Photo by Melody

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: Pot size?

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 3, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #4061020

I successfully started a pineapple top about a year ago, and I know it's in a too-small pot. What's the ideal size pot for one to actually thrive and bloom? And should I upgrade gradually, or is the all-at-once approach OK?
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2007
3:54 PM

Post #4061180

Like most bromeliads, I don't think that pineapples have a very extensive root system. You will note the nursery grown pineapple for the florist trade photo in my article that shows a pineapple successfully grown in a 6 inch plastic pot. It was probably grown, though, in absolutely ideal conditions and plenty of fertilizer.

I think a clay pot or planter that is larger in diameter than height would work best -- for greater stability of the heaviness of clay pots versus plastic, and to provide a wide, flat bottom since the pineapple plant will tend to be top-heavy, especially when in fruit.

The ideal pot would probably be a round clay planter about 8 inches in diameter and about 6 inches tall (if such a pot exists, it is probably called a "cactus pot" or "bulb planter"). A plastic pot of these dimensions would probably also work to provide enough stability.

Good drainage will be the most important consideration in the soil used. Potting soil with a good portion of sand added should do well.

Thanks for your interest! Show us a photo of your pineapple plant!!

Jeremy
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #4081300

Jeremy:

Fortunately, I'm a potter, so since what you've described is not too huge, I should be able to make it!

I don't seem to be able to post a picture on this "article" forum... I took one, but there's nowhere to attach it :-( !!

Janet
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2007
1:49 AM

Post #4083564

Hi, Janet -- a craftsperson of my own heart. I was going to be a potter in middle school years when I had an excellent teacher (Marilyn Taylor) that greatly inspired me. But, alas, I was steered into theater in high school and pursued that even more dubious career choice instead. LOL

Yep, to attach a photo, you must start a new thread and attach it with the first post, which you are welcome to do.

I dabbled with the thought of getting into bonsai, but quickly began to realize how difficult it is to find excellent bonsai dishes. You certainly can't go to a big box garden center to find anything remotely appropriate. I just recently saw an announcement for an upcoming show of handmade bonsai pots, but now have no idea in what corner of my chaos that I filed that bit of information. I would think there would be a ready market for nicely styled bonsai pots for anyone interested in making them.

Thanks for your interest~

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM
PINEAPPLE PLANT FLASHKY 3 Oct 10, 2007 1:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America