Yorktown Battle, VA - 1781 - Names of Those Who Served

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Has anyone been successful in finding the names of ancestors who served in the Battle (Victory) of Yorktown, VA in 1781?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sorry, I just stumbled in here and saw this. I have. My five times great-grandfather was at Yorktown. The information came from his pension application. Have you checked to see if you ancestor filed one?

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

I have the information of service with the PA Militia, (ancestor- Pvt. Jacob Hegie) who was a member of a Company that was in Yorktown, VA during that time. However, I wanted to know if there is a Yorktown list of those who were present during the months of the seige. Someone said that the College of William and Mary may have such a listing, but I am not sure.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I've never heard of any listing at W&M and don't know how they could have compiled it. You could try contacting them because it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask. Check the pension applications. The ones seeking the pensions often mentioned major battles and campaigns in which they served.

Yorktown wasn't exactly months, more like weeks.

Do you know exactly what unit he served in?

He's not listed as a pensioner here but there is an Adam Hegie
http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/BAH/dam/militaryrevwarpensionindPt1.htm but that doesn't mean he didn't apply. German names often have multiple spellings too depending on the person writing the records.

According to this, no Pa. militia served at Yorktown. So unless he went into some kind of regular unit, he was not there.

"It is known that no Pennsylvania militia served at Valley Forge, Monmouth, or Yorktown. The second type of service was duty on the frontier in Northumberland, Northampton, Bedford and Westmoreland Counties."
http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/BAH/dam/MilitaryRevMilitiaInterface.htm

This message was edited Jun 6, 2008 12:14 PM

This message was edited Jun 6, 2008 12:18 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.