Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts: Are you a scrapbooker/gardener/recycler?

Communities > Forums > Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts
bookmark
Forum: Scrapbooking and Paper CraftsReplies: 7, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
prettypeony
Birmingham, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2007
1:53 PM

Post #4075073

I came across a big box of old record albums at a garage sale for $1. I recycle the records into retro flower pots. You just turn your oven on to about 200 degrees, put in a medium sized glass bowl upside down, then lay the record album over the top, and let it be for a couple of minutes until it has softened and relaxed over the shape of the bowl. Then using pot holders, take out the record and hold it in place a few seconds until it becomes hard again. It has a built in hold in the bottom for drainage. I use them for flower pots and for holding stuff in my craft room (mainly paint bottles).

I am also a scrapbooker and do swaps or RAKs and needed a large thin box to send a layout in. So I decided to use the album cover for that purpose. I just wrapped it in brown paper, added addresses and took it to the post office.

Hows that for a recycling project?

If anyone visiting this site would like to chat about scrapbooking, or do an exchange of "scrapbooking items or stamped card images you haven't used, probably never will, but that are in perfect shape" please post or d-mail me.

Ruth

If anyone wants a picture of the recycled flower pot, please post and i will take a pic.
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2007
2:07 PM

Post #4075122

I think I saw that on DIY one morning or hgtv. That is a great idea, I think I will try making some. You could use them all over the house. I have a stack of records, sitting here collecting dust and are of no use to me. I used to be married to a record collector ;(
I would like to make a braclet out of a 45 too.
I am a scrapper too. Am about to start on one for me and hubby. Most of the stuff is related to college football and if you have any idea on how to display our tickets, that would be great. I found a scrapbook at goodwill but it is spiral bound and I think I'd rather do post bound so the pages can be protected.
Nice to meet you!

Susan
prettypeony
Birmingham, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2007
2:24 PM

Post #4075182

Susan: How do you make a bracelet out of a 45?

I use 3-ring binders for all my scrapbooking. I absolutely detest taking out the postbound spine if I want to change/add to the album. Personally, I use more 8 1/2 x 11 binders because I have of one picture only categories that just wouldn't fill up the 12x12 pages enough. If I have several on one subject I just make more pages. It doesn't allow you to make side by side pages, but I don't care. I think it is much easier for people to look at your album. Just my personal preference.

How to display your tickets? If you don't want to destroy something by glueing, etc., then just put them in a little clear ziplog baggie (you can get little ones at craft stores), and attach the baggie to the page with a football brad, etc.

Footballs are easy to make 3-D embellishments with. If you have Microsoft Word, just go to Insert Clipart and put in football and there are lots of pics to choose from. Use a plain football or a helmet, etc. and print it 2 x the number of embellishments you want. Cut them out and put a pop dot between them and attach them to your layout with double-side adhesive tape. I've also make little deco squares using small pics (like a football player) on them. My family is not into sports, so I never have sports layouts to do, but I think they could be fun.

Ruth
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #4076351

Here's the link for the bracelet. I saw it on DIY one day and thought it was cute.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_clothing/article/0,2025,DIY_13751_4630887,00.html
If I would have know it was such a pain, I never would have bought a post bound album! I still have 2 that I made when I was a teen. The other one I have is spiral like a notebook. I guess it would save on paper if I already had the pages there.
Thanks for all the great ideas for the tickets and football related stuff. I hope to get started on it soon. I've been weeding the past 2 days and nothing else is getting done! LOL!

Susan
prettypeony
Birmingham, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #4076572

Susan, most people put their work in post bound albums, it's just my preference to do it with 3-ring-binders. And you can start out with a cheap school binder and then when you get enough layouts that you want to show them off more, you can look for a fancier, more expensive binder.

Today I am working on some homemade halloween embellishments, mostly pumpkins. I'll take a pic of them later and post it.

Ruth
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #4076853

Do you have Dollar Tree stores there? They have scrapbook supplies, I especially like the clear sheets for pages, pack of 10 for $1. I always buy more stickers there too.
Can't wait to see the pics.
Have a good night,
Susan
prettypeony
Birmingham, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4077228

Here are some things I made today to work with in Halloween layouts. It's not a good picture and cut off some things, but you can get the idea. I love making embellishments by cutting out click art and putting two of the same together for a 3D. I'm running out of pop dots. When I travel to my daughter's (2 hours away) I always stop at a Dollar Tree. I once found real looking stamps of a german shepherd dog and another dog. They have packages of square pop adhesives that I like to use on bigger things. I need some more of them. I have gotten some stickers there, too. Also some of their cheap little 6x6 or 8x8 scrapbooks to make mini scrapbooks as gifts.

Well, it's 9:25 pm and DH has already went to bed, so I better head there myself.

Ruth

Thumbnail by prettypeony
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #4087501

Good job! I love pumpkins and have that poem about them sitting on a fence from when my son was in 1st grade. He's in 3rd now and they don't make all the cute stuff they did when he was younger. But we still do a lot of crafts at home.
I bought a mini scrapbook to make for my mil but haven't started on it yet. I have too many projects going at once and wonder if I'll ever get caught up! LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Digital Scrapbooking 4xthefun 28 Nov 20, 2012 2:29 PM
How to...handmade cards? jh_gardens 37 Aug 22, 2009 12:50 AM
Anyone know how to make seed embedded paper, fancy and cute? branka 10 Apr 20, 2008 9:14 PM
Links for card designs?? ggd 9 Jul 29, 2008 1:53 PM
Card Making ggd 28 Apr 17, 2010 7:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America