Photo by Melody

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: My pineapple pic

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 9, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 8, 2007
8:44 PM

Post #4062148

Hi all,
Just realized I could post a pic if I started a new thread - so here ya go! This one is about 4 months old.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #4062157

Aha! Shari, you're a genious for figuring out the pic-posting secret! Thanks for sharing it--and the picture of your beautiful, healthy pineapple plant.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 8, 2007
10:01 PM

Post #4062401

I have two others at the moment...one I planted about a year ago, and one is only a month in the pot. When they are nice and pretty, I give either a pineapple plant or an aloe to newcomers to the island...get them started gardening...and both are useful in their way.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #4062802

Very healthy looking pineapple, IslandShari. And I'm glad you found a way to post a photo.

Interesting that you offer the pineapples to newcomers to the island. Pineapples have become an international symbol of welcome. From the information I came across while researching for this article, the custom grew from the areas of South America where the pineapples were most likely originally found. The people there would plant pineapple plants on either side of their door (maybe just to have them handy?). The visitors to the area saw the pineapples at the door as a sign of welcome, and the symbolism grew from there. That's one theory, anyway, but I don't think you can go too far wrong by offering someone a fresh pineapple, and are even more likely to win a new friend by offering a pineapple plant.

When I sold my last house, I left a fruit basket in the kitchen with a pineapple as the centerpiece of the arrangement of fruits. The new owners may not have fully understood the symbol of the pineapple as "welcome," but I felt good about doing it. Maybe it's a new custom we can all begin to use when leaving a home to new owners?

Jeremy
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #4062911

What a nice idea! I see Hawaii isn't the only place with the "aloha spirit".
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 9, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #4063338

It's funny - but the pineapple is mentioned in the article I am writing right now...How does one eat a pineapple?! Can you just imagine the explorers first glimpse at this beautiful but intimidating fruit???
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
4:31 AM

Post #4063849

LOL, imagine taking a bite of it like an apple--OUCH!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 9, 2007
4:56 AM

Post #4063896

Exactly!!! LOL!!!
CHudnall
Sebring, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #4073733

When I sold my last house, I left a fruit basket in the kitchen with a pineapple as the centerpiece of the arrangement of fruits. The new owners may not have fully understood the symbol of the pineapple as "welcome," but I felt good about doing it. Maybe it's a new custom we can all begin to use when leaving a home to new owners?

What a wonderful thing to do Jeremy! And that sounds like a grand custom/tradition to start!.

When they are nice and pretty, I give either a pineapple plant or an aloe to newcomers to the island...get them started gardening...and both are useful in their way.

Shari - that too is a great idea - what a wonderful welcome! :-)
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #4074352

We try! ☺

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
PINEAPPLE PLANT FLASHKY 3 Oct 10, 2007 1:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America