Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Zone Gardening: where are you

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 26, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #4066690

Recently had to ask about my Texas friends and they came out of the woodwork.

Where are you...on vacation...just shy?...come on guys...I love this thread and look forward to it everyday of my life.

Guess this is my fantasy life...what was the tv show?...Fantasy Island? Didn't care much for the show but I still love the concept.

Get with it...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 10, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #4066709

The Plane !...The Plane!
Didn't you just love it?

stand back and I will call them for you

COOOOOO_EEEE!!!!!
OIH- LouC says come out come out wherever you are!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #4066713

You are a love, Chrissy.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2007
5:13 AM

Post #4067362

You called?
Been hanging out reading about all the beautiful tropical gardens...wish I could do so well - and I live in the tropics! LOL!
Spent this week painting the room we made from the garage...sick to death of the sight of yellow paint, and I still have to do the highest walls up at the apex of the roof! Probably won't be able to finish this week as I have to take the old folks for their bloodwork, and then both of them have doctors appointments - then comes work on Friday and Saturday! Don't suppose I shall ever be caught up...Do you hear the weeds out in the garden growing?
Still, if and when I get done we will have space for any of you guys who would like to come for a visit to Maui...Christy, you coming?
Warmest Aloha to all...
Jenny
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #4067970

This is one of those days that I feel like running away...don't be surprised.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 10, 2007
1:26 PM

Post #4067983

What's up LouC ?...where you going to run to?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #4068040

hahahaha, Chrissy. MIL is almost 90...I got a PC for her about 4 years ago. She is still very alert and has picked it up really well. However, we have frequent lessons 3+ hours long on the phone as I walk her through various things. She lives on a lake about 75 miles from us and absolutely refuses to even consider moving. Has been on dial-up all this time.
Two weeks ago DSL became available from her server. Had to order the product on line and they shipped it. Today I will go there to install it and set everything up. Don't think it will be difficult but sometimes (most of the time) she is. Married to her son since 1961 and I still don't measure up. We even have 2 children, 3 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild.
You'd think by now she would let up on me. Nuff said...in fact...way too much said.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 10, 2007
1:57 PM

Post #4068074

Doncha know no one is good enough for one's son *giggling*
I am sure she thinks the World of you... but is just keeping you in your place ...good luck and have fun with it!...you must be clever!

Goodnight LouC have a lovely day (((HUG)))
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
1:59 PM

Post #4068083

Gotta get going...night, night Chrissy.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 10, 2007
9:19 PM

Post #4069259

Well, now that everyone else is gone, I finally have time to post a "Howdy all!". I too, like Jenny have been very busy. Cooking today for bride and groom to be. If they like, then I will start in earnest and fill the island freezers. Getting articles done for while I am gone. Had some VIP's want in the shop yesterday so opened at 1:00, then normal hours at 5:00. They spent $450, though, so it was definately worth opening. Trying to get volunteers set up for a Special Christmas Sale we are having on the 6th of November...and gotta collect decorations for that, plus trying to get some orders in before I go, so they don't overwhelm DD while I'm gone. Not enough time in a day, and still everything happens at once!

Sleep well everyone, and hopefully I will be able to talk to you soon.

Yokwe,
Shari

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 11, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #4069831

Wow Shari getting ready for the wedding ...good luck mate! I will be thinking of you.
chrissy
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 11, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #4070202

Ta Chrissy! Fixing B&G dinner tonight with "tastes" of some of the items I think we will be doing...of course, their's is the final ok. ha ha. Really appreciated your help to my SOS on the recipe forum.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #4075600

We have had some rainless days in an otherwise soggy month...so I have been out butchering weeds!!! with horrible toxins. Also pruning all my brugs, thinning out Arecas, and getting ready for the trip to NZ putting the gh in shape. Sorry I haven't been chatty...but I do get on an read...

You guys are too much fun to stay away too long.

Carol
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #4075609

I'm gonna get lost the next couple of days. The weather is in that perfect Fall phase that won't last very long. We go from summer to winter and Fall is less than a week.
Just got Bro Iz going on the wireless speakers so I 'm gonna be in fantasy land today.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #4078621

Weather here is Summer,summer, and maybe few hours of spring as it goes by with a blink of an eye then back to summer...winter here is mild...I did wear shorts last year in Dec...
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 13, 2007
5:31 PM

Post #4078867

HI Everybody,

The weather here has started to cool off so I've been out working on my back hill. Three trips to the dump in two weeks - two for tires which I then remove the sidewalls from and turn inside out before "planting" on the hillside. I "should" wash them and paint them terra cotta color but it takes too much time. It's planting time here and my little macadamia nut trees and papayas are demanding to be put in the ground soon. I have seven seedling for bushel gourds coming up and they will soon cover all my sins (I hope).

In my mind, I have begun to plan a water fall out of blue bottles and sea glass for a troublesome spot in my entry way. So many projects, so little energy!

Keep the comments (and pictures) coming. The forums here keep me inspired and encouraged.

Katiebear
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2007
8:00 PM

Post #4079220

Katie, do you have any pictures of your projects?

Admire your fortitude very much.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
11:25 PM

Post #4079732

As do I! Those Mexican hills can be torture on a shovel or hoe, let alone a back! Be very careful not to overdue Katie! Your projects will all get done eventually if you take your time, if you try to do too much all at once, some may never get done!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 13, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #4079759

No pictures. Yet. I'm still a newbie on computers so while I do have adigital camera I haven't learned how to useit yet - those darn tires keep eating up my time.

I have a teenage friend who knows a lot about computers so I may ask for his help.

I think what you kindly call my fortitude is more like whoever said "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you."

katiebear

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 13, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #4079774

Hi Sheri,
ted while I was typing.

My good friend Tony who is young enough to be my son, is currently bedridden with a bad back. He was originally hurt breaking up a rock wall with a short-handled sledge hammer (provided by his employer - I still get mad when I think about it).

I ripped a tendon in my ankle a couple of years ago and it took forever to heal. I have learned hard. So I take lots of breaks and quit when I'm tired. I remind myself that if I fall on a steep hill with lots of rock piles I'm going to be in a lot of trouble.

katiebear

I
You pos
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #4079788

Well I'm sorry your friend is hurt...backs can be so painful! But if it keeps you mindful of the possible dangers, then maybe it wasn't in vain. Good luck with the tire planting!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2007
5:13 AM

Post #4080620

Sounds like a huge project to me - we would love to see pics...
Are you using the tires as planters, or for terracing, or both?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 14, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #4081389

Hi - Thanks for the responses. I'm just haveing coffee before going out to work again so I'll tell you a bit about what Ii'm doing.

The site tirecrafting.com has a lot of information and ideas. I have the owner's book and videotape. So I make planters which everyone thinks are terra cotta and I use them for terracing. My arroyo (hill) goes up and down from side to side so it is not as straight forwward as if it were bulldozed (nature is so much less neat sometimes) so I need as many ready-to-go tires (i.e. sidewall cut out and flipped inside out) sooo's to be able to find the right size for the spot where I'm working. As I work I have to figure out which are for paths (rocks) and which are for plants (soil).

An additonal problem is that the soil is very dry and has almost no humus (I'm adding compost and other amendments as I go when I have them) so it's mostly sand and rock with the occasional broken glass or small cactus (watch your step!). This means in places it it like ice to walk on and minor landslides happen all the time.

Which brings me to the story of the hill: In the mid-50's the captain of the port here (we're a small port on the Sea of Cortez) bought this land. It was a very small hill top with the road in front (south) and arroys on the other three sides. Several locals have told me how this man would go with his wheelbarrow accross the road to the dirt and sand that had been piled up when the bulldozed the road. He brought load after load day after day and substantially increased the size of the hilltop.

In one of my recent trips to the dump I found a beat-up old metal wheelbarrow. I plan to make a planter to put out fron as a tribute to this man. He was a real worker and they are getting harder and harder to find.

I've been told some of the Americans call my place "Sandford and Son" and I have thought of putting up a sign to that effect. I always thought their place looked like it would be a fun place to live. I call my orchard and other plants "Darwin's Garden."

My plans to go north are on hold because of Tony's back going out so I don't know when I'll be able to get the sprouted coconuts from Shari. But knowing that there are people here who will do that kind of thing for me is wonderful

Thank you all for being here.

Now my hill is calling me and I must go to work.

Katiebear
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 14, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #4081479

Just reread what I wrote and need to clarify: I make planters with the tires and I use the tires (not the planters) for terracing. I do plant things in the terraced tires and if I washed and painted them they, too would look like terra cotta (sign, someday). Right now they still kind of look like tire but soom they will be covered with gourds and other plants.

Katiebear
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2007
4:18 PM

Post #4081637

Wow! Your land has become a labor of love for you - you must post some pics!

What a neat story about the Captain and HIS labor of love too, and how wonderful to find that old wheelbarrow! I think his spirit must visit to watch you caring for his old home...

Aloha

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 14, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #4082432

That bit of land must be steeped in good vibes your project sounds fabulous...we use tyres that way too...don't hurt yourself.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 15, 2007
4:47 AM

Post #4084177

I also like the story of the Captain...its so fun to know that kind of history about a place, and I think your tribute to him will bring lots of positive karma to your efforts. This is a great story, and I'm sure we will all want occasional updates on your progress. Good going girl!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America