Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Trash to Treasure: Part 5...HOW TO Make faux sea glass

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 97, Views: 811
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2007
12:47 AM

Post #4083347

Coming from our last thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/775925/

Which is getting a bit long for those on dial-up, a new thread.

MUST SEE, Cheryl's latest photos of a few fabulous bowls!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4083268
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4083274
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4083277

Imapigeon said:

Quoting:So, dumb question----are these fired flat first to melt them together into a sheet first, and then put into a slump mold and fired again to get the bowl shape? SOOOO pretty!

celia
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #4083354

Ooops...I was 2 minutes too late. Here's my post from B4

Oh yes, do tell. How were they made? I need ideas for my tumbled glass!!! Please don't tell me I have to buy a kiln????!!!!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #4083360

And Celia said:

Quoting:Oh yes, do tell. How were they made? I need ideas for my tumbled glass!!! Please don't tell me I have to buy a kiln????!!!!

Celia, the short answer is, um, likely. LOL. We're an addicting group.

:-)
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #4083365

LOL, Had to make sure you came with us.

celia
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #4083402

Thanx! Yes, very addicting!!! LOL!

I have another question... How and where does everyone do there SMASHING? I'm trying to find a safe place to break my glass. For now I'm putting the piece in a brown bag, and then inside an empty dog/cat food bag. But when I'm nipping, hmmmm how to keep down the tiny, tiny pieces from going everywhere. Okay, I'm open to all your techniques.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #4083500

Oh, Celia,

I may not be of much help, because I'm a naughty smasher.

I've been known to snip and clip right here in the office, only
to run the Eureka afterwards. The bad thing, I often forget to
tell the rest of the family not to walk in there until I have done so.

As for smashing, only outdoors in a big deep dishpan, using
a rock and a hammer. Of course, things do fly, so I often do it on
the side of the garage where vehicles don't exist.

:-) KM
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #4083501

Hello all ... i tried to resist but nooo i just kept on reading...a nice young man that shoots a bb gun in his basement gave me his targets... a lil red wagon full of arizona tea blue bottles!! ordered my tumbler this afternoon :) Kim
GaLateBloomer
Rincon, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2007
1:37 AM

Post #4083525

OK... I got really excited about this site... I asked DH didn't we have a tumbler... and yes we do... yeah!!!

I went rummaging for old wine bottles, looking at old dump for broken green glass insulators and bringing home all kinds of trash... lol (it was fun)

I get the tumber out and it is soooo old that it does not work anymore... so I decided not to buy a new one and get rid of the trash I brought home... until Cheryl posted those beautiful bowls. Now, again, I want to do the sea glass... then you tell me I have to get a kiln?... lol

What is a girl to do? Can I use a blow torch? Or build a really hot fire? :)

Janice

This message was edited Oct 14, 2007 9:40 PM
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #4083671

I have a technique for smashing that seems to work well for me. I have one of those large plastic trash cans that you can buy at Wal-Mart. I took it outdoors turned it on it's side. You can use a large wrench to break the glass. I use eyeglasses so that protects my eyes. Reach a little ways into the trash can and whack away. The bits that want to fly up will hit the sides of the trash can and fall back down. If you reach in far enough they will not fly out of the top. When you have the pieces you want take those out and simply stand the trash can upright and dump into another trash can that is lined and there is no worry about sharp bits of glass anywhere.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #4083681

celia,
im sorry to tell you yes you have to have a kiln..

Janice,
If you can get your fire up to say around 1400 to 1500 maybe you can give it a try with out the kiln }:>

DH wont let me do glass in the house ...lol something about doesnt want it in his food :-)
so he built me a shop . I use a towel and just smash on the floor.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2007
2:28 AM

Post #4083739

"imapigeon
So, dumb question----are these fired flat first to melt them together into a sheet first, and then put into a slump mold and fired again to get the bowl shape?

SOOOO pretty!"

IM not sure how she did them ... Ill ask her
But I have used the tempered glass both ways .. fused into a slab first and then slumped ..and stacked in the mold and fused .. I really like the 2nd way better ..
Cheryl
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2007
2:30 AM

Post #4083751

sorry yall this is the nice young man...bentforms.com
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #4083879

kimarj,
And What does this have to do with sea glass?? Did I miss something
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2007
11:22 AM

Post #4084421

no denimangle i just did not want any one to think i got glass from a child shooting a bb gun. sorry for the confusion. Kim
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2007
11:50 AM

Post #4084478

imapigeon
the bowls were fused into a slab first ... but she had the samething happen as when I fused a slab with tempered glass and ended up with LG holes .(I had to reslump/fire 5 times to get rid of the holes)
so im thinking that lining the mold is a much better way. At least I like the look better ill try and get a picture later
Cheryl
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2007
11:53 AM

Post #4084481

"kimarj,
i just did not want any one to think i got glass from a child shooting a bb gun"
LOL I didnt give that a 2nd thought ... we live in the woods and kids start hunting young around here.
Just thought the web page was strange ...lol
Cheryl
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2007
12:23 PM

Post #4084545

Cheryl, it is strange but what a nice guy.He is looking to tumble a big heap of glass in a cement mixer !!OH well off to work .Kim
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2007
2:08 PM

Post #4084862

5 firings??? YEOW!!! My electric bill would be thru the roof, since my kiln is 4 cu ft for ceramics.
So how do you "line the mold" and keep the glass from sliding? Just put pieces together edge-to-edge? I'm still trying to wrap my tiny brain around this concept...
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #4086872

imapigeon
Wow your elect must be more $$$ then here .
but this was in my small glass kiln ...

"So how do you "line the mold" and keep the glass from sliding? Just put pieces together edge-to-edge?" Yeppers thats how you do it ... you could use a little super glue if you wanted it will burn off. But I haven't had to YET!!!!
You are going to have some holes but thats ok ...its not a bowl your going to eat soup in ..lol
Cheryl

I don't want to jack the sea glass thread with tempered glass heres a link to the bowls etc.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid14925792

This message was edited Oct 15, 2007 6:25 PM
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #4087079

DH just installed 18 solar panels that have been online for 4 weeks. Our bill went from $375 a month (and more---typically around $500 at Christmas) to $124----that does include natural gas, and we only run our AC when it's over 100 degrees. It's pricey here!! That's one reason I've learned to single-fire my ceramic tiles in my gas kiln...
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #4087177

OUCH no AC till its 100 .. we keep it on about 9 monthes a year here.
If He hooks up a few more you will be selling back power ..now that would be cool.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #4087377

The state of CA won't allow selling it back (one of the few) but we're at least pushing it back during peak time, which is when it's most expensive. We plan to put on another 18 panels next year...after we get these paid for----LOL!! But what's cool is we didn't put them on the roof of the house, we replaced our ratty old sidewalk overhang with them

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #4087399

What a great way to put the solor panels up! This way they also give you shade and protection from the rain and such. :^)
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #4087403

Oh, Cheryl, never to worry. I absolutely love seeing your bowls,
no matter the thread. Thanks for sharing the link!

:-) KM
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2007
1:37 AM

Post #4087465

Just checked out your link, denim; those bowls are really NEAT!

telly, that's what I thought---just went out to feed the fish, and was able to stand under the panels and stay dry in the rain! Took me 2 years to convince DH it would work, but he figured out a great system for installing, and now we're "reducing our environmental footprint", and saving money too. EEHHAAA
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #4087492

Hot dog, doesn't that feel good!?

Congrats!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2007
2:33 AM

Post #4087702

The bowls are great, gosh, I'll never catch up.. You all do such great things and i want to try them all.

As for breaking bottles, I place my bottle in a concrete splash guard (borrowed from under the gutter down spout) this keeps the glass from going everywhere. cover with landscaping paper(just because it was handy) and gently smash. Lifting often to see if need to smash again. Works for me..good luck
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2007
12:47 PM

Post #4088663

Ok I just chatted with the lady that made the sea glass bowels again .. She has sold 2 of them for $40.00 each ...
Ladies get your tumblers going ...LOL
Cheryl
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2007
12:59 PM

Post #4088694

I love those bowls!!!

As an aside, I saw sea glass at the bead store advertised as genuine Maine sea glass. ONE PIECE, maybe the size of a nickel, was selling for $3.00... OMG! Fused pendants..$30.00.. yup, got to get making some stuff.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2007
1:48 PM

Post #4088836

No Kidding ..
If my tumbler doesn't get here soon Im going to use a coffee can & start shaking ...lol
Cheryl
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #4088883

Well, let us know how that works out!! You can post under 'What to do with a 2 pound coffee can'
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #4088942

Nah nah nah nah nah.

I'm off to the hobby store! ;-) I'll be back later.

KM
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2007
2:32 PM

Post #4088967

Thanks Bender ..
Im hoping I dont have to go there :-)
Im off to cut ber bottles I have orders ..
Cheryl
Karen Not Fair its 100 miles to the craft store:-(
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #4089216

Have a productive day, Cheryl.

I'm thinking of hooking up a tumbler to a thing like The Professor always made on Gilligan's Island, you know where Gilligan always had to ride the bike. I'll call it the Tone and Tumble 3000. Orders?
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

October 16, 2007
5:36 PM

Post #4089567

LOL, Brenda, I'll take one of those! It's actually doable; some years ago, I saw an article in Mother Earth News where someone who'd moved to the backwoods hooked a bike up to a washing machine and rode the clothes clean. Funny, but absolutely effective for both washing and exercise.

Now to a question. But first, I must say that this is the worst thread ever for for hooking someone on a new hobby! Are you ever a bunch of enablers! Oh, yeah, the question: I threw away a Kahlua bottle the other day, then wondered what that heavy brown glass would look like tumbled and thought maybe I should save it. That Kahlua lasted for several years, but I love wine and buy a bottle or two (it's shared!) about once a week. So much red wine, in particular, is bottled in beautiful glass. Do you have favorite beverages that you buy for the bottle more than the content?

I don't even have a tumbler but I see one in my near future, thanks to you guys! I think I'll wait on the kiln. Something about jumping in with both feet before learning to swim...
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #4089818

I think I did see that article!

I haven't tumbled any brown glass but I have some brown sea glass, which I find a soothing color. A chick at stained glass class has quite a bit of brown sea glass she is planning to use as leaves on a tree piece she is thinking about doing.

I am now buying beverages for the bottle (say that 5 times fast!) I hear the tumbler calling you ;-D
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2007
7:40 PM

Post #4089976

tomatofreak,
" jumping in with both feet before learning to swim"
Its the only way to learn .. Nothing here to got in a rut about something new every time you trun on the tumbler or kiln...

Bender , Thanks .. I cut & cleaned enough to fill 2 kilns .. Break time
Cheryl
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4091136

Just an FYI to Brender "beer bottle brown" is a lovely tumbled glass. LOL
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #4091184

Well, that is what I get for bragging. I didn't get diddly at the hobby
store. Sigh. Completely forgot the clay!

Brender, the 'Tone and Tumbler', too cute!

Tomato, I love the Kahlua bottles, they look nice after
tumbling, but they are so gorgeous when the sun shines
through the bottoms. It's hard for me to break one when
I think about the potential for a bottle house. :-)

Beer bottle brown is indeed nice, but beer bottles are not
as much fun (to me) to tumble or break because they are so
thin. Better to look for thick stuff like champagne bottles, old
Clorox bottles, etc. Very nice!

KM

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #4091359

When IM cutting beer bottles for windchimes
I cut at least 1 bottle all the way to the top .. Im going to use the top rings in the tumbler they are thicker and will be donuts easy to make a necklae out of.
I think ill slump them first in the kiln will take less time to get that rounded look.
Cheryl
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2007

Post #4091413

You know, it's rather silly of me to not have tried melting
any bottles yet, LOL. I've melted rings, but no full bottles.

What am I waiting for?

:-)

Oh, wait, Cheryl, a question for you. Must I apply another
coat of kiln wash to the entire shelf every single fire, even
if the wash is still fine?

KM
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #4091606

Karen.. NO !!! did you put at least 3 coats on to start with?
I do it about every 3rd time or if something sticks.
The kiln wash does break down at high temps.
Cheryl
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2007
9:54 AM

Post #4092104

"I'm thinking of hooking up a tumbler to a thing like The Professor always made on Gilligan's Island, you know where Gilligan always had to ride the bike. "

I swear it takes a lot to make me smile let alone laugh the first thing out of bed. That one got me.

I also had to laugh when Tomatofreak asked about buying beverages more for the color of the bottle than the contents. When I went dumpster diving at the recycle center I found pieces of a bottle in a beautiful orange-amber color. I kept digging until I found enough of the label to piece it back together so I could look for it again. Does anybody drink Contreau? LOL

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane

Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2007
10:17 AM

Post #4092139

Oooohhhh Lala... initiative and insight looking for that label :-D You make us all proud!!! Have a good day.

Brender
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #4092625

Cointreau?

Oooh, that even sounds good!

http://www.cointreau.com/

Image courtesy of Cointreau

Thumbnail by WUVIE

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2007
2:21 PM

Post #4092818

I may have to start drinking just for the bottles ...lol

Cheryl
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2007
2:21 PM

Post #4092820

This thread is so fun, got me wanting to go dumpster diving again..think I'll wait until I know my brother is at work this time. He has enjoyed to much, catching me diving.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

October 17, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #4094335

All of our Arizona Tea is in plastic bottles - how sad!!! Haven't found any colored bottles containing beverages I am willing to try - so I will just have to be content w/ other stuff!!!!!!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #4094541

Hi Wanna,

Isn't that a bummer? Just yesterday I saw Arizona Tea, thumped the
bottles and found them to be plastic. Pfft!

In high class (cough) I mean high priced grocery stores, often one can
find cobalt blue bottles on the bottled water aisle.

You know what, this makes me think. We need a blue glass reference
page, don't we?

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2007
11:10 PM

Post #4094843

You know what, this makes me think. We need a blue glass reference
page, don't we?

Suonds like a good idea.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #4094896

Sorry, got sidetracked helping hubs.

I'll start one up. :-) KM
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #4099570

For anyone getting the black gunk in your tumbler This talks about shot but it really applies to the tumbler.
Cleaning Barrel and Shot: If stainless steel shot becomes dirty (your pieces just won’t shine up and actually get dirty during tumbling), you can clean it by using a Coke bath. Rinse shot in strainer and return to barrel. Barely cover shot with flat Coke (or other non-carbonated mild acidic solution). Tumble for 15-30 minutes. Rinse shot and barrel. Repeat if necessary. If jewelry is blackened, repeat coke bath one more time with the jewelry in the barrel.

I had it happen and just rinsed and cleaned the tumbler mutltiple times, cleaning the shot thoroughly each time. Took 4 or 5 rinses but it was clean and haven't had a problem since. I've heard from many sources about the coke bath. The coke should be flat ! Be VERY careful rinsing your shot that you don't do it over the disposal . . . those little pins are really bad for disposals!!!!

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2007
4:41 AM

Post #4099852

Went wine-shopping with my son yesterday. Couldn't stop thinking about the color of the bottles. So sad---used to select new wines based on which had the cool labels...LOL!
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2007
6:36 AM

Post #4099946

What is shot? (she asks while trying not to blush)
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2007
10:44 AM

Post #4100155

Lala,
its kind of like BBs
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #4100429

Cheryl, what a cool idea, thanks!

Ima, don't feel bad. When grocery shopping, many items are
now chosen not for the brand or the label, but the packaging.
Hmm, can I mosaic that? Could I slice that on the tile saw?
How would that look melted?

LOL
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #4100443

Stopped at the grocery last night and perused the spirits aisle...many fetching bottles... the Cointreau, however, was $33.99. Guess I'll make do with what I scavenge.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2007 9:38 AM
celia
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #4100462

I also looked at the Cointreau. Wow! Pretty pricey!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2007
1:39 PM

Post #4100474

If any of you can get your hands on true Mexican Corona, it comes
in neat bottles with that orangey look.

Hubby used to work with many imported workers at a nursery,
so he would bring home many interesting Mexican bottles.

KM
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

October 19, 2007
1:42 PM

Post #4100484

May I suggest you befriend a bartender - and agree to pick up bottles a couple times.
celia
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #4100500

Hmmm. befriend a bartender. 'Honest honey, I only want him for his bottles!' LOL!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #4100519

It's hard to resist a bartender when you look into those deep blues.
The bottles, that is.

;-)
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2007
2:08 PM

Post #4100554

We've got that stinkin deposit so they all get turned back for cash...except those that wind up thrown out the car/truck window... usually not the pretty bottles :-(
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 19, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #4100665

There is a Mexican beer that is in blue bottles. For a couple of years I found a lot mostly around Christmas time but now I'm finding LOTS of them whenever I go to the dump. I need a bumper sticker that says "I brake for blue bottles." I sometimes see them by the side of the road but if there's no shoulder I can't stop . About the only time my desire for self-preservation overcomes my love of blue bottles. I have bags and bags of them but many have been involved in fires (they still burn at the dumps here) and need serious cleaning. If broken or too bad to clean they go in the tumbler.

katiebear
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2007
4:49 PM

Post #4101099

Makes me feel so much better to know that my addiction to blue bottles/glass is shared...and YET, to know that all of you are also out there looking for them makes me check your posts closely to see where you live!!!
celia
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #4101308

Don't worry about me LOL! I live on the other side of the country!!!! I just can't decide if I want to smash my blue SKYY bottles, or keep collecting them for a garden border. I REALLY like WUVIE's wine border. Decisions...decisions.
KBJ
Annville, PA

October 23, 2007
12:41 PM

Post #4113920

Hi everyone! I've missed you but it's been hectic here running the kids all over creation! The science project is well underway and I am posting the first group of glass. This was tumbled for 7 days with loose gravel found at a construction site. My son re-loaded it daily with 3 Tbl of fresh gravel. We are now tumbiling for the next 7 days with dirt from the bottom of a local stream/river. I'll keep you posted. By the way, we break the glass in a fabric bag, it seems to work just fine. Be well! I will post a few other pictures too.

Thumbnail by KBJ

KBJ
Annville, PA

October 23, 2007
12:44 PM

Post #4113933

Here's some more!

Thumbnail by KBJ

KBJ
Annville, PA

October 23, 2007
12:49 PM

Post #4113951

Here's a before/after photo. We have broken the glass into 4 groups of 45 pieces. We've also had our belt break. I am thinking that a vacuum belt will work and we will try that once this next one breaks. We are tumbling for 4 weeks straight and are just one week 2. I suspect we will have more belt breakage so I better be prepared. Has anyone had any luck at the hardware store? Keep the posts coming!

Thumbnail by KBJ

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #4114021

Great photos!!! I love sea glass. I have a lot of it laying around here that I picked up here and there. I siliconed it to a candle last year. Some of the pieces fell off though and I lost interest after that. I probably used the wrong kind of silicon. It was what we had around here at the time.

I've been watching these threads and seeing what you all are turning out makes me want a tumbler too! I've got plenty of glass that I could tumble. Seeing how pretty those pieces turned out makes me wonder how I can attach it to one of our copper sculptures. hmmmmmmmmm the wheels are turning.

Janet
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #4114161

KBJ, Oh, look at all the fabulous colors! Isn't this fun?

Janet, beg, borrow or steal a tumbler. Well, don't steal one, but
definitely get one. LOL.

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #4115507

KBJ
I tried a oring belt it was to thich to work ..someone told me a different belt to try that can be cut into 3 or 4 belts and if I can find the paper it was writen on ill pose it I believe its a Hoover belt .
Cheryl
ok found it it is a Hoover vac belt # 38528-035

This message was edited Oct 23, 2007 2:24 PM
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #4123698

KBJ where did you find all those gorgeous colors? Simply beautiful!!! I guess I've been lucky as I've been tumbling steadily for over a month with not a single belt issue (knock on wood).

I have a great tumbler story. I was going into "the big town" today to pick my dad up from the hospital, and being that patience has never been one of my strong points I decided to go to Harbor Freight and pick up a 2nd tumbler. I tried my best to wait for the double drum to go on sale...I really did! But alas I am weak and I caved. So I printed out the online add for the single drum and away I went.

The clerk told me that yes indeed they most certainly would honor the add and told me where to find the tumbler. I searched and searched to no avail and finally had to call the clerk back to aid me. He also searched and searched even checking the depths of "the back room" (Does anybody else ever wonder about the mysterious "back room"? Do these stores have haphazard junk piles back there not unlike my own basement where finding the desired object could take weeks if not months? Or maybe it's some swank coffee-bar affair that only the elite are allowed to enter? Some day when no one's looking I'm going to take a peak. I'm going to shove those curtains to the side and discover the secrets to "the back room")...er, sorry about that.

At any rate there was no tumbler to be found. I've gotten much bolder in my old age so I approached the manager singing the blues about having traveled an hour and a half to make my purchase. I then asked if he would consider giving me $10 off the double drum instead since it would probably be months before I could make my return. He looked rather dubious, but did a little calculating, punched a few buttons, then made a trip (where else but) into the back room. He emerged all smiles (what WAS he doing back there?) and told me that he would be happy to honor the add by subtracting $10 off the double drum instead. He then punched a few more buttons and told me that the last time the double tumbler was on sale it was $34 so I could have it for that price instead. Yowza!

The moral of the story? Don't be afraid to ask...nothing ventured, nothing gained. :D

Or perhaps the REAL moral is that there's magic behind them back curtains and passing through them is like drinking from the fountain of youth or discovering the lost Aztec gold, or...er... sorry again.
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #4123719

Now that is a great story!!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 26, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #4123805

Love it. Thanks.

I'm taking care of my "trash to treasure" from two days ago - my two puppies afrom the dump. They're so great - toilet training took all of five minutes. They are doing a lot of puppy wrest;aing and I have to careful not to ignore the other four. Cooking chicken and rice for dinner.

Goit a lot of clean-up done today, then took a nap. My right hand is swollen; probably got a bite yesterday while clearing bermuda grass. I looked at it and thought, "Oh, my right front paw is swollen." PAW??!!?? I think I"ve been spending entirely too much time with the dogs.

While on my way into town yesterday I had to pull off the road into the driveway of an abandoned house because they were working on the road. Saw some pomagramete trees and went to look. They were not very good fruit but there was an elephant ear plant growing there. So I know where to go to get leaves for stepping stones and maybe even a piece of tuber.

Moved two of my new plumerias into my new work area.

Yesterday I got seeds for macadamia nuts and malabar chestnuts from a man in Hawaii. Great pictures of the malabar chestnut at tradewindsfruit.com.

Pray for those in the Ca. fire zones.

katiebear
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #4124105

Lala
Good story .. But I think he got to you .. The double sells for $39.00
It was on sale for $29.00.
I just got my letter from HF telling me my replacement is on the way ...
Cheryl
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2007
2:00 AM

Post #4124198

Odd, The price on the box for the double was $49.99. Maybe my HF is more upscale. LOL!

It still beats the heck out of the $39.00 I paid for my single and I am now tumbling, tumbling, tumbling.

I am pleased, :-)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #4124241

Okay, you all have me hooked on getting a tumbler. What brand should I buy? Is there one that isn't really loud? Thanks!
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2007
2:24 AM

Post #4124287

I have two of the single HF tumblers and it is amazing how quiet they are. I was expecting banging and grinding but that is not the case at all.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #4124350

I have lot's of glass but no tumbler. When I get a tumbler and tumble the glass, what do I do with the tumbled glass? HELPPPP!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2007
3:48 AM

Post #4124531

dahtzu,
Ok you must back track to see all the fun stuff that you can use faux seaglass for.

Lala,
it really must be upscale
DH and I spend hours in HF today ...didnt see a tumbler anywhere . but had 2 baskets at the checkout ...lol
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2007
12:35 PM

Post #4125029

Cheryl, two baskets? Lucky you! I'm green with envy!

Dahtzu, Oh my. There are SO many things you can do with the glass.

Drill holes in smaller pieces for necklaces, bracelets, earrings.

Place in clear jars on a window sill for a color delight. Fill with water
for more effect.

Use tumbled glass instead of the typical glass globs when making
flower arrangements. Place flowers into a vase, then drop in glass
here and there to hold the flowers upright, fill with water.

Place a few handfuls of glass in your potted plants. When you water
the plants, water the glass, it looks so pretty when wet!

Use for mosaics!

There are soooo many things you can do with it. Can't wait to see what
you come up with to do with yours. :-)

KM
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #4125934

Thank you so much...Again, I want to do all of the suggested uses for tumbled glass. I love the thickness of the bottle bottoms and necks...do you tumble these? What would happen if you fired them in the kiln?

KM Please don't leave us! We'll miss you to much.
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #4126718

Hello all, I have had my tumbler 3 days what fun! Dahtzu i have been using mine to knock the edge of my broken and cut up bottles"thanks Wuvie" I just love running my fingers through the glass no splinters

Thumbnail by kimarj

WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #4126911

It is so good to see so many enjoying their glass and tumblers!

Dahtzu, not to worry, it is clear you all will carry the rock tumbler
torch from here. Once in a while I'll pop back in, maybe you will
have wonderful projects completed by then. :-)

Still no word from the job, unsure what on earth that means. Pout.

Kim, love those colors!

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #4127122

kimarj,
good color are you stoping there or going to tumbler more . What was the green piece from it looks textured.

Karen,
how about a part 6 what do ya think? it getting kind of long again .

dahtzu,
They will flaten out in the kiln and then you can drill and use for windchimes.
or you can cut them up for the tumbler nice thicks chunks would make nice necklaces
rebeccanne
Gold Beach, OR
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #4127183

I have been watching this thread for awhile. You guys are so creative. I do love beach glass and wanted to tell you about a project a local guy was doing. Its awesome.

He takes beach glass and lays it out in a big circle, probably16-20 inches wide. Then he lays out the glass and solders it together and makes these awesome wall hangings out of them. He usually leaves a beer bottle or other kind with the top intact. The latest one he is doing is in a donut shape, rather like making a wreath thing out of it. They are really really pretty and he sells them at at the local farmers market. He sells them for $100 apiece and they sell out. He now has a waiting list and I am on it.

They look fantastic hanging in a window and you clean them by putting them in the top shelf of you dishwasher!

When I get mine I will take a picture and show you guys. One he made using blue and green beach glass and had a big bottom of one of those huge water jars in the center. It was awesome.

I am not clever to do this kind of thing, but I am good to encourage others. Keep going guys, I am loving your creativity.
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #4127194

LOL @ "I guess I've been lucky as I've been tumbling steadily for over a month with not a single belt issue"

Double LOL @ "I am pleased"

Remember that brand-spankin' new double barrel tumbler I bought last night? Anybody want to take a guess how long the belt lasted?
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #4127245

hey everybody, thanx Wuvie and Denimangle...yes I will tumble some of the glass more some just a little to make a mosaic fountain for my garden...the green piece is from broken glass fruit I have...now if I can only find the rest ,smash and in it goes :*)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #4127258

I have a huge old mirror, really thick & heavy, with a broken corner. Would tumbling ruin the mirror part? Tks, Cathy
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #4127286

Funny you should ask that Cathy I was thinking the same thing ! Some small pieces got mixed in with my glass they look fine ..they only tumbled 1 day... give it a whirl:)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #4127455

kim, I love your glass. I especially like the fact that it is not dull in color. If you tumble longer, does that make it dull?

rebec., That I want to see. That I would love to do. That I would purchase many tools to do. Hope you can post pic. soon.

Lala, gosh I'm sorry for your mishap. Bet that happ0ens to me too as soon as I get my tumbler. Maybe we should stockpile belts...
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #4127501

Lala
HF will replace the belt... but I have been told that the hoover vac belt # 38528-035 is good for making 4 belts .. cheaper then 1 HF belt
Cheryl
I hope my new tumbler doesnt snap belts .. ill have to send it back again :-(
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2007
2:12 AM

Post #4127577

Faye, tumbling does dull the finish. I had a hard time with that at first, but I've decided to use the smooth, dull glass for the creek bed then use some shiney pieces for accents on the cement slab I hope to pour in front of the deck.

On a whim I stopped at the recycle center today. It wasn't on the agenda, but since I was driving by I thought I'd pop in for a few minute's of scrounging. Boy am I glad I did! With that being my 2nd time there I had become a familiar face. The gents working the sorting line stopped to chat with me and I got their interest when I told them about my projects. They then told me they would hold the blue bottles for me if I PROMISED to come back to get them. Then one of the fellows said, "why I've got a blue bottle in my car right now, do you want it? And of course I said yes! I'm not sure if I can break it though 'cause it's such a cool shape. It's the same size around as the regular bottles, but twice as tall. I may have to turn this one into some other project.

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4127582

I am no expert ...from what I understand the glass takes on a frosty look when tumbled for awhile
...but gets shiny again when wet or oiled...that glass was only tumbled 1 day... btw I did start my fountain:)

Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2007

Post #4127597

Thanks for the tip Cheryl. I thought my first tumbler came with a spare belt, but I'll be darned if I can find it. I wonder how much hassel it will be to get HF to replace it? Will they just send it to me or will I have to return the whole thing? I will definitely pick up the hoover vac belt. How do you cut it to make the 4 seperate belts?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2007
2:36 AM

Post #4127647

Lala,
I havent gotten a hoover belt yet so im not sure about the cutting.
I just called HF and told them and they sent me a replacement but I ordered on line .. you might want to call the store where you bought it .
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2007
3:42 PM

Post #4128897

Come one, come all to our new thread.

This one is getting pretty long, especially for those
who must endure dial-up internet service.

:-) See you here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/784510/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America