Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pashsoapmakers
Plant City, FL

October 11, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #4072540

The peels I just got in are chopped and very hard. I ground it up and put into my soap, could I have put it in warm water and drain and use it that way? My concern is, would it turn hard once the soap dries? I don't want to tear anyone's skin off.
Thanks
renwings
Sultan, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #4072635

From my experience with botanicals in soap, once the soap has cured, the botanicals will have pretty much the same coarse texture they did before you added them to the soap. Although the warm, damp mixture will soften them and may cause a little bleeding while the soap cures. I think if you soaked them in warm water it would increase your drying time and make the bar look strange as the soap absorbs the water from the botanical. One of my first bars I added some kind of damp green botanical (can't recall it's been a while) and it really ended up looking gross and took forever to cure.

Some people love rough soap!! Some really do not. I guess it depends on what you are making it for. Soaps for the hands like a gardener's bar are soaps that I like to have a rough scrubbing texture.
pashsoapmakers
Plant City, FL

October 11, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #4072689

I ground them really fine, so I guess that will make a better bath bar for exfoliating.
pinkpoodlegirl
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #4076420

I used ground orange peel in my last soap and it turned the soap orange. It was not horrible but I don't know if I would do it again. I am one that like a little roughness in my soap. I loved the peppermint that I put poppy seeds in. It made the soap speckled and is gave it some exfoliating power...it is a good soap to wake up to in the morning.
pashsoapmakers
Plant City, FL

October 19, 2007
6:14 PM

Post #4101399

My dried orange peel didn't make the soap orange, the orange essential oil makes it a little yellow, not like the lemon but very nice. For my peppermint I used peppermint leaves.
stumpenursery
Florence, AL

December 29, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #4336451

What kinda soap are you making pashsoapmakers?
pashsoapmakers
Plant City, FL

December 30, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #4339201

CP, olive oil based

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 10 Jun 30, 2014 10:21 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America