Beginner Gardening: flower info

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening
Forum: Beginner GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
Crystal River, FL

October 17, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #4093019

I have two plants in my garden one is a lantana the other is a butterfly bush(buddleia) these two plants look very similar I was wondering if they are in the same plant family or completly different also is there away to fivide the lantana.

(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #4097974

Hi, Klauer!
Best suggestion is to go check the plant files here, on DG. It helped me a lot lately.
I don't have these flowers, however I looked them up for you in my encyclopedia, and this is what I found (brief version) that can help you differentiate:
-loganiaceae family.
-usually fragrant
-propagate by seed in spring, semi-ripe cuttings in summer, or hardwood cuttings in fall.
-many buddleias have flower panicles that resemble the lilac flowers, rich and elongated.
-verbenaceae family
-somehow smaller flowers than buddleia (judging from the few pics there)
-propagate by seed in spring, or semiripe cuttings with bottom heat in summer.
From the pictures in the book, there is one Buddleia (covilei) that looks a lot like a lantana (camara) to me, and I'm talking about the panicle shape (kind of globular) and the leaf shape, however the colors are different, and I cannot say for sure that the dimensions are similar.
Hope it helps, at least for you to try and multiply your plant.
Alex the goofybulb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America