Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: Pot size?

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 3, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #4061020

I successfully started a pineapple top about a year ago, and I know it's in a too-small pot. What's the ideal size pot for one to actually thrive and bloom? And should I upgrade gradually, or is the all-at-once approach OK?
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2007
3:54 PM

Post #4061180

Like most bromeliads, I don't think that pineapples have a very extensive root system. You will note the nursery grown pineapple for the florist trade photo in my article that shows a pineapple successfully grown in a 6 inch plastic pot. It was probably grown, though, in absolutely ideal conditions and plenty of fertilizer.

I think a clay pot or planter that is larger in diameter than height would work best -- for greater stability of the heaviness of clay pots versus plastic, and to provide a wide, flat bottom since the pineapple plant will tend to be top-heavy, especially when in fruit.

The ideal pot would probably be a round clay planter about 8 inches in diameter and about 6 inches tall (if such a pot exists, it is probably called a "cactus pot" or "bulb planter"). A plastic pot of these dimensions would probably also work to provide enough stability.

Good drainage will be the most important consideration in the soil used. Potting soil with a good portion of sand added should do well.

Thanks for your interest! Show us a photo of your pineapple plant!!

Jeremy
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #4081300

Jeremy:

Fortunately, I'm a potter, so since what you've described is not too huge, I should be able to make it!

I don't seem to be able to post a picture on this "article" forum... I took one, but there's nowhere to attach it :-( !!

Janet
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2007
1:49 AM

Post #4083564

Hi, Janet -- a craftsperson of my own heart. I was going to be a potter in middle school years when I had an excellent teacher (Marilyn Taylor) that greatly inspired me. But, alas, I was steered into theater in high school and pursued that even more dubious career choice instead. LOL

Yep, to attach a photo, you must start a new thread and attach it with the first post, which you are welcome to do.

I dabbled with the thought of getting into bonsai, but quickly began to realize how difficult it is to find excellent bonsai dishes. You certainly can't go to a big box garden center to find anything remotely appropriate. I just recently saw an announcement for an upcoming show of handmade bonsai pots, but now have no idea in what corner of my chaos that I filed that bit of information. I would think there would be a ready market for nicely styled bonsai pots for anyone interested in making them.

Thanks for your interest~

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM
PINEAPPLE PLANT FLASHKY 3 Oct 10, 2007 1:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America