Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: It's beginning to look like the tropics (chapter7)

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 28, Views: 183
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2007
9:50 AM

Post #4092097

And especially in the greenhouse.
And so much fragrance when you enter the door,smacks you right in the kisser!!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2007
9:51 AM

Post #4092099

Smell this too!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2007
9:53 AM

Post #4092101

Been blooming for couple months now,but finally coming to an end!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2007
9:55 AM

Post #4092106

Day O,daylight come me wanna go home!!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2007
10:56 AM

Post #4092187

You're talking my language (with the plumeria). I admire people who can grow them in colder climates.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 17, 2007
12:40 PM

Post #4092455

Beautiful TM ...can smell them from here!...I am waiting for mine to come on about a month away ...but the 4'oclocks are popping up all over...many think they are weeds but they smother out the "real" weeds and give great colours and a beautiful jasmine citrus scent to boot- mine get up to 5ft tall and flower until mid winter...as your beautiful babies are getting ready for hibernation mine are getting ready to explode...did I ever tell you about the butt on my oldest snail creeper? it is bigger than your forearm...like a tree almost...that and the others are leafing out fast now...it must be hard for all of you in the areas that are getting the cold Winters coming on...I always say that the last Summer blooms are always the sweetest!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2007
1:52 PM

Post #4092710

Been raining and drizzling for the last 3 days. Everything is look pretty bedraggled.

Thumbnail by LouC

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2007
4:29 PM

Post #4093260

Beautiful plumeria TM - I can just imagine how gorgeous they must smell all together in your greenhouse. I have just bought some new ones from a lady here on island who grows them for shipment all over - can you imagine what her two acres must smell like! We have to have a new septic system put in (still waiting after two years) and the only way into my garden is through the fence at the back, so there go the bougies...going to replace them with a lava wall instead of chain link and the plumies.

Chrissy, what is a snail creeper? I think it maybe what we call snail vine? I love the 4 o'clocks too but have truely found them to be an invasive here with no cold weather to stop them seeding 24/7!

Christi, sorry it's been drizzling for so long - but look how green it is! Would love to have three days of drizzle every now and then, on my side of the island we are lucky to get 9 inches per year so I have been putting in watering systems - the weeds love it!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #4093331

Here is my poor baby plum. Bought it as a stick last year without a clue what it was. Only learned this summer that I have a prize. It is beginning to loose the chlorophyl in the leaves so guess dormancy is near. Another of the beauties I need to bring in soon. Jenny, this has already been declared one of the ten wettest years in Texas history and we still have 2 1/2 months to go. Lost a lot of the drought resistant plants I had because they drowned.
Has been a really good year for tropicals but now I must find somewhere to put them for the winter. I just can't believe you will have to dig up your plumeria. Can it be moved somewhere else on your property?

Chris

Thumbnail by LouC

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 17, 2007
5:36 PM

Post #4093490

BEAUTIFUL - we CAN't grow Plummies here...to wet and cool!!!! But bob's daughter grows them on Maui (MauiPlumeriaGardens) so we get treats when we go there!!!

Congratulations...

Carol
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #4093542

Thanks, Carol. After seeing your beautiful gardens this is kind of funny. lol

I believe Jenny posted somewhere that her property adjoins a plumeria nursery. Could there possibly be a connection? She is in Kihei as I'm sure you already know.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 17, 2007
6:29 PM

Post #4093736

Don't think so as Jennifer (funny coincidence) lives in Haiku which is the other side of the island...

C
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #4093916

Understand. We have had visitors come to Texas and expect to see the entire state in two days...no conception of the size.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 17, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #4094631

Love the pics, TM! I can only imagine having the pleasure of opening that door.

While I was thinking of ways to protect my plumies in case of another freeze this year, DH said why not just get a small greenhouse? Imagine, I didn't even have to talk him into it! So when they are on sale next we will get one and he will make a few modifications. Would love to have a bigger one, but we'll get what the budget will bear. The price will be worth not having to replace the plants again!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #4094903

Thanks everyone,yes when I open the door,smells like heaven,or what I hope it will smell like when I get there!!!!

Lou,like you,I wouldn't think there could be so many climate changes on one island,tells you how much I know!!!
Like the commercial on TV,come to Texas.like a whole country to itself!!!!

Kaperc, you never think of Freeze in San Diego!!
Congrats on getting a greenhouse,your gonna love it!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #4094939

Of course, I have never seen those commercials. It is right. Another whole country.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 18, 2007
12:13 AM

Post #4095027

Another bit of weird weather, TM. We normally might get temps in the mid-30's, but in January it got down to 29 three nights running, which was enough to kill some of my tender stuff. It never occurred to me (I know, it's dumb really) that anything would die. Our pipes froze, too. Lost 4 plumies that would have bloomed this year, plus a bunch of epies. Even some of our native plants suffered. I have a plan for this year just in case - but would love to have the greenhouse ASAP.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 18, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #4095047

Gosh I feel for you...can't imagine it.We had a freeze for about two days and because it was so short nothing actually died...maybe because the earth itself did not freeze...it damaged things a fair bit but nothing died...I just so do admire you all! And feel guilty!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #4095200

My son was living about a mile from the ocean in San Diego,in 1990 when he was a Marine,and he would take his wife and kids up,in what I guess you guys call mountains there,to get some cooler air during the winter time,bragging about walking around in t-shirt and cut off jeans,when I was shoveling the snow off the driveway!!!!

I know some of the guys on the palm forum said they actually lost some palm trees in LA!
Never knew it could get that cold there when your pipes could freeze!!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #4095231

No, I do not live next door to the plumie nursery...

Oh Carol! Jennifer (MauiPlumeriaGardens) IS where I bought my new plumies. I have to tell you that Jennifer and her husband are two of the nicest people...small world! Her husband (I am so sorry, his name escapes me for the moment) even offered to plant them for me when he delivered! Unfortunately because the septic still has not been done they are still in pots...He did mention that Jennifer's family lived on the BI!

If any of you want plumies I can recommend Jennifer's nursery wholeheartedly!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2007
1:17 AM

Post #4095264

So sorry that I got things mixed up.
Good that you have met DD though.

Watching South Pacific this evening...right now Mitzi Gaynor is singing "Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair". Haven't seen this Rodger & Hammerstein in 30 years. So wish we still had those kind of composers.

Mahalo E Ke Akua No Kela La

Christi
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #4095288

Christi, you know more Hawaiian than I do! - lets see, "Thanks be to God for this day" ?? You are going native, girl!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #4095301

I cheated. Have downloaded a list of popular phrases. Used to think French was the most romatinc language until I began to listen to Bruddah Iz. Native Hawaiian would be a wonderful thing.

Christi
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #4095312

Ka, let me know if you find a bargain. I have been all over the internet and haven't found anything that I think I can afford.

LouC
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 18, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #4095709

Christy, you mean the greenhouse? We're getting one from Harbor Freight. Probably the 6x8, unless we can manage the 8x10, which I would really like. The usual places are way too expensive for my needs. We're saving for retirement! I did find one on sale at littlegreenhouse.com that included shipping. You might try there.

Kathleen
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #4095779

Christi,I wanna see you do the hula hula,next time you type Hawaiian!!!!LOL

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2007
10:58 AM

Post #4096148

I agree on Jennifer and her nursery. She has just started a new plant auction site too but I don't think I am allowed to post that here :-)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #4096664

Haven't had a hula skirt since my dad brought one back from WWII. I'll see if I can dig up the pictures...somewhere arround 1945...I was just a toddler. You definitely wouldn't want to see a current version. hahahahaha

Hana Houi

Kilikina

This message was edited Oct 18, 2007 9:19 AM
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #4098223

Auh! You can't scare me!!!LOL!
I'm always game for something or another!!!

Live fast, love hard ,die young song went something like that!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America