"Serendipity".....flower show in Austin, TX

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Terri asked in d-mail that I post pics of the flower show held today. There were four sections, each with three classes. Bear in mind, I'm a hands-on gardener, not a flower designer. I'm the horticulture classification chairman for the shows. Due to a terrible accident, I had to replace an entrant. Never having done a design, mine fell somewhere between overdone and haven't a clue!
I loved the creativity of the entrants. Will post photos to follow...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

"Serendipity is.....A Secret Garden"

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Secret Garden......

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Secret Garden....

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Secret Garden..

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Serendipity is.....A Tranquil Lake" Oriental, incorparating an expanse of water...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

lake.....

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

lake

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

lake...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Serendipity is...."An Autumn Day" does not includea decorative unit, but must include some fresh plant material placed where needed to aid rhythm, repeat color and conformn to overall degree of formality....

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

autumn....

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

"Serendipity is.....A Reflective Moment" Section B, Class 4

Class 4, 5, & 6 that follow were all Designer's Choice, with freedom of design and plant material, etc.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Reflective..

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Reflective...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Reflective

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Serendipity is....A Junk Store Find......creative design of any syle, incorporating or featuring a treasured object.....

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Junk.....

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Junk......

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Junk...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Serendipity is....A Childhood Memory" Multi-Rhythmic Design, interpreting a childhood adventure, visit to Disneyland, a roller coaster ride, etc.....

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Childhood..

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Childhood...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

childhood

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The petites.....

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

more minis

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

last one....

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Bubbles, thanks for sharing. Which one is yours? My favorite is the 3 (fuji?) white mums in the lake category. I get the "lake" feel the artist was trying to portray....and I can't believe how it was accomplished with only 3 flowers.

Love the way all the arrangements were displayed. I enjoyed the show, but I bet it was a lot of fun in person. Thanks again.

edited for spelling

This message was edited Oct 8, 2007 6:43 AM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Karmaplace.....just getting back to you....

Mine was the...ahem....overdone cat whirligig! 'Came in 3rd. Guess that wasn't too bad for first time (and last time) entry. I love arranging flowers at home, but not for a flower show with a "theme." Was stressful... and expensive!
My favorite was the first pic in the "reflective moment" category. I'm amazed at the creativity of all tho.....

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Bubbles, I don't know which one is the cat whirlgig! Sorry. . . what does that mean? Your favorite is my 2nd favorite!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

''Cat'' is 3rd one in Junk store find category......

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Don't know how I missed the cat. . . duh. Very nice bubbles. . .third place is a great accomplishment!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Bubbles, I am not a person who loves animal figurines, just my taste. However, I love that cat. Is it an antique? I would love to have one, if it is a reproduction, as it is made so well. I love the "jointed" joints. AND, your arrangement is fantastic!! Are you a professional or taken a class or self taught. Karma is trying to help me limp along.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Not knowing flowers well, are those "cattails" in the arrangement. If so, what a great idea. Is there any catnip in it? I think you did wonderful.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, thanks pupil.... I'm not a professional, never taken a class, just do home arrangements. Yes, those are cattails. I wanted pussy willows also, but couldn't find them. The cat was a rather expensive piece of "junk" for the arrangement. I bought it years ago for outside, but it was too delicate to stand up to sun and rain. Glad I finally found a use for it. I didn't enjoy entering the flower show. Had no idea what was expected and felt woefully unprepared. We had to chose a piece we'd find in a junk store and create an arangement around it. Will stick to horticultural entries in future!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

What are horticulture entries? Cat tails and Pussy willows, through in catnip and you have it all covered.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hort entries are growing plants, either in pots, baskets, or cuttings. Cut flowers would be rose stems, flowering shrub stem, any flower, some leaves. Potted plants could be house plants, succulents, orchids, etc. Entries can also be fruits and vegetables grown at home.

london England, United Kingdom

Hi Bigbubbles, thanks so much for sharing the show with us. Well done for all your hard work, and a great arrangement
by you, with the cat very creative!. keep sharing your arrangements with us.

london England, United Kingdom

Hi Bigbubbles, having looked through all the displays again, I think it would be nice to use those themes . I'm sure we could have a go here at some of them, as a way to say 'Thankyou'

What do you think everyone, shall we try some? here's the themes .................

Secret garden

lake

Autumn

Junk

Childhood

Petites

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Great idea. . .will start working on some ideas tomorrow.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Petites

Sorry for the plain vase. . .I don't have anything cute that's also cute.

Edit: What the heck is cute that's also cute? LOL I meant tiny that's also cute.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2007 4:34 PM

Thumbnail by karmaplace

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images