Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beekeeping: Questions about honey, wax moths and disinfectants.

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 2, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

October 17, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #4094358

Can I give a frame of honey from one hive to annother, or will this make them more likely to rob? I have one really strong hive that I got from a swarm in June and one that is healthy, but not as big that came from a swarm in late july. I think I need to give them additional food for the winter and thought, if I could do it, a frame from the other hive would be perfect.

Also, are wax moths more likely to invade weak or dying hives? Our origional hive died (queen swarmed and they never replaced her) and when I was cleaning it out I noticed wax moths, but no sign of them in either of the healthy hives. Should I worry about the healthy hives and moths?

I found the perfect way to clean them out of the old hive, I put the frames and body in the chicken yard and they have been picked clean. SHould I use a disinfectant on this hive when I finish cleaning it?

The books that I have give conflicting information, so I thought I'd ask for experienced opinions.
jjpm74
Stratford, CT
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #4133746

1. Yes you can swap frames from one hive to another as long as you are sure both hives are healthy. If one isn't, you can spread disease that way.

2. Wax moths attack weak or dead hives.

3. If you plan to reuse the hive that died out, have it irratiated if you think it died out from a disease. Disinfecting is a very bad idea. Are you sure it died because of a lack or requeening and not CCD or foul brood? If that is the only reason, you don't have to do anything to the hive, though I would use new frames if I were you as chickens spread all kinds of diseases.
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

October 29, 2007
3:30 PM

Post #4135525

Yup, no queen. Every cell was empty, but for one queen cell and that had a dead bee in it. There were only a few dead workers and some dead drones in the bottom. So I am pretty sure that's what happened as we know the origional queen split from that hive early last spring. (we have her in annother hive, plus one she started when she left the first.)

I suspected that wax moths only got the weak hives as there is no sign in the others. I tossed out the frames that they used and laid the other pieces in the sun for several days after I scrubbed them a natural castille soap, figuring that would take care of anything else. Now they will have new clean frames and be ready for that Evil Itallian Queen when she splits her hive again (and I know she will, she is such an unfaithful witch).

Tonight I'll give each hive a couple of honey supers in their hive bodies and let them have a nice well fed winter. We already took two frames and harvested the honey and got a little over three pints. I figure that each pint cost me an average of $125 each. Now I know what there are farm subsidies.

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll take experience over a book any day.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America