Maintaining gravel areas/walkways

Austin, TX

My garden makeover was finished last week. I have gravel walk ways and a large graveled seating area. Any suggestion or experience with keeping them level? I have looked at rakes but not sure which one to buy. What rake do I need to keep the gravel level? Any advice is appreciated. Charles

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I always thought once you had the gravel in place, unless you do something like DRAG your feet (lol), and drag something VERY heavy over it, the gravel would stay level. Am I missing something here?

Kirkland, WA(Zone 7b)

true, but if you have dogs or children...
Purchase a metal rake, the type with the short tines; flip it over & use the back (flat) side.
A weed burner will speed up the weeding process, and a broom or a leaf blower for the debris.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I LOVED my weed burner!!! You could weed eat, spray to kill and then BURN, that was when I had a lot of gravel to maintain. The burning, if you S L O W L Y advance along, will burn the weed seeds too and make it even easier to maintain.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd also make sure the gravel is tamped down really well--I have fine gravel all through my yard, and the part that the landscapers compacted with one of those big mechanical compactors is stuck down really well--my dog runs around on it and I drag wagons and things over it and it holds up fine. I have another newer section that I compacted myself with one of those hand tampers, and it's not stuck together quite as well, but still pretty good.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

White vinegar works very well for the weeds.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

http://www.flameengineering.com/Red_Dragon_Propane_Torch_K.html

Much more fun then vinegar.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Harder on the environment though.

Electric City, WA(Zone 5a)

This is completely off the subject, but I am interested in your experience with the Weed Dragon. I got one last spring and find it difficult to get my weeds to actually die. Frequently I'll go back after burning the heck out of them and find that the part of the plant that is not entirely torched is still alive and growing. Is it dependant on the type of weed? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

A lot of weeds are remarkably resilient--I imagine it's better to torch the whole thing. The torch isn't getting the roots, so if you leave any top growth, I would think the weed could come back without too much trouble. No personal experience though--it's way too dry here to use things like that for weed control, might set the whole neighborhood on fire!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Seems to work well for me but some types of weeds do come back. I think it has to do with how deep the roots of the weeds are.

Kirkland, WA(Zone 7b)

In my experience, anything with a tap root takes several burnings, and even then some will not go quietly...

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i think some seeds are even stratified by fire. and if you leave bare soil after brazing, it will allow something else to move in and take over. hopefully desirable plants.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

I'm planning to put in tamped gravel paths, probalby in the spring, so I'm glad to have these hints ahead of time.

I LOVE my Weed Dragon----it doesn't kill the $()_#($(_+ bermuda grass, but at least it knocked it back to where I could get a handle on it and dig up the main clumps. I find the WD works really well on other weeds, though.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you're going to be installing new paths, I'd also recommend putting down a few layers of landscape fabric underneath, that'll go a long way to helping with the weeds.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks---good idea---I'll add that to the checklist!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images