Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Cassia Tree Long Seed Pods ?

Dothan, AL(Zone 8b)

This is my first year growing my Cassia Tree. It is in bloom and these long bean like pods are hanging from the tree.Are these going to be the seeds ? If so when do I harvest them and how to I grow them from Seeds ?

thanks

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, the pods will have seeds in them. (It's like shelling peas or beans). I let the pod turn brown on the plant.

I haven't grow any from seed, so someone else will have to tell you how they did it. I would just throw alittle soil over them in a pot, and keep them misted, myself.
~Lucy

This message was edited Oct 7, 2007 12:16 AM

Dothan, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you Blue. The way this tree is loaded with seeds I'll have alot to share :o)

If it is like my cassia, you won't have to collect any seeds,,, it will grow a few underneath for you.

~Lucy

Dothan, AL(Zone 8b)

My pods are green,but not turning brown yet.About how long does it take ? I will be going out of town in a couple of weeks.With my luck they will seed while I am away.

Slip a old knee high over the pod, or some kind of netting. : )
~Lucy

Dothan, AL(Zone 8b)

I will try the knee high ,that sounds like a good idea.

thanks
linda

Dothan, AL(Zone 8b)

It's been over three weeks and the pods are still green.Does anyone have an idea o how long it takes?

Dothan, AL(Zone 8b)

They are starting to swell and get soft so maybe soon I will have seeds for trade.

Mine have been brown for about 2 weeks now. Maybe yours will follow, soon. : )
~Lucy

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I have some just turning plump and brown and many, many green

chris

Dothan, AL(Zone 8b)

I checked today and they are also getting plump and a few brown ones.Boy the seed pods sure are heavy and my tree limbs are bending. Has anyone grown them from seeds ? Please take a look at the photo and see if you can tell me what kind is it.The photo was taken when it just started to bloom at the end of summer.

Thumbnail by lindakilgore10

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.