is some sort of ginger tree??? Well, I'm sure Carol will be able to figure it out. Oh I love a good mystery!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #4072961

Yes, but don't the gingers have leaves like a feather? Flat with leaves that don't spiral around.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #4072963

Hi Jeanne...did you see how pretty your tree looks? I can't wait to put him in the ground this spring!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
10:32 PM

Post #4072997

Yes, I did! He looks very pretty! I like the throne he is sitting on; I bet he really does feel like "his majesty", haha! I'm sure that you will take very good care of him!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #4073139

LOL, yes..
I'm trying to think of a location that I can keep his roots wet. mabe this will be my oportunity to landscape the "lawn" out of the front yard and make a pond featuring the tree...
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #4073984

oh, I love ponds! Do they really like that much water?????
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #4074009

Ponds just aren't ponds without a lot of water. Ohhhhhhh you meant the palm. Sorry for misinterpreting that! HAHAHAHA
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2007
2:54 AM

Post #4074043

hahahaha! Janet, funny! haha I didn't give it much water. Think how much it would have grown otherwise!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #4075749

This is so pretty set against the sea of green shapes!

Yes..check out the PlantFiles on the palm tree. I saw some pictures of the palms right on the side of a river...all sorts of landscaping ideas are swimming around...hehe..no pun intended...

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2007
8:13 PM

Post #4076167

One week to Jerrys Jungle sale for all the Houston Area folk.

New and hard to find plants will be available. Jerrysjungle.com
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2007
8:59 PM

Post #4076261

RJ, Are you going to be at the sale helping out?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2007
9:03 PM

Post #4076263

About to plant a duranta that I got at Wallyworld for $11.00. Where should it go?

LouC
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #4076445

No, I'll be helping out filling up my shopping cart!

The duranta..Sunny location, drinks mega water...personal notes: If a person is interested in abundant and frequent bloomings this plant does best root bound in a pot. In the ground it does bloom nicely, depending on the care, but not near as frequently and can grow into tree size.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #4076480

thanks for the tip. I just placed some in ground but should have used pots. Will put them in pots. white one is fragrant.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #4076549

Sure.. I discovered this through out a 3 year trial. started in pots, went into the ground and ended up putting them back in pots with great results...the only downside is that they require alot of water. I also observed this with the ones in the ground.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2007
11:16 PM

Post #4076575

hmmm! I should add my water crystals to the soil when I put them in pots. That should help them.
plantnutga
Thomasville, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #4076656

Randy

Thank you so much for the tour! I have been holding back a bit with 2 moves and the change from zone 10b to zone 8b but I am now suffering from tropical envy.

Your garden is absolutely gorgeous. Everything pulls together so well! I have a ways to go.

As I may have mentioned before, Clerodendrums are a favorite for me. So glad to see yours doing so well!

Erin
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
12:10 AM

Post #4076745

Hi Erin,
You have been missing for a while. I wrote back to you, let me know if there are any others I can help you with.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #4076827

Thanks for the help with the duranta. Will plan on the pot. Can I leave it outside our will this be something else I need to bring in...oh, I soooooo need a greenhouse.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #4076863

I leave mine out...course it's 9a zone here..but still..it froze pretty good last spring and nothing died permanently
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #4077204

yes. we have had the coldest winter in our zone and it still lived.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4077227

I do hope we have a better winter this year..It's usually 80F and hot on easter, this year the baby birds were freezing to death...
Still, it was good to see that the tropicals were alot hardier than I previously thought.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #4077240

According to Farmer's almanac--we are supposed to have mild winter and mild summer next year. I am counting on it as I have replaced some of the tropicals back. Lot of the fragrant tropicals I like tend to be on the expensive side.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #4077310

Oh lovetropics, I am so glad to hear that. Hope its right!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 13, 2007
4:11 AM

Post #4077554

One day last Summer birds were dropping dead from the heat...
let's hope the weather is much kinder for everyone and everything
in the next few seasons...the wild swings do a great deal of damage...not only to our plants and animals but to us...we need a little gentleness...please
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
4:17 AM

Post #4077567

Definately! I could sure go for a milder winter! Both for me and my plants!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 13, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #4077583

pppppsssst! 77 don't tell the others but this is my duranta...it flowers in many flushes with just a little hacking back every now and then...meet Geisha girl ...over 10ft and will be a mass of purple soon

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
4:26 AM

Post #4077587

Whadayamean..."don't tell the others!?!?!? Beautiful Chrissy!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 13, 2007
4:28 AM

Post #4077593

Well everyone is saying they need a restricted root system ...perhaps the roots are just warmer in pots...mine has withstood a severe feeze and didn't blink...Perhaps it's the climate but it is almost a weed here ...if it were not so beautiful!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
4:30 AM

Post #4077597

Shari, Chrissy was trying not to brag! Trying to keep it a secret that she can grow them soooo big! Too late Chrissy, Shari overheard your secret!! It's out! I promise I didn't tell!

I did get my orchid as I think I told you, but the picture is still in the camera. We have to reload some drivers (software for the computer). Hopefully DS will get that done tomorrow. We may have to go online to find some of them. But I will try to get you a picture asap. It looks good, I think anyway!

This message was edited Oct 12, 2007 10:32 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 13, 2007
4:33 AM

Post #4077606

Good luck with it 77 those orchids can be heartbreakers sometimes
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #4077613

Shari...didn't catch the comment about Spiraling Ginger...those are usually Costus...still in the Zingaber family tho'.

So...Randy...looked at somemore guava leaves...still convinced it isn't that. Say...Why don't you send me some leaves and I will compare to the wads of different fruit we have???

Carol
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
4:39 AM

Post #4077623

Chrissy, Oh, I know! If it makes it great, if not I tried! I will bring it in when the weather starts to get cold tho. Then if the weather is nice I'll take it out for fresh air.

My Mom raised them when we were in Hawaii and a couple in NC so I've always wanted one. It was marked down from $25 to $8, so I thought I'd give it a try!

I love all of the pictures of your plants. They look wonderful. RJ gave me a duranta. So far so good. Everything looks OK from being stuffed inside a hot trunk for 30 min...welll not everything...some things were in the back seat! They had A/C!

This message was edited Oct 12, 2007 10:40 PM
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2007
1:10 PM

Post #4078105

Chrissy--I do love your pictures.
Not only the weather but also the type of soil will make a difference I am sure. RJ is giving me tips on how to make them thrive in this part of the country. I had seen these in HI in ground thriving as well. I like to learn the tricks to fool plants as much as I can!LOL!If that does not work, then I get fooled.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2007
2:43 PM

Post #4078404

So, I have a concensus of 2-1 to put in the ground. It is so beautiful today would like to put it where I can see it all the time. Did you say it is evergreen?
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2007
2:50 PM

Post #4078417

yes. They are evergreen. I would put them in the GROUND in a container to be root bound to make them bloom.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2007
3:04 PM

Post #4078461

Good. Thank you for helping.
Guess that would be the best of everything.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2007
4:01 PM

Post #4078608

Howdy Rj...I will be helping you spend all your money at Jerry's Jungle this coming weekend...heheheheh...I'll be there bright and early to get the first pick of all the good stuff...and run and go hide it...sshhhh...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #4079137

Hehehe...I will be ...! I get all my best varigate plants from Jerry...should be a beautiful weekend too.

I'm hoping we have a mild winter. I feel like we're going to. Certainly this month has not seen a huge cool down here yet.. Matter of fact the south wind kicked in again today and is warming up quickly..had to water.

Chrissy, good to hear of other experiences on the Duranta.! I'm muddling through like everyone else, although UniqueTreasures also experienced similar. It's probabably a matter of right location, sun and water. I've only had them for about 4 years and it is my suspicion that root bound is what's causing them to bloom..if we interpret that...that would be I guess, LOL...this is one of my favorite quotes
But anyone who practices organic gardening knows that it is made up of a huge volume of hints, tips, ideas and practices—some of which, when tried, work and some don't, despite the fact that the organic gardener just down the road did exactly the same thing and got incredible results. "
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #4079256

soo...mabe the duranta likes hard pruning too? blooms on new growth?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 13, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #4079643

You 've got it ...but you only need to cut a few inches back behind the finished flowers...to me you treat it the same as a crape myrtle...you can lolly pop...or let it have it's way...chuck some cow poo at it every now and then (or whatever manure you have)
and then just ignore it (if it's in the ground).
Bear in mind whatever I may experience may be very different in other places and soils...my soil...hard red clay!...that in itself may inhibate root growth to a certain extent .Anything I plant gets a whole lot attention at planting...soil improver...compost ...manure...sharp sand
mixed at a rate of about 50 percent of those goodies and about 50 percent of the clay...then once planted ...thick wads of newspaper about three foot around the plant (not right up to the trunk) wetted down (after watering the plant in)...and this is covered in more goodies like lucerne hay (you call it alfalfa) to hold it down...more manure...sprinkle of blood and bone...until a few inches thick...water again ...and that's it!...stand back!
plantnutga
Thomasville, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #4079649

I hate to admit it but I would prefer a winter that is a teeny bit less warm than the last two. My Angels Trumpets, Firespike, Buddlia and Gingers need a hard freeze to knock them back so that I can cut them to the ground and mulch them. That helps them really flourish when spring hits. The last 2 years have fooled them into growth during winter, when the cold weather finally hit they were confused. They were wimpy as heck this year.

Even my Plumerias thought that winter didn't exist. I know that they will be toast within the next couple of years but they have rooted through the pots so strongly that I let them be.

Erin

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 13, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #4079672

Just cut them back anyway...you can lay the foliage over the bases...and they will come back just fine...after an unexpected "freeze "here the Strelizias have been given a fright I guess... they are covered in dozens of the big heads...looks great1
more flowers than I have ever seen on it (the giant one)...I do think some things get a fright and flower more due to that...ha ha ha unfortunately we can't control; the weather! only how we deal with it.:)
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007

Post #4079770

The soil is the same here, except the clay is grey.
How convenient that the yard services bag leaves separately and set them neatly on the curb! It makes it so convenient for pick up! I only have to go 1/2 a block and I'm fixed for leaves. Lasts seasons leaves are nicely baked into a delicious mulch ready for the spreading...That is if I stop picking overtime up at work and spend a bit more needed garden time. I feel moonlight gardening coming on tonight..laalaaallaahaaa
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #4080492

Your garden looks great RJ! I know there are always things to do, but it really does look nice! Just love it!
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2007
3:24 PM

Post #4081499

Rj,...Ready ...get..set...GGooooo...I am ready for Jerry's this coming Friday.LOL...WOW!! got me a neighbor- UniQueTreasures, Beaumont is about 35 min from me..mmm..I would have to look her up...
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #4081875

I'm right here Moodene. (waving atcha!) Come on by and we'll have some iced tea.

I'd love to go check out Jerry's, but at this time of year, I'm wondering where in the heck I'm going to overwinter the plants that I already have. My little deck that gets covered up in plastic is only so big. I've already (at least) doubled the number of plants I have this year. They all fit nicely last year. It may be time to put some shelves out there somewhere so that upper space isn't wasted.

Janet
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #4083270

Oh cool, Ice tea will be just fine with me...I come to Beaumont to go shopping there for groceries and to visit some people there...maybe once a week..LOL...just there on Friday...lol...my boss is a great mechanic who works for the school district in Liberty,Texas. I am his bus service tech and a school bus driver...lol...had to get my Blazer worked on...I am in the middle of getting my hothouse rebuilt due to Rita messing it up some...14 x 20 foot long..lol..so that is where my overwintering plants are going into...
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #4083636

I know I've heard of Devers, but can't for the life of me think where it is. My mind is saying it's out 90 West.

I don't think I'd have enough patience to drive a school bus. I remember how loud it was just being a rider. HAHAHAHA

A Hothouse sounds neat, especially one that big. What type of plants do you grow? Do you like in town or in the country? Any photos of your garden? I love photos. :-)
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #4085686

Wow, was out cleaning the deck, and a rain storm came through with big drops of rain, with the sun back lighting the rain..was very cool looking. Hope we can see it with the pictures resized

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #4085689

The drops kepts getting bigger

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #4085696

didn't rain that long though

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
5:59 PM

Post #4085703

And then...while I was sweeping up branches and nuts from the squirrels, I litteraly found my nose in the orchid, and it smelled soooo good. I never think to smell the orchids anymore since all the others in my garden have no scent. So that was a happy accident

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #4085707

It almost smells like a brug. yuuuummm

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
6:01 PM

Post #4085709

This is a new one too...it's a micro orchid...I almost need a magnifying glass, although I think the fly can see it just fine!

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
6:02 PM

Post #4085710

These gals are winding down now...nice long bloom.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
6:02 PM

Post #4085714

Theres a little face looking back at me!

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #4085769

Fairy angel with her attendant hold the back of her train on her gown.

Lovely.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #4085975

Christi, I see it! So cute!

Great shots RJ!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 15, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #4086269

I see it too Christi! Beautiful RJ! I have one about to go into bloom that I will post when it does...very pretty. All you neighbors are so lucky! I have to travel thousands of miles to see my DG friends! But I sure am looking forward to it!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2007
9:44 PM

Post #4086462

neighbor is a relative word, sweetness. I, too, am excited. Rj are you ready?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
10:39 PM

Post #4086693

heheh..I'm ready...tis the season
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2007
1:05 AM

Post #4087291

Just discovered that we were in error, and don't fly into Hobbie as previously stated, but Houston Int'l...Bush (?!). Hope this doesn't make things any more complicated than originally thought...
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #4087348

Shari? You coming to Texas????
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #4087482

Heyya Janet! I'm going down to Brownsville to spend Veteran's Day with my folks, then up to Colorado for Thanksgiving. I will be in Houston for one day. I wish it could be longer so I could visit everyone without hassel, but alas, not this time. Christi has given me the greatest gift by offering to come to Houston so I can actually get a wonderful LouC hug in person! I am stunned and honored by this wonderful lady! We are going to try to get over to meet RJ. As I said it is only one day...a mere handful of hours, but I am going to enjoy them more than the rest of my "vacation" which will be filled with family obligations, doctor visits and practical stuff. At least until on the way back to Kwaj, when we stop at the Big Island to see Carol...that will be fun too. DG has sure expanded my horizons!!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #4087521

I do hope you can make it over to RJ's. You will be astounded at the Tropical Island he has there in Houston. I am jealous as all get out that you and Christi will get to meet. I wish I could be there also. Oh my, what fun we would all have visiting. I'm afraid you'd most likely be late getting to Brownsville though because we'd all lose track of time. DG has the best folks in the world!

You had better be bringing a parka with you. I saw on the news that I think it was Colorado is having a foot of snow already. So you'll get to have a White Thanksgiving. And then on to Hawaii to visit with Carol. What a lucky gal you are! I wish you many blessings all along your travels and much good weather. Be sure to take some photos of the folks you see to share with us.

Janet
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4087615

No problem re IAH instead of HOU.

I didn't know that about snow in Colorado..have to call my brother in Colorado Springs...

Keep the cold fronts away from Texas!

Boy we had a heck of night with this storm...we had flights divert all over Texas, we're just now getting it cleaned up...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2007
2:20 AM

Post #4087656

The snow would be a treat for us! Sorry you have a mess to deal with RJ!

No Janet - we are stopping in Houston on the way up to Colorado from Brownsville! ha Ha...much as I adore all the DGers, I can't miss Veteran's Day with my Dad.

Yep, I wish you could meet with us too! Gosh, we could have our own round-up! But its for such a short time, that I am astonished Christi and Mike are willing to make the trip - even though I know Texans don't think of that as all that far, it's still a lot of miles to me!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #4087676

Getting exciting Shari...hope you will take lots of pictures of everyone so we can go along on your trip with you...

Beautiful orchids, RJ!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2007
2:35 AM

Post #4087713

Thankyou.

Janet and Connie are the best! My friends grew fond of you guys too!
Wait! let me refer to http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4063486
hehehe...
Are you guys going to this next area rendezvous? I'll be working...
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2007
4:18 AM

Post #4088033

No, don't think so!

I've been repotting plants. Got two out of three trays done, and several of the ones that were in 1 gallon pots into three gallon. Still working on the project RJ!

Sorry you've been having such bad weather to deal with at work! Say hi to all in the neighborhood!

Jeanne
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2007
5:29 AM

Post #4088146

Good job! I actually got the green house cleaned out, now I just need to pressure wash and sanitize it inside and out..

Such is the nature of airlines..theres always a cloud somewhere!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2007
5:40 PM

Post #4089588

Oh my gosh. I'm getting so excited. The airport change is fine. Actually closer to our part of the world than Hobbie. I must be one super, super lucky girl.

LouC
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2007
8:38 PM

Post #4090110

Is she coming in from HNL on continental?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #4090218

Yes she is!☺☺
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #4090685

UniQueTreasures, yes I am right off Hwy 90..I grow anything that doesn't bite me first...mostly tropical stuff...and uncommon stuff as well...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #4090689

hahahahahah. Gotta love it. "She" is lurking Rj.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #4090802

Ahh..but tis I who was found lurking at Jerrys Jungle! Nadine helps Jerry out at the tri yearly Jerrys Jungle sale.
By the way Nadine, varigated stuff...point me out to leafy plants with varigation! oh wow..only a couple of days!

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #4090811

I got this last time. Not much was tagged last time..he had other things going on then.

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #4091139

Love the variagated!
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #4091163

Yes he did since his wife passed away he has more time devoted to what he likes to do...but he told me and the other crew members that he had some new stuff...so we will see if there is anything left after we take our pick...dum de dum...dum dum..de dum...LOL...I do hope his Japanese rooster still has his lady friend-Peanut (that I hatched for that rooster!!) Yep..only how many hours to the countdown of the sale???mmmm Here is the website he had created... http://www.jerrysjungle.com
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #4091271

Yes, I know MIke, who re-did his website...I'm headed over to Mikes this weekend. Do you know Wayne at Zone9?
He, Jerry and Mike all know each other. Wayne lives a couple blocks away from me... so I get lots of first picks...nanana..
plantnutga
Thomasville, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2007
11:05 AM

Post #4092198

RJ you are killing me! Here I live in boring old South Georgia...I have to go online or travel to get fun stuff...

and yet I still get into trouble, where there's a plant nerd there's a way!

;-)
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #4093995

LOL, a random series of lucky events.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2007
7:32 PM

Post #4094039

God doesn't make coincidences or luck. He places each of us where our lives are the most productive...whether we agree or not. The many great things that occur for me on DG are too good to be just dumb luck.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2007
8:03 PM

Post #4094183

I may have met Wayne and just not know it..I get introduced to alot of people at the sale and then I try to remember who they were the next year!..LOL...See ya Friday!!! bright and early...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #4094621

As they say ...it's all good.!

Yes..see you friday.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #4095409

Check out these articles!
Plants Communicate to Warn Against Danger
http://www.livescience.com/animals/071008-plants-communicate.html

New species found in once-lost forest
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20165587/
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4095456

Very interesting!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2007
4:51 AM

Post #4095868

Cool articles, especially the one about plants communicating - thanks for posting.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2007
8:31 PM

Post #4104870

Rj, we had nasty weather Weds. In fact we had a tornado in a nearby county. A friend of mine lives about 5-10 miles from where it was starting to form and he didn't know til I told him about it. lol. Kinda freaked him out.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #4105554

Is that you Cheyrl? I thought about you with that nasty weather.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America