-
AuthorContent
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2007
5:59 PM

Post #4048585

I got two large poppies last May with a coupon from the nursery, Papaver orientale Beauty of Livermere. I planted them immediately, they just sort of sat there, then when the horrible summer heat struck, they just withered away to nothing. Literally. I assumed they were done for.

Now I'm seeing green foliage coming up through the mulch exactly where the poppies were planted. I didn't think to take a pic, and I'm at work right now. Will they completely die out and come back like that in cooler weather, or am I seeing something that couldn't possibly be my poppies?
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #4048637

That would be the new growth from your Oriental Poppy. Here in the NW mine start the new growth about September, after I have removed all of the dead stuff from this years flowering. The picture is from today.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2007
6:36 PM

Post #4048712

I never knew they did that. Maybe I weeded out last year's poppies when they tried to put on new growth about now...

I'm sure that's what they are. How exciting! Thanks, balvenie!
amazar
Eau Claire, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 4, 2007
7:32 PM

Post #4048930

As far as I can tell, that is normal behavior for oriental poppies. By late june they look really ugly. By early august, they appear to be gone. Once the ground starts cooling off in September, they reappear.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America