Part 5...HOW TO Make faux sea glass

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Coming from our last thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/775925/

Which is getting a bit long for those on dial-up, a new thread.

MUST SEE, Cheryl's latest photos of a few fabulous bowls!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4083268
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4083274
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4083277

Imapigeon said:

Quoting:
So, dumb question----are these fired flat first to melt them together into a sheet first, and then put into a slump mold and fired again to get the bowl shape? SOOOO pretty!

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Ooops...I was 2 minutes too late. Here's my post from B4

Oh yes, do tell. How were they made? I need ideas for my tumbled glass!!! Please don't tell me I have to buy a kiln????!!!!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

And Celia said:

Quoting:
Oh yes, do tell. How were they made? I need ideas for my tumbled glass!!! Please don't tell me I have to buy a kiln????!!!!

Celia, the short answer is, um, likely. LOL. We're an addicting group.

:-)

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

LOL, Had to make sure you came with us.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanx! Yes, very addicting!!! LOL!

I have another question... How and where does everyone do there SMASHING? I'm trying to find a safe place to break my glass. For now I'm putting the piece in a brown bag, and then inside an empty dog/cat food bag. But when I'm nipping, hmmmm how to keep down the tiny, tiny pieces from going everywhere. Okay, I'm open to all your techniques.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, Celia,

I may not be of much help, because I'm a naughty smasher.

I've been known to snip and clip right here in the office, only
to run the Eureka afterwards. The bad thing, I often forget to
tell the rest of the family not to walk in there until I have done so.

As for smashing, only outdoors in a big deep dishpan, using
a rock and a hammer. Of course, things do fly, so I often do it on
the side of the garage where vehicles don't exist.

:-) KM

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Hello all ... i tried to resist but nooo i just kept on reading...a nice young man that shoots a bb gun in his basement gave me his targets... a lil red wagon full of arizona tea blue bottles!! ordered my tumbler this afternoon :) Kim

Rincon, GA(Zone 8b)

OK....... I got really excited about this site...... I asked DH didn't we have a tumbler... and yes we do...... yeah!!!

I went rummaging for old wine bottles, looking at old dump for broken green glass insulators and bringing home all kinds of trash.... lol (it was fun)

I get the tumber out and it is soooo old that it does not work anymore..... so I decided not to buy a new one and get rid of the trash I brought home.......... until Cheryl posted those beautiful bowls. Now, again, I want to do the sea glass....... then you tell me I have to get a kiln?...... lol

What is a girl to do? Can I use a blow torch? Or build a really hot fire? :)

Janice

This message was edited Oct 14, 2007 9:40 PM

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I have a technique for smashing that seems to work well for me. I have one of those large plastic trash cans that you can buy at Wal-Mart. I took it outdoors turned it on it's side. You can use a large wrench to break the glass. I use eyeglasses so that protects my eyes. Reach a little ways into the trash can and whack away. The bits that want to fly up will hit the sides of the trash can and fall back down. If you reach in far enough they will not fly out of the top. When you have the pieces you want take those out and simply stand the trash can upright and dump into another trash can that is lined and there is no worry about sharp bits of glass anywhere.

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

celia,
im sorry to tell you yes you have to have a kiln..

Janice,
If you can get your fire up to say around 1400 to 1500 maybe you can give it a try with out the kiln }:>

DH wont let me do glass in the house ....lol something about doesnt want it in his food :-)
so he built me a shop . I use a towel and just smash on the floor.

"imapigeon
So, dumb question----are these fired flat first to melt them together into a sheet first, and then put into a slump mold and fired again to get the bowl shape?

SOOOO pretty!"

IM not sure how she did them ... Ill ask her
But I have used the tempered glass both ways .. fused into a slab first and then slumped ..and stacked in the mold and fused .. I really like the 2nd way better ..
Cheryl

sorry yall this is the nice young man...bentforms.com

kimarj,
And What does this have to do with sea glass?? Did I miss something

no denimangle i just did not want any one to think i got glass from a child shooting a bb gun. sorry for the confusion. Kim

imapigeon
the bowls were fused into a slab first ... but she had the samething happen as when I fused a slab with tempered glass and ended up with LG holes .(I had to reslump/fire 5 times to get rid of the holes)
so im thinking that lining the mold is a much better way. At least I like the look better ill try and get a picture later
Cheryl

"kimarj,
i just did not want any one to think i got glass from a child shooting a bb gun"
LOL I didnt give that a 2nd thought ... we live in the woods and kids start hunting young around here.
Just thought the web page was strange ....lol
Cheryl

Cheryl, it is strange but what a nice guy.He is looking to tumble a big heap of glass in a cement mixer !!OH well off to work .Kim

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

5 firings??? YEOW!!! My electric bill would be thru the roof, since my kiln is 4 cu ft for ceramics.
So how do you "line the mold" and keep the glass from sliding? Just put pieces together edge-to-edge? I'm still trying to wrap my tiny brain around this concept......

imapigeon
Wow your elect must be more $$$ then here .
but this was in my small glass kiln ...

"So how do you "line the mold" and keep the glass from sliding? Just put pieces together edge-to-edge?" Yeppers thats how you do it ... you could use a little super glue if you wanted it will burn off. But I haven't had to YET!!!!
You are going to have some holes but thats ok ...its not a bowl your going to eat soup in ..lol
Cheryl

I don't want to jack the sea glass thread with tempered glass heres a link to the bowls etc.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid14925792

This message was edited Oct 15, 2007 6:25 PM

DH just installed 18 solar panels that have been online for 4 weeks. Our bill went from $375 a month (and more---typically around $500 at Christmas) to $124----that does include natural gas, and we only run our AC when it's over 100 degrees. It's pricey here!! That's one reason I've learned to single-fire my ceramic tiles in my gas kiln...

OUCH no AC till its 100 .. we keep it on about 9 monthes a year here.
If He hooks up a few more you will be selling back power ..now that would be cool.

The state of CA won't allow selling it back (one of the few) but we're at least pushing it back during peak time, which is when it's most expensive. We plan to put on another 18 panels next year....after we get these paid for----LOL!! But what's cool is we didn't put them on the roof of the house, we replaced our ratty old sidewalk overhang with them

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

What a great way to put the solor panels up! This way they also give you shade and protection from the rain and such. :^)

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, Cheryl, never to worry. I absolutely love seeing your bowls,
no matter the thread. Thanks for sharing the link!

:-) KM

Just checked out your link, denim; those bowls are really NEAT!

telly, that's what I thought---just went out to feed the fish, and was able to stand under the panels and stay dry in the rain! Took me 2 years to convince DH it would work, but he figured out a great system for installing, and now we're "reducing our environmental footprint", and saving money too. EEHHAAA

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hot dog, doesn't that feel good!?

Congrats!

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

The bowls are great, gosh, I'll never catch up.. You all do such great things and i want to try them all.

As for breaking bottles, I place my bottle in a concrete splash guard (borrowed from under the gutter down spout) this keeps the glass from going everywhere. cover with landscaping paper(just because it was handy) and gently smash. Lifting often to see if need to smash again. Works for me..good luck

Ok I just chatted with the lady that made the sea glass bowels again .. She has sold 2 of them for $40.00 each ...
Ladies get your tumblers going ...LOL
Cheryl

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

I love those bowls!!!

As an aside, I saw sea glass at the bead store advertised as genuine Maine sea glass. ONE PIECE, maybe the size of a nickel, was selling for $3.00... OMG! Fused pendants..$30.00.. yup, got to get making some stuff.

No Kidding ..
If my tumbler doesn't get here soon Im going to use a coffee can & start shaking ...lol
Cheryl

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Well, let us know how that works out!! You can post under 'What to do with a 2 pound coffee can'

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Nah nah nah nah nah.

I'm off to the hobby store! ;-) I'll be back later.

KM

Thanks Bender ..
Im hoping I dont have to go there :-)
Im off to cut ber bottles I have orders ..
Cheryl
Karen Not Fair its 100 miles to the craft store:-(

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Have a productive day, Cheryl.

I'm thinking of hooking up a tumbler to a thing like The Professor always made on Gilligan's Island, you know where Gilligan always had to ride the bike. I'll call it the Tone and Tumble 3000. Orders?

Phoenix, AZ

LOL, Brenda, I'll take one of those! It's actually doable; some years ago, I saw an article in Mother Earth News where someone who'd moved to the backwoods hooked a bike up to a washing machine and rode the clothes clean. Funny, but absolutely effective for both washing and exercise.

Now to a question. But first, I must say that this is the worst thread ever for for hooking someone on a new hobby! Are you ever a bunch of enablers! Oh, yeah, the question: I threw away a Kahlua bottle the other day, then wondered what that heavy brown glass would look like tumbled and thought maybe I should save it. That Kahlua lasted for several years, but I love wine and buy a bottle or two (it's shared!) about once a week. So much red wine, in particular, is bottled in beautiful glass. Do you have favorite beverages that you buy for the bottle more than the content?

I don't even have a tumbler but I see one in my near future, thanks to you guys! I think I'll wait on the kiln. Something about jumping in with both feet before learning to swim....

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

I think I did see that article!

I haven't tumbled any brown glass but I have some brown sea glass, which I find a soothing color. A chick at stained glass class has quite a bit of brown sea glass she is planning to use as leaves on a tree piece she is thinking about doing.

I am now buying beverages for the bottle (say that 5 times fast!) I hear the tumbler calling you ;-D

tomatofreak,
" jumping in with both feet before learning to swim"
Its the only way to learn .. Nothing here to got in a rut about something new every time you trun on the tumbler or kiln...

Bender , Thanks .. I cut & cleaned enough to fill 2 kilns .. Break time
Cheryl

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Just an FYI to Brender "beer bottle brown" is a lovely tumbled glass. LOL

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Well, that is what I get for bragging. I didn't get diddly at the hobby
store. Sigh. Completely forgot the clay!

Brender, the 'Tone and Tumbler', too cute!

Tomato, I love the Kahlua bottles, they look nice after
tumbling, but they are so gorgeous when the sun shines
through the bottoms. It's hard for me to break one when
I think about the potential for a bottle house. :-)

Beer bottle brown is indeed nice, but beer bottles are not
as much fun (to me) to tumble or break because they are so
thin. Better to look for thick stuff like champagne bottles, old
Clorox bottles, etc. Very nice!

KM

When IM cutting beer bottles for windchimes
I cut at least 1 bottle all the way to the top .. Im going to use the top rings in the tumbler they are thicker and will be donuts easy to make a necklae out of.
I think ill slump them first in the kiln will take less time to get that rounded look.
Cheryl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.