Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: House Plants as Décor: From Jumbled to Just Right: Great article!

Communities > Forums > Article: House Plants as Décor: From Jumbled to Just Right
bookmark
Forum: Article: House Plants as Décor: From Jumbled to Just RightReplies: 7, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #4051968

This is from a confirmed houseplant hater/killer...they just seem to never be happy in my home...the few that I keep, languish near death all winter, until I boot them to the front porch in the spring... their one purpose in life being that they put on a show all summer on my porch.

I really ought to consider their indoor happiness a bit more...and use them for decor, instead of piling them in the dining room and counting the days till there's no frost.

Good article!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2007
8:29 PM

Post #4052407

**sigh**, I'm the same and need to get the hang of knowing that some plants just belong inside!

By the way, just love the colors on your walls - beautiful along with the plants and all.

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2007
8:32 PM

Post #4052417

Having had cats for most of my adult life, my houseplants went the way of roommates and renting. I enjoyed them while I had them, but definately tended toward the waaay toooo many end of the spectrum. This pleasant article has tons of good information to help houseplant gardeners today keep a handle on things and enjoy their plants and their decor. Great job!
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #4052685

Thank you ladies! I used to have a much worse houseplant problem, when I lived in apartments and rental houses. It is wonderful to be able to put most of them outdoors now!
I am dreading the coming frost though...

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2007
1:32 AM

Post #4053241

You and me both, art_n_garden, I have a 40 year old jade tree that needs to come in and my DH is out of town for more than a week and I have a huge magnificent Brug that needs to come in as well. Moving the jade is a 2 person job. Moving the brug with out knocking the buds off is a serious problem.
I only have one room with good sun and I have way too many plants to fill it. It always looks like a wall of tropical spendor on one end of my bedroom -- where the light is, but that is probably not what you meant by a focal point.

Great article though. I have been glaring at my clutter ever since I read it.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2007 7:33 PM
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #4068506

Oy, I hope he gets back to help! Somehow we have still only had one night of freezing here. I think it was only for a couple minutes, because the plants I had said goodbye to and sacrified to the weather gods really aren't too much worse for the wear. Wasn't there a decade blizzard this time last year??? No complaints here though.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2007
11:54 PM

Post #4069760

I don't think it froze here either after all those dire warnings from the Weather Bureau. I got the jade tree and my huge brug in by just rolling them on wheeled plantforms. The brug had grown so large that it lost quite a few leave and alas buds. But plenty more are left.
My focal point is the windows and French doors facing west. It is a bit large for a focal point. Best consider it a jungle wall.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #4069898

I may have to add 'jungle wall' to my vocabulary! Lol I say it will work as a focal point. :) I think we, as under-Zone 6ers, have permission to bend my rules during the winter months. There's just no way to get all my plants into a plant room right now!

My new idea is keeping someof my houseplants in a guest bathroom tub that has a window that looks into it (weird enough) and no one has ever used the tub and probably won't for the winter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: House Plants as Décor: From Jumbled to Just Right Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
House Plants orchid8 2 Oct 11, 2007 1:17 PM
I got a daisy tree for Mother's day swedishbaby 0 Oct 31, 2007 2:31 PM
How do U clean hoyas or houseplants? JElisabeth 8 Sep 11, 2010 12:48 PM
Pick a back plant-tolmeia Sallie13 0 Sep 6, 2010 7:45 AM
Lilac in OH weezie1052 1 Sep 11, 2010 12:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America