Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant): Super informative - thanks!

Communities > Forums > Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant)Replies: 7, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2007
2:36 PM

Post #4081377

and here in Maryland where they were planted ad nauseum many years ago, they've now gained status on our Mid-Atlantic Invasive plant list !

Who'd have thought! http://www.invasive.org/eastern/midatlantic/pyca.html

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2007
4:43 PM

Post #4081721

Hi there Dea!
Aren't they like so many things that require more thought and research? Not doing so can be so disastrous can't it? There is some good that came from it, and it is all for future reference, still very valuable to apply this like a metaphor to many other areas. Not just plants.

Thank you for reading, (especially for responding)!

debnes
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 15, 2007
4:23 AM

Post #4084132

Very good information! Thanks!
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #4084981

Good information. I wish the city planners who chose Bradford Pear as our median tree had done their homework. Bradford Pear sounds like a really, really bad choice. LOL As we say here: "Only in Bridgeport".
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #4087339

Good article, Deb. Wish I had read more information on these trees before I planted two in my front yard. The lawn service has used their weedwacker to cut down the suckers and have damaged the trunk of the trees in the process. I love the spring blooms and the fall color, but you're right, they don't last long and are expensive to remove.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #4087488

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!
I hear ya Deborah.. The salesmen at the nurseries aren't that helpful, and seem oblivious to things like this ...

Here at DG we get the truth , and are ready to hear it, and tell it too. :-)

Gotta love that~
debnes

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #4092626

We wanted a tree in the front yard for shade and my dh wanted to get a Bradford Pear because it grows fast and I kept saying 'no'. He should know better because at our old home a neighbor had a huge one and an ice storm caused it to split and it missed our house by inches!!

After many 'disscussions' He finally got it that I was not going to give in on this one!!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2007
1:40 PM

Post #4092667

Way to stick to your guns nanny! In the long run he will thank you!

debnes

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
reminds me of the Norway Maple! carrielamont 4 Feb 27, 2008 8:03 PM
Great Article! JanetS 2 Oct 15, 2007 2:41 AM
New Start LouC 15 Sep 18, 2010 7:37 PM
trinity pear cathy4 1 Oct 14, 2007 6:12 PM
Bradford Pears phantomasc 1 Oct 21, 2007 11:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America