Photo by Melody

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: Golden gardening opportunities...

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 8, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2007
2:21 PM

Post #4060763

Every parent is missing a golden opportunity to get their children hooked on the magic and mystery of gardening if they don't let them experiment with plants grown from kitchen foods.

We did the sweet potato speared on toothpicks ~ fascinating to watch the roots form in the brown jar on the windowsill. Carrot tops growing from the cut top of a carrot, the same can be done with beet or turnip tops. Many unusual items in the produce dept will sprout and develop into curious plants. Now, nearing 60, I still find myself doing that. I have grown ginger, coffee beans, pepper vine. When growing up, my brother tucked grapefruit seeds into Moms' African violet pots. When they sprouted my Mother extorted the ID from us and potted them separately. She kept the grapefruit as a houseplant for years in a place of honor in the living room. I now have two large Grapefruit trees in pots started from seed. Totally useless, but interesting. Of course a pineapple has been grown to various stages too.

Thanks for the insight on the memories of youth and my introduction to growing plants. 8 )
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #4061187

I agree that starting kids early with some simple kitchen garden projects will help instill a sense of wonderment that can last a lifetime. It certainly worked in my case!

Thanks for the comments!

Jeremy
Lowmank
El Paso, TX

October 8, 2007
5:40 PM

Post #4061571

I think this is my first post. I'd like to thank you for starting my day off to a great start. I had just brought my two-year-old down and found this in my in box. I'm really new to gardening and I have to keep everything in pots, but my daughter loves my Banana tree and some of the other things I've got going on. (the Lion's Tongue cactus is her favorite, she calls it "owlch!") Thanks to you, we're about to go get some terracotta and chow down on a pineapple, maybe we'll try something else!

Thanks,

Jesse
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2007
6:06 PM

Post #4061665

I tried this this summer and I've got a plant just starting to grow. I am glad to hear that they can take it down to 28F. The instructions I read on the internet said to keep it above 60F but I wondered if that was really necessary. I have found that for many things where the so-called minimum temperature is in the 50-60F range will do just fine with nights in the 30s and 40s as long as it warms up beyond that minimum range during the day.

Do you have any idea how much heat they can take? Heat is much more an issue here than cold.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2007
6:19 PM

Post #4061739

Agree whole heartedly - and now I've got to remember this for the grandbaby. I never did try a pineapple - other stuff yes, but not a pineapple. Well, now I will !!

Great article Jeremy - thank you.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2007
8:05 PM

Post #4062046

Glad to know you found some inspiration in the article, Lowmank! I would suggest the cut off sweet potato for you and your daughter -- they really make a big, beautiful plant fast from just a few "eyes" on the potato, and are very easy to grow in just water.

I think the pineapples probably don't have much of an upper temperature limit. I would just be careful about subjecting the plants to too much sun for too many hours a day. They would probably appreciate a few hours of filtered sun, partial shade (as do my plants).

Pineapples are typically grown in the most tropical areas of the world where the temperature remains about the same year round. Most of the pineapples sold in the U.S. come from Hawaii. Here's some factoids lifted from a website about other areas of the world where pineapples are grown:

Pineapple Production Concentrated
In Tropical Regions of the World
The pineapple is believed to have originated in
southern Brazil and Paraguay and was spread by the
Indians to other parts of South and Central America.
The Spanish and English explorers, however, were
responsible for the introduction of this once rare fruit
to other parts of the world. Because pineapples grow
and yield best in areas with warm and relatively
uniform climate year round, current production
remains restricted to the tropical regions of the world.
Presently, approximately 80 countries around the
world harvest a total of 32 million pounds of
pineapples each year, more than double the average
produced during the 1970s. Many of these producing
countries have little presence in the world market as
most of their production is intended for domestic
consumption. Nearly three-quarters of world supplies
are produced in Thailand, the Philippines, Brazil,
China, India, Costa Rica, Nigeria, Kenya, Mexico,
and Indonesia (fig. 3). Among these top 10 producers,
Costa Rica, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, and
Kenya gear a significant proportion of their
production towards international markets. Their
combined exports of fresh, canned, and juice
pineapple products comprise far more than half of
world export supplies.

Thanks for your interest!

Jeremy
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 8, 2007
8:39 PM

Post #4062136

Jeremy, I just went through my pics to see if I had one of my pineapples, found it, got back on here...and discovered we can't post pics on these threads! I know I live in a tropical area, so its probably not fair of me to brag, but we plant the top of every pineapple we eat...I also trim the brown bits off of the leaves occasionally to keep the plant an attractive one. but that is completely unnecessary. Good luck to all pineapple growers! Thanks for the great encouraging article Jeremy!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #4062150

I tried this twice, and thought the brown leaves meant I had failed...drat! I've been eyeing the fragrant yellow pineapples at the grocery store lately--maybe I'll try again. I was stationed in Hawaii for four years, and it was always a delight to see the acres of pineapples growing in the Dole fields! Thanks for all the info, Jeremy!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #4062760

IslandShari -- post your pineapple pix in the bromeliad forum, and then post the link here. I'm sure we would all enjoy seeing the photos (I certainly would!).

A bit of brown edges or leaves does not a pineapple failure make. (Did Ben Franklin say that? Maybe he should have. LOL)

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM
PINEAPPLE PLANT FLASHKY 3 Oct 10, 2007 1:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America