Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: PINEAPPLE PLANT

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 3, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FLASHKY
Boston, KY

October 8, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #4062308

I ALSO PLANTED A PINEAPPLE FROM THE TOP OF A GROCERY STORE PINEAPPLE, I HAD IT ON THE KITCHEN TABLE IN WINTER TO AN OUTSIDE SOUTHERN FACING PORCH FOR 7 YEARS! THE STALKS WERE ALMOST 3 FT LONG. THEN WE BUILT A LOG HOUSE, MOVED INTO IT IN THE FALL. I HAD AN UPSTAIRS LOFT THAT ONLY GOT LATE AFTERNOON SUN. IT LIVED UP THERE FOR NEXT 2 FALLS, THEN IN THE SPRING IT GOT A BROWNISH FEATHERY BUY STRAW-LIKE CENTER, I ASSUMED IT WAS GOING TO BE FRUIT, THEN IT JUST STARTED TO DIE. THE LONG STALKS WERE HANGING OFF, I HAD THEM TIED UP AND STAKED TO A SMALL TRELIS TO KEEP IT FROM UPROOTING.
I THEN PUT IT OUTSIDE ON MY EAST DECK AND IT TURNED BROWN STALK BY STALK AND DIED. I WAS SO SAD. I WAITED 7 YRS AND IT WAS A PART OF OUR HOME FOR SO LONG. I HAVE ANOTHER ONE IN A POT ON AN EAST PORCH, NOT IN DIRECT SUN. CAN I PLANT THEM IN THE GROUND IN KY (ZONE 6) 30 MILES STH OF LOUISVILLE? I HATE TO LOSE ANOTHER
THANKS
SUSIE
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #4062870

Hi, Susie. Sorry to hear of the loss of your long-term pineapple. The plant must have truly felt like an old friend, but it seems to have given you a lot of pleasure and interest while you had it around, which is about as much as any of us can expect from a plant (or a person or pet, for that matter!) I have a few plants to which I'm also very sentimentally attached. I would really hate to lose my Pony Tail Palm (Beaucarina recurvata) that I found as a bare root skinny thing tossed out by some former occupants of the house where I now live. I discovered it laying by the front door when I moved in. It had probably survived the previous winter out of a pot and with no care. The two of us seem like survivors and go together well in this old house.

As for growing pineapple outdoors in Kentucky, I doubt a pineapple could survive the winter unprotected (without a well-insulated cold frame/mini-greenhouse). I found a way to get some of my plants -- those that are pushing the zone and are really meant for more tropical locales further south -- through the winter (temperatures here reach about 28 F for a few nights). I look for large. old leaky aquariums that people toss out. I cap the aquarium down over the tender tropical plants. Works just like a small greenhouse (and doesn't cost anything!!). During the summer months, I can use the upside down aquariums as garden tables to set pots on, but then I don't mind a hand-me-down clutter in my mixed up garden. LOL I especially like the large octagonal 30 or 40 gallon aquariums -- those are a joy to find, and it doesn't matter if they leak for the purpose of using them as a temporary greenhouse.

I'm not sure this method would bring your pineapple plant through a Kentucky winter, but it might be worth. If you start the bromeliad top early in the year (just after the first frost), and let it grow until freezing temperatures are expected, then cap it with an aquarium... who knows, you might be the only Kentuck with a pineapple plantation!

One other tip I would provide is that you can probably give your pineapple plant about as much full sun as you can in your more northern climate. It will benefit by good bright light.

Jeremy
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #4065254

Darn--I guess we Kentucky people (and anyone not in the warm zones) had better have a big, sunny spot for one indoors, right?

*waving at Suzie from Campbell county!*
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #4066730

Indoors would work best for winter (they can actually be placed in a sort of dormancy by reducing the water and amount of sunlight until warm temperatures return outdoors, but this may delay the blooming even longer). Just be sure to give the pineapple a summer vacation outside in the warmth and sun.

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America