Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Fall 2007 Seed Swap

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

*****SWAP CLOSED*****

Now that the basic garden season is over, most of us are planning on what we want to sow for next year. Would anyone be interested in a seed swap? I'm sure most of us have quite a bit of left over seed as well as alot of seed collected from our gardens. I think the last swap was a success. If you are interested please let me know and I will add your name to the list below. I'll start the swap at 10 people.

SEED SWAP RULES

Let's make the swap 10 packets of seeds for those that don't have alot to share. ALL SEED ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED on or before November 20th. This will give me enough time to sort and send the seed back to you with more than enough time for Winter Solstice. Based upon my experience with other swaps, I will not wait on late entries. If your seed is not in by the above date, I will just mail you back your own seed.

Use a bubble envelope or bubble wrap to send seeds to Anita [my address is in the exchange-Anitabryk2] This swap is open to paid members only;

Here are the postage rates as of today from the USPS.

First-Class Mail, Priority Mail, or Express Mail is required for personal correspondence, handwritten or typewritten material, and bills or statements of account. They may also be used for any mailable item, including advertisements and lightweight merchandise.

First-Class Mail Large Envelope Rates

Weight Not Over
(ounces) - Rates

1 - $0.80
2 - $0.97
3 - $1.14 **most of the packages fell into this price category**
4 - $1.31

For heavier items, see Priority Mail in the Rates and Fees Reference.

First-Class Mail large envelopes are subject to First-Class Mail package rates if any one of the following apply:

It is too rigid does not bend easily

It is not rectangular

It contains items that cause more than 1/4 inch variation in thickness

_____________________________________________________________________________________

o Include 10 different packets of seed; - no more / no less - please

o The amount of seed is whatever you feel comfortable with. If you are looking for guidelines, see the Seed Trading Primer in Extras; http://davesgarden.com/tools/trading_primer/

o Seed must be dried - no fresh seed as they mold

o You can use anything for seed packs, but make sure they won't fall out and tape is not in a location where seeds could stick. The glycine envelopes work best for tiny seeds as opposed to plastic;

o Identify each seed pack with the contents and include your DG name

o Include a mailing label with your own address on it which I will use to mail the items back - so please make it big enough and legible enough for the postman to read.

o Include enough postage based upon the above rates for me to return a package to you.
o I will reuse the bubble envelope you send the seed packs in. Please make sure it is in good shape and will survive the round trip. I have found the 6x9 bubble envelopes work the best.

o Write WS Swap on outside of the envelope sent to Anita.

o Include a list of the seeds enclosed - please. It will make it a bit easier to make sure that everyone gets something different than what they sent.

SWAP PARTICIPANTS -
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 - Anitabryk2
2 - Seandor -rec'd 11/15
3 - DEMinPA - rec'd 10/19
4 - garden6 -rec'd 11/2
5 - carrielamont -rec'd 10/14
6 - grampapa -rec'd 11/2
7 - bluespiral -rec'd 10/29
8 - Trishann -rec'd 11/17
9 - Theresa [GardenPoppy] - rec'd 10/12
10 - dylancgc -rec'd 10/13
11 - frausnow -rec'd 11/1
12 - dmac085 -rec'd 11/1
13 - Illoquin -rec'd 11/12
14 - CapeCodGardener -rec'd 11/16
15 - Lala_Jane -rec'd 11/12
16 - revclaus -rec'd 10/29
17 - bloomheaven -rec'd 11/3

This message was edited Nov 20, 2007 6:08 AM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Can the seeds be used? LOL I mean can they be 2006 or even 2005 seeds? Packed for, I mean. Not a collector YET.

xx, Carrie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Count me in !

Michaela

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

Add me please.

DEMinPA

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I don't see why not Carrie. Shall I add your name to the list?

Welcome aboard Michaela. Glad you are joining DEMinPA. That's an unusual name...Delaware, Minnesota and Pennsylvania?

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

Bouquets Anita~ would love to join as well. Have some flowers that have not set seed yet, but will by that time. I had so much fun last year W/Sing all the fun seeds we received. Thanks for organizing this. Here's W/S petunias.

Thumbnail by garden6
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Very pretty Garden6. Looking forward to your pictures next year!

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks! W/S poppies with W/S heliopsis. A great success for me, as my first poppy blooms ever since moving to the prairie!

Thumbnail by garden6
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, I guess I'm in! This is gonna be my first time in ANYTHING like this - thinking of all the postage I have to buy....

x, C

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Anita. I'm in. Been collecting, drying and sorting all week. fun, fun, fun :0)

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Great Jan! Can't wait to see what you will be swapping!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

They won't let me edit anymore today - I'll add your name tomorrow.

(Zone 7a)

would love to participate - karen

Iola, TX(Zone 8b)

If there is room for me, I would love to join in....
Trishann

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Please count me in. I have some interesting seed....

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

ok - they still won't let me edit the above post, so I'll add it down here until I can...

Just a reminder for everyone that this is a Wintersowing Seed Swap-please don't send any tropical seed or seed that won't survive the concept of wintersowing. If you are unsure, check out the wintersown website [http://www.wintersown.org/ ], look at my lists of what I have successfully w/s [http://www.lakehousecreations.com/winter_sowing.htm ], or know what returns in your yard or volunteers each year without you planting it.

SWAP PARTICIPANTS -
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 - Anitabryk2
2 - Seandor
3 - DEMinPA
4 - garden6
5 - carrielamont
6 - grampapa
7 - bluespiral
8 - Trishann
9 - Theresa
10 -

Mount Vernon, MO(Zone 6b)

Do you still have room for me?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Sure do..

SWAP PARTICIPANTS -
1 - Anitabryk2
2 - Seandor
3 - DEMinPA
4 - garden6
5 - carrielamont
6 - grampapa
7 - bluespiral
8 - Trishann
9 - Theresa
10 - dylancgc

Winterville, GA(Zone 7b)

Anita,
Are you planning on enlarging the list? If so, I'd like to jump aboard.
JoAnn

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I was wondering too:)
Donna

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Gee, me, too.

Suzy

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I don't see why not....welcome aboard.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Anita, my seeds are all ready to go. Here's the DC number: 420 11779 9101 0105 2129 7040 3336 89

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks--I'll get them out to you then:)

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I can't stant it--I would love to be a part of this. Is there still room?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Take my place, if you want.... unless there IS room.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

If you're allowing over 10 Anita I would like to get in, but I understand completely if you're full up. :)

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Oh dear Carrie, thanks for the offer--I couldn't take your place! But thank you.
But IF there is going to be any more room on the swap-list, I would like to be on it.
If otherwise, like Lala_Jane, I understand if the list is already full.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dear Emily, my DD #1 just broke her arm and it seems to one of those drop everything and be a Mom moments. IF, I can manage it, I still would love to be in. Anita hasn't answered whether she'll enlarge her gene pool!

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Carrie, glad that you will keep your place in line! Meanwhile, I'll await news regarding any expansion of the swap-list from Anita.
And finally, I'm sorry to hear about your DD#1. Good thing she has you to help.
--Emily

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh my, Carrie - sorry about DD #1 - will she have her cast off before the holidays?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Right now she doesn't even have a cast, only a sling!!!!!!!!!! She's in a lot of pain and felt really disgusting on Percocet for 2 days. Now they've switched her to Tylenol #3, which she says is better - but don't jiggle her! Tomorrow she's getting a cast. Tonight she's taking a THOROUGH shower.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Emily, SHE's supposed to help ME!. That's why I had girls! LOL!

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Carrie, I had (have) girls too. When does the help kick in?

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

When they have kids of their own. :)

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Sorry - I haven't been home alot this week. Glad to have you on board.

Holy cow Theresa! I got your seed already!! Thanks for being so prompt.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

my pleasure Anita. :)

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Wonderful Anita, thank you so much! I notice there are a few folks on your list that are participating in another swap I'm in so I'll try to find a few different seeds to send so they don't get duplicates from me.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

sounds great Jane

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Does anyone have any interest in grasses? I am an ornamental grass freak....I just love the stuff. I WSd some zebra grass last year that did beautifully and has already reached about 8" tall. It's not mature enough to set plumes yet but I have many others that I could send if there was any interest?

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.