Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: flower info

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 1, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
klauer
Crystal River, FL

October 17, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #4093019

I have two plants in my garden one is a lantana the other is a butterfly bush(buddleia) these two plants look very similar I was wondering if they are in the same plant family or completly different also is there away to fivide the lantana.
goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #4097974

Hi, Klauer!
Best suggestion is to go check the plant files here, on DG. It helped me a lot lately.
I don't have these flowers, however I looked them up for you in my encyclopedia, and this is what I found (brief version) that can help you differentiate:
Buddleia:
-loganiaceae family.
-usually fragrant
-propagate by seed in spring, semi-ripe cuttings in summer, or hardwood cuttings in fall.
-many buddleias have flower panicles that resemble the lilac flowers, rich and elongated.
Lantana:
-verbenaceae family
-somehow smaller flowers than buddleia (judging from the few pics there)
-propagate by seed in spring, or semiripe cuttings with bottom heat in summer.
From the pictures in the book, there is one Buddleia (covilei) that looks a lot like a lantana (camara) to me, and I'm talking about the panicle shape (kind of globular) and the leaf shape, however the colors are different, and I cannot say for sure that the dimensions are similar.
Hope it helps, at least for you to try and multiply your plant.
Alex the goofybulb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America