Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daturas: GordonHawk, think we have a picoteed dat

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 7, Views: 166
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TexasLou
Hooks, TX

October 8, 2007
12:56 PM

Post #4060453

Gordon and X,
Check out the picture that I took this morning of the plant from the picoteed datura seeds. To me, it looks like the one that Gordon posted of his plant from which the seeds came. In person, it is the double white with the yellow edge. I don't know if it will show up that way in the picture.

Louise

Thumbnail by TexasLou
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TexasLou
Hooks, TX

October 19, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #4099636

Gordon,
I think I have four plants that have the yellow edge. This is the one that bloomed out yesterday. I think it has much more of the yellow edge than any of the others. There is one more plant that will have a bloom fully opened tomorrow and it seems to be much larger than the others.

Louise

Thumbnail by TexasLou
Click the image for an enlarged view.

alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #4099667

Very pretty Louise!
TexasLou
Hooks, TX

October 19, 2007
3:34 AM

Post #4099701

alicewho,
Thanks! It is a very nice triple. I think that this is the one to keep the seeds from to refine the new sport, unless the larger one tomorrow has a good yellow edge also.

I haven't heard from Gordon is a while. I saw somewhere that he had been on a vacation out of the country but is back now. I wonder what results other DGers had with the seeds from his flower.

Louise
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2007
11:32 AM

Post #4100206

Yep! That's Gordon's Picotee! Well done!

X
TexasLou
Hooks, TX

October 20, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #4102529

X,
From the seeds that he sent to me, I shared three plants at the RU in Tyler in Sept.,
gave one to my grand-daughter and kept 6. They have all had the yellow edge. I watched the one that had a larger bud, hoping it would be the one to keep seeds. it was fully open this morning but the yellow (which was a darker yellow) was in splotches in the rim of the outer shell and also on the neck of the bell. I'll watch to see if the coloration smooths out more evenly in the future blooms. It would be the one to get seed from if it did because it was larger and fuller and brighter yellow. The plants will have to come inside in a few days because frost is near.

I still have the seeds that you sent to use for planting next spring.

Louise
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #4104499

That is gorgeous. Can seeds be purchased for that? I would love to try growing that one.
TexasLou
Hooks, TX

October 20, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #4104546

angel_tree_baby,
The last datura seeds that I tried to save got all moldy and ruined. I hope I do better with saving these. Gordon wants some of the seed and I'm sure that, with getting things right this time (I hope) there will be enough for him, for myself and to share. I'll let you know later when I hear from him. This was a trial run for this unusual sport from one of his plants.

Louise

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America