-
AuthorContent
scottsmom
Point Phillips , PA
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2007
1:58 PM

Post #4060673

A year ago we purchased a full grown crepe myrtle. It was a beautiful accent plant. Four strong trunks that reached 6' high and when it bloomed, it was glorious. Winter came, winter went. Everything in the yard leafed out but Myrtle. She just stood there. I said give her time, she's a southern belle and may be a late starter. Oops, we were out mowing and bumped one of the trunks, it broke off below ground level. Ditto for the rest. A week later we decided to dig Myrtle up and return her to the place of purchase. She had a one year warantee. My husband started chopping away at the soil and luckily I was out with him. Stop! You're killing her! You guessed it. Those little red shoots were making their way out of the root ball. We now have a shrub that's waist high and covered with blooms. Myrtle doesn't know it yet but she'll be getting a haircut following Dave's instructions.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

October 8, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #4060693

I'm so glad you were able to save her! They are so resilient they just wont die. I'm guessing you should have a beautiful tree next year. Wait on the haircut till spring and by next summer she will be on her way to becoming one tall regal beauty! Good Luck!
Joyce

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Crepe Murder Mystery Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
your murdered crepe myrtle sunbug1 17 Oct 11, 2007 3:26 PM
Starting an Ireal Garden. boswell 3 Oct 8, 2007 11:19 PM
Thanks pupilpropogtr 2 Oct 8, 2007 9:51 PM
Mother's Day Crepe Myrtle Vipslady 0 Oct 9, 2007 4:41 AM
transplanting a crepe myrtle tubbyjoe 1 Jul 25, 2008 12:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America